The back in the day thread

lexi84

I remember back in the day when i used to carry my rattail comb in my back pocket to comb down my always-stickin-up-in-the-back wrap :lachen:

I remember back in the day when I used perm my edges while wearing braided extensions. :blush:

I remember back in the day when I thought super perm made your hair grow :wallbash:

I remember back in the day when i used brown gel for wet sets instead of setting lotion. :lol:

Your turn!

I remember back in the day when my mother was discussing our home perms with our girlfriend's mom and the "success" of the venture was determined by how much hair was in the sink when they were done. "No, girl...she didn't lose but about a handful..."

I remember back in the day when my mother was discussing our home perms with our girlfriend's mom and the "success" of the venture was determined by how much hair was in the sink when they were done. "No, girl...she didn't lose but about a handful..."

wait, they did think that less hair in the sink was more successful, right?

I remember back in the day when I was young I'm not a kid anymore but somedays I sit and wish I was a kid again. . .

totally unhair related though
I remember jumping double dutch til the street lights came on in Brooklyn
I remember hand games like Miss Mary Mack and Down Down Baby
I remember the icee lady in the building
I remember asymetrical stacked hair styles
I remember my Jodeci boots
I rember when kissing a boy was the fastest you could get without fearing murder from your mama
I remember when we use to wear uhm fake pacifier necklaces
I remember those plastic charm belts we use to get from Pitkin Ave.
I rember my first block party.. . .excuse me doug E. excuse me doug E. excuse me doug E. fresh you're on. uh uh on uh uh on. . . . . .

back in the day...

...I used to leave my braids in for 2+ months without washing them once.

...I would snap knots off the end of my hair (oh wait...that was this morning...I need to work on that).

...I allowed my hair dresser to use whatever products she had in the shop on my hair and never once asked what they were.

...I would wear a ponytail everyday and spray it with ISOPLUS sheen, the one in the blue can, just because I like the way it smelled.

wait, they did think that less hair in the sink was more successful, right?

:lachen:Yes but we did use a LOT of hair with those home perms. They came in one strength - DRY & BALD. BUT you could save SOME of your hair if you kept it slathered regularly with Royal Crown grease.

I remember baby hair that wasn't even baby hair, lol
I remember them flat *** bangs and how i would keep pressing it to my forehead to make it flatter, lol
and I soo remember wearing goggles on my hair with a high peacock pony tail, lol
Dang, I can go on for days, lol, let me quit now before it gets worse

back in the day...

...I used to leave my braids in for 2+ months without washing them once.

...I would snap knots off the end of my hair (oh wait...that was this morning...I need to work on that).

...I allowed my hair dresser to use whatever products she had in the shop on my hair and never once asked what they were.

...I would wear a ponytail everyday and spray it with ISOPLUS sheen, the one in the blue can, just because I like the way it smelled.

You and me both, it's just so much easier than working out the little sucker.

I remember my momma pressin' my hair with Crisco shortening:blush::lachen::lachen:. incidently, gave the prettiest press, even if it smelled like burnt chicken:lachen::grin:.

I remember Michael's greasy Jherri curl...and the one I had just like it!!!!!!!!:lachen:

Attachments

• Myisha7.jpg
    Myisha7.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Myisha.jpg
    Myisha.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 132
I remember back when I first found hair boards and not being able to sleep for about a month.

I remember back in the day...applying relaxer to my front edges only (3 weeks post relaxer) just because it wouldn' lay as smooth as it did with a fresh relaxer :perplexed I couldn't bare going just 3 more weeks with fuzzy edges :lachen:

I remember back in the day...pulling my hair in the tightest ponytail known to man, slapping gel on and tying it with a silk scarf

I remember back in the day...butterfly clips were the ish!

I remember back in the day...feeling nonchalant about shedding and breakage

I remember back in the day...PS..what's a PS??

I remember back in the day...greasing my scalp with Soft Sheen grease!!...the blue one :lachen:

I remember back in the day...flaunting a fresh perm and feeling like beyonce walking down the street (i still do this :grin:)

...I remember looking at these two pics every day and dreaming about having long relaxed hair

:love:
3273618754_1bbe73508a_m.jpg
3273618766_3f06fcfaed_m.jpg

...I remember relaxing more than four times a year

...I did bantu knots in my hair as protective style

...I put yolk in my hair and washed it off with beer (protein treatment), the next day I'd go to school with hair smelling like beer, Belgians love beer so they thought I was awesome:grin:

...I remember listening to that Just for Me tape that came along with the relaxer kit and singing along :lol:

...I remember my mom doing the African thread thing on my hair, she would always do it in the presence of my father so that I wouldn't cry and complain all the time

...I remember only having one shampoo and one conditioner (that is no longer the case:lachen:)

...I remember wearing braids for months without washing my hair

...I only washed my relaxed hair once a month or biweekly

...I remember sleeping on a cotton pillow

...I remember the smell of the Just for Me hair lotion, not so different from the Pink oil thing:nono:

memories memories:)

Great thread OP!

I remember back in the day when my hair was natural, I thought if I cut bangs the hair would lay down by itself if I combed enough.

Needless to say I was disappointed :rolleyes:

remember back in the day...putting these metal clips in my hair with a whole bunch of brown gel to get fingerwaves

I remember back in the day...shaving off half of my hair trying to put "points" on the side of my hair

I remember back in the day...dying my hair with peroxide so it could be lighter

I remember back in the day.. traveling to philly to get a jherri curl done by Liz & daughters because they were the best at what they did

..I would snap knots off the end of my hair (oh wait...that was this morning...I need to work on that).

Yeah, I do that sometimes, not often, but I still need to stop!

Back in the day my grandma would use goo gobs of vaseline on my hair when she pressed it.

Back in the day I WOULD NOT BE SEEN IN PUBLIC without my braided extensions. This occurred for about 3 years. I didn't think I was fooling anyone:sekret:, but I hated my hair.

I have since fallen in love with it.

I remember back in the day useing butterfly clips to clip every piece of my hair up into these crazy styles

I remember back in the day rapping my "knockers" around the ends of my hair everyday cuz it made my ponytails look longer and swing

I remember sneaking to the mirror after I got my perm and the conditioner was in my hair. I'd take the cap off and swing my hair wet cuz it looked like white peoples hair as I called it

I remember useing barettes and pinning my 2 ponytails across the top of my head to make a crown

I remember trying to rollerset my hair when I was maybe 10 or 12 and getting mad that I didn't get good results.

I remember useing pink oil lotion for EVERYTHING, and that Just for Me song? My favorite!

That's all I can think of right now

You and me both, it's just so much easier than working out the little sucker.

I never try to work them out...I just cut them right above the knot. It's just that I'm usually in the car when I find the knots (it helps me pass the time in rush hour) so I just snap them off. It's really bad because it always messes up the end of the strand, it's never a clean break.

I remember back when I first found hair boards and not being able to sleep for about a month.

Oh my goodness. When I first found LHCF I literally read threads for weeks. I mean I went back to the beginning. I learned so much that way though...I wish other people would do that more often, there wouldn't be so many repeat threads.

I never try to work them out...I just cut them right above the knot. It's just that I'm usually in the car when I find the knots (it helps me pass the time in rush hour) so I just snap them off. It's really bad because it always messes up the end of the strand, it's never a clean break.

Oh my goodness. When I first found LHCF I literally read threads for weeks. I mean I went back to the beginning. I learned so much that way though...I wish other people would do that more often, there wouldn't be so many repeat threads.

Yes Mam, That My dear is the Best, to this Day I read the Old Threads, that is how you can also compare what worked, what changed and so forth and so on!

i remember using pantene two-in-one like once a month and thinking my hair was all good

i remember my mother putting mayo on my hair for 'shine' and being totally grossed out

i remember my mother putting relaxers through my whole head

i remember the curling iron EVERYDAY

i remember my sister cutting my bangs too short and they would always stick straight up in the air, never flat.

i remember wondering why my relaxed colored hair wouldnt grow.....

I remember.....

- Cotton Pillow cases and broken edges
- Cutting my hair in the 8th grade because I wanted my hair to look like T-boz.... lets just say I didn't quite get it right
- Wetting my short relaxed hair and scrunching it up with gel and mouse so i could have the "wet look"
- getting a perm every 4 weeks
- washing braids?? who ever heard of that!
- staring at the Perm boxes and wondering my my hair never looked like that :(
- my sister and I putting towels on our hair and pretending we had long "white people" hair

I remember my momma pressin' my hair with Crisco shortening:blush::lachen::lachen:. incidently, gave the prettiest press, even if it smelled like burnt chicken:lachen::grin:.

I remember Michael's greasy Jherri curl...and the one I had just like it!!!!!!!!:lachen:

OMG! That pic of you as a little girl is so cute

:nono: that's just wrong!

I remember wearing the Peacock Ponytail back in the 8th grade (chile it used to sit straight up on my head) And I thought it was soooo cute
I remember hardly wearing a scarf to bed and when I did it was never satin
I remember gelin my bang down to my forehead with the black gel
I remember never washing my hair (mind you I was in the 10th - 12th grade)
I remember get relaxers pulled all the way to the ends of my hair
I remember letting the relaxer burn my scalp (u know when it burnt that met it was bone straight)
I remember putting highlights in my own hair and never taking care of it afterwards, sooo much breakage
I remember trying to smooth down my edges with Pink lotion...lol
I remember putting the Hair Grease top over my ear when my mom pressed my hair in that area.
I remember screaming when my mom burned me pressing my hair and she'd yell..."That was the grease not me!"
I remember getting sewn in tracks and never taking care of them or my real hair that was hanging out.
I remember burning out my hair with the Marcel curling irons...traumatic!
I remember curling my hair every day
I remember gettin my first relaxer in the 6th grade
I remember crimping my hair with the Marcels and spraying half the bottle of spritz in it while doing...all so the crimps would hold.
I remember thinkin dirty hair grew fast....lol

Last edited:
Back