The back in the day thread

I remember cutting different shapes (stars and hearts) from the cardboard that comes with your stockings, and then using that "spray hair color in the blue bottle" get different designs in my hair....LOL

I remember using peroxide and then the ginger dye to match pepa from salt and pepper and then getting the hair cut, man you couldn't tell me nothing...:lachen:

I remember "beveling" my hair with my gold-n-hot "bevel" iron every single day. I would spray my hair with the Fantasia super hold spritz in the brown and pink bottle, then immediately go over my hair with my "bevel" iron. The sizzling sound meant that my spiked bangs would be
perfect!! :spinning: I would do my whole head so that I could have that "piecy" looking bob hairstyle......oh the things we did back in the day....:drunk: Oh and the next day I would use pink lotion to moisturize before I started the process all over again.......

I remember back in the day wearing beads on every strand of hair I could braid and nearly snapping my neck off listening to them clank (is that a word???) - but that was the only swaaaang I could manage to get! :lachen:

Back in the day I remember……Sitting what seems like hours for my mom to braid and bead my hair and put aluminum foil on the ends.

---Sitting in the kitchen while my always sleepy mom pressed my hair(she never burned me while she was sleepy but the one time she was away she got my ear)

----Putting hair spray in my hair it to make it big

----Using brown gel to slick my edges down

----Using a electric hot comb to straighten my 3 wks post edges

----Texlaxing my daughter’s hair at 2

----Having a jherri curl and using comb to hold the sides up so I could look like MJ

----Cutting a whole plait because my mom would not let me go to the store with her

I remember wearing the Peacock Ponytail back in the 8th grade (chile it used to sit straight up on my head) And I thought it was soooo cute
I remember hardly wearing a scarf to bed and when I did it was never satin
I remember gelin my bang down to my forehead with the black gel
I remember never washing my hair (mind you I was in the 10th - 12th grade)
I remember get relaxers pulled all the way to the ends of my hair
I remember letting the relaxer burn my scalp (u know when it burnt that met it was bone straight)
I remember putting highlights in my own hair and never taking care of it afterwards, sooo much breakage
I remember trying to smooth down my edges with Pink lotion...lol
I remember putting the Hair Grease top over my ear when my mom pressed my hair in that area.
I remember screaming when my mom burned me pressing my hair and she'd yell..."That was the grease not me!"
I remember getting sewn in tracks and never taking care of them or my real hair that was hanging out.
I remember burning out my hair with the Marcel curling irons...traumatic!
I remember curling my hair every day
I remember gettin my first relaxer in the 6th grade
I remember crimping my hair with the Marcels and spraying half the bottle of spritz in it while doing...all so the crimps would hold.
I remember thinkin dirty hair grew fast....lol

lol isn't this myth still floating around ? :lachen::lachen: i remember not washing my hair for weeeeeeks because of this! lol

washing my hair every 2-3 weeks (kinda gross when I think about it now) using Dax grease and pink oil moisturizer. Hot curling my Halle Berry hair cut everyday to keep it fresh to death. lol.

I remember the burns on my forehead, ears and neck from using the irons that came with the oven. I also burned off my hair a few times using it. I would actually see hair come off on it! I remember going over my hair several times with flat irons and clamping tighter in frizzy areas to make it straight. I remember detangling my and my daughters hair with shampoo in it so it would be tangle free when I used the conditioner (and not understand what she was crying for). I remember using three different permanent hair colors in one day bcuz of a botched diy highlights job I did. my hair was an ugly brassy color for weeks. I remember flst ironing my hair nearly every day to sport my singnature flipped do. Surprisingly my edges were very thick. I remember when I had shedding or breakage I would just say I had layers and continue to get my hair cut in layers.

I remember taking my relaxer all the way to the ends so it could be
REAL STRAIGHT......

I remember sitting for hours every night with my Pink Oil lotion and Vaseline creating my daily french roll.....using ProTek Gel and those clips in the front to create "fingerwaves", spraying it all with Isoplus.....:brainfog:..and Pump It UP!...tying it up and tryin my best to sleep "pretty". So I wouldn't "MESS UP" my hair.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'd do it all again the next day without water, washing it....nothing.

Thank God this is now just a memory:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back in the day I remember messing up a whole lot of pillow cases with my jheri curl and smelling plenty of RIGHT ON, and going to school with dripping wet hair and having wet spots on the back of my shirt that lasted all day from the from the "activator". And when I ran out of the Right On, I used my moms Wave Neauvu stuff.
I remember using the the blue greese all the time and curling my hair every day before I went to school. I remember looking at the white girls in school wondering why I couldn't ever get MY hair to grow....
I remember seeing Jane Kennedy in a movie, and she became my "hair idol"

Last but not least.. I remember in the back of magazines, Ebony included, they would show this girl with hair all the way down her back, I forget what it was called, but if you bought it it was suppose to make your hair grow, and I saw that ad for years wondering if it really worked..

I remember using orange neon colored gel to make my sideburns squiggly and to have my bang stay bumped. I think if I smelt that gel today, it would make me sick.

I remember begging mom to buy Jam.

Relaxed days:

JAM, my edges, and the edges toothbrush. Then I graduated to a fine tooth comb... :rolleyes:

Having my entire head highlighted with foil. :nono: :pullhair:

Having my hair wet wrapped all the time. :ohwell:

Pink oil sheen spritz mess (1.5 years ago). :offrant:

Motionssss oil sheen... actually Motions anything and everything

Holding onto flat, lifeless hair styles, no washing, for 2-3, sometimes 2-4 and once or twice, 5 weeks. :whyme:

Mama relaxing me at home and leaving them in until it burned.... getting Motion's herbal relaxer thinking it'd do a little sommethin somethin. :rolleyes:

Letting my cousin "lay down them edges" so I'd "look cute" once. Her still saying I lookeded (yes, lookeded) cute. :shh:

Mama trimming the front and back of my hair with very blunt scissors (because I'd been trimming and flat ironing [slanted, mind you] my hair to try and get it to be like my fav white stars on Seventh Heaven and Dawson's Creek) and being teased in the 9th grade for having a split-ends mullet. :nono:

Always keeping two long pieces on both sides of my face out in the front, laying over my forehead..... like droopy antennae. :giggle:

PRO-V gel.

Natural days:

Picking out ballies and barrettes with my father for what theme I wanted in my hair that week before he did it... :cloud9:

Aloe vera gel for those edges.

Lots and lots of grease... and scalp greasing...

Scalp scratching before a wash... :look:... time between those washes... :rolleyes:

Indian hemp.

I remember back in the day:

1. Aquanet hair spray
2. wearing foil paper on the end of my braids.:look:
3. wearing that side pony tail
4. Babyhair:lachen:
5. wanting an afro and jherri curl
6. wearing my hair in stacks with bamboo earrings
7. spraying my hair with gold spray to give myself streaks.:lachen:

I remember back in the day:

1. Aquanet hair spray
2. wearing foil paper on the end of my braids.:look:
3. wearing that side pony tail
4. Babyhair:lachen:
5. wanting an afro and jherri curl
6. wearing my hair in stacks with bamboo earrings
7. spraying my hair with gold spray to give myself streaks.:lachen:

Maaaannnnn!! That Aquanet was the TRUTH!! Only cost $1.00 too. I used to buy it at Woolworth. Your whole hairdo would move in one piece - like a hat. Then the next day I would comb it out, curl it AGAIN and add MORE Aquanet. This cycle would continue until the 3rd or 4th day when the Aquanet would turn into white ash and I had to wash it.

I remember.....

- Cotton Pillow cases and broken edges
- Cutting my hair in the 8th grade because I wanted my hair to look like T-boz.... lets just say I didn't quite get it right
- Wetting my short relaxed hair and scrunching it up with gel and mouse so i could have the "wet look"
- getting a perm every 4 weeks
- washing braids?? who ever heard of that!
- staring at the Perm boxes and wondering my my hair never looked like that :(
- my sister and I putting towels on our hair and pretending we had long "white people" hair

How could I have forgotten that bath towel drapped over my head and swinging from the left to the right.:lachen:
Sometimes I would put a rubber band around it for a long thick ponytail.:look::lachen::lachen::lachen:

.....asking my mom "Can I wear my hair down"
....wearing a pajama top pulled over my head and hair "swangin"
.....Pink Lotion
.....my mom burning me with the hot comb but knowing how beautiful I would be after
.....spinning around in my favorite dress (it had a little petticoat under)
.....faithfully relaxing every 4 to 5 weeks (uhh...that was last year)

I remember.....

- Cotton Pillow cases and broken edges
- Cutting my hair in the 8th grade because I wanted my hair to look like T-boz.... lets just say I didn't quite get it right
- Wetting my short relaxed hair and scrunching it up with gel and mouse so i could have the "wet look"
- getting a perm every 4 weeks
- washing braids?? who ever heard of that!
- staring at the Perm boxes and wondering my my hair never looked like that :(
- my sister and I putting towels on our hair and pretending we had long "white people" hair

I am still mad that my hair NEVER looked like those girls on that box!!!:lachen:

I remember putting a long sleeve shirt on my head and making 2 long ponytails with the sleeves :look:

I remember putting RAVE hair spray on my jeri curl so that my style with hold :look:

I remember begging my mom to dye the ends of my hair platinum blond so that it would look like the 80's rock singer Berlin who sang the song " Take my breath away" or begging to dye my hair bright red like Cyndi Lauper...:nono:

I remember back in the day when I was young I'm not a kid anymore but somedays I sit and wish I was a kid again. . .

totally unhair related though
I remember jumping double dutch til the street lights came on in Brooklyn
I remember playing street skelly while waiting for my turn, and wishing like hell you would miss, so I could get my last jump in before that loud voice would holler out the window summoning me inside
I remember hand games like Miss Mary Mack and Down Down Baby
I remember trying to score any free wall for a game of handball; scraping together all the coins we could find to buy a Spaulding
I remember the icee lady in the building
Umm those were the days; with her cherry ice and a wrench to open the fire hydrant, NY in the summer was close to Heaven
I remember asymetrical stacked hair styles
And those bad wigs ...
I remember my Jodeci boots :yep:
I rember when kissing a boy was the fastest you could get without fearing murder from your mama ... up on the roof of the projects
I remember when we use to wear uhm fake pacifier necklaces :yep:
I remember those plastic charm belts we use to get from Pitkin Ave
... and the fact that shopping would take all day, between the fish market and the A&P; but your shopping buggy would be filled with treasure when you got home... of course the elevator would usually be out, so you'd have to walk up the steps, and your friends would get drafted to help
I rember my first block party.. . .excuse me doug E. excuse me doug E. excuse me doug E. fresh you're on. uh uh on uh uh on. . . . . .
NO ONE on this earth can do a block party like NY... I think we hold a patent on it. Remember the barbque ribs, chicken, potato salad and bean pies?

Good times, good memories ...

Getting my hair pressed in a garage turned hair salon by one of the church ladies
Using tons & tons of hairspray
Using a curling iron everyday
Using an electric straightening comb
Shaving my hair on the side and dying the top red and the back blue black
Washing my hair sporadically
I was a braid queen and the only time my hair got washed is when they took the braids out in the shop. They would wash it for me and put braids right back in.
Sleeping with nothing on my head
Hair covering the bathroom floor
Pulling relaxers all the way through and letting it stay in my hair until it burned

I remember always having a charms lollipop in my ponytail.
.... getting a perm everytime I went to the beauty parlor.
.... wanting a jheri curl.
.... hiding from the rain.
.... getting braids so tight that I'd have hair bumps!
.... using grease and water.
.... being told that " you have that good hair" because water makes it curly.

I remember back in the day when i used to carry my rattail comb in my back pocket to comb down my always-stickin-up-in-the-back wrap :lachen:

I remember back in the day when I used perm my edges while wearing braided extensions. :blush:

I remember back in the day when I thought super perm made your hair grow :wallbash:

I remember back in the day when i used brown gel for wet sets instead of setting lotion. :lol:

Your turn!

That's me girl! my curls use to be so crunchy!

I remember back in the day when
-I used to beg my mom for some dookie braids :nono:
- getting finger waves in my bangs:nono:
-flat ironing my hair everyday because it soo humid (actually that was last year:perplexed)

i remember back in the day...
- when my mom would tell me to hold my ear so she wouldn't burn me when hot-combing my edges.
- when my perm burned, i was told to jog around the house outside or blow a fan to get through it
- crying when i even THOUGHT about getting my hair combed out
- washing my hair every 2 weeks minimum
- greasing my scalp was a ritual
- this could go on forever lol

Last edited:
Back in the day I used that neon orange curl wax to curl my hair and I didn't think that it was working until it sizzled.
I used brown gel.
Glued in weave .
Rarely deep conditioned.
Would always cut my hair even to the shortest layer.(thinking my hair would not grow)
Then thought I was doing my hair a favor by slapping some grease on it :rolleyes:

wearing the peacock pony tail
wearing a cotton bandana to sleep at night thinking i was protecting my hair
using a large tub of hair gel in one month
washing every 2 weeks thinking my hair would fall out if i didnt!!!
dying and perming the same day
too tight pony tails to get the chinky eyes...now my hairline is high as mnt rushmore

Last edited:
I remember back in the day when I used to sneak into my parents' room and try on my mother's short wigs then sing Breathe Again by Toni Braxton

I rember wearing baggy clothes and trying to do the whole Aaliyah thing

I rember my Mel B inspired hairstyle which I thought was the best thing ever

I remeber flinching when anyone who wasn't related to me slightly touched my hair (I took tender-headed-ness to a whole new level)

I remember having the biggest smile when my hair was in two afro puffs because they were bigger than my youngest and older sisters.

All this remembering makes me want to go back to the 90's when things were simple...

Back