Starter Marriages

DSP

Starter marriages are brief first-time marriages (lasting 5 years or less) that end before children enter the picture. The couples usually have a flaky reason for getting married (a strong desire for a wedding, wanting to leave the parents' home, peer pressure, etc.) and aren't prepared for the reality of married life.

Did you have a starter marriage? Do you know of someone who had one or is about to enter into one? I know of at least two.

Starter Marriage #1:

My old boss's daughter got engaged to a boy her senior year of college. That whole year was drama-filled as she planned her "royal wedding." Old Boss even dipped into company funds to pay for the honeymoon. Six months after the wedding of the century, she left her husband and moved back home with her parents. Old Boss was still paying for that wedding long after the divorce. :nono:

Starter Marriage #2:

One of my college friends was a very pretty girl who was a bit heavy. Our senior year she met this guy who treated her like crap and convinced her her no one else wanted her. We all hated his ***, but she wasn't hearing it. One month after graduation he proposed. They were married 6 months later. That was the saddest wedding I've ever been to -- all her friends were crying because we hated him so much. (OT: her dad actually had a shotgun in his trunk in case jerko tried to runaway:lachen:). That marriage lasted 2 years and she gained 120 lbs. due to stress. Her current marriage to a wonderful man is going on its tenth year and she looks fabulous.

Any other starter marriage stories?

I didn't know they had a name for these type marriages.

one

A guy that worked here at this office, dates this woman for 2 years. This marriage was to be the combining of two powerful families. It's a big deal, it's in every local paper. He makes a big deal about her being a virgin. They come back from the honeymoon and he files from an annulment. (I always thought he was gay). He never remarried and she moved away. My belief is that he couldn't consummate the marriage.:yep:

one

A guy that worked here at this office, dates this woman for 2 years. This marriage was to be the combining of two powerful families. It's a big deal, it's in every local paper. He makes a big deal about her being a virgin. They come back from the honeymoon and he files from an annulment. (I always thought he was gay). He never remarried and she moved away. My belief is that he couldn't consummate the marriage.:yep:

I wonder what really went down. I can feel the pain. He never remarried and she moved away?

one

He saw those lady-parts and ran screaming.:lachen:

OT: Thanks for removing "Miss Skidmarks" from your siggy. My retinas were burning.:nono::nono::nono:

A friend of mine married a guy almost 1 year to the day of meeting him.

Her younger sister was the golden child: prestigious university, meets Mr. Right, gets married and moves across the country. Big sis was just trying to catch up. Her parents also paid a grip for the wedding, so I think she felt obligated to go through with it. The groom didn't/wouldn't pay for a honeymoon.

She was having nightmares and panic attacks on a regular basis leading up to the wedding. There were signs that she chose to ignore. People suggested that she just postpone the wedding, if she didn't want to call it off completely. After the wedding they moved to where his job was located, and that is when he really showed his a*s. They were divorced within a year.

Her younger sister was the golden child: prestigious university, meets Mr. Right, gets married and moves across the country. Big sis was just trying to catch up. Her parents also paid a grip for the wedding, so I think she felt obligated to go through with it. The groom didn't/wouldn't pay for a honeymoon.

She was having nightmares and panic attacks on a regular basis leading up to the wedding. There were signs that she chose to ignore. People suggested that she just postpone the wedding, if she didn't want to call it off completely. After the wedding they moved to where his job was located, and that is when he really showed his a*s. They were divorced within a year.

I feel for her. I am sure that made her feel even worse about herself. She went through a divorce and the younger sister is still happily married.

I know a similar story, except she hurried to get married on a whim 6 months before her younger sisters huge wedding. A year later he was incarcerated facing at least 7 years and another year later she pregnant with her boyfriends baby. I thiks shes happy now:look:

Back