Spinoff: What's Your Bare Minimum Salary Requirement For So/dh?

How do you spend $15-20 on gas/ month? You mean like right now you're doing this? Do you take the metro or walk a lot of places? Do you get discounts? I just updated my budget and am allocating $80 for gas/mo lol. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Please help :lol:
Ohhhh my mean gas for my apartment. I spend $35 a week on gas for my car.
However in two weeks I start my new job- 100% telework except the times I have to go to DoDIG for meetings. I just broke the six figures with this job. My boo now makes $30K less than me. If our incomes combined (marriage) - we would do very well for this area.

The same is going to happen for you when y'all two get married. I want an invite to the wedding. I can take photos lol

Ohhhh my mean gas for my apartment. I spend $35 a week on gas for my car.
However in two weeks I start my new job- 100% telework except the times I have to go to DoDIG for meetings. I just broke the six figures with this job. My boo now makes $30K less than me. If our incomes combined (marriage) - we would do very well for this area.

The same is going to happen for you when y'all two get married. I want an invite to the wedding. I can take photos lol

Omg girl :lol: I just knew you was about to save me money :lachen:

Congrats on the new 6fig job!!! And 100% telework? Man listen :lol:

Whoever I marry, ain't gon be no wedding. You can come to the courthouse tho lol

It's not just how much he makes but what he does with it. :look: I come from a family of savers. I'm not getting with a man who makes six figures but spends it on dumb ****. He needs to be saving and investing for down the road if his work situation changes. I'm seeing people my parents age who make six figures comfortably but cannot retire because they didn't save while my parents can relax and I'm not about that life. :nono2: That said, where I live you need at least $100k at the bare minimum. And even if I move, I'm accustomed to a certain lifestyle and that's not going to change. :afro:

No less than $50,000. NYC (even here in the Bronx) is not cheap. My boyfriend isn't making a six figure salary but he has no debt. I'm the one with one that needs to get rid of the credit card debt and student loans. He saves, owns property and takes care of his two children on his own. The downside is he is a workaholic which means less time for me and his family.

My current salary and a similar salary projection over his career. After dating my ex, I'm not interested in someone who cannot provide/match the lifestyle I desire and currently have. I don't really care about material items but even THINKING about making noise about paying for a good meal, trip, etc is a turn off.

How he manages his money is also incredibly important. I have no debt, I expect the same (except maybe a mortgage but one he can afford and pay off in 15 years lol).

Bare minimum? Maybe like -10k. No maximum, obvs. :look:. With my ex, I assumed we were earning around the same amount because he was an engineer in tech and I'm a designer in the same industry . Engineers are typically paid much better than designers in the industry. But come to find out, I was making quite a bit more, possibly because I wasn't working for a start-up like he was.

He was def low-key resentful because I still had expectations of being treated and wasn't totally into that going Dutch life. I didn't like the dynamic it created. The worst combo, imo, is a tight dude who also earns less.

There's more like a set of priorities I look for now rather than a number:
The most important being this-he HAS to believe that it is his job to provide for our family and he will do whatever it takes to ensure our needs are met.

Others
-Should make at least as much as me but preferably more

-CANNOT work at a non-profit-I'm the only one who can afford to have a bleeding heart and throw myself into a profession where I will make MUCH less than I would in the private sector. I can't have a man whose job depends on grants, or works for an agency that does not/can not give regular raises.

-If he has a child he has to make enough to pay maximum child support but still live very comfortably.

-I'm looking at what assets he has so far.

-At the age I'm looking at (35-40) he should be firmly established in his career and have upward mobility still in mind.

Last edited:
I'm married but my only requirement was that they had lived and stood on their own two feet. I required that they had their own place and had held it down successfully! They have to know how to take care of business.

Two of my recently married friends have complained about issues that, imo, wouldn't have been issues had the men lived on their own first. Like they're just learning how to pay bills on time by themselves, do laundry, cook, clean, yard work by themselves, etc cuz they are coming straight from parents house.

A friend of mine was living with her bf, but decided it would be best if they lived apart for a while specifically because she wanted him to live alone before they got married lol.

Yea, I don't feel like doing that much 'growing together' :look: I mean at least come with some ideas and we can merge them. Let me see that you can do it by yourself first. Successfully.

What if they left home and moved in with a wife or gf? Is that living on their own?
It's interesting that you all are saying that because I've said the same thing and I thought I was weird for it. In fact, my player friend asked me why would I want my man to live alone....so he can have room to cheat? He knew that was my trigger lol jerk.

What if they left home and moved in with a wife or gf? Is that living on their own?
It's interesting that you all are saying that because I've said the same thing and I thought I was weird for it. In fact, my player friend asked me why would I want my man to live alone....so he can have room to cheat? He knew that was my trigger lol jerk.

No :lol: not to me

No. My ex husband did that- left his mom's house to move in with me. That was part of our issues besides his cheating. He didn't understand bills needed to be paid. His mother even paid his cell phone bill so he didn't get living required more than just a car note.

What about roommates?

I could compromise on that right now, at 26 in the dmv. He'd need to be actively doing things to get out on his own tho. Like I need to see your 'saving for a house account' with my eyes. After being with someone who has a whole 2bedroom house to himself, it would be less than ideal lol but I am compassionate on the 20something high COL wanna buy a house issue.

And yea, @PrissiSippi this is the same reason why I'm inflexible on the salary requirement right now. Because a) you live within 30mins of dc and b) at 26, you've been out of undergrad for 4yrs. Should've parlayed more money by now, 4yrs is a long time.

And no, I don't date full time grad/med/law school students, residents, or people who use stipends as their full income. Tried it, hated it. So you have no money AND no time for me? :lol: how pointless.

hey every little bit helps! Lol

I mine genomic data from clinical trials and look for base pair (DNA) changes (across lots of different clinical trials). So if there's a base pair change that occurs in a..certain number of patients (relative to the total number of patients' data I'm looking at-which is thousands at a time), these can be established as "biomarkers". Then clinicians can test for these biomarkers in other patients that display the disease phenotype, which can lead to diagnosis. Which is 1 area of personalized medicine.

Also, researchers can use biomarkers to "re-purpose" (that's not the word lol) drugs that are already on the market....and do like a virtual clinical trial, instead of a real life clinical trial (less time money effort). To see how a certain population of patients would respond to whatever drug they want to market differently.

I create user friendly pipelines to mine all of this data. I have to create different ones depending on the drug reaction/disease the trial is looking at, cuz you want your program to pick up all the biomarkers that are already known, too. Which is different for different things.

I do this with open source software like QIIME and mothUr, bioinformatics tools like genome reference alignment and variant calling, and languages and packages like R, python, Matlab, and Github.

I also standardize clinical and non clinical trial data in the format that's compliant with the FDA. And they only accept it in 1 format.

It's true that clinical research organizations are paying 23andme millions of dollars to have access to their genomic database (to do virtual clinical trials with). But I guess people had to sign a consent form? Yea I mean I wouldn't count on that if I were you :lol: money talks.

This is 1 branch of data science AND 1 branch of bioinformatics. Which are 2 different things, imo.

And this is all I do now. No more wetlab :cry3: (tears of joy lol)

My eyes crossed reading this.... Expect to see my optometrist bill in the mail sometime next week. . #YouIsSmart :laugh:

ETA- But regarding the topic on hand.. where I live now 75K is more than sufficient, cost of living is super cheap and that's more than enough to spoil me accordingly. Where I'm moving to..I expect nothing less than 100-150K to start.

Back