Spinoff: What's Your Bare Minimum Salary Requirement For So/dh?

I'm just go sit this rightchea
2012-Black-Family-income.jpg

1969-to-2014-Black-Household-Income-Chart-wht-500.jpg

see this is why:

1. all my black girlfriends have been unicorns I handpicked early on
2. I can't be bothered with black men unless he is willing to kill himself by working day and night to make sure I have enough money to be happy. I cannot be married to average. I deserve and need to end up with the big d*ck. :look:

You're right. That could be a lot of things :lol: And now that I think of it, I don't think "analyst" is actually in his current job title. But it was in his previous job! If that helps? :lol:

That's what my mom said (about his not having loans) :lol: He went to a public, in state college that his dad paid for. He'll be done with his MBA in the Spring which he used tuition reimbursement and his own money to pay for. He has 1 married older brother.

Niceee.. He sounds like he is also really smart with money...

Niceee.. He sounds like he is also really smart with money...

Id say so. He bought his house at 24 as a short sale and him and his dad did all the repairs. But when he bought it, he said money was real tight lol so he got a pt job as a cashier until he made enough from his career job. Hes said he's glad we didn't meet earlier in life cuz he wouldn't have been able to afford me :lachen: and i ain't even that bad, so I know he was broke afffff :lol:

Id say so. He bought his house at 24 as a short sale and him and his dad did all the repairs. But when he bought it, he said money was real tight lol so he got a pt job as a cashier until he made enough from his career job. Hes said he's glad we didn't meet earlier in life cuz he wouldn't have been able to afford me :lachen: and i ain't even that bad, so I know he was broke afffff :lol:

Awwww :cry3::cry3: I like him! that's so cute to me. He sounds like a keeper.

you know someone that can survive on 60K in DC?!

I didnt know that was possible :spinning:
I did. I have a 2Br/2Ba right outside DC- $1500/month in a decent area where I can leave my car door unlocked at night. Gas is $15-25 a month, lights is no more than $60. I had other bills so that drove my expenses up but a single man with no kids- definitely can live off $60K/year WITH a car if he knew how to budget and didn't spend wastefully.

I am not really materialistic though and very low maintenance. I like men who are fiscally responsible and follow people like Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey. I rather a man have a large savings account/ 401K than a high paying job that could be lost if we hit another recession.

Last edited:
You're right. That could be a lot of things :lol: And now that I think of it, I don't think "analyst" is actually in his current job title. But it was in his previous job! If that helps? :lol:

That's what my mom said (about his not having loans) :lol: He went to a public, in state college that his dad paid for. He'll be done with his MBA in the Spring which he used tuition reimbursement and his own money to pay for. He has 1 married older brother.

And tbh, i dont think he should be making as much as he's making :lol: I feel like he is grossly overpaid and I don't understand why he makes so much more money than me :lachen: yea im salty

He is a very smart man. Very financially responsible. Love it!
My boo doesn't have student loans either.

13 years ago- I only wanted to date men who were in the military so I could be an Army wife. I never did but ended up joining the Army myself.
6 years ago- my goal was to date/marry a man who made 6 figures. Then I just ended up doing it myself (new job - 17 days from now *yay*).

So now my only *must have* is a man that doesn't have debt. Or if he does, there isn't a lot. I wanted him to save for retirement, save for emergencies, have life insurance. Make enough money to pay for our mortgage, etc., I got the utilities and groceries.

I do taxes for a private CPA with a lot of high net worth clients. One interesting couple- wife was a doctor and made over $100K. Husband was a maintenance worker for a rental business. He made no more than $50K. But he bought 2 houses and rented them out- made extra income like that. Houses were in his name alone. They seemed happy- she had just had their second child.

So my thoughts on it- I think overall Black women are going to have a very hard time finding Black men that make a lot of money and want to be husbands and fathers, in addition to checking all of her other boxes (height, weight, education, teeth, etc.). In certain circles, it may be a lot easier but generally speaking...

To quote another brother, "They know they are in demand." I know a lot of paid men that are still f&cking around in their early forties. A lot of them think women, especially Black women, are gold diggers, and with how easy sex has become- they don't feel the need to work for it. If one woman won't, another will.

That said I do agree with one poster that said men don't like their women making more than them. I already know if one chick I work with, last time she got promoted and got a $10K raise, her and her then fiancé got into a fight. He apologized to her later saying that he felt he should be the bread-earner... she is due for another $10K raise and promotion next month. He is still trying to finish his bachelors and she has her masters with over $200K in student loans. Now she is ready to have a baby now that they are married.

I agree with another poster that Black women should date out. Not just for money reasons but we need Black men to understand they are not our end all/ be all. I prefer Black men over all others but if another guy was digging me and I felt the same- I would be gone too. Other men- in my experience- just want to check off their sexual bucket list... very few want to take a BW home and wife her. Not saying it doesn't happen I just haven't seen it happen often. But when it does- I give sister girl a high five.

Relating that question back to this thread- at my age (almost mid thirties), most men are married or come with baggage. I myself have baggage. That is why income isn't an such an issue for me... because honestly I don't think I will find a man that will make more than me at this point in my life that I would have a true connection with. I will be able to find someone who is fiscally responsible though. Can he take care of himself, what is his debt to income ratio? Does he spend money on stupid ish to attract the ladies?

If I were 7 years younger, didn't have kids, etc. I would go cutthroat too- no men making less than 90K. Have to take care of me and our future family, etc. So I totally get where those women are coming from.

I did. I have a 2Br/2Ba right outside DC- $1500/month in a decent area where I can leave my car door unlocked at night. Gas is $15-25 a month, lights is no more than $60. I had other bills so that drove my expenses up but a single man with no kids- definitely can live off $60K/year WITH a car if he knew how to budget and didn't spend wastefully.

I am not really materialistic though and very low maintenance. I like men who are fiscally responsible and follow people like Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey. I rather a man have a large savings account/ 401K than a high paying job that could be lost if we hit another recession.

How do you spend $15-20 on gas/ month? You mean like right now you're doing this? Do you take the metro or walk a lot of places? Do you get discounts? I just updated my budget and am allocating $80 for gas/mo lol. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Please help :lol:

I'm more into career. I primarily date STEM guys because I'm a STEM girl and anyone else drives me up a proverbial wall. Therefore guys I'm in a relationship always make more than I do by virtue of their job and gender.
STEM sister!!! Career is definitely more important than salary. Funny enough, I end up attracting men who have or are starting their own business.

@qchelle
Sit down! With ur young self making six figgies. Ur all set. *rolling my eyes*
What do u do for work if you don't mind my asking. You can always PM.

How do you spend $15-20 on gas/ month? You mean like right now you're doing this? Do you take the metro or walk a lot of places? Do you get discounts? I just updated my budget and am allocating $80 for gas/mo lol. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Please help :lol:

I wanna know too. I spend about $30-40 a month on gas (take metro to/from work, only really my drive car on the weekends). If I could get it down to $20 per month/one fill up per month, that'd be great

@qchelle
Sit down! With ur young self making six figgies. Ur all set. *rolling my eyes*
What do u do for work if you don't mind my asking. You can always PM.

hey every little bit helps! Lol

I mine genomic data from clinical trials and look for base pair (DNA) changes (across lots of different clinical trials). So if there's a base pair change that occurs in a..certain number of patients (relative to the total number of patients' data I'm looking at-which is thousands at a time), these can be established as "biomarkers". Then clinicians can test for these biomarkers in other patients that display the disease phenotype, which can lead to diagnosis. Which is 1 area of personalized medicine.

Also, researchers can use biomarkers to "re-purpose" (that's not the word lol) drugs that are already on the market....and do like a virtual clinical trial, instead of a real life clinical trial (less time money effort). To see how a certain population of patients would respond to whatever drug they want to market differently.

I create user friendly pipelines to mine all of this data. I have to create different ones depending on the drug reaction/disease the trial is looking at, cuz you want your program to pick up all the biomarkers that are already known, too. Which is different for different things.

I do this with open source software like QIIME and mothUr, bioinformatics tools like genome reference alignment and variant calling, and languages and packages like R, python, Matlab, and Github.

I also standardize clinical and non clinical trial data in the format that's compliant with the FDA. And they only accept it in 1 format.

It's true that clinical research organizations are paying 23andme millions of dollars to have access to their genomic database (to do virtual clinical trials with). But I guess people had to sign a consent form? Yea I mean I wouldn't count on that if I were you :lol: money talks.

This is 1 branch of data science AND 1 branch of bioinformatics. Which are 2 different things, imo.

And this is all I do now. No more wetlab :cry3: (tears of joy lol)

@qchelle can you be my career mentor? I want to be a data scientist so bad, I have a data job but i want to learn data science, i have python and github installed on my computer so i can start learning, anyway i guess we can talk in the other thread to not derail this one :lol:

DH and I make about the same. He used to be self employed and made a lot more than I did, but then I switched careers. Situations change. Just make sure whatever man you pick is generous and good with money. A friend of ours could be quite wealthy and comfortable, but he's too busy spending instead of saving and investing.

these two qualities (generous and good with money) are more important than the salary itself, I dont like cheap stingy men :nono:, rich or poor. I'm not a leech or greedy by any means, but I just dont like that character trait, im very generous and giving with those I love and I would want my man to be the same way.

@qchelle can you be my career mentor? I want to be a data scientist so bad, I have a data job but i want to learn data science, i have python and github installed on my computer so i can start learning, anyway i guess we can talk in the other thread to not derail this one :lol:

Yes! You know I have not been in that thread lol. But yes, I will come in the thread and talk :lol:

Back