Spinoff: If you could take a pill to change you natural 4a/b hair

Would you take a pill to go from 4a/b to 3b?

• Absolutely - I think 3b is ideal

Votes: 300 41.6%
  • I'd try it, but only if I could go back to 4a/b easily

Votes: 146 20.2%
  • No way - I think my hair is perfect

Votes: 275 38.1%

• Total voters
PS: I think I voted in this thread, but I say yeah I would take the pill.

I relax because I want my hair straight. Simple as that. And I honestly think that having type 3 hair would be easier (just how I feel). So again, yeah I would take the pill.

navsegda said:
You know...I was actually just thinking about this earlier. Like if the NIH would ever give me a grant to start working on something like this...I would certainly be interested in working with someone to formulate a pill or specific gene therapy (IF and ONLY IF both were completely safe) for people who actually would want to change their hair type. Who knows? Maybe something could be developed that can work both ways (I've heard quite a few white girls say they wish they had "black" hair for various reasons just like I've heard some black girls say they wish they had "white" hair).

Hmm...maybe I will consider writing a proposal for this when I get done with actually important research projects hahaha.

Sounds great. Let us know. I know a lot of us may be interested.

No way, I don't want to lose my options of going back to natural. That will be scary to lose a part of you for good. I like to have styling options.

I wouldn't change anything about ME!

Hair, complexion... breast size (elascity excluded)... I wouldn't change a THING! :)

I would take my pill and my momma's pill! I just BC'ed, and as much as I love my 3c/4a mix it simply takes up too much time.... and I'm practically bald compared to most of you! I remember all the work that went into my natural before... Doing the pre poos, cowash, bagging, juice and berry hunting and what not... I would take all 3b or 3c. Get the cuteness of the curl with out the all of the matainence.

i think i have always loved my own hair, for the most part. i never wanted a looser texture, it would've made me even less likable to all the haters i had back in the day that i so desperately wanted to fit in with.

ah, the joys of wisdom... :look: LOL

now if you give me a pill that will style my hair any way i want without me having to do any work... i'll sign up for that one! :lol:

Re: Spinoff: If you could take a pill to change you natural 4a/b hair

I would, if I could switch back to 4a easily. I think it would be cool to have a different texture for a few days. I wouldn't permanantly do it, because I'm just seeing my hair for the first time, and I love it. I love the look, the feel the texture.... I wouldn't trade it in.

MommaMayhann said:
I would take my pill and my momma's pill! I just BC'ed, and as much as I love my 3c/4a mix it simply takes up too much time.... and I'm practically bald compared to most of you! I remember all the work that went into my natural before... Doing the pre poos, cowash, bagging, juice and berry hunting and what not... I would take all 3b or 3c. Get the cuteness of the curl with out the all of the matainence.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I think the bolded is so funny!!!

But no I wouldn't want to change anything about my hair. I have learnt to accept myself the way I have been created.

I can honestly say I wouldn't take the pill, even if you paid me. If you'd asked me this question when I first BC'd I'd probably say yes, but over the last two and a half years I've absolutely fallen in love with my hair just the way it is. In fact the reason I'm on LHCF is because I want even more of the hair that I've already got. I have a horrendous case of HIH disease because I adore the fluffy feel of my hair. I love my puff, my fro, the twists, the twistouts, all the styling option of my 4b hair. I wouldn't even want a texture that's easier to straighten because I don't want straight hair. I love the fact that humid day doesn't mean disaster for my hairstyle, in fact my hair thrives in humidity.
Yes there are times when my hair annoys me, like when I want to wear a BAA but shrinkage says otherwise, or when I've left my twists in for too long and my hair decides it wants to mesh making the take down process nearly unbearable. But even at the times when I want to shave my head bald, I never want to change the texture. What God gave me is perfect for me and suits me better than any other texture out there. Actually I think I would look ridiculous with 3b hair.

I may sound like I'm selling myself out but I chose "yes" but not because its an "ideal" hair type like Mizani Mrs. said. I don't think any hair type is ideal. But I would take the pill beacuse with my 4a hair I can't do:
wash and goes and styles that I think look good on me, combing is like pullin teeth cuz I'm exremely tenderheaded, I have 3c,4a, and 2c (wavy kinky), sooooo if I could get one uniform hair type that would help out with managing styles, keeping my 4a moisturized and managing the frizz is a 24/7 job which I dont have time for every day. I believe if I could get those priorities in line with just A PILL???:whip: BRING IT ON!

I would take the pill. Maybe it's because I'm just starting to take my hair recovery really seriously, but in general I don't like my 4 a/b hair type. That's just where I'm at right now.

The one thing I do like about my hair is that it's really thick. So considering that, if I had to pick between being a thick haired 4 a/b or being a thin haired 3-whatever, I'd stick with my stuff! And that makes me feel really good to say that. :-)

Update 6/6/08:

I'm embarrassed that I once said this! Now my answer would be absolutely no. I don't want to be something that I'm not. And that's honestly something I struggle with when I see so many of us with straight hair. What is the standard that we hold ourselves up to? We want our hair to be straight like who's hair? And why is straight hair ideal, or even why is a looser texture ideal?

My hair doesn't grow out of my head straight (or as a 3b) so why must i make it behave that way? I'm tired of making my hair be something it's not. Type 4 hair has a special beauty/sexiness that is uniquely it's own. And I'm glad that it's on my head.

Last edited:
I voted no. My hair isn't all 4 a/b but the parts that are I love a lot. I find that part of my hair is far less fragile and I love the texture when my NG comes in, on the other hand I would take a pill to make it ALL 4 a/b so I could rock a fro properly.

This is funny that this thread came up, because I saw this white girl sitting in front of me and I wondered how her wash days/detangling sessions are. And if I had her hair what would be my regimen. I was in deep thought too.:lol:

I just think it would be HELLA easy. I know looser types have their woes too, but it's no denying that kinkier the hair, the harder it is to comb.

I think the the difficulty with combing is what turns many people off to 4a/b hair. I'm not gonna front, my hair laughs at combs. All that means to me is that my hair isn't meant to be combed on a regular basis which works just fine for me. In my opinion combing is overrated and the fact that I can't comb my hair doesn't matter to me at all. I think it's all just a matter of perspective. I don't expect nor want nappy hair to behave like looser textured hair and vice versa.

No, I would not take the pill.:) I love my hair texture/type-4a.:p I have the advantage of wearing it straight, curly or in between. I like having what I call the "sexy messy" look-when it's big, poofy, curly and coily.:D

Last edited:
I love my 4a/b hair ....OK maybe it's 4a... IDK:lol: but it is so versatile and still surprises me. And Iam just MAD in love with the thickness of most type 4 hair
However I wish it would be easier to deal with,I was natural all of my life and got frustrated with it and just slapped a relaxer on.
If you don't know how to deal with it it can be very frustrating.

So if there would be a pill that would magically make my hair tangle free while preserving the texture...and WITHOUT any side effects I'd go for it(after reading all the reviews here of course):lol:

But I know that will never happen and Iam happy with what I got:)

cheetarah1980 said:
In my opinion combing is overrated and the fact that I can't comb my hair doesn't matter to me at all.

I agree that combing is overrated, but the ability to slip a comb through my strands is not overrated in my book. It is THE most important thing in my journey.

I am going to be honest with you as someone trying to grow to WSL, the ONLY issue that can stop me is issues from tangles. Not dryness, not relaxers/overprocessing, not splits, or all of that stuff, but knots and tangles.

The fact that it is hard for me to comb my hair matters a great deal to me. If I could find that one product that allows the comb to slip through my hair like it is 1a hair, I would literally praise the lord. That's the one thing that I pray for.

LocksOfLuV said:
I agree that combing is overrated, but the ability to slip a comb through my strands is not overrated in my book. It is THE most important thing in my journey.

I am going to be honest with you as someone trying to grow to WSL, the ONLY issue that can stop me is issues from tangles. Not dryness, not relaxers/overprocessing, not splits, or all of that stuff, but knots and tangles.

The fact that it is hard for me to comb my hair matters a great deal to me. If I could find that one product that allows the comb to slip through my hair like it is 1a hair, I would literally praise the lord. That's the one thing that I pray for.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. Looking at your pictures I can tell that combing is a must in order to maintain the styles you like to wear. I only meant that it's overrated for me considering the styles I like to wear. I realized early on in my nappy journey that my hair does NOT like to be combed, so I stopped wearing styles that require my hair to be combed often or at all. Once combing became immaterial to my routine, the ability to be able to comb through my naps was overrated. The only time my hair sees a comb is when I detangle and clear out any shed hairs, and I can go weeks without doing that. So for me taking a pill to give myself hair that would be easier to comb is pointless since I don't comb it anyways.

I love my 4b/whatever hair. Since being on this site I have really learned how to work with it. BUT I would take the pill if I could get 3c/4a. I don't need the slippery-ness. I want those curlies/coilies. But I don't have them. So oh well. :ohwell: But I won't lie ;)

If they could come up with a pill that could stop hair from breaking by making each strand as strong as steel, I'll take it. I'm happy with my texture; it's just that I'd have longer hair if it weren't for split ends and breakage.

hopeful said:
No. Now if you had asked me that a year ago or even six months ago maybe I would have said yes, or at least maybe. But now it's like asking me if I'd rather be dark than light, short than tall. When I texturized my hair last summer it looked like 3b hair for a minute and it was beautiful but when I looked back and compared the texturized 3bish hair to what my hair looked like at 4 months natural there was no comparison. Not that my 4a/4b looked so much better than 3b hair, but it looked so much better on ME. On my 4 month natural pics I glowed, I am not kidding, my face just kinda sang. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate it until AFTER I had texturized and relaxed again. Well, now I want to stay natural for good, because it's what's best for me and my hair, and for vanity reasons, I personally just look the prettiest and most like ME with my 4a/4b hair:).

I would have to agree, also all I ever wanted for my hair to grow long and it has done so, it is so much easier to look after. I have proved to myself that my hair can grow long. My hair is so thick!

I choose yes, Shame on me!:lol:
I like the thickness I have from my 4aish b hair but it gets hella knotted!
Plus I have no definite curl pattern, its just poofiness :perplexed . I have learnt to manage my 4 type hair and appreciate it, but I would trade with 3b hair in a minute! I just love the curl pattern! :p

God forgive me,:lachen:

I am not sure the true texture of my hair but I am claiming 4a/3c....And I answered No, I love my hair.

I am at the point now where I don't envy anyone's hair texture because they all come with problems. I love the spiral curls that I have along with the wavy sections. I love the thickness that I have by nature and wouldn't change my softness for the world. I am in the process of falling back in love with my natural hair and to change it even for a second could do more harm then good for me in the long run...so nope, I'll stick to what the Lord blessed me with.

Back