Spinoff: If you could take a pill to change you natural 4a/b hair

Would you take a pill to go from 4a/b to 3b?

• Absolutely - I think 3b is ideal

Votes: 300 41.6%
  • I'd try it, but only if I could go back to 4a/b easily

Votes: 146 20.2%
  • No way - I think my hair is perfect

Votes: 275 38.1%

• Total voters
JCoily said:
If you would have asked me this question at the beginning of my transition, I would have said yes without hesitation.

But now, I am literally addicted to playing with the coils and the waves all day. I don't think I would feel the same pleasure from touching my hair, that I have become used to if my curl pattern was looser.

So, my honest, no B.S. answer is JCoily won't be poppin the 3B pill.

Now if somebody is going to do a spinoff on whether you would take a pill that makes natural hair shiny - my pill poppin hiatus would be over.

I love my hair texture the way it is. its a mixture of 3b and maybe 4a not sure not sure about what the letters mean but my hair coils in some places and have very loose curls in others and the spots on my side I have to work to get the curl. But I agree with you on shine I would take the pill for the shine, I must admit I miss that the most.

No, I wouldn't. It took me ten (yes, ten) years to figure out what products and style techniques work for my natural hair. And then do that for hair that's a totally different texture....psssssh....that's quite alright.

I texlax my mostly 4a hair to obtain the look of 3b hair. But if I could take the pill I would change my hair to completely 3b so I would only have to work with one texture and could easily go between straight and curly styles. But only to try it. I have strong 4a hair that holds a curl for days; I'm not sure I would want to give that up.

My hair is perfect for me

I would not change my hair I would guess I am a 3c-4a mix, I see some 3b's and it's nice but its really not that much different than my hair, I personally notice their hair is not as thick and fluffy as mine when in its natural state, I like my big hair I have endless style options and I can easily flat iron my hair for a sleek straight look and the look will stay as long as I take care of it. All textures are nice, no one hair texture is better than another; some just require more work and a stronger comb. ;)

Of course I would because i relax my hair and I hate putting relaxers in my hair. If you relax your hair to change the texture anyways, why would a pill be anymore controversial???
We are willing to slap chemicals that could unclog a drain pipe on our hair every few months, so if there was a pill to make my hair more manageable with no scary side effects instead i'd do it.

I'd try it. Not that I don't like my hair now, but just to see what the results would be. There are some benefits to having type 3 hair and there are benefits in having type 4 hair.

nikkivale said:
We are willing to slap chemicals that could unclog a drain pipe quote]

Actually there's very little Sodium Hydroxide in relaxers, certainly not enough to unclog a drain. I know....I tried:look: Wasted 2 good tablespoons of Motions too!:mad::eek: :mad: Thank God I found Zip it!:grin:

No, I would not take a drug. But if I could click my heels 3 times and make my hair 1 uniform texture all over, I would. It desn't even matter which one of the multiple textures on my head is the final version.

You know...I was actually just thinking about this earlier. Like if the NIH would ever give me a grant to start working on something like this...I would certainly be interested in working with someone to formulate a pill or specific gene therapy (IF and ONLY IF both were completely safe) for people who actually would want to change their hair type. Who knows? Maybe something could be developed that can work both ways (I've heard quite a few white girls say they wish they had "black" hair for various reasons just like I've heard some black girls say they wish they had "white" hair).

Hmm...maybe I will consider writing a proposal for this when I get done with actually important research projects hahaha.

Last edited:
nikkivale said:
Of course I would because i relax my hair and I hate putting relaxers in my hair. If you relax your hair to change the texture anyways, why would a pill be anymore controversial???
We are willing to slap chemicals that could unclog a drain pipe on our hair every few months so if there was a pill to make my hair more manageable with no scary side effects instead i'd do it.

I agree with you nikkivale :cool: . I'm 4a and relaxed, and I like the texture of my relaxed hair. If I could take a pill to get to get coarse 2c type hair, I would. It would just look like my hair does anyway, except with no new growth.

I would because i guess i haven't got to the point to wear i like my hair texture. I have always wonder why i had to have the tightly curled frizz bound don't wanna act right hair. it seems like hair that could be fixed with water would be so much easier. i guess cuz i always admired it i just like loose curls.

I would take the pill. Not because I dislike the way my natural hair looks...but b/c I can't STAND dealing w/the zillion coils and breakage that I get after washing. And let's not even discuss the shrinkage...oh my Lord, the shrinkage!

So, if I could have another texture- just for an hour or two a week while shampooing, I would take it. Honestly, that's the only reason I relaxed my hair in the first place.

hopeful said:
No. Now if you had asked me that a year ago or even six months ago maybe I would have said yes, or at least maybe. But now it's like asking me if I'd rather be dark than light, short than tall. When I texturized my hair last summer it looked like 3b hair for a minute and it was beautiful but when I looked back and compared the texturized 3bish hair to what my hair looked like at 4 months natural there was no comparison. Not that my 4a/4b looked so much better than 3b hair, but it looked so much better on ME. On my 4 month natural pics I glowed, I am not kidding, my face just kinda sang. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate it until AFTER I had texturized and relaxed again. Well, now I want to stay natural for good, because it's what's best for me and my hair, and for vanity reasons, I personally just look the prettiest and most like ME with my 4a/4b hair:).

I absolutely AGREE! I have 4a and when I was texturized my hair looked and behaved like 3b... and I missed the hell out of it. I mean my hair is so damn GAWGEOUS! I can rock a fro, I can rock it straight, twist, braids, curls, rock it natural...it looks beautiful in every state. I wouldn't trade in my napps for nothing!

Last edited:
I like 3C hair more than 3B hair so I might consider it temporarily. Other than that, I like my 3C/4A mixture.

I didn't go natural because I prefered the look of it per se.

but more because my hair was breaking. I like the look of 3B hair, and If I could take a pill that could safely convert my hair to 3B, I'd do it.

Caramela said:
I think most people would respond by saying NO just for a fear of being slammed, or judged or critized.... maybe even accused of not loving themselves. However, what's the difference of popping a pill to change your hair texture than changing your hair texture by relaxing it? Aren't you changing the natural texture of your hair? I'm going to be real and say, yes, I'd take the pill only because I relax and change the texture of my hair to a texture that is more manageable for me. I love myself. I love being black. I love my hair. But I'd take the stinkin pill. So there. :look:

I think that's kinda unfair...especially considering the women on this board...I think that some of the threads that have been shut down are a testament to the fact that these ladies have no problem letting it all hang out...

I really do love my hair...I mean, DAMN...you can look at my fotki, it's gawgeous. I mean...why change it...it's perfect...God did this.

navsegda said:
You know...I was actually just thinking about this earlier. Like if the NIH would ever give me a grant to start working on something like this...I would certainly be interested in working with someone to formulate a pill or specific gene therapy (IF and ONLY IF both were completely safe) for people who actually would want to change their hair type. Who knows? Maybe something could be developed that can work both ways (I've heard quite a few white girls say they wish they had "black" hair for various reasons just like I've heard some black girls say they wish they had "white" hair).

Hmm...maybe I will consider writing a proposal for this when I get done with actually important research projects hahaha.

What do you mean...this is important:lol: . Can I be a collaborator? I am a researcher as well!:look:

Nope, no pill for me. One of the reasons for transitioning to natural is to be happy with what God gave me and I happen to love my hair as is.

I would take a pill in a second. Just fed up with dry hair and breakage, tired of spending money, going through trial and errors. I'm just wasting my money on hair failure.

kbragg said:
nikkivale said:
We are willing to slap chemicals that could unclog a drain pipe quote]

Actually there's very little Sodium Hydroxide in relaxers, certainly not enough to unclog a drain. I know....I tried:look: Wasted 2 good tablespoons of Motions too!:mad::eek: :mad: Thank God I found Zip it!:grin:

:lol: now you know i wasn't speaking literally, you really did that?that is funny!:lachen:

No, I wouldn't take the pill, I've learned to love my 4b hair. However, I do relax/texlax my hair every three months so I don't truly flaunt my natural hair anyways; so I couldn't really judge or open my mouth to discourage anybody who told me they wanted to take that hair pill, yet I'd let them know that there are other ways to manage what you've got and it can look just as good as any 1, 2 or 3 type hair. My 4b hair used to looked like crap because of all the damaging things I did to it and not because it was 4b, but since coming here I've learned many ways to manage and take care of my 4b hair.

Whatever type you got,
"Work it ladies!"
(Three snaps up & three snaps down :lol: )

Last edited:
nikkivale said:
kbragg said:
:lol: now you know i wasn't speaking literally, you really did that?that is funny!:lachen:

It sure is the truth! Someone suggested me doing that and it did NATHAN to unclogg my drain.

It didn't even dissolve, it just sat there looking like cooking grease.:lachen:

Back