small TWEAKS for big RESULTS

When I dc on dry hair, I will put the dc on, sit under dryer or walk around with plastic cap, wash with poo like usual then use a quick conditioner for a few minutes while in the shower. My hair loves this. I do this every other week and the other two weeks I do a caramel treatment as a pre poo, poo and dc on damp hair.

I would like to try this today. How? Do you apply the DC to dry hair, sit under the dryer, and then shampoo? Do then apply the moisturizing conditioner and sit under the dryer again? Do you dry DC with a protein or moisturizing conditioner?

Thanks in advance!

Reading this board tonight has convinced me to get on down to my Indian store to get my Ayurvedic powders and stop playing around...LOL

I would like to try the DC on dry hair too for a change up too. It seems my hair is always wet from just working out or for some reason...:scratchch

EvsBabu, what type of good DC's do you like, our hair types are similar...

Joico moisture recovery balm (amazing, used with heat)
Joico moisture recovery conditioner
Aveda damage remedy treatment (co wash first with the conditioner and omit the shampoo).
Paul Mitchell super charged moisturiser
ORS replenishing conditioner
Redken All soft conditioner
Redken allsoft heavy cream
Redken butter treat
Redken clear moisture
Neutrogena NTM mask
Keracare humecto
Paul Mitchell super skinny treatment
OCT (mixed with a cheapie so it lasts longer)
Silk elements mayonaise
Silk elements moistrurising treatment
Silk elements conditioner
Pantene relaxed and natural conditioner

I use all these regularly and they work great on my hair. What I realised is they all have the same number 1 ingredient high up on the list, wether they are protein or moisturising. The all have quaternary ammonium which is also called behentrmonium, quaternium 80 etc. If a conditioner does not have this ingredient it does nothing for my hair

I would like to try this today. How? Do you apply the DC to dry hair, sit under the dryer, and then shampoo? Do then apply the moisturizing conditioner and sit under the dryer again? Do you dry DC with a protein or moisturizing conditioner?

Thanks in advance!

I apply it to my dirty, dry hair. Because I do this every 2-3 days my hair is not really dirty. If I have a lot of gel build up etc then I wash my hair with conditioner and DC on wet hair. I mostly use moisturising conditioners and use protein once every 2 weeks or so. As you are relaxed I would use protein more often. If you really want to apply it to ur dry hair and u have to shampoo just hair dry first

Last edited:
Joico moisture recovery balm (amazing, used with heat)
Joico moisture recovery conditioner
Aveda damage remedy treatment (co wash first with the conditioner and omit the shampoo).
Paul Mitchell super charged moisturiser
ORS replenishing conditioner
Redken butter treat
Redken clear moisture
Neutrogena NTM mask
Keracare humecto
Paul Mitchell super skinny treatment
OCT (mixed with a cheapie so it lasts longer)
Silk elements mayonaise
Silk elements moistrurising treatment
Silk elements conditioner
Pantene relaxed and natural conditioner

I use all these regularly and they work great on my hair. What I realised is they all have the same number 1 ingredient high up on the list, wether they are protein or moisturising. The all have quaternary ammonium which is also called behentrmonium, quaternium 80 etc. If a conditioner does not have this ingredient it does nothing for my hair
Feverishly scribbles down list of goodies to get! :lol: :thankyou: so much for the info.

I really want to try this line:
Redken butter treat
Redken clear moisture

The bolded are items I have in my stash. I need to visit / revisit

I've been recently using MillCreek Keratin and Biotin poos and conditioners with good results. Both contain keratin, I think my hair really likes keratin...

Thank you so much!

I apply it to my dirty, dry hair. Because I do this every 2-3 days my hair is not really dirty. If I have a lot of gel build up etc then I wash my hair with conditioner and DC on wet hair. I mostly use moisturising conditioners and use protein once every 2 weeks or so. As you are relaxed I would use protein more often. If you really want to apply it to ur dry hair and u have to shampoo just hair dry first
I think I might try this also, as I keep reading dry DCs are more effective and it seems my hair is always wet because I usually shampoo after working out. At this rate I will never be able to DC on dry hair.

My relaxing tip
Section your hair in 4, then section each section in 4, detangle and saturate each section in coconut oil and twist, secure with a pin. Cover with a plastic cap and scarf or turban towel and leave overnight, then relax each pre sectioned hair, the length of the hair is now moisturise and protected from relaxer run off.

Add a good dollop of shea butter to your DC with a bit of your favourite oil in a bowl and microwave for 30 sections.

ACV rinses once a week after shampoo and conditioner.

Occasional add a good amount of tea tree oil directly onto my scalp when DCing for an hour then wash off, this feels very refreshing!!

Ladies, don't overlook the LITTLE details:

Here's my most recent example, as a natural I kept noticed that many other raves about a Denman brush to "detangle" their natural hair.....so I bought one.

The first times tried to brush my hair with the plastic brush hair so much hair came out I got scared and threw it in the bottom of my hair junk drawer!

Fast forward to a year later.....(yes that long)

After viewing so other hair videos on YouTube, I noticed one showing "how" a long hair natural Tuber detangled using her Denman brush.

It showed her starting at the bottom (which most of us know to do) and wiggling the brush in small sections (as opposed to regularly brush strokes) to detangle!

Now, I was using my Denman in the same "old" way I used a regular brush and HATED the results.

After, using the "wiggle" method I learned off of YouTube....I understand what all the raves were about..... I got totally detangled hair that clumped in waves with only a small amount of shed hair!

I learned this tip from Marand313' video entitled DETANGLING NATURAL HAIR _ PART 2 at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=marand313#p/u/18/EORi_G4nqBY

I guess my point is HOW someone use a product or hair tool is just as important as what product or tools they use!

:yep: I also noticed that I get better results when I let my leave-in soak in for a few minutes (dampen) before I apply with an oil or butter to seal.

:yep: Also, after reading through the thread about “how” people used hot oil treatments (some apply oil to their dry hair only; some apply oil to hair and then coat with conditioner; some apply conditioner and then coat with oil; and some mix the oil with conditioner and then apply) I realized I need to know more details than just what products someone else was using with success!

Last edited:
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but:

When I take my twists/braids/knots out in the morning, I rub shea butter or oil on my fingers first.

This thread is fantastic! An ACV rinse as my final step after a steam DC was definitely the missing link in my regimen. After incorporating this as my final step, honestly, my hair was soo soft, smooth, locked-in more moisture and was virtually tangle free :cloud9::cloud9:. This is amongst some of the most important steps in my regimen that I've learned on this forum.

Not washing my hair as often. This is a big one for me. But my hair is better for it.

Not putting oils in my hair anymore. I don't clog up my hair foliculs and my hair can breathe better.

Using Tea to condition my hair instead of conditioner. I don't get product buildup that much any more and it feel like I just deep conditioned my hair.

EO's are the only oils I leave in my hair now. My Hair Can Breathe!!!

Freeforming my locs. I don't clean up my newgrowth anymore and I keep my locs on my head.

Last edited:
I started wrapping my hair in a t-shirt (in turbie twist fashion) instead of a towel for a few minutes after shampooing to absorb excess water. Saw this on youtube and itworks! My hair seems to soak up the leave in conditioners and other goodies I put in afterwards a lot better and it has decreased drying time. Definately a keeper! :yay:

Giving up most of my cone filled products has produced soft and moisturized hair for me.

My hair does not become as dry as it once did, that sort of crunchy dry. If I do experience dryness it still has a soft feel to it.

I think this is a keeper for me but I'm going to miss a lot of my old products.

When I baggy my pony I use a sandwich bag. I twist it around my pony then I put the seamless band or scrunchie on top.

Never, I repeat never do anything major (like cut, color, chemicals) to your hair when you are upset, pre-menstrual, or just plain bored!

Slap on a wig or put it in a bun and WAIT IT OUT!:yep:

for me i pay attention to the types of combs and brushes i use on my hair---even though i buy seamless--some combs work better than others

also bein gentle with my hair---i can be rough sometimes--so i make sure if my hands r approaching my head to hink b4 i touch my hair---

u have to know what products work for your hair and in order to do that there cant be build up of other products on your hair--

My dense hair THICKEN UP even more by keeping my cornrows (no extensions) in for one month (total of 4 weeks) at a time versus re-doing the braids every week while ps'ing with my wig!

NO (not just low) Manipulation is my new best friend for 2010!

I :heart2:this thread:lots:. Thanks CurliDiva every tip that I've used has worked, like dc'ing on dry hair, pre-pooing and roller wetting.

My mama was right. I am too stubborn and sometimes my bad habits get the best of me....I could just stop and KEEP HANDS outta the hair! Stop playing with it, twisting it etc.. and leave it alone! :lachen: nerves make me feel like an old lady

This may be a no brainer for some - but I now READ ingredient labels! :yep: I’m not trying to become a chemist, but I’m starting to learn what my hair loves and hate. I only worry about the first few (but check the whole list if you are allergic to something) ingredients because they make up the most of the volume and thus affect effectiveness.

For example, the ingredient list for 3 different “lemonade” could read:

Product #1 – water, lemons, sugar ($5.99)

Product #2 – filtered spring water, organic lemons, ginger and raw sugar ($25)

Product #3 – water, lemon concentrate, corn syrup and yellow dye ($8)

Which one would you want to use? Which one would you avoid? It is not always about “price” when picking out a quality product.

Last edited:
Back