SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

Hey buddy! Lol! Do you take the braids out before you cowash or just let them unravel? I was just letting them unravel but I don't think its working for me. My hair isn't staying moisturized. I'm glad I have some spray LI's coming so hopefully that should help...

I take them out beforehand. I be braiding all the way down to the very ends (the nitty gritty lol! ) so they don't just unravel until I get about a half inch up the braid. After that I just take the rest of the braid a loose with my fingers. I don't comb through them though. I'll co-wash then they loosen up the rest of the way at that point.

[USER=327887 said:
Seamonster[/USER];17654631]^ Yes oiling the scalp in the winter time is a must. I know your hair is pretty sensitive, but perhaps a butter that you are careful to apply just to your scalp could create a little barrier to protect your hair from the salt in your sweat?

If that doesn't work, maybe you could seal the hair after a work out so that it doesn't get too dry. Can you use any of the heavy healing winter oils like castor, hemp, or stinky wheat germ?
I know you use sunflower; my hair loves sunflower oil. That stuff is hair magic, but I think in the winter, the hair might need a little extra protection too.

I think you are talking to me :lol:

Never thought about the salt in the sweat. That is the reason I don't baggy. My hair is hard as a rock the next day.

I will have to play around with this. The reason I don't do much oil is because my hair is low porosity. If I put oil on my hair/scalp more than once or twice a week even, its just a chicken grease mess. That's why I use the sunflower oil. I think Olive Oil is the heaviest oil my hair can stand.

I will try apply a light amount of oil to the scalp. Maybe I should apply the oil to my scalp and seal my hair before working out. Maybe then I won't get the frizzies. What do you think?

I've always applied the oil after I workout which does pretty much nothing. By the time I work out its already frizzy.

This has definitely given me something to think on. I wonder if oiling my hair before I cowash would help my twist stay in. hmm

Last edited:
How do you co wash and dc at the same thing? Dont you just co wash with a conditioner

I'm not sure about how others do their routine but for me I co-wash with a little cheapy conditioner to cleanse (lightly) my hair & it is moisturizing too versus using shampoo that often. Then DC afterward with the heavy duty stuff for about an hour to really moisturize or protein (whichever is needed). I don't use the co-wash as a conditioner alone but more-so as a wash because its just not enough for my hair. I still do the regular wash but not as often as I co-wash.

I DC twice a week because I've found that it keeps my NG more manageable as well as moisturizing & strengthening my hair also.

Hey y'all!! So I'm in Nubian twist now. I work out really hard too I'm in the weight loss and hair growth challenge as well. So maybe I should start oiling my scalp before I work out as well. But I only have Jamaican castor oil, think that's too heavy? I don't want my hair to Matt up at the beginning of my braids. But I'm thinking if I wash my scalp it won't be a problem. I also started taking vitamins and up'd my water intake. So hopefully those things will help me get to shoulder length before June. I'm neck length now. I need more advice about oiling my scalp I only use to grease my hair. And I always keep my hair in braids. I'm so excited about this y'all I know we all will reach our goals.

I've been lurking for a while now but I've just subscribed so this is my first challenge, :yay:

What length are you now? I am kinda SL? maybe? but I want to be full SL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? I'm natural 4a/b

What retention methods do you plan on using? protective styling!

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? urmm just a multivitamin and mucho water! Also I'll be doing scalp massages when I can remember :look:

When do you think you'll be SL? I think maybe 4 months or so for the sides, I'm not sure

Are you using any growth aides? nahh,

Eta:
000-0050.html
-____-
adding pic once i figure out how

Attachments

• 000_0048.jpg
    000_0048.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 000_0050.jpg
    000_0050.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I know I can be pitiful on stocking close to my regimen and checking the forum and being a cheer leader for others but dang!

I ain't been doing nothing. No starting pic, ain't washed my hair in two weeks, still in two dukey braids. Can't find my Denman brush. Working with v05 to wash, Suave to clean and cowash and pimped up Tresseme to deep condition. Oil wig cap, clips instead of combs.

So. Boring.

What's crazy is that I'll probably grow and maintain like crazy cause I ain't doing nothing for it.

It's about that time. And everyone else has one. So all my short-haired ladies, get in here. My hair is finally growing out my short hair cutS and I plan on letting it grow out, even if it's not in a blunt cut, just letting it grow. I feel pretty good in my techniques for retention and even plan on using supplements. So shoulder-length hair here I come.

Who all is in? Go ahead and just thank the post to be considered apart of the challenge. Also, answer the following:

What length are you now? chin length and neck length

Natural/Relaxed/: Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using?braiding an weaving it up

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? biotin

:
hair was sl but stress caused it to break off badly :( my hair is extremely easy to straighten. a lot of shrinkage w a big forehead is not a good look lol
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-983304982.jpg
    image-983304982.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Last night I prepooed with cocojbco and greaseless moisture, and baggied all morning. Tonight I clarified my hair with ORS Aloe, washed with elasta qp creme, rinsed with SSI honey rinse, green tea under DC with NH grow and strengthen masque followed by a final rinse with SSI avocado... I sealed the water in with cocojbco, applied as I am LI, and final seal with eve avocado oil...

This was a great session. My hair feels the softest it has felt in a very, very long time. I can't stop touching my hair. I plan to up my cowashing so I'm not sure if I should braid my hair or not... so its just chillin.

I can't wait until this Friday!!! LOL! I'll be 12 weeks post & I would like to take down my cornrows to oil my hair all over with grapeseed oil since I'll be relaxing then. I've also subscribed to the Relaxed Buddy Thread & have been watching a couple of YouTube videos on texlaxing to see if I really want to go that route or go bone straight for now. I'm leaning more towards waiting until my hair is passed SL before I try to texlax but I still got one mo' day to make a decision! :drunk:

I just been bunning a lot. Cowash then put it back in a bun. Doing this until maybe my 12 weeks post then ill put braids in them and leave it In for maybe one or two months

I have no patience lol! it's only has been 6 weeks and I want to see how much my hair has grown w my sew in. OAN how often do you have to spray braid sheen onto hair. my scalp does not itch anymore now that I use applicator bottles and deep condition it myself every 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hello,

I am new to this forum & I am excited about joining this challenge.I currently have Chin length hair & would love to get to SL by June (I am not sure if that's realistic).

I have been reading many threads & buying some of the products I have heard mentioned on this board.

I realized that I had many of the products mentioned on this board.

I currently use Dudleys Drc 28
Dudleys moisturizing conditioner
Dudleys PCA
Dudleys moisture retainer
I also had many products from www.roundbrushhair.com that I will incorporate in my daily routine that I learned on this board.
Thanks to this board I have learned how to properly take care of my hair now. I have been moisturizing & sealing everyday & night.I will also start cowashing & develop a routine.
I really hope I develop a routine & stick to it & hopefully have beautiful hair like the rest of you.

Just finish my bun for tomorrow for work. Idk if I should a bang or just left it like that. Heres some pics; I manage to use all of the little hair I have to wrap it around the donut

ForumRunner_20130111_003634.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_003648.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_003713.jpg

The back of my hair is shorter than the front, thats why it looks like that.

Just finish my bun for tomorrow for work. Idk if I should a bang or just left it like that. Heres some pics; I manage to use all of the little hair I have to wrap it around the donut

The back of my hair is shorter than the front, thats why it looks like that.

I like it!!! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to bun!

How long is your hair? I made some homemade linseed gel and I love it. I m/s this morning so I didn't do it tonight

There is a horrible picture a little ways back in the thread from a mini chop I did. Maybe with my next relaxer I will be able to wear a faux bun :ohwell: by the end of the year for sure!

Protective or but over manipulated style for the weekend...Bantu knots. After this run I think I may cornrows and do wigs. Still trying to decide. But tying these knots every night cannot be good but I like the look.

APL 2013, BSL 2013

Attachments

• image-992408905.jpg
    image-992408905.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3374381187.jpg
    image-3374381187.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 32
Idk how I will know if my hair dont like something. Thats my major problem.

Yeah, that takes time. Usually things like excessive shedding (more than your norm), rough feeling hair or hay/straw like, mushy or gummy; those are descriptions... what you should do is every wash day really feel your hair, start paying attention to the hair in your comb when you detangle and pay attention to which products make your hair feel good, ok, so-so or horrible... you'll figure it out. Last but not least keep asking questions :-)

Yeah, that takes time. Usually things like excessive shedding (more than your norm), rough feeling hair or hay/straw like, mushy or gummy; those are descriptions... what you should do is every wash day really feel your hair, start paying attention to the hair in your comb when you detangle and pay attention to which products make your hair feel good, ok, so-so or horrible... you'll figure it out. Last but not least keep asking questions :-)

Im queen of asking questions.

I was playing in my hair while massaging my scalp and realized with some holding creme or eco gel I could get my hair into a pony! Yay! So after I relax in April I will buy some faux buns and try out bunning! I'm soooooo excited.

I know I couldnt wait to get my hair in a pony to faux bun!

I might take my braids down and rebraid them up under my wig. Im do it for sure today bc im lazy.

I was playing in my hair while massaging my scalp and realized with some holding creme or eco gel I could get my hair into a pony! Yay! So after I relax in April I will buy some faux buns and try out bunning! I'm soooooo excited.

I made my own flaxseed gel and was reading about how its healthy for your hair and it also keep it moisture. Boy I tell you, I love it and my hair does too. Had it on my bun for three days and its still holding on tight. Tomorrow is my garlic treatment again.

I'm almost able to get all my hair in a bun as well but still have a couple of months to go before I will be comfortable with claiming htis victory:look:.

Back