SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

My hair is sooo choppy from that trim I just did I'm embarrassed to post any pics!!! But that was my first time trimming and my ends were worse in some areas than others so health over length. And next time will be better. I didn't style it just flat ironed it so I could trim. I will probably cowash tmrw or Tuesday.

Thats how my hair looks also, except its shorter in the back, so you are not alone. 2013 will be our year.

I'm posting this anyway just so its that much sweeter when I get to my goal length this year. Please don't laugh.

Right nobody is laughing and I know my hair grows in layers too. I'd love a nice blunt cut b/c it makes my hair heavier and thicker, but I'm going to stop cutting it like that and just wait until I get to my goal length, then go for the blunt cut.

Well, I didn't get anything shea moisture yet but I still had to do my hair. Maybe sometime this week I will get something but I'm not pressed... I'm also looking into nubian heritage because BOGO free is awesome!

Doing a hard protein treatment in preparation for my relaxer on Monday. I will post my starting pic after I flat iron and trim Monday night

I am dusting my ends tonight. I will take my starting pic this weekend. That will get me ready for the new year.

Im in a sew in right now my SIL did for me Monday night. Im hoping to keep it in a month or so. I eventually want to make me a u part wig with closure but we will see once income tax comes lol

I'm joining this challenge.

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? natural

What retention methods do you plan on using? Bunning to protect my ends, mini twists, henna, Ayurvedic powders

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Plan to take Mineral max and MSM

My goal is to be SL by 12/31/13

I've got a lot more new growth than usual at 6 weeks post, so I think something (supplements, growth aids) is definitely working. I hope to be grazing shoulder length w/ healthy ends when I relax at the end of March. :yay:

hendigo'ed my hair today followed by some much needed deep treatment. I cowash regularly and I get lazy when it comes to deep conditioning, a problem I need to remedy in 2013.

Wow, this was my 11,000th post :yay:

Last edited:
I would like to join this challenge!!

What length are you now? I am at bottom of neck length at the longest point.

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed/Texlaxed.

What retention methods do you plan on using?
Going to try more protective styles over the colder days, bunning, hats, and possibly some curly styles (although it seems that curly dries my hair out SOOO much we will see). Moisturizing ends at the end of the day and only brushing my hair once a day

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?
I am going to be taking multivitamins for other health reasons so stick that in there, I wanna drink more water too...somehow...
Going to be hennaing at least one more time before March.

When do you think you'll be SL?
Hopefully by march/april!

Are you using any growth aides?
I dont know what those are so probably not.

Last edited:
Wow @HairPleezeGrow, you are almost there girlie. Shoots, you should be fully there by April the latest.

I doubt I'll get there anytime soon but if I do, I would like to reach full SL by October 2013 - just in time for my 45th birthday

Last edited:
Wow, looks like some of us will be graduating early! I will probably be here until at least september. So my cornrows are back in.

hnntrr growth aids are anything that could help your hair grow longer, healthier, fuller faster. Examples are megatek, miconozole nitrate, hair trigger growth elixir, viviscal, and garlic supplements. I'm not using any of these yet so I can't say if they really work but plenty of ppl in this forum do. Just search if you're interested. :-)

I have not logged in for about 3 weeks now, I've been so busy!! I actually put some kinky twists in my hair back on 12/8 & I think I did a pretty decent job. I get a lot of compliments but its kind of loose with it being my first time doing it myself. I will be 10 weeks post this Friday & I plan on stretching for about another 8 weeks if I can. The twist make it real easy to stretch! :yep: I'm going to take the twists out the following weekend, wash, DC & then re-do some more so that I can continue to stretch.

I have been oiling my scalp with EVOO. I wanted to get rid of the Motions leave-in conditioner that I don't use so i mixed it with some Infusium 23 & use this concoction in a spray bottle instead instead of braid spray its been working great! No itching!! I've been taking my vitamins 4-6 times a week & drinking plenty of water and working out 3-5 times a week at work on my lunch. Happy hair growing y'all!!

Last edited:
Update on starting photo: I took a better picture and I realized I was closer to Sl than I thought. Then I realized it feels shorter than it is because of how its cut in the front. So I anticipate being between SL and APL in the back by my next relaxer. The front of my hair hopefully should be approaching SL by then.

Today is major wash day so cowashing, trying a black tea and chamomile tea rinse under a moroccan oil DP then attempt at flexi rods with cantu leave in and curly butter creme. Hopefully I will find out results of rod set sometime late tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 49
I'm in there like swimwear. :grin: My answers are in brown:

What length are you now? EL/NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using? PSing with box braids, crochet braids, cornrows under wigs, etc.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? Not really. I want to start making green smoothies again--I used to add a prenatal vitamin to them--but we'll see when/if that comes to fruition, lol. Just trying to eat better, drink more water, and get more sleep/exercise in general.

Additional questions:

When do you think you'll be SL? Realistically I don't expect to be full SL for some time, but I definitely hope to at least be grazing by the end of the year.

Are you using any growth aides? Nothing other than scalp massages 2x/week with my ayurvedic oil mixes (they include some combination of castor, grapeseed, and/or jojoba oils; peppermint and rosemary EOs; and cassia, amla, hibiscus, shikakai, bhringaraj, and/or brahmi powders). I layer them under DCs and LIs.

Starting pic:

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think I will get to APL this year, hoping for BSL. But gotta get to SL FIRST. So, I am joining. I currently NL, relaxed, taking biotin, msm and garlic pills daily. Cowashing and flat ironing once per week. Moisturizing with Scurl, Giovanni, kids organics. Sealin with alternating evoo, coconut oil and cactor oil. Been toying with sound a black tea rinse... Deep conditioning once per week with silk elements or ORS. I think that's it! Wish me luck! Oh, also I am 6 weeks post and trying to stretch to march to retain some thickness. My ends are really thin... Protein Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks. My scalp feels really itchy today so I may need to cow ash tomorrow with Tresemme Naturals and DC. Maybe this will be my chance to try the tea rinse. I'll keep you posted.

APL 2013, BSL 2013

Attachments

• image-4063432048.jpg
    image-4063432048.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 34
I'm in. I cut my hair into a fro-hawk in November. I hope that I can get to SL by the end of the year. I plan on minimizing the heat.
Currently my hair is a combo of EL/NL and natural. I plan on using braids and kinky twists as a way to retain. No supplements outside of my daily vitamins.

I think I may try a braid out today. I am trying not to completely saturate my hair for another week just to see if it helps or not. Thinking about spritzing with some Scurl and corn rowing. Will take out the braids in the morning before work. If it doesn't look good, I can always bun it, right. I have some wigs that I could try too if all else fails. Stretching and coming up with less sleek styles is a challenge but I love challenges. Changing my look could be fun. And I Iove change too. So here goes. I think I may need to put a roller on the ends, maybe not cornrows but single braids. Gotta dig out some rollers. We'll see. Just talking out loud ladies. Thanks for listening and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

APL 2013, BSL 2013

I would like to join this challenge!!

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using?
Bunning, wigs, moisturizing twice a day.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?
Fish oil, multivitamin, iron

When do you think you'll be SL?
Hopefully by June

Are you using any growth aides?
No. None of them worked for me so I gave up on them long ago.:sad:

Starting pic below.

hair2-1_zpsb9e93c36.jpg

Flexi rods didn't turn out, but that's okay I have some curl formers coming Wednesday or Thursday.

I did change how I conditioned my hair post straightening since I was trying to do rods and not flat iron (I ended up flat ironing cause I couldn't get a curl I wanted). But I used baby butter creme, and my hair silk and then once that completely dried brushed it out and used a heat protectant and my hair lovessssss it. It's so nice and full looking a healthy looking. So I did something right.

as till applying moisture to my hair every night with the cantu Shea butter. Excited to try curl forms when they come in.

I am NL, natural; I plan to wear wigs all year and wear my hear in twist under the wig.

Attachments

• 545528_499685153387555_717515800_n.jpg
    545528_499685153387555_717515800_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 23
yeah I'm finally joining a challenge:grin: my days of just lurking are :blush:ver

What length are you now-NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning-Relaxed

What retention methods do you plan on using-weekly DC, rollersetting, minimal heat, protective styling (nubian twists during the winter months), light regular dusting, moisturize and seal

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special-prenatal vitamins

When do you think you'll be SL-hopefully by summer:yay::yay:

Are you using any growth aides-nada

I don't have any current pictures cuz my hair is currently braids I'll have to check to see if I might have a recent pic that I can post later.

Okay I'm in!

1.I'm above neck length now.
2. I'm relaxed, possibly transitioning.
3. I will incorporate heavy DCing and protective styling into my regimen.
4. I'll take Biotin.
5. I don't think I'll make SL until December.
6. I may purchase Nouritress to help thicken my edges.
Happy Growing Ladies :)

image-3583364875.jpg

Last edited:
Today was my major wash day so now I have put some plaits in my hair and will continue wigging/hiding until further notice.

Back