SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

Still here ladies. I really want to gety hair twisted with extensions but I'm too afraid of having a setback...

Still cowashing almost daily and finally gotten better moisture retention with Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (what a mouthful! TW PMB from now on) sealed with Gleau.

I've been faithful with my multi vit for 2 whole days!! :giggle: I even managed to take hairfinity as well.

So I'm definitely back on my NON-frequent washing and it's perfecto. My hard looks shiny and healthy, edges stay laid and nape doesn't look so uneven. I still go ahead and rollerset my hair at night (dry). That's still a keeper for me to avoid heat. Then in the morning I just wear a headband. I greased my scalp on Monday, will do again tonight. I just use that BB super gro. Daily I go ahead and put curl wax on my edges and at the nape.

(Lol and I was saying I wasn't going to do anything daily to my hair; I think at the time it was that daily washing that was wiping me out).

***UPDATE***

I washed, DCed and dyed my hair black last night. My ends were blond so... Now they're green lol. I see it as a blessing in disguise. I ran to the BSS this morning looking for a solution, and remembered that my hair retained the most when I PSd under wigs. So I bought 4 lol. I'm going to wear wigs for the majority of this year I think, and really baby my hair underneath. By April I'll decide if I want to stay relaxed or go back to natural.

P.S. KeraCare Humecto Conditioner is the bomb.com!

Here's a pic of my wig for January

image-745545623.jpg

It's going to take me a while to fully embrace it.

***UPDATE***

I washed, DCed and dyed my hair black last night. My ends were blond so... Now they're green lol. I see it as a blessing in disguise. I ran to the BSS this morning looking for a solution, and remembered that my hair retained the most when I PSd under wigs. So I bought 4 lol. I'm going to wear wigs for the majority of this year I think, and really baby my hair underneath. By April I'll decide if I want to stay relaxed or go back to natural.

P.S. KeraCare Humecto Conditioner is the bomb.com!

Here's a pic of my wig for January

View attachment 186541

It's going to take me a while to fully embrace it.

NitaChantell, This is cute. I really like it but I especially like what's written on the blackboard in front of you:yep:.

I'm DYYYYING to take these braids outta my head! I can't wait to give my hair a good wash DC and trim.. 1 and half weeks to g:ohwell:

What length are you now? I believe I am neck length. I am not 100 percent sure :/

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

What retention methods do you plan on using? Now that I have some length I am going to start putting my hair up more and protect my ends. I will hot oil and deep condition my hair once a week.

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? I am eating better and upping my water intake

Its been a while but I am back! I swear this time I am not going to cut my hair! Every time I get some length I end up cutting my hair for one reason or another.

Attachments

• 20121226_183305.jpg
    20121226_183305.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 24
Just checking in! I ended up cowashing with Hello Hydration, DC'ed with Silk Elements, Black tea rinsed and DC'ed again with As I Am Hydration Elation (that stopped the shedding beautifully), Moisturized with Giovanni, sealed with Nourish and Shine, Bantu knots, air dried over night. Hair looked really nice yesterday. This was my first try with Bantu knots. I impressed myself!

APL 2013, BSL 2013

I'm in....

What length are you now?
NL
Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Texlaxed
What retention methods do you plan on using?
Regular trims/dusting DC'ing 1-2x per week with steamer, PS and Nightly M&S
Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?
A multivitamin, increased exercise and up my water intake

I am giving my self until to be full SL all around. I have some damage I need to grow out.

Won't be taking any growth aids.

Will post a starting pic later today.

Last edited:
Had a good hair week. Haven't had to moisturize my hair all week. So I am guessing that sweating while working out is making my hair feel hard and dry. Not sure how to counter that. I will see next week when I work out more.

Had a good hair week. Haven't had to moisturize my hair all week. So I am guessing that sweating while working out is making my hair feel hard and dry. Not sure how to counter that. I will see next week when I work out more.

When I work out I oil my scalp and put my hair in a ponytail. It is like a mini hot oil treatment. The heat that radiates from my scalp as I work out heats up the oil! I work out hard. I do about three miles on the treadmill and then I do a few weights.

When I work out I oil my scalp and put my hair in a ponytail. It is like a mini hot oil treatment. The heat that radiates from my scalp as I work out heats up the oil! I work out hard. I do about three miles on the treadmill and then I do a few weights.

Girl I don't have any hair :lol: But it sounds good.

Did a garlic treatment and my hair loved it but I didnt like the smell. Been Bunning since Thursday and leaving it like tht until my co wash next week

How did you make your garlic treatment? I made one today with olive oil (4 oz) and garlic (4) blended. It was a bit watery, I wanted pasty

^^I need to do one too. I was told to do that same mix 4 oz, 4 garlic cloves. You may need to add conditioner or something like shea butter to make it pasty...

Thats how I did it and I had pieces of garlic in my hair. I used nutiva coconut oil. Its best to cut the garlic into pieces and put whatever oil into a bottle with the slice garlic n let it sit there for awhile before you use it. Cause if you mince it, u t will messy to put it on your hair n hard to take our afterwards

Well, this marks three years I have been in this challenge. Yes, I have been trying to grow long thick hair for three years. My hair is thick now so I feel like this is going to be my year.

My crown is Lip length, shooting for shoulder length, again. Ain't nothing changed but the year.

Would like to congratulate my hair because I have found one spot on my head where it it long enough to bun. I am rocking my ity bity bun; I haven't done my hair in three day. She ain't cute, but she's mine ( my step father used to say that RIP)

Oh, this is a donut bun, lachen, yes I did roll my little short ends over, and tuck them into my goodie ouchless hair band. I have to tell people it is a donut bun, because it is so tiny, it looks like a donut hole.

What type of styling do you do when you work out? I'm not sure if you are able to cornrow your hair or if you would even want to but I PS with a wig & do cornrows underneath. I had kinky twists before but wasn't able to DC & wash like I wanted to so I took them out. I would do a pony too but I'm shy of about an inch for it to look decent :lachen:. So the cornrows work really well with being able to oil my scalp every couple of nights & spray a little leave in conditioner on the braids. I also re-do them every 3 days when I co-wash (or regular wash) & DC. It's been retaining the moisture a lot since doing the cornrows and I sweat tons from my head!!

But to second what previous poster said, my sis-n-law has long hair & does a ponytail when she runs & her hair would get really dry. Her beautician told her to do the same thing with oiling her scalp & hair & putting it into a ponytail before she ran. So I'll keep that in mind when my hair gets long enough to bun or pony.

Well, this marks three years I have been in this challenge. Yes, I have been trying to grow long thick hair for three years. My hair is thick now so I feel like this is going to be my year.

My crown is Lip length, shooting for shoulder length, again. Ain't nothing changed but the year.

Would like to congratulate my hair because I have found one spot on my head where it it long enough to bun. I am rocking my ity bity bun; I haven't done my hair in three day. She ain't cute, but she's mine ( my step father used to say that RIP)

Oh, this is a donut bun, lachen, yes I did roll my little short ends over, and tuck them into my goodie ouchless hair band. I have to tell people it is a donut bun, because it is so tiny, it looks like a donut hole.

[/URL]

:lol: Girl you are funny. A donut hole :lol:

I'm doing 3 years with you. Hopefully we can be paroled early :yep:

[USER=370217 said:
londonfog[/USER];17654455]What type of styling do you do when you work out? I'm not sure if you are able to cornrow your hair or if you would even want to but I PS with a wig & do cornrows underneath. I had kinky twists before but wasn't able to DC & wash like I wanted to so I took them out. I would do a pony too but I'm shy of about an inch for it to look decent :lachen:. So the cornrows work really well with being able to oil my scalp every couple of nights & spray a little leave in conditioner on the braids. I also re-do them every 3 days when I co-wash (or regular wash) & DC. It's been retaining the moisture a lot since doing the cornrows and I sweat tons from my head!!

But to second what previous poster said, my sis-n-law has long hair & does a ponytail when she runs & her hair would get really dry. Her beautician told her to do the same thing with oiling her scalp & hair & putting it into a ponytail before she ran. So I'll keep that in mind when my hair gets long enough to bun or pony.

Thanks LondonFog. I currently wear my hair in finger coils. I will just have to tough it out until my hair is longer. Maybe by April my hair will be long enough for twists. I'm not much for wigs or extensions. I did that my first big chop. I'm just toughing it out with my own hair this time.

I will try to remember the oiling of the scalp as well.

Wash day was yesterday, so i put curl formers in and they turned out pretty good for my first time. I think I till do more curls though, i thinned em out towards the top of my head and there were some weird gaps...

Havnt noticed any noticeable new growth (and to be honest I havnt tried looking). All I know is...my hair is getting healthier every time I wash, everytime I bun. My ends are looking healthier and thicker since I have been keeping them put away for the majority of the past two weeks. Looking forward to my next co wash tomorrow night. Might do bantu knots instead of the curl formers to give myself a chance at some sleep (man those were hard to sleep on) Washing my hair is one of those things that I just get pure pleasure out of, I duno why I enjoy water hitting my scalp so much aha.

What type of styling do you do when you work out? I'm not sure if you are able to cornrow your hair or if you would even want to but I PS with a wig & do cornrows underneath. I had kinky twists before but wasn't able to DC & wash like I wanted to so I took them out. I would do a pony too but I'm shy of about an inch for it to look decent :lachen:. So the cornrows work really well with being able to oil my scalp every couple of nights & spray a little leave in conditioner on the braids. I also re-do them every 3 days when I co-wash (or regular wash) & DC. It's been retaining the moisture a lot since doing the cornrows and I sweat tons from my head!!

Hey buddy! Lol! Do you take the braids out before you cowash or just let them unravel? I was just letting them unravel but I don't think its working for me. My hair isn't staying moisturized. I'm glad I have some spray LI's coming so hopefully that should help...

I co-washed w/ HH Hello Hydration & DC'd with some Queen Helene's Cholestorol (mixed some Grapeseed oil, EVOO & EVCO) my hair on Friday night. I had heard some good stuff about the Queen Helenes so I decided to try it. I'm not too sure how I like it so far though. It seemed decent enough. I'll use it over the next month when I DC to see how it turns out. I used Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner & wrapped it. Then Saturday morning I flat ironed (had been heat free for 5 weeks yaaay!!) because NG is ridiculous in the back of my head :crazy:!! Then I M&S'd with Elasta QP's Mango & OO Butter & EVCO. Did 6 cornrows to go underneath my wig. I did my edges with Pine Tar & Castor Oil.

I usually take the cornrows down to DC & co-wash or wash every 3 days but I'll be 12 weeks post on Friday & doing my relaxer then. So I'll keep Olive Oiling my scalp every other night but I'll only be taking my hair down on about Wednesday to use some Grapeseed Oil all over my hair before I relax.

On this last co-wash & DC, I had almost no shedding at all. Like only 2 strands total & I think it had a lot to do with using the Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner as a braid spray with my twists. I used it pretty much every other day on my braids for a month straight.

^ Yes oiling the scalp in the winter time is a must. I know your hair is pretty sensitive, but perhaps a butter that you are careful to apply just to your scalp could create a little barrier to protect your hair from the salt in your sweat?

If that doesn't work, maybe you could seal the hair after a work out so that it doesn't get too dry. Can you use any of the heavy healing winter oils like castor, hemp, or stinky wheat germ?
I know you use sunflower; my hair loves sunflower oil. That stuff is hair magic, but I think in the winter, the hair might need a little extra protection too.

Back