SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

DarkJoy
Trixie58
Congrats on the growth and retention!!

HairPleezeGrow
Do you HAVE to roller set to do Bantu Knots?? I have been too lazy to roller set and have been just doing the knots on 90% air dried hair after M&S'ing. It comes out great! But of course I AM texturized so maybe thats why

DarkJoy
Trixie58
Congrats on the growth and retention!!

HairPleezeGrow
Do you HAVE to roller set to do Bantu Knots?? I have been too lazy to roller set and have been just doing the knots on 90% air dried hair after M&S'ing. It comes out great! But of course I AM texturized so maybe thats why

No you don't but for me it helps with having my hair stretched to do them verses doing them with my natural hair. However I can't roller set worth a darn so idk what I was thinking lol.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

I did some bantu knots last night and here's my results. I think next time I do these I need like a holding cream or gel bc I just used a creamy LI and shea butter cream or mix or whatever you call it. I think the shea butter is to heavy for my fine strands and just weighs it down so I may just use that on my girls.

ForumRunner_20130718_101305.jpg

ForumRunner_20130718_101322.jpg

ForumRunner_20130718_101334.jpg

ForumRunner_20130718_101409.jpg

ForumRunner_20130718_101427.jpg

HPG

I did some bantu knots last night and here's my results. I think next time I do these I need like a holding cream or gel bc I just used a creamy LI and shea butter cream or mix or whatever you call it. I think the shea butter is to heavy for my fine strands and just weighs it down so I may just use that on my girls.

Your hair is getting looong. I think I see some hair grazing APL. :yep:

Your hair is getting looong. I think I see some hair grazing APL. :yep:

Thnx but no I think it's just the way my arms are raised. How many inches would you say I am from APL with my back layers? I'm bad a guessing. Please excuse the back fat.

ForumRunner_20130718_104830.jpg

HPG

Thnx but no I think it's just the way my arms are raised. How many inches would you say I am from APL with my back layers? I'm bad a guessing. Please excuse the back fat.

View attachment 217881

HPG

Sorry :sad: I guess I was just a little overexcited. But you do have good length. I agree with the other poster, you are probably about 4" away. But that puts you at APL early next year :yay:

HairPleezeGrow, I love it! You did a great job on it! Your hair really has grown too! Kids come in handy with them backshot pics huh?! hahaha! I just realized that my son takes them better than me:grin:

Ok, so here is my lil length check. I took this pic on 7/10. I still have some inches to go to reach SL. I had to hold my hair like this to stretch it though. Everything above that finger with the ring on it is NG since I'm transitioning. Since I got mad & cut off about an inch in March I didn't have to trim this go round (only leveled off a piece). I'm hoping that the next length check will have me at my goal. BTW.....When is the next length check again? Back to the beginning of the thread again to check up on my dates. Is anybody else's ticker off? :ohwell:

Attachments

• Length check 7-10-13.jpg
    Length check 7-10-13.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 29
Okay changed my mind about my hair. I ended up applying my oil and then dcing with the slip so I can do a twistout. Applied the dc to dry hair this time so hope I still love it.

HPG

I wonder if my hair is long enough for bantu knots??? When my hair was long it was a no go because it NEVER dried... EVER!!!!

And HairPleezeGrow I'm making a new rule that we dont have to apologize for our back fat!!! I'm tired of saying sorry for my back fat! I'm grown! You dont like my back fat then come pay my bills, make me a meal plan and cook said meal plan and pay for my gym membership with a personal trainer!

Until then me and my back fat gone be all over this forum!!! NO MORE APOLOGIES!!!

I wonder if my hair is long enough for bantu knots??? When my hair was long it was a no go because it NEVER dried... EVER!!!!

And HairPleezeGrow I'm making a new rule that we dont have to apologize for our back fat!!! I'm tired of saying sorry for my back fat! I'm grown! You dont like my back fat then come pay my bills, make me a meal plan and cook said meal plan and pay for my gym membership with a personal trainer!

Until then me and my back fat gone be all over this forum!!! NO MORE APOLOGIES!!!

Were you doing them on soaking wet hair? And what products did you use? Try it on dry hair with a holding cream, gel, or pudding and maybe sit under the dryer so yours can dry.

Haha okay no more apologies for the back fat!

HPG

Not going to lie. I havent had enough hair to do it in over a year and before that I hadnt tried it in over a year so I dont know what I tried. I just know every time I took them down they were still wet lol

I'm tired of having short hair. I just want to wash it condition it and put it up in a bun. :sad:

ME TOO!!! I miss those days. But I also miss my straight bald days too lol I thinks its cause I'm lazy :lol:

But I cant wait til I can make a real bun with out hair poking out all over the place lol

I don't think I posted my starting pics for this challenge. I'm EL now and wigging my way back to SL and beyond.

I'm currently relaxed at 10 weeks post. I'm stretching to 15 weeks. I don't like my hair right now because I'm growing out a pixie cut. It's too short to do anything to it. I decided to use heat today to do a mini length check.

View attachment 218053

View attachment 218055

Last edited:
nothing new to report...wash day was Thurs, prepoo'd with hair trigger on the scalp and walnut/grapeseed on damp hair. Washed with giovanni 50:50 poo, dc'd w a tea rinse. Braided hair into ten with hemp seed oil, hair trigger in the scalp and givanni leavein. I just took the braids out and my hair feels moisturized. didnt use any product when undoing the braids.

Still here. Im taking my biotin faithfully and im still PS. Length check in a couple of weeks when I take out my braids.

I'm doing a 25 weeks of twist countdown to help me focus on something else besides growth. Just washing weekly and wearing twist for now. Nothing new. My hair is feeling good for a change.

Oiled my scalp last night and applied lime oil to my cornrows. Im not getting my braids so I cornrowed my hair to continue to wig it.

HPG

Hello all!
I don't think I ever really did a proper check in. I officially started my hair journey in June 2013, after going from almost BSL to EL/NL in January.

In may (18th), I relaxed my hair after stretching for 4 months, and I was very happy with my hair growth. As happy as I was that I now had enough hair to tie, I knew I wanted more. I June decided I wanted BSL hair within a year to a year and a half. So that same month, in June, I started taking better care of my hair. I co-wash and I moisturize sometimes. I am still learning about this new hair care thing, so I don't have a lot of products in my regimen. I only have shampoo, conditioner, 1 Scurl moisturizer and 3 oils (EVCO, EVOO and the HEMP oil I bought about 2 weeks ago). Right now I am looking for a good protein treatment because I think my hair desperately needs it.:yep: Any suggestions?

I am not using any growth aids yet, as everything I hear people using are extremly expensive where I live. I wanted to get some biotin, but the 5,000MCG here is $15.00 on amazon. I looked in stores, but they have the smallest bottles of about 30 tabs of 350mcg for $12- $13. So for now, I'll do without the growth aids. I might go to NY this summer, if I do, I'll stock up on the biotin.

Below, you will see some pictures of my progress. Sorry about the bad pics:blush:

1st picture-
June 2013, when I first started my hair journey. I was almost 2 weeks post relaxer on that picture and my hair was bone straight. It looked quite dry compared to now.

2nd and 3rd picture-
July 2013, one month and a half after my hair journey began. My hair is partly air dried on those picture. I texlaxed my hair without even knowing I was texlaxing. I put a load of olive oil on my hair before I relaxed, and all my hair remained textured except about 2 inches of the ends. I have definitely gained some lenghth, but unfortunately I couldn't straighten my hair to check because I am on the "summer 2013 no head challenge". That challenge is doing some serious good to my hair. If straightened, my hair would be about an inch or so longer than it appears in those pictures. My bangs are still very short, about ear length.

4th picture-
Shows upclose how my accidently texturized hair is. I also have about 1.5 inches of new growth. I am about 8 weeks post relaxer now.

Hopefully I will be shoulder length by the end of the summer (end of september). That leaves me with only about 2 and a half month- fingers crossed. Any suggestion on how I can improve my hair regimen to meet my goal is welcomed.

Anyway, even though I don't post here often, I am always watching and reading what you guys are posting. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Attachments

• June 2013 straight length.jpg
    June 2013 straight length.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 21
  • July 2013 partly air dried hair 1.jpg
    July 2013 partly air dried hair 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 20
  • July 2013 partly air dried hair 2.jpg
    July 2013 partly air dried hair 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • new growth July 2013.jpg
    new growth July 2013.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 21
Back to posting on a regular. I washed tonight with my CON Ultra Moisturizing poo & conditioned for about 45 minutes with ORS Replenishing condish. Elasta QP Olive & Mango Butter leave-in & in 2 ponytails to the back to air dry. I'm able to do things that I never thought I would be able to do. Like be 26 weeks post & go 3 months at a time with no direct heat :grin::grin:. Still rocking a curly phony pony for my PS to work on my edges & I'll buy a new one this Friday to keep it fresh looking. I think I co-washed on Wednesday.....or Thursday (I forget) with HEHH & used up the last of that stash. I don't want to buy too many more products so I'll move on to the half bottle of V05 that I have & see how it works with my two textures.

I tried CON Argon Oil Sulfate-free poo twice last week & my hair appeared to like it a lot. Since Walgreens has a BOGO free sale going on, I think I'll be racking up before the sale goes off!!

In may (18th), I relaxed my hair after stretching for 4 months, and I was very happy with my hair growth. As happy as I was that I now had enough hair to tie, I knew I wanted more. I June decided I wanted BSL hair within a year to a year and a half. So that same month, in June, I started taking better care of my hair. I co-wash and I moisturize sometimes. I am still learning about this new hair care thing, so I don't have a lot of products in my regimen. I only have shampoo, conditioner, 1 Scurl moisturizer and 3 oils (EVCO, EVOO and the HEMP oil I bought about 2 weeks ago). Right now I am looking for a good protein treatment because I think my hair desperately needs it.:yep: Any suggestions?

I am not using any growth aids yet, as everything I hear people using are extremly expensive where I live. I wanted to get some biotin, but the 5,000MCG here is $15.00 on amazon. I looked in stores, but they have the smallest bottles of about 30 tabs of 350mcg for $12- $13. So for now, I'll do without the growth aids. I might go to NY this summer, if I do, I'll stock up on the biotin.

Below, you will see some pictures of my progress. Sorry about the bad pics:blush:

1st picture-
June 2013, when I first started my hair journey. I was almost 2 weeks post relaxer on that picture and my hair was bone straight. It looked quite dry compared to now.

2nd and 3rd picture-
July 2013, one month and a half after my hair journey began. My hair is partly air dried on those picture. I texlaxed my hair without even knowing I was texlaxing. I put a load of olive oil on my hair before I relaxed, and all my hair remained textured except about 2 inches of the ends. I have definitely gained some lenghth, but unfortunately I couldn't straighten my hair to check because I am on the "summer 2013 no head challenge". That challenge is doing some serious good to my hair. If straightened, my hair would be about an inch or so longer than it appears in those pictures. My bangs are still very short, about ear length.

4th picture-
Shows upclose how my accidently texturized hair is. I also have about 1.5 inches of new growth. I am about 8 weeks post relaxer now.

Hopefully I will be shoulder length by the end of the summer (end of september). That leaves me with only about 2 and a half month- fingers crossed. Any suggestion on how I can improve my hair regimen to meet my goal is welcomed.

Anyway, even though I don't post here often, I am always watching and reading what you guys are posting. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Welcome.

For protein I use local products. I like the Giovanni Nutrafix. I also use 4 Naturals Reconstructor which I get from Sally's. ION Reconstructors at Sallys also work well.

Are you in the US? If so stick to 1000mcg or 2000 mcg of biotin to start with. You can get that from any CVS, Target, Walgreen and it shouldn't be that expensive. Hold off on the 5000mcg until after you have tried the lower dose and you are sure it won't break you out.

Back to posting on a regular. I washed tonight with my CON Ultra Moisturizing poo & conditioned for about 45 minutes with ORS Replenishing condish. Elasta QP Olive & Mango Butter leave-in & in 2 ponytails to the back to air dry. I'm able to do things that I never thought I would be able to do. Like be 26 weeks post & go 3 months at a time with no direct heat :grin::grin:. Still rocking a curly phony pony for my PS to work on my edges & I'll buy a new one this Friday to keep it fresh looking. I think I co-washed on Wednesday.....or Thursday (I forget) with HEHH & used up the last of that stash. I don't want to buy too many more products so I'll move on to the half bottle of V05 that I have & see how it works with my two textures.

I tried CON Argon Oil Sulfate-free poo twice last week & my hair appeared to like it a lot. Since Walgreens has a BOGO free sale going on, I think I'll be racking up before the sale goes off!!

Sounds like you are in a great place right now. :yep:

Tatilove
Congrats on your HHJ and welcome. For protein, look for products with keratin to give your hair strength. Veg, wheat, soy, rice, oat and silk proteins helps the hair hold moisture and also strengthen the hair. Collagen is good to thicken hair.

The ORS replenishing conditioner is a good choice and so are the nubian heritage masques. They also have a good rinse out conditioner too. These can be found at walgreens, cvs, target, walmart along with the ORS. A lot of people use Giovanni conditioners and aubrey organics but Ive never tried them. Wen 613, Wen summer mango, Wen gardenia green tea and some of the others have several proteins. Also I have the Millcreek keratin conditioner but I haven't tried it yet.

Hope this helps!!

Back