Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

I really want to stretch past eight weeks. I am always feeling like I ride the fence on this one. You ladies really motivate me. I get so anxious right around that eight week mark and I want to see my progress right a way so I give in and relax.

Perhaps I can stretch with the help of a stylist to rollerset and flat iron roots weekly. But shoots, If I go thru trouble to flat iron weekly I wonder if it is doing more harm than good?

Thinking it thru, lets see, that chemical is murder on prevously relaxed hair, so maybe not. (sigh) decisions, decisions.

Right now I am at 6 weeks post. So I have 2 more weeks to go before I start getting antsy as Aug 26 makes 8 weeks. I am going to see if I can find a supportive stylist this weekend to help me stretch to at thru 12 weeks.

17 weeks post checking in :wavey:
My last stretch was just over 8 months and I'm going to match it. I'll relax again in December just in time for the HYH reveal. I have been doing lots of co-washes and bunning. I tame my edges with mango butter and a satin scarf. I need to get with the program and try adding some coconut milk to my deep conditioning treatments :scratchch

Hmmmm, this sounds interesting. Do you have a specific recipe for each of the ingredients? Does the coconut milk still have the same loosening effect with these other ingredients added?

Yes the coconut milk still loosens curls. The evoo adds shine and fortifies the hair shaft. The honey is a great humectant. The condish does its thang. This is my favorite pre-poo treatment on dry hair.

I am approaching week 18 this Sunday!!!!! This is the furthest I have ever stretched!!! I concentrate this concoction on the demarcation line at first, and then I do so on the ends. I let it sit anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on my schedule that day.

I really want to stretch past eight weeks. I am always feeling like I ride the fence on this one. You ladies really motivate me. I get so anxious right around that eight week mark and I want to see my progress right a way so I give in and relax.

Serenity, whatever you do, keep up w/the updates, cause I love your hair. :grin:

18 weeks...I just washed my hair last night and it was really tangled. I still lost the normal amount of hair so no worries. I'm thinking about purchasing the con poo(green bottle) but I dunno. I disliked it years ago, but things maybe different now. I may get red and the green one to test out :yep:

19 weeks... I tried the con shampoo and I like it. Its not as slick and slimey as I remember and my hair was very easy to detangle.

I am thinking about relaxing Labor day weekend though...

I'm currently at 7 weeks and I'm going for 12. If I feel like I can go longer I will. The key for me has been deep conditioning at least once per week and co-washes after my workouts. This seems to keep my new growth nice and moist. :yep:

Just want to encourage everyone who is stretching. As you learn techniques for handling your new growth each successive stretch becomes easier and often longer.

Also, if you're a stretching newbie, you may not be able to go from relaxing every six weeks to six months on your first stretch. Take it by stages and you'll be stretching for six months in no time.

Now I'm going to say something that goes against the grain: do not feel bad if you cannot stretch during the summer months. In fact, if this is your first time, it might be best to wait until the cooler months, because the humidity and perspiration can make your new growth get the best of you. If you're stretching through the dog days of summer, try twist outs, braid outs, or any other style that blends the two textures.

Good luck to all of you and keep up the good work. :clap:

Just want to encourage everyone who is stretching. As you learn techniques for handling your new growth each successive stretch becomes easier and often longer.

Also, if you're a stretching newbie, you may not be able to go from relaxing every six weeks to six months on your first stretch. Take it by stages and you'll be stretching for six months in no time.

Now I'm going to say something that goes against the grain: do not feel bad if you cannot stretch during the summer months. In fact, if this is your first time, it might be best to wait until the cooler months, because the humidity and perspiration can make your new growth get the best of you. If you're stretching through the dog days of summer, try twist outs, braid outs, or any other style that blends the two textures.

Good luck to all of you and keep up the good work. :clap:

Thanks! I needed that. :grin: I was about to give up, thinking why the heck am I doing this. I'm battling a bad relaxer so I'm doing a 6-month stretch. May reduce it to 4months since this is my first time

Hey superstretchers!

I used to stretch for 3months at a time now I'm relaxing just twice a year:grin:
The key for me is the quality of the SHAMPOO. Ladies if your wondering why your conditioner is failing you after your hair is dry, consider changing your shampoo.

Also air drying and setting my hair in particular. And I love me some Carefree curl and Carefree Curl gold spray:lick:. (Softsheen makes the best drugstore products).

ETA: I think it's about time for me to post udate pics

I want Lady Esq. to come do my hair. It's ticking me off. I tried to do a rollerset. Booooooooo. Curls didn't stay. Even when I finger combed my ends came out straight. Grrrrrrrrr. And I have a carpet growing on my scalp. I'm tired of my hair.

I want Lady Esq. to come do my hair. It's ticking me off. I tried to do a rollerset. Booooooooo. Curls didn't stay. Even when I finger combed my ends came out straight. Grrrrrrrrr. And I have a carpet growing on my scalp. I'm tired of my hair.

Awwwwww, MoMo, We both live in the "A"....we should have a beauty day and take hold of that unruly hair. What products are you using?

My 6-month stretch is almost over and I am so relieved. lol. I was really considering transitioning, but I just don't think it's the right time for me. I won't be stretching as long in the future, just because I got impatient at times when detangling and lost more hair than necessary. This is what worked for me...no airdrying, rollersetting then flat-ironing roots, pre-pooing with oils and conditioner, braidouts, buns...etc.

Hey SkinnyMocah, I totally understand the feeling, especially the bolded part. I ended up getting a perm-rod set done last saturday and the curls held up for a whole week (see pic in siggy). I wore a satin scarf to bed and in the morning, I just shook my head to revive the curls and that was it. Didn't do much to straighten the roots, but by just repositioning some of the curls, I was able to hide the ng. hth. Good luck!

My 6-month stretch is almost over and I am so relieved. lol. I was really considering transitioning, but I just don't think it's the right time for me. I won't be stretching as long in the future, just because I got impatient at times when detangling and lost more hair than necessary. This is what worked for me...no airdrying, rollersetting then flat-ironing roots, pre-pooing with oils and conditioner, braidouts, buns...etc.

Your perm rod set is really pretty. What size rods did they use?

Your perm rod set is really pretty. What size rods did they use?

Thanks LadyEsquire:Blush2:. I wish I knew. This was my first time getting it done. She handed me the bag and just told me to pass them to her. As far I as remember, there were 2 different sizes and she used the long ones...:yep:

I am already at 6 months and going strong. My hair can be difficult at times to deal with, but the coconut milk really makes a difference!:yep: I didn't expect to be able to go this long, but I find that I am falling in love with the waves when I slick my hair back in a bun. I have about 3 inches of NG now. I really wanna see how long I can hold out. It makes me feel better to know that with a little extra effort, I can get my NG as straight as the relaxed hair. It really has me thinking about not relaxing anymore. :rolleyes:

Thanks LadyEsquire:Blush2:. I wish I knew. This was my first time getting it done. She handed me the bag and just told me to pass them to her. As far I as remember, there were 2 different sizes and she used the long ones...:yep:

...I had to comment on how cute the rod set is. I am lovin' it!:yep:

I'am currently at week 12,I'm going for week 14 but probably a bit longer.
I used to stretch between 10-17 weeks,lately just 10.
I think it has been so easy so far b/c of my co-washes and DC with Humectress and Frizz Eaze DC treatment.I think Mane N' Tail is helping out a bunch as well

...I had to comment on how cute the rod set is. I am lovin' it!:yep:

Thanks TGTL! I loved waking up in the morning and not having to worry about my hair. Sleeping at night was another story:grin:...I wish I was as determined as you. I got two more weeks to go and I've actually thought about stretching longer :spinning:...I love the way your twists came out! I've been wanting to get some done for a while now...

I've decided after this last 6 month strecth i will switch to 12 weeks only, and touch up with a mild relaxer instead. i always have to resort to braiding due to my kinky newgrowth texture, and i'm not enjoying the fruits of my labour by simply putting my hair away in braids all the time. i'm working on a new regimen to help me strecth 12 weeeks without braiding, i will still use protective styles.

Thanks TGTL! I loved waking up in the morning and not having to worry about my hair. Sleeping at night was another story:grin:...I wish I was as determined as you. I got two more weeks to go and I've actually thought about stretching longer :spinning:...I love the way your twists came out! I've been wanting to get some done for a while now...

I don't know if it is determination as much as it is fear. I love how full and thick my hair is becoming and I don't want to mess that up. Plus it feels so much healthier. I don't know WHEN I'll relax again. The coconut milk has helped so much too. Keeps this stuff tamed.

Thanks for the compliment though. The twists looked nice, but I think they were more trouble than they were worth. You saw what they did to my hair. Plus, they were waaaaaay too full for me to wear in uniform and too heavy. I wasn't feelin' those. I want to do another set, but it won't be the same folks doing them....and I'm just too lazy to do them myself.:grin:

Sorry guys, I'm out! I relaxed last week. I was having a lot of breakage, which I attributed to my overprocessed hair, but my stylist adviced me to do a mild relaxer to see if it would help my breakage. I'm glad I listened to her b/c my breakage had TREMENDOUSLY reduced. I only get little fall-outs here & there.

Apparently while I was stretching my NG & overprocessed hair were combating. Also, my stylist did a corrective relaxer since the person who did my last relaxer used no-lye, which I have now discovered my hair HATES!

Thanks for giving me all the support I needed, ladies. MWAH!

Sorry guys, I'm out! I relaxed last week. I was having a lot of breakage, which I attributed to my overprocessed hair, but my stylist adviced me to do a mild relaxer to see if it would help my breakage. I'm glad I listened to her b/c my breakage had TREMENDOUSLY reduced. I only get little fall-outs here & there.

Apparently while I was stretching my NG & overprocessed hair were combating. Also, my stylist did a corrective relaxer since the person who did my last relaxer used no-lye, which I have now discovered my hair HATES!

Thanks for giving me all the support I needed, ladies. MWAH!

Oh, it's okay lady.....you'll be back!:grin:

ok, i need some support ladies, i am currently 6 weeks post and i am trying to make it to week 10. Believe that is a stretch for me:ohwell: I have 4b hair and i have never been able to go past 8 weeks without a sew in, i dont have one right now. My stylist wanted to relax me at 5 weeks *gasp* and before i found LHCF i would have let her, she went on and on about how its not healthy for my hair and it would break off if she didnt relax it. oh well, dis is the same lady i saw slap a perm on somebodys head with her hand:nono: i never let her do that to me. i told her that i think she overlaps and she was pissed at me. i dunno, maybe i need a new stylist, but i can get away with more stuff wit her. anyways, thanks for letting me vent:rolleyes:

ok, i need some support ladies, i am currently 6 weeks post and i am trying to make it to week 10. Believe that is a stretch for me:ohwell: I have 4b hair and i have never been able to go past 8 weeks without a sew in, i dont have one right now. My stylist wanted to relax me at 5 weeks *gasp* and before i found LHCF i would have let her, she went on and on about how its not healthy for my hair and it would break off if she didnt relax it. oh well, dis is the same lady i saw slap a perm on somebodys head with her hand:nono: i never let her do that to me. i told her that i think she overlaps and she was pissed at me. i dunno, maybe i need a new stylist, but i can get away with more stuff wit her. anyways, thanks for letting me vent:rolleyes:

Congrats on not letting her in your head and sticking to your guns!:grin:
Have you tried braids, bantu knots, twist outs, and conditioner washes?
There are a lot of tips and tricks these ladies have shared as well as products that seem to work wonders. I know dealing with new growth can be exciting as well as frustrating!

Not to hijack the thread or anything since it's prob the first time Im posting in it but I'm currently 10 weeks and suffering but Im trying to hold out!

There are a lot of tips and tricks these ladies have shared as well as products that seem to work wonders. I know dealing with new growth can be exciting as well as frustrating!

Not to hijack the thread or anything since it's prob the first time Im posting in it but I'm currently 10 weeks and suffering but Im trying to hold out!

congrats on the 10 weeks. I believe in you guys. I'm 13 going on 14 weeks now. the key is moisture and co washes.

Hi NY, i have tried cond. washers and twist outs, i havent had any bantu knots i was just looking at sisterslicks tutorial on them today, i may give it a shot. I think that you can do it, how long are you trying to stretch?

Back