Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

I'm officially 6 months and 2 days post relaxer. I'm tempted to relax but I will be patient. Right now the cheapie products are working for me like Herbal essence breaks over. With those I can detangle in the shower from root to tip no problem.

So i'll be 8wks post this wednesday, i usually stetch til 16wks but this time around i wanna try a 6 months stretch. My last retouch my stylist really underprocessed my hair in the crown area. That alone makes me very nervous about what's to come, lol. But so far so good, if i could stretch with no problem every 16wks then this shouldn't be too bad. I really hope everything will be okay, i'm really nervous suprisingly.:perplexed

I'm a transitioner and therefore a stretcher :)
I have gone 7 months so far and I am very dissatisfied with the amount of new growth that i have attained. I also look so ugly, I don't have a complex about my hair or texture etc. but because of how thin my hair is now, I really don't like how my hair looks. I really hope that I can get thick luscious hair back again.

I'm a transitioner and therefore a stretcher :)
I have gone 7 months so far and I am very dissatisfied with the amount of new growth that i have attained. I also look so ugly, I don't have a complex about my hair or texture etc. but because of how thin my hair is now, I really don't like how my hair looks. I really hope that I can get thick luscious hair back again.

Same here. I don't even dress nice when I go to work anymore, because my hair doesn't match.:perplexed

Neutragena Triple Silk Cream, Hawiian Silky 14 in 1 (my new fav)

I section my hair and put it on my newgrowth then tie a scarf and it really helps.

I got this from sylver2 and tweeked it for me.

http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/2008/

And like Aggie said DC, DC, DC (moisture) and some protein DCs for strength.

Deep conditioning, deep conditioning, deep conditioning using moisturizing deep conditioners like Mizani Moisturefuse and Keracre Humecto, etc!!! I also use either Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner or Profectic anti-tangle leave-in treatment - they both soften my hair and help me with detangling. I also balance with a little protein condtioning as well.

Gee, thanks ladies. That's why my hair kept telling me to DC tonight even though I don't feel like. Was wondering how much DC it too much. Just DC Friday night and felt it was too early to do again on today. But my hair feels dry. I'm just tired from work (nursing, LAWD) and my three year-old dd wears me out sometimes. It's a struggle just to get ready for the next day and I sure don't feel like messing with my hair to be honest about it. Oh well... maybe I can last one more day.

I am sooooo glad this thread just popped up! I just posted about my hair shedding during stretches! This thread helps alot!! So I am SUBSCRIBING!!!

I just finished month 3 of my stretch. My aunt and cousin have encouraged me to wait a little longer before my next touch up. I usually relax at 3 months, but I may hold out until 4 and see how it goes! My cousin and aunt stretch for 6 months at a time, and they don't even know anything about LHCF! :lol: I don't think I'm ready for a 6 month stretch yet, though. Maybe if I find the right lace front... Wish me luck!

YEAH, I GOT ABOUT almost 2 weeks left until I relax. My next two stretches will be 12 weeks as well, so my relaxer after this one I'm going on vacation, and two relaxers from now I am going on a conference. I love stretching...It has improved the thickness and condition of my hair. After my next two relaxers spaced at 12 to 13 week intervals, I might try a 16 week (gulp) stretch.

I wonder if I have what it takes to pull that one off :)

I am sooooo glad this thread just popped up! I just posted about my hair shedding during stretches! This thread helps alot!! So I am SUBSCRIBING!!!

Protien might help you with the shedding. I SHED LIKE A BANCHEE last time I relaxed. Like freaking crazy. And this time I'm hardly shedding at all!! But I am doing bi weekly protien treatments. This makes a difference. Try that and see if it helps.

I also usually lather twice when I shampoo, but deeper in my stretch I lather once....and I find it helps my hair retain moisture, and this also helps me (I think) with the shedding.

try it and see if it works.

I'm only about a month and a half post of my 6 month stretch and i cant take it.....during my last relaxer, the stylist left me underprocessed after a 14 week stretch, and the funny thing is...my roots were bone straight but my hair was still rough....the NG in kicking my *** and its only been 6 weeks....to think I have 18 more to go!!!! grrr....

Protien might help you with the shedding. I SHED LIKE A BANCHEE last time I relaxed. Like freaking crazy. And this time I'm hardly shedding at all!! But I am doing bi weekly protien treatments. This makes a difference. Try that and see if it helps.

I also usually lather twice when I shampoo, but deeper in my stretch I lather once....and I find it helps my hair retain moisture, and this also helps me (I think) with the shedding.

After reading through a few threads and with the help of another young lady ( I wish I could remember her name) I realize that I need protein so I will be handling that Thanks Mahogany and the other lady!

This is my first strecth EVER:perplexed... I'm going for 16 weeks, and the first half is over. I already have over an inch of NG/wild animal thats taking over my head!!!! This weekend i'm getting braids to help tame the beast for the next 8 weeks:lachen::lachen:...I'm nervous

I am at 4 weeks post today. This would normally be the day I relax. But I canceled my appointment and am going to try and stretch. As you can see from my siggy I have had bad luck with this in the past. But I am determined to find the product--cream, spray, balm, oil, whatever--that will soften up my NG enough to keep my hair from breaking. I lose so much hair when I have NG; gobs of hair in the sink. It makes me want to cry. But I am trying again. I've easily spent $100 last month on moisturizers and conditioners. Nothing seems to keep my NG soft enough. If anyone has been through this please help. I bought the daily moisturizer from Creme of Nature today. Maybe that will be 'the one'. Anyway, I am taking this stretching thing one week at a time. Wish me luck.

I am at 4 weeks post today. This would normally be the day I relax. But I canceled my appointment and am going to try and stretch. As you can see from my siggy I have had bad luck with this in the past. But I am determined to find the product--cream, spray, balm, oil, whatever--that will soften up my NG enough to keep my hair from breaking. I lose so much hair when I have NG; gobs of hair in the sink. It makes me want to cry. But I am trying again. I've easily spent $100 last month on moisturizers and conditioners. Nothing seems to keep my NG soft enough. If anyone has been through this please help. I bought the daily moisturizer from Creme of Nature today. Maybe that will be 'the one'. Anyway, I am taking this stretching thing one week at a time. Wish me luck.

LaidBak, make sure to add some protein treatments in your regimen to strengthen your demarcation line. Maybe try some Duo Tex or Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor once a week followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner, okay?

I'm two weeks post tomorrow. I'm at least planning to do a 17 week stretch like last time. I may go longer. I will take it one week at a time once I reach 17 weeks. My last stretch was really issue free.

I'll be 11 weeks post in 2 days and I will attempt to stretch 12 weeks this time. I must admit, if it wasn't for my braids, I don't think I would have made it this far:look:. My new growth has been out of control from week 7.

This is my first stretch. I am at about 9 weeks and I am really tempted to give in because my edges are so moisture resistant. My goal is 12 weeks.

I used Profectiv 'Mega Growth' Growth lotion and Aphogee Provitamin Leave in conditioner and blow dried the roots. That helped soften the NG everywhere but on the edges (particularly sides). Would I be cheating if I relaxed the edges only???? Just kidding....I am going to try to hang in there. Pray for me!!

This is my 3rd stretch. My first was 10, my 2nd was 13...They were both so hard. This time I'm not sure how long I will go. At least 10 but hopefully longer. I will say that right now I am 6 weeks post and my NG is under control. I think DC'ing helps alot and moisturizing my roots well, like Sylver2 said in her fotki has helped alot. I use the scarf method and it works for my 4a hair.

Stretching is a must....I will have my hair back the way it was when I was younger and so far I can tell that stretching really is key. But stretching the right way is so important or you can break off your hair.

Condition, Condition, Condition
Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize
^Thinks out Loud^

I don't think I can last any longer. I will be seven weeks post on Saturday. Soo tired of the shedding and breakage. I don't think my hair is made for this stretching as all heads are not alike. If I don't get braids or a phony pony or something this weekend, I WILL RELAX! Sure thought I could do it.

I don't think I can last any longer. I will be seven weeks post on Saturday. Soo tired of the shedding and breakage. I don't think my hair is made for this stretching as all heads are not alike. If I don't get braids or a phony pony or something this weekend, I WILL RELAX! Sure thought I could do it.

Get some braids or twists. Your hair will thank you. Stop trying to comb your hair unless you are under the shower. Do you co wash?

LaidBak, make sure to add some protein treatments in your regimen to strengthen your demarcation line. Maybe try some Duo Tex or Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor once a week followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner, okay?
Will do. Thanks!

You sound like me. I made to just past 10. I could not take the fuzz any longer. :nono:

I'm two weeks post tomorrow. I'm at least planning to do a 17 week stretch like last time. I may go longer. I will take it one week at a time once I reach 17 weeks. My last stretch was really issue free.

Wow! I am going for 17 weeks myself. I will be 10 weeks tomorrow.

Like someone else asked, do you cowash? And tie down with a scarf? I am almost 10 weeks post and last night I cowashed, slicked in some Redken Butter Treat and tied down with a scarf. This morning, I was able to get a really sleek look and I can't keep my hand out of my roots. They feel so lush!!! :lick: No heat, no comb, no brush. Just cowash and tie down at night. :lick:

img538.jpg

i'm having a little bit of shedding, but not nearly as bad as the first time i tried to stretch. i looked a hot mess. :nono: now, i feel equipped to stretch successfully this time. :yep: i co-wash every other day, run some CSI (no clue why; i just like it) and JBCO and comb through (though i know i have to stop raking through my hair) and then secure with a scarf. when i wake up in the morning, my hair is sleek and moisturized and my roots feel so soft. :lick:

i plan to try the Duo Tex if my NG should come to be unmanageable. :yep:

Bi-weekly protein, heavy protein like Emergencee or Aphogee 2-min or the stinky kind (sorry, I forget the name...it's setting in my cabinet lol)? I recently decided to henna again after having a bad result a few months ago. I had used Bigen several weeks before the henna and I now know that was the major problem with the dryness. I'm thinking using a 1-hr henna treatment (so not to overload the hair) in natural to leave a redness so I can very easily see the new growth then deep moisturizing weekly. I'm trying to figure out if I wanna henna for the protein or Emergencee in addition because this shedding...good lawd! I know I need a touch-up but I want to stretch so badly. I have bought Silk Elements lye in mild. I hope I don't lose my hair lolol:look:

Wow! I am going for 17 weeks myself. I will be 10 weeks tomorrow.

Like someone else asked, do you cowash? And tie down with a scarf? I am almost 10 weeks post and last night I cowashed, slicked in some Redken Butter Treat and tied down with a scarf. This morning, I was able to get a really sleek look and I can't keep my hand out of my roots. They feel so lush!!! :lick: No heat, no comb, no brush. Just cowash and tie down at night. :lick:

I used to cowash often when I began my hair journery last year but my hair was mushy from moisture overload and lack of protein. I have never stretched unless I had braids. This is the first time I have stretched and I have a lot to learn. I am happy to say that I did do a protein treament on my hair (an egg mixed with Pantene R&N; didn't have any Two step or Emergencee) and that helped. I REALLY moisturized with HE LTR and sealed with jojoba oil and that REALLY REALLY helped the shedding. I will invest in a phony pony (my hair is not long) or get some braids soon and start cowashing while implenting the protein so I can win this battle. Thanks for the tip. And thank you as well longdayinthepark!:hug2:

Back