Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Disclaimer: This is my personal technique and I do not recommend anybody else try it.

I just figured out a way to stretch my relaxers. First of all, I switched down to mild SE Relaxer for touchups. Secondly, I mix Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair with Aphogee Moisturizing Conditioner or Silicon Mix. I wash, dry to 80%, apply conditoner mix, blow dry to 100%, then flat iron hot, paying spec. attention to the roots. I run a pass several times until the steam stops. The keratin is infused. I don't manipulate the hair for about 2 days. Then I wet, apply oil (coconut, olive or castor) for several minutes, then wash with ayurvedic shikakai soap. Voila. My hair stays straight for almost a month. I know, it sounds crazy but it helps me get the roots straight without relying upon a relaxer every 4-5 weeks because I have relatively fast growth. It feels sealed and shiny and smooth for weeks on end. In between, I just oil rinse or shampoo with ayurveda and apply jojoba, butters, anything I may have lying around. So far, no problems. My ultimate goal is to be able to stretch many months at a time with the relaxer but it's difficult since I shed rather quickly with ng. This helps tremendously...knock on wood...so far.

Disclaimer: This is my personal technique and I do not recommend anybody else try it.

I just figured out a way to stretch my relaxers. First of all, I switched down to mild SE Relaxer for touchups. Secondly, I mix Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair with Aphogee Moisturizing Conditioner or Silicon Mix. I wash, dry to 80%, apply conditoner mix, blow dry to 100%, then flat iron hot, paying spec. attention to the roots. I run a pass several times until the steam stops. The keratin is infused. I don't manipulate the hair for about 2 days. Then I wet, apply oil (coconut, olive or castor) for several minutes, then wash with ayurvedic shikakai soap. Voila. My hair stays straight for almost a month. I know, it sounds crazy but it helps me get the roots straight without relying upon a relaxer every 4-5 weeks because I have relatively fast growth. It feels sealed and shiny and smooth for weeks on end. In between, I just oil rinse or shampoo with ayurveda and apply jojoba, butters, anything I may have lying around. So far, no problems. My ultimate goal is to be able to stretch many months at a time with the relaxer but it's difficult since I shed rather quickly with ng. This helps tremendously...knock on wood...so far.

What does that mean: "The keratin is infused"??? Is this a straightening process? Or is it a strengthening process? :look:Can this be done to the whole head: root-to-tip???:ohwell:

I'm at 10 weeks post today. I've been trying to hold off on relaxing since week 8. Every time I get the urge I go wash my hair and make sure I massage my scalp really well so I can't relax for a few days. I hope to stretch first 16 weeks then if it's still manageable 6 months or more and I'm on the fence about transitioning. I have been washing every few days and airdrying and bunning for work but I get frustrated on the weekends bc of limited styling options. I haven't really used direct heat in a while. I have a few half wigs to pull me through those times
My hair isn't really responding the same to any of my conditioners (Aphogee hardcore, ORS mayo, Silicon mix, AO Honeysuckle rose) so I tried the yogurt/olive oil/honey conditioning treatment today. My hair is still airdrying so I'll see how it works out when my hair is dry. Hopefully this yogurt treatment works

soooo help I want to relax im only 10 weeks in, how often can I blow out my roots? I want to stretch til march :perplexed. I do not know why this such a problem to me I usually stretch for 3-4 months:nono:

I relaxed last night and I'm SOOO happy! Just ended a four month stretch! It was rough, but empowering. I gained a LOT of length, too! I plan on stretching at least 4 months this time as well. Maybe one day I will get to 6 months!

About how much length did you gain? I am currently 6 weeks into a planned 17 week stretch. I'd like to know it will be worth it.

Today I had a complete stranger ask me if my hair was real and then said "I can see your new growth" :lachen: I admit that I was lazy this weekend and did not straighten my NG as much as usual after I took out the ponytail rollerset but I didn't think it was THAT obvious. I explained to her that I had stretched my relaxer to 12 weeks and had 4 weeks to go. She then commented that my hair looked healthy.

Stay focused ladies! We can do it!

31 weeks at least that what my calendar says. My last relaxer was 7/7/08. I know some say I might as well transition. Nope. I'm stretching as long as I can and see where this takes me.

For those who condition wash, how do you detangle OUT of the shower? What do you do with your hair to prevent breakage at the crown or demarcation?

I'm almost 12 weeks post and I'm going for a 6 month stretch. I intend to stay in braids until May. Depending on the amount of new growth I have, I may continue to stretch or relax.

Subscribing for motivation...

I'm at 26 weeks! i have braids in so that's helping. I only intended to stretch for 6 months but i may go ahead and TRY a year. we'll see how I'm feeling after the braids come out. you know how we get itchy to see progress!

For those who condition wash, how do you detangle OUT of the shower? What do you do with your hair to prevent breakage at the crown or demarcation?

I am 12 weeks post, going for 14, and I co-wash once perweek. First, I finger-detangle while my hair is still dry. Then I apply conditioner to my hair while dividing it into 4 sections. I cover with a plastic cap for at least an hour, remove the cap to find moisturized hair, including the crown and demarcation areas. I do a second finger-detangle, rinse in the shower, blot dry with a towel, then proceed to detangle with Jilbere de Paris shower comb as I rollerset.

I'm almost 12 weeks post and I'm going for a 6 month stretch. I intend to stay in braids until May. Depending on the amount of new growth I have, I may continue to stretch or relax.

Subscribing for motivation...
Well i am 12wks post and i'll be relaxing towards the end of May. Hang in there, i'm right with ya!

I'm coming up on 3 months post (I'm transitioning - not wearing weaves/braids/ponies) and I'm still finding the most successful things to be:

Moisturizing roots DAILY!
After moisturizing, continue using fingers to finger comb (carefully) and smooth down unruly areas with a wide toothed comb or boar bristle brush.
NO HEAT except on wash days (if curls are needed, touch up with Caruso steam rollers)

I only wash every two weeks (well my stylist does). I don't get build-up because I use natural oils (shea, coconut, olive, etc.) so it sinks into my strands.

I'm LOVING my transition... uhhh so far. I've been so tempted to try others' methods and products but I won't until what I do now stops working.

This has been my most difficult stretch to date!

And I've been doing stretches since August 2007. I was shedding and breaking all the time. Last week I resorted to a garlic treatment that cut all of that in its tracks. But I'm worried that I waited too long and may have experienced a setback. I guess I'll see when I relax.

So for the ladies who have the moisture/protein down and are still experiencing excessive shedding/breakage - I strongly suggest that you believe the garlic treatment hype.

I'm nine weeks - aiming for 14. I think I'll get braids for these last five weeks because I want to kick up my growth aids a notch without having to manipulate my hair too much.

I found a recipe on the forum, but deviated from it a little.

I mixed 3 cloves of ground garlic (food processor or grater) with about 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Saturated my hair with it and sat under heat for about 20 minutes.

After this, I followed with my normal moisturising DC, back under heat again. My hair did a TOTAL 180.

I had always heard about how effective the garlic treatments are but I thought I had everything under control lol.

Oh, I had bits of garlic in my hair because I had used a grater instead of a food processor. But I decided to blow dry instead of my normal air dry, and this got the pieces out. HTH

I am 12 weeks post, going for 14, and I co-wash once perweek. First, I finger-detangle while my hair is still dry. Then I apply conditioner to my hair while dividing it into 4 sections. I cover with a plastic cap for at least an hour, remove the cap to find moisturized hair, including the crown and demarcation areas. I do a second finger-detangle, rinse in the shower, blot dry with a towel, then proceed to detangle with Jilbere de Paris shower comb as I rollerset.

This is very helpful propurr4. I will try this hen things get rough with my stretch this time.

I will be 10 weeks post this Saturday.This is when i cross over into "Got Damn!" territory,because my ng just seems to turn vicious.

Kickign up my protein(dc'ing with a moisturizing condish + aphogee for damaged hair) helps keep this in check.Plus this is when Senscience cpr came through for me during my last stretch.I hope it sticks with me this go round.

I am 9 and a half weeks post. Going strong! :D Had a nape setback..:( Hoping stretching will help me retain length.

I plan on relaxing in APRIL if all goes well...If I don't see the progress I want/if I can hold out, maybe later!
~*Janelle~*

okay ladies...
if am experiencing breakage... should i try to stop it or relax?

I keep hoping that i'll try smthg else and the demarcation breakage will stop. i'm 12 weeks post 4b.

i posted on another thread couple nights ago and realized i was doing too much - too much manipulation.. some ladies thought it was time to just relax... i decided to kill the manipulation. so i haven't really touched my hair since.. just doing a moisturizer on the ends every day. but i'm scared the minute i wash it or do anything.. i'll see those long annoying quiggly strands again.. UGH!!!!!

I really want to stretch till end of march. but if i cant.. that's fine... what y'all think.

okay ladies...
if am experiencing breakage... should i try to stop it or relax?

I keep hoping that i'll try smthg else and the demarcation breakage will stop. i'm 12 weeks post 4b.

i posted on another thread couple nights ago and realized i was doing too much - too much manipulation.. some ladies thought it was time to just relax... i decided to kill the manipulation. so i haven't really touched my hair since.. just doing a moisturizer on the ends every day. but i'm scared the minute i wash it or do anything.. i'll see those long annoying quiggly strands again.. UGH!!!!!

I really want to stretch till end of march. but if i cant.. that's fine... what y'all think.

....but what are you doing to keep the new growth moisturized, too?? For me, the key to successful stretching is keeping the new growth very moist, it prevents breaking & snapping of dry new growth. Also, during my stretch, I really up my protein treatments especially near the demarcation line. I need that portion of hair to be particularly strong, since it is the area of the most weakness. I am currently 8 weeks into my 13week stretch. I use MT every nite....my new growth is a veritable FOREST!!!:wallbash: But as long as I continue to keep it moist, then I do not suffer excessive shedding and/or breakage. Are you making sure your new growth is kept moist???

Back