Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Took me 3 days to read this thread but it was worth it. I'm getting ready to relax after a 26 week stretch. Last Relaxer 6/27/08 - - Next one planned for 12/20/08 if I can get in to see my preferred stylist. If not I will stretch until she's available. I would love a straight look for Christmas though.

I have been stretching for years but I didn't know it and I so glad I found this forum in August. I think once I learn some more and get a handle on softening and detangling my new growth, I will transition to natural, because, love my natural texture.

This has been my easiest stretch in life. I realize that I can now retain my growth and reach my goal of BSL, without excessive frustration. I've been there before but my hair was not healthy.

I think my hair type is 4b because my new growth is very wavy. I will start a hair ablum soon. Thanks to all those who contributed tips in this thread.

OH NO!!!! i dont remember my last relaxer but i know it was early october. so i am almost 10 weeks post! and it is A MESS!!!! so i have come to a fork. should i try to henna && mess with conditioners && all that?? or should i relax, then henna, then do all that. i am not supposed to get a relaxer until january 17, 2009, which will put me at 15 weeks..... but if i relax now i can try my new regimen & start anew with measuring new growth && all that.....
uuggghhh!!! i need help... RELAX!> :arguing: <HENNA!
new growth pic attached

Attachments

• DSC00811.jpg
    DSC00811.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I am 7.5 weeks post with 9.5 weeks to go. In 2009 I am working on relaxing 3x a year or about every 17 weeks. It's going okay but I am on vacay without my trusty scarf (all I packed was my bonnet) :wallbash: so I've had to make do with puffy roots. I can't find a scarf like the one I got for only $1 at Claire's - I have been popping in every store and nothing compares. :nono:

I know when I get home my scarf will make my roots lay down and behave. :lachen:

I'm 13 weeks post as of today. I wanted to relax on Monday, but my stylist will not be back in town until next Wednesday! :shocked: So I guess I will be going 14 or 15 weeks now.

^^Wow Shay, my hero! Post some pics once you relax please, or let us know how much growth you got! :yep:

Prose I know it's tough to put off a relaxer once you're ready for it but your hair will be one week healthier, if that makes sense! :grin:

^^Wow Shay, my hero! Post some pics once you relax please, or let us know how much growth you got! :yep:

Prose I know it's tough to put off a relaxer once you're ready for it but your hair will be one week healthier, if that makes sense! :grin:

Thanks. I think I have about 2 inches of new growth. I will post pics bc I need to post a starting pic for a few challenges. Now it just may be a new avatar pic bc I have had trouble posting pics within my posts in the past. I'll start the process in a few hours.

Today I'm officially 20 weeks post and I must say I'm struggling to find styles. My hair is so hard to manage. My coconut oil routine is not even working. My husband is ready for me to relax. But I am really trying to go 30 weeks!

Any suggestions on hair styles?!
any products recommendations for 4b and beyond hair? something to get the new growth really soft and manageable?

I'm 11 weeks post and have 12 weeks to go, so I'm almost half way there.
My stylist is not going to enjoy trying to deal with touching up my 6 month post relaxer hair... however, last time I went for a touch up in October, I was about 43 weeks post.
She did see a VAST improvement after my first stretch and hopefully I can suprise her (and myself) again when I go back in March.

Today I'm officially 20 weeks post and I must say I'm struggling to find styles. My hair is so hard to manage. My coconut oil routine is not even working. My husband is ready for me to relax. But I am really trying to go 30 weeks!

Any suggestions on hair styles?!
any products recommendations for 4b and beyond hair? something to get the new growth really soft and manageable?

The only way I could deal with my 4b hair during my long stretch was to hide my hair. I basically plaited my hair in box braids and left them in for a week while wearing wigs. I washed, conditioned and plaited my hair every week (sometimes twice a week if I felt the need).

If you don't mind installing them, you may want to use sew ins, braid or cornrow extensions to help you get through the next ten weeks.

Wild Growth Oil (shame about the fragrance) Care Free Curl and Shea Butter get make my new growth soft.

Good luck!

I relaxed my hair 1 week ago after stretching for 12 weeks. My longest stretch ever has been 16 weeks. So every 3-4 months I get relaxers.

The only way I could deal with my 4b hair during my long stretch was to hide my hair. I basically plaited my hair in box braids and left them in for a week while wearing wigs. I washed, conditioned and plaited my hair every week (sometimes twice a week if I felt the need).

If you don't mind installing them, you may want to use sew ins, braid or cornrow extensions to help you get through the next ten weeks.

Wild Growth Oil (shame about the fragrance) Care Free Curl and Shea Butter get make my new growth soft.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding and for your suggestions. here's the other problem. i'm trying to get my edges to grow in from my micros i had in last year. they are thin. they are growing back in slowly and I'm scared that if i put in anymore braids, loose or cornrow they will pull them out and I will never get that hair to grow back. the wig idea i would LOVE to try but my husband is totally against wigs on anyone. he only makes exceptions for women over 70 and even then if they have at least a 1/2 inch of hair he would prefer to see that than a wig on a woman. i think his mom has really traumatized him when it comes to wigs.

sew in weaves are too expensive around here and they don't do a good job.

anyone know any braids styles that are loose enough or safe enough for someone trying to grow their edges in?

or any styles that are edges friendly.

i haven't tried roller setting at 20 wks with 4b hair. has anyone tried it? I may try tonight and take pictures. i have an event tomorrow and i have to do something. if i wear this nasty looking bun/pony tail my husband will disown me.

Last edited:
Friday I'll be at 9 weeks. It's still not too bad. I've been doing pony tail rollersets and that helps to get the roots smooth while still giving some curl to my ends. I will start back cowashing again - cwing helps a lot after week 11 or so. :grin:

Thank you so much for responding and for your suggestions. here's the other problem. i'm trying to get my edges to grow in from my micros i had in last year. they are thin. they are growing back in slowly and I'm scared that if i put in anymore braids, loose or cornrow they will pull them out and I will never get that hair to grow back. the wig idea i would LOVE to try but my husband is totally against wigs on anyone. he only makes exceptions for women over 70 and even then if they have at least a 1/2 inch of hair he would prefer to see that than a wig on a woman. i think his mom has really traumatized him when it comes to wigs.

sew in weaves are too expensive around here and they don't do a good job.

anyone know any braids styles that are loose enough or safe enough for someone trying to grow their edges in?

or any styles that are edges friendly.

i haven't tried roller setting at 20 wks with 4b hair. has anyone tried it? I may try tonight and take pictures. i have an event tomorrow and i have to do something. if i wear this nasty looking bun/pony tail my husband will disown me.

Is your hair relaxed or natural? I used to rollersets on my dd's natural hair and it helped to tame the tight coils. Her hair is 4z, SERIOUSLY!!! :look: Why don't you try it and see how it comes out? In the meantime, get some thin silky and pretty scarves and tie it around your edges like a headband - to make it look like you are trying to be decorative, NOT hiding your roots/edges. :look:

as promised here are the pics of my rollerset. don't you just love it when people promise to post pics and they do?!!!

hair3-1.jpg

hair7-2.jpg

hair2-1-1.jpg

hair6-1.jpg

Is your hair relaxed or natural? I used to rollersets on my dd's natural hair and it helped to tame the tight coils. Her hair is 4z, SERIOUSLY!!! :look: Why don't you try it and see how it comes out? In the meantime, get some thin silky and pretty scarves and tie it around your edges like a headband - to make it look like you are trying to be decorative, NOT hiding your roots/edges. :look:

i'm relaxed and 20 weeks post.

i tried the roller set. i posted pics

i love the scarf idea. thanks!

Just turned down the urge to relax this weekend. I am currently six weeks post which I applaud because I was the sista who relaxed every 4 weeks faithfully! I NEED to stretch my relaxers to help strengthen this thinning, problem area near my nape. I picked up a bottle of Nexxus Emergencee at Walgreen's but put it back thinking my Aphogee Keratin Two minute could do the trick but it hasn't slowed down nor stopped the breakage like I need it to. I will def go back and purchase it because I def need something heavier to help me stretch. Does anyone use any other product beside StaySofFro or SCurl to moisten new growth?

Just turned down the urge to relax this weekend. I am currently six weeks post which I applaud because I was the sista who relaxed every 4 weeks faithfully! I NEED to stretch my relaxers to help strengthen this thinning, problem area near my nape. I picked up a bottle of Nexxus Emergencee at Walgreen's but put it back thinking my Aphogee Keratin Two minute could do the trick but it hasn't slowed down nor stopped the breakage like I need it to. I will def go back and purchase it because I def need something heavier to help me stretch. Does anyone use any other product beside StaySofFro or SCurl to moisten new growth?

Congrats on your six week stretch so far tgrowe. Keep it up girl:yep:.

Thank you Aggie. Keep me and my NG in mind because, Lord, it's hard. What do you use to soften your new growth?

24 weeks for me. I can't relax this month because I went overboard with some products I bought online :look:. I need two boxes of Phyto so this month is out. Hopefully I will be able to relax in February. That would make it 28 weeks.

Thank you Aggie. Keep me and my NG in mind because, Lord, it's hard. What do you use to soften your new growth?

Deep conditioning, deep conditioning, deep conditioning using moisturizing deep conditioners like Mizani Moisturefuse and Keracre Humecto, etc!!! I also use either Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner or Profectic anti-tangle leave-in treatment - they both soften my hair and help me with detangling. I also balance with a little protein condtioning as well.

Last edited:
Neutragena Triple Silk Cream, Hawiian Silky 14 in 1 (my new fav)

I section my hair and put it on my newgrowth then tie a scarf and it really helps.

I got this from sylver2 and tweeked it for me.

http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/2008/

And like Aggie said DC, DC, DC (moisture) and some protein DCs for strength.

I AM ON WEEK 10 OF MY 12 WEEK STRETCH. I last relaxed 10/31. I will be relaxed again on 1/24. I can't wait. It's going fairly smooth so far, because I have been washing in the shower, doing bi monthly protein treatments, stepped up my moisture reggie, and I have started finger detangling! Stepping up the protein is important during a STRETCH. Because your hair is harder to detangle and requires more manipulation yuo must strengthen the hair with protein so that it does not break as easily. Also, be careful not to go overboard, or your hair will "snap" when you detangle it!

Back