Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

14 weeks post, what are you ladies using to keep your hair moisturized? It seems that after a couple of days, hair starts feeling rough. Is the answer to just do a condish wash or have you found a product that keep locks moist?

14 weeks post, what are you ladies using to keep your hair moisturized? It seems that after a couple of days, hair starts feeling rough. Is the answer to just do a condish wash or have you found a product that keep locks moist?

I'm only 8.5 weeks post but so far no problems at all with dryness thx to cwing 4 - 5x a week and wet bunning. :yep:

I just found LHCF like two weeks ago, and don't have all my products yet, so I'll be relaxing on Wednesday after 7 weeks, but after that I'll be right there with you guys! I usually only go for 6, but I'm gonna try for 10 after this next one and see what happens. My new growth ain't no joke! :nono:

I'm only 8.5 weeks post but so far no problems at all with dryness thx to cwing 4 - 5x a week and wet bunning. :yep:

yeah i usually condish was 2x a week but I don't have the time to do any more than that. maybe at night I'll start misting my hair with some sort of moisturizing concoction in lieu of condish washing more often. I also am thinking about getting an "install" -i like how y'all use that word lol- cuz I need a new look and am sick of rocking this ponytail, which is the only style that works with all this new growth...

Hi Ladies,
I have been on a "repair my hair/get it healthy kick" for a while now. I have stopped the breakage and dryness...Last year, I used to do every 6-7 weeks, and then I pushed it to 8 weeks for a while and now I am at 10 weeks/relaxer....I can hide my new growth pretty well :grin: So far, I have been rollersetting or wrapping and pinning my hair up as a protective style. I also CWC 2 times a week, but in reading the thread, I am seeing that alot of you are co-washing more often, are you doing this because you feel like your hair needs it or is it more par for the course when you are stretching? Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything?

Hi Ladies,
I have been on a "repair my hair/get it healthy kick" for a while now. I have stopped the breakage and dryness...Last year, I used to do every 6-7 weeks, and then I pushed it to 8 weeks for a while and now I am at 10 weeks/relaxer....I can hide my new growth pretty well :grin: So far, I have been rollersetting or wrapping and pinning my hair up as a protective style. I also CWC 2 times a week, but in reading the thread, I am seeing that alot of you are co-washing more often, are you doing this because you feel like your hair needs it or is it more par for the course when you are stretching? Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything?

I have the same question. This is the longest stretch I've ever been on (currently indefinite @ about 3months :ohwell:) and I want to prevent having breakage.

I also CWC 2 times a week, but in reading the thread, I am seeing that alot of you are co-washing more often, are you doing this because you feel like your hair needs it or is it more par for the course when you are stretching? Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything?

I cw 3 - 5x a week because water and conditioner moisturizes my ng like nothing else. For my first stretch I washed 1x a week and sprayed my hair to death with curl juice and it was ok, but hands down cwing almost every day makes me forget how far post I am! It smooths it down and keeps it from getting hard as a brick. It is starting to get colder and I am experimenting with cwing every OTHER day. Basically as long as I keep squirting my roots than I think it will be fine, it feels soft and sleek. So just keep trying until you get the right formula for your hair. :yep:

Butterfly,
I love your hair. How long do you stretch????
My hairdressor doesn't want me to go past 9weeks.... she said its too hard to get through when touch-up time.

Ladies
I have been stretching nine weeks and I want to go to ten but I do see a nice amount of little hairs in the sink....My hairdressor says 9 is enough.
I put my BeeMine on my edges everyoher day and moisture my ends with vitapointe. My stylist washes and conditions once a week. My question is for those last 2weeks when my NG is very kinky is it ok to have my roots blown out and flat ironed???? Is this too much heat even though its once a week. My stylist says it will be ok because she uses a ceramic flatiron and dryer and she is only doing it twice. she actually gets it soo straight I really look like I just got a perm. My hair has thickened up some from stretching but still thinner than I like. Any input????
I have some new photos of my hair I took yesterday and I will upload them later. I am letting this black rinse grow out as much as possible. :wallbash: and hopefully I can get color.....oneday:yep:

P.S. My hairdressor also says I need to think about trimming like 2inches to even my back out so my hair will look healthier. I don't have split ends but it is some uneveness from previous breakage, it is worse looking at perm time.

Ladies
I have been stretching nine weeks and I want to go to ten but...

Happy Monday ladies!! I am not even going to lie, I am at the beginning of week 9 and I am sooo ready to get this perm this weekend!!! My hair is doing just fine, I would say. I am not really combing the new growth and I am wrapping it every night and keeping it moisturized. I think I just need some encouragement :nono: because my styling options (all protective at this stage are getting kinda boring) Ideally, I was trying to make it to next week friday (the 17th) which is 10 weeks and right in time for my next event that I want to look nice for!! Help me keep to going...maybe I will feel better if I go home and co-wash tonight with a rollerset!

Happy Monday ladies!! I am not even going to lie, I am at the beginning of week 9 and I am sooo ready to get this perm this weekend!!! My hair is doing just fine, I would say. I am not really combing the new growth and I am wrapping it every night and keeping it moisturized. I think I just need some encouragement :nono: because my styling options (all protective at this stage are getting kinda boring) Ideally, I was trying to make it to next week friday (the 17th) which is 10 weeks and right in time for my next event that I want to look nice for!! Help me keep to going...maybe I will feel better if I go home and co-wash tonight with a rollerset!

Im a past shoulder and Im 13 weeks today. I put in twists 4 weeks ago. You do have options at nine weeks. Try braid outs and twist outs.. It's best to do the braid when your hair is freshly washed and add a little leave in conditioner and put perm rods in the ends to give the ends a little curl.

Im a past shoulder and Im 13 weeks today. I put in twists 4 weeks ago. You do have options at nine weeks. Try braid outs and twist outs.. It's best to do the braid when your hair is freshly washed and add a little leave in conditioner and put perm rods in the ends to give the ends a little curl.

Ok, ok, I am going to do the twist out tonight after I wash my hair. I WILL fight off the urge to get that relaxer...:wallbash:

I'm 12 weeks post today and I'm ready to give up. I'm trying to make it to 15 weeks. It's really hard to stretch and continue to exercise daily.

I think I will re-join this challenge until December 22nd, 2008. I am currently 7 weeks post and want to stretch my relaxer until then. That will take me to 18 weeks and I will need this kind of support for this stretch.

I know the feeling MsMontoute but hold on, it's only a week away, you can do it girl. Do you have any wigs you can wear to keep your hands out of your hair temporarily?

I'm currently 14 weeks and counting. I'm actually not pressed about it at all (no pun intended). I poo and DC twice a week, seal my leave-in with sabino, blow dry it on low and pony it up. I love my phony ponies, and I'm about to make myself a wig (saw some tutorials on youtube). I'm not relaxing until the end of December so pray for me.

Butterfly,
I love your hair. How long do you stretch????
My hairdressor doesn't want me to go past 9weeks.... she said its too hard to get through when touch-up time.

TY - I stretch for 3 - 3.5 months at a time (anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks). I aim to relax no more than 4 times a year and color 3 - 4 times a year. I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but cwing has helped my stretching like nothing else. It's tough though if you're used to wearing your hair straight or out. I don't like a lot of heat and the constant moisture tames my naps and I usually just bun or french roll and put on a headband or thin scarf for some decor. :yep:

Try some cute hair accessories - beaded pony tail holders or clips. Add a silky headband or scarf and bump up your makeup, earrings, etc. I know it's hard wanting to let your hair out (especially when you see other ladies swinging theirs in the wind :wallbash:), but the results will be worth it. :yep:

I'm 12 weeks post today and I'm ready to give up. I'm trying to make it to 15 weeks. It's really hard to stretch and continue to exercise daily.

Broken record time again...cowashing. :look: A few weeks ago I was in a great exercise grind, going for a run almost nightly. I'd come home drenched from my scalp to my toes. I came to look forward to rinsing my head out and applying more conditioner.

Ok, I'll shut up now about cowashing. :blush:

TY - I stretch for 3 - 3.5 months at a time (anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks). I aim to relax no more than 4 times a year and color 3 - 4 times a year.

Thank you Butterfly!!! Sometimes you just need that encouragement!! So I came home tonight, cwc'd and I am sitting with my ORS pak on right now! I think I am in a better place today, I am definitely getting over ther urge to relax..LOL I think I am going to make it to 12 weeks! Like you, I am trying to get relaxers quarterly and rinses usually 2 times a year.

Try some cute hair accessories - beaded pony tail holders or clips.

So, I am definitely going to step my heaqdband, scarf, phony ponytail game, and honestly, I always think I look cute after sleeping in pin curls!!

Broken record time again...cowashing.. :blush:
I am right there with you, I can't tell everyone enogh about how great the cowashing is..I do a conditioner pre-poo, add a little shampoo and finish off with the deep conditioner. I has made such a big difference in the moisture of my hair...as well as first applying a water based moisturizer and then following with oil sealant.

13 weeks post and I had to kick airdrying out my regimen. It just wasn't working on my my 4b, stretched hair.

However, I'm thinking about giving it one more chance ...:ohwell: ...someone told me the key to airdrying is making sure the hair is completely toweldried and you must SATURATE your hair with products to prevent breakage, frizz???????????...but I don't wanna put too much stuff in my hair:ohwell:

Any stretchers still airdry?:ohwell:

I plan to stretch until June 4.

I air dry completely. S'Curl has helped tremendously i usually apply it first then i use B&B growth moisturizing oil. Never had any breakage wen i did this, also at the time i was 22wks post.

10 weeks 1 day. :grin: So far so good. I was originally going to end in about 5 weeks, but now I am considering going all the way t'il mid-December. It would be great if I could get down to relaxing only 3x a year. Right now I relax 4x. :ohwell:

I am 8 weeks post today and have a minimum of 7 more weeks to go before I relax again. My ultimate stretch for this time around is actually 18 weeks in total but I don't know if I'll make it that long. I need to go and cornrow my hair right now actually to help with this stretch.

Last edited:
I am rather upset. I went for a relaxer on Friday and had all intentions of retaining my length. Unfortunately, my stylist gave me a trim. I didn't ask for it, and I wouldn't have. It was an extra $15 that I didn't have. So, I owe her $5. Is there something that I can do? She did mention that my hair has grown.

My next touch-up isn't til Dec 5.

I am rather upset. I went for a relaxer on Friday and had all intentions of retaining my length. Unfortunately, my stylist gave me a trim. I didn't ask for it, and I wouldn't have. It was an extra $15 that I didn't have. So, I owe her $5. Is there something that I can do? She did mention that my hair has grown.

My next touch-up isn't til Dec 5.

Either the prices should have been posted or she should have told (asked) you in advance. Does she typically trim your hair at each relaxer?

Sorry if it were me she wouldn't be seeing that $5, or my hair again. :yawn:

I think I will re-join this challenge until December 22nd, 2008. I am currently 7 weeks post and want to stretch my relaxer until then. That will take me to 18 weeks and I will need this kind of support for this stretch.

I'm going for December 22, too... but I will only be 15 weeks post then.

Either the prices should have been posted or she should have told (asked) you in advance. Does she typically trim your hair at each relaxer?

Sorry if it were me she wouldn't be seeing that $5, or my hair again. :yawn:

She has prices on her website, but I only factored in paying for my relaxer. She used to trim my hair at each relaxer, until I found LHCF 9 weeks ago. Usually she asks what we're doing to my hair. She knew that I was just doing a touchup..it was obvious. My hair length now looks like how it looked before the relaxer. I want to cry, but DH would be pissed at me.

I'm going for December 22, too... but I will only be 15 weeks post then.

15 weeks is still a long relaxer stretch. I typically stretch no longer than 12 weeks but I want to wait longer this time before I relax just to see what my hair will look like for the Christmas holidays.

the self rollersets break the crown of my hair off so no more of that unless i get the chance to get a rollerset in nyc. but i have found blowdrying with a paddle brush i'm seeing less hair on the floor from when i use the comb attachment which is fine when my hair is straight.

just take your time like the others said deep condition, since winter will be here soon it's a good time to stretch.....i mean i like my hair straight in the summer because of my frizz and poof of thick hair, but don't relax stick with it and you will see great results come summer.

my longest stretch was 8 mths or longer i had gotten my hair to my bra strap until going to a psycho hair stylist for a trim, and now i'm starting all over again.

good luck on your stretch ladies!

My last relaxer was Sep. 6th and im trying to 'till december 22 also!...lol mainly cause its the day before my 21st birthday :yep: my ng is minimal but it comes it very very coarse. but co-washing has helped alott

How's everyone doing? I'm currently 18 weeks posts I can't believe it!! I wash and condition twice a week. I only comb my hair in the shower with lots of conditioner. My hair isn't sheeding or breaking like I thought it would. I'm thinking of a steam treatment this weekend a la Samantha Jones and see what happens.

If it works as well as I think it would then I'll probably stretch till december who knows. currently I only do braidouts after washing and adding glycerin-water mixture. I still need a good leave in to tame the growth further.

I absolutely love my NG and I have a serious case of hand-in-hairitis:grin::grin:.

HHG ladies

Back