Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

It seems like I was unconciously in this grouping. I am 15 weeks post relaxer. I've had little or no breakage and shedding. I Co-Wash everyday and Deep Condition about 2x a week.
I've been using the Tresemme Moisture Co and it doesn't work as good as the Aussie Moist and NTM Daily Conditioner, or V05 Free me Fressia. I will have to put that away next to the ORS cos that leaves my hair with a weird feeling residue. I also use the S-Curl spray on the roots, Spray with water and glycerin then apply a conditioner and water mixture to my ends to keep them feeling nice.

I would like to stretch all the way to December. Although I've had little or no breaking, and just the regular amount of shedding; I would love to relax. My natural hair doesn't look good right now and it's so thin. (Eventhough the relaxer won't fix the thinness) Even when I add my the flexi rods, the hair just doesn't look right anymore.

I'm ordering a lacefront, hopefully this weekend, so I will be using that for a significant period of time during the winter and fall, however, I'm joining the Mega Tek Challenge this week and would like to be able to see my new growth apart from what I already have.

Can someone give me the 411 on the Coconut Milk to straighten out new growth please? If that actually works, then I Will do that instead and keep holding out until I get the Lace Front wig.

Oh and can I get suggestions for the best conditioning relaxer to use post stretch?

Ladies, I went to the BSS on my way home today and purchased the Etae Caramel Deep Reconstructor, but, I also bought a box of relaxer :look:
I'm so tempted to touch up.

Right now I am studying if I should just use the Caramel treatment as directed and see how my hair looks and if anything, just touch up when the need arises. It's going to be so hard to just look at that box of relaxer and not use it.

soooo haaaaarrrrdddd:nono:

Hi... I'm at 7 weeks and I can't get this mess to lay down..lol

I will keep you posted.....anything to keep away from the perm :yep:
What is scarfing the NG?:look:

Hi ladies, I have very thick kinky (but fine) hair, and I get my ng to lie down by using a long silky scarf. Basically I lightly brush my roots and squirt (ok douse :lol:) them with a water/conditioner mix. Then I T~I~G~H~T~L~Y tie the scarf around my ng (it loops around twice) and sleep with it overnight. In the morning my roots have ssss's (very small waves) and lay down flat. I even have a little baby hair going on in the front. :lol: Those little hairs form their own pattern cuz I just brush the hair straight back.

In my spray bottle I mix 2/3 VS So Sexy Nourishing conditioner and water. I prefer it to gel because my roots suck up moisture and gel is very drying and makes my hair hard. HTH

Can someone give me the 411 on the Coconut Milk to straighten out new growth please? If that actually works, then I Will do that instead and keep holding out until I get the Lace Front wig.

Oh and can I get suggestions for the best conditioning relaxer to use post stretch?

Ok, I tried the coconut milk and I just wasn't impressed. :ohwell: Some people mix with lime or yogurt, etc. I just tried the plain milk. I may try it again one more time before I relax. But it's only a dollar and some change so it's worth a try. The OP of this post LOVED IT, she is why I had to try it. :yep:

uPDATE: I used the caramel. Yes heavy handedly, so I used a bit more than half on my hair. Applied a shower cap and went to cooking and exercising. Needless to say the sweating made it run down my face and back a lil bit.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, followed by A co wash with Free Me Freesia and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

THe result: Not so sure :ohwell:
The front of my hair looks a lil more relaxed, but no stark differences. The body of my hair feels good. I am airdrying to see what my hair will feel like when that happens.

19 weeks here on the July 28th.I wash once a week and only comb on wash days. I usually stop at 18 weeks but have decided to stretch to 20 or 21 weeks. I'm still able to detangle my hair in about 20 minutes or so thanks to Garnier Melting Masque. Thought I am an experienced stretcher that masque has made all the difference in the world for me. I kissed 1 hour detangling sessions goodbye!:grin:

I've eyed this for a minute. I'm going to try this when I'm 10+ weeks.

-A

uPDATE: I used the caramel. Yes heavy handedly, so I used a bit more than half on my hair. Applied a shower cap and went to cooking and exercising. Needless to say the sweating made it run down my face and back a lil bit.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, followed by A co wash with Free Me Freesia and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

The front of my hair looks a lil more relaxed, but no stark differences. The body of my hair feels good. I am airdrying to see what my hair will feel like when that happens.

Last night I completed this step wtih a glycerin and water spray. S Curl Spray and A rose water and Oil Spray. APplied Mimosa Hair Honey and then Wild Growth Oil to my roots. Used FLexi Rods.
Let me tell you how resistant my roots are now. They will not relax and curl. They are more noticeable though, which is kinda good.
I will take some pics of my new growth.

THe consistency of my hair is really nice though. Very Soft and silky.
The new growth in the back feels and looks different from the new growth in the front and middle.

I am still waiting for Carmel to arrive. I am 8weeks now and if it helps this NG I will wait and not get touch -up next week.

Last edited:
Hi my fellow stretchers. I must confess that tonight I ended my 15 week stretch by doing a touch up. Pics are posted in my fotki. I believe I got about an inch of growth from my stretch, which is good but just not good enough.

I'm anxious to get my Mega Tek because now I will be able to chart the growth from that treatment regimen.

And so begins another stretch.

10 weeks post - 22 more weeks to go. Its going okay so far .. im working with the ng not against it ... if i have any problems im going to come back in here crying though

I'm about 7 wks post here and I'm trying to stretch as long as I can. I've been cowashing atleast 4 times a wk and dc twice a wk.I'm learning to love my new growth the more I get.. But its hard cus I want strait roots so bad!!!

Hi my fellow stretchers. I must confess that tonight I ended my 15 week stretch by doing a touch up. Pics are posted in my fotki. I believe I got about an inch of growth from my stretch, which is good but just not good enough.

I'm anxious to get my Mega Tek because now I will be able to chart the growth from that treatment regimen.

And so begins another stretch.

Great stretch! :yep:

I'm about 7 wks post here and I'm trying to stretch as long as I can. I've been cowashing atleast 4 times a wk and dc twice a wk.I'm learning to love my new growth the more I get.. But its hard cus I want strait roots so bad!!!

Yeah, it's funny how you start to like the waves and coils. :grin: I can't stop touching them. :grin: But I can't wait for 1 week of straight hair. :look: I only wear my hair straight after a touch up.

Great stretch! :yep:

Yeah, it's funny how you start to like the waves and coils. :grin: I can't stop touching them. :grin: But I can't wait for 1 week of straight hair. :look: I only wear my hair straight after a touch up.

That's so true. I can't keep my hands out of my head!! .. Kinda makes me want to transition with all these waves and spirals in my head. But usually that thought is only entertained for about 10 mins lol. I usually wear my hair straight the first month after my touch-up.
*day dreams*... Can't wait!!

BTW... Jamila75 ... Ur soo pretty!!!

I'm aiming for a six month stretch. I'm currently 13 weeks post, but my new growth just blends in with the curls. The hardest part is detangling:nono: I'm a big wash-n-go fan, its soo not working out.

That's so true. I can't keep my hands out of my head!! .. Kinda makes me want to transition with all these waves and spirals in my head. But usually that thought is only entertained for about 10 mins lol. I usually wear my hair straight the first month after my touch-up.
*day dreams*... Can't wait!!

BTW... Jamila75 ... Ur soo pretty!!!

TY! :grin:

I ended my stretch and here are some preliminary pics. I am about an inch from brastrap. I really think I will make brastrap by December now! :grin:

IMG00178.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

IMG00180.jpg

IMG00181.jpg

IMG00183.jpg

your hair is really pretty Jamilla

11 weeks post tomorrow - 21 more weeks to go ... can i do it ? we'll see

Girl you hair is beautiful!!!!!!

your hair is really pretty Jamilla

11 weeks post tomorrow - 21 more weeks to go ... can i do it ? we'll see

Thanks ladies!

Girl, you are doin' it - 21 MORE weeks! :blush: I am ashamed to admit I planned my relaxer and highlights schedule for the next 15 months. I really wanted to get down to 3 relaxers a year, but I have several events I want to look cute for. :ohwell: I need to find some more styles that will work when my ng is really thick without having to use heat.

Thanks ladies!

Girl, you are doin' it - 21 MORE weeks! :blush: I am ashamed to admit I planned my relaxer and highlights schedule for the next 15 months. I really wanted to get down to 3 relaxers a year, but I have several events I want to look cute for. :ohwell: I need to find some more styles that will work when my ng is really thick without having to use heat.

Lol yep, im trying really hard ... it would be my second and last relaxer for the year. And the one after that will be in August '09. I have two events that i know i have to look cute for, one ..im going to flatiron my hair .. because it is coming up soon and the latter one I will try a flexirod set. But im determined to only relax twice a year. It would even be better when I stop using growth aids because I can leave my hair in a ponytail for an entire week without taking it down lol

Your hair looks great Jamila. Everyone else is doing really good. I'm currently 9 weeks post. Had some trauma past two weeks, hair was really knotted and I lost a lot trying to detangle. Not pretty. So my hair looks really see through near the ends and I'm not happy about that. I might get a few inches trimmed off when I relax. Right now I'm going for 12 weeks. Last time I went 16 and it was not a good experience. I'd like to stretch more but dealing with that newgrowth is tough for me. I wish I could just leave it alone, but then I'd have to get through it come relaxer day and I don't want it to be matted, know what I mean?
But it's doing good right now. ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with EVOO is currently my best friend. Detangles amazingly, don't know why I didn't use that two weeks ago. I also moisturize with a mix of glycerin and aloe vera and use a regular conditioner as a leave in (Sunsilk). So far my hair's been soft and moisturized. If all goes well I may decide to go for longer, but for now, my relaxer is scheduled for the end of this month.

Your hair looks great Jamila. Everyone else is doing really good. I'm currently 9 weeks post. Had some trauma past two weeks, hair was really knotted and I lost a lot trying to detangle. Not pretty. So my hair looks really see through near the ends and I'm not happy about that. I might get a few inches trimmed off when I relax. Right now I'm going for 12 weeks. Last time I went 16 and it was not a good experience. I'd like to stretch more but dealing with that newgrowth is tough for me. I wish I could just leave it alone, but then I'd have to get through it come relaxer day and I don't want it to be matted, know what I mean?
But it's doing good right now. ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with EVOO is currently my best friend. Detangles amazingly, don't know why I didn't use that two weeks ago. I also moisturize with a mix of glycerin and aloe vera and use a regular conditioner as a leave in (Sunsilk). So far my hair's been soft and moisturized. If all goes well I may decide to go for longer, but for now, my relaxer is scheduled for the end of this month.

I hate to sound like the co-washing tele-evangelist but you should really try it if you're not already! :grin: All my other stretches have just been drama after week 7 :perplexed but this time cwing melted all the tangles out, I think because my hair stayed moist, the ng didn't tangle. Also standing under the shower head smoothed it out a lot. I didn't even comb, I just slicked back with my hands into a bun or french roll and tied on a scarf! :blush: And my hair is super tangly normally. I just got my hair done and I'm already planning my next cw! :lachen: Please try it!!! :grin:

Cool! Are you enjoying your newly relaxed hair, or are you bunning it up/protective styling?

I am loving my newly relaxed hair, I really just like to see my baby hair lay flat in the front. :lachen:but my wolverine hair in the back is puffy, it never stays straight for more than a day.

I've managed to roller set twice, and use my bonnet every night.
No bunning or protective styling actually, it's been a while since I could see a pony tail, and because of my flat head, I am going to need a phonybun to use. :lachen:

For the winter I will be wearing a lace wig, so that's all the protection I'd need :)

I hate to sound like the co-washing tele-evangelist but you should really try it if you're not already! :grin: All my other stretches have just been drama after week 7 :perplexed but this time cwing melted all the tangles out, I think because my hair stayed moist, the ng didn't tangle. Also standing under the shower head smoothed it out a lot. I didn't even comb, I just slicked back with my hands into a bun or french roll and tied on a scarf! :blush: And my hair is super tangly normally. I just got my hair done and I'm already planning my next cw! :lachen: Please try it!!! :grin:

Man, I'm just gonna have to try it again, the first 2 times I did it, my hair was not soft and silky at all. I think the key is to find a conditioner that agrees with my hair. So I'll try it again using another type of conditioner, last time I used Tressemme. Any suggestions?

Back