Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

wow, congrats with your stretch.....you did great sweetie

Thanks! :grin:

How are ya'll detangling your hair during the stretch? I detangle after deep conditioning on wet hair(not in sections) and after I airdry it's like there's a bunch of tangles all around my hair and i must fingercomb them all out individually..but they are always there after i airdry :(

How can i detangle well without killing my strands?? :perplexed You guys seem to stretch pretty well..and here i am encountering tangles at week 5 (but i don't relax straight..)

I'm thinking I should comb after Dc'ing and then get out of the shower and comb in sections and apply my leavein and oil in sections..and fingercomb this way every few days..
i dunno i'm so confused :wallbash:

Girl...stretching has been such a journey for me. I have learned that keeping it simple works best. Also, the first 10-12 weeks are okay, and then beyond that, I have to change up the regimen and tweak it to suit the extra new growth. But it took me a few stretches to really learn what works.

Prepooing works well. Experiment with conditioners, oils, honey, coconut milk, etc. For me, I notice if I spritz some plain water on small sections of dry hair before applying the prepoo - then the product penetrates the hair shaft a bit better - as opposed to simply coating it.

Dominican rinses after I shampoo and condition have been a great addition. I apply it in while in the shower, detangle with shower comb, rinse out about a minute later. It lays cuticle down and is great for porous hair (which has a lot to do with tangling). My favorite one is Capilo's Sole and Cinnamon, it tightens scalp and tames new growth.

Other porosity products, that are low in pH help with detangling. Recently John Frieda rinses have helped further tame my porosity. Roux PC is a reliable staple too.

Steaming is great too. New growth just melts with this technique.

Detangling in the shower, directly under the shower head, using the pressure to help me detangle with a shower comb is a great method that works for me. I do this in several sections.

Lastly, I started out with first stretching 12 weeks, then 14, then 16, and then 24. It takes practice and patience. Make notes of what works and try not to fuss with it too much. Keep reliable staples in rotation. And remember, the key is retention. So go as far as you can each time (at least 8 should be minimum). Don't sweat it too much if you have trouble.

By the way, you look cute in your siggy.

ok so i guess i should comb in sections while the shower is running huh?
should i also finger-detangle before so that i don't run into any bad matts?

Pfft i'm only going week 10 but i wanna learn how to detangle right!!

How are you Shampooing or conditioning? It sounds like you are ruffling the hair when you do. I shampoo/ co- wash going back so the hair itself is not tangled to begin with. As Shampoo u may want to try CON the green bottle. When you apply the conditioner stroke from your forehead back to your ends. Do not ruffle the hair. So that even with the conditioner in, you should be able to run your fingers thru your hair. Twist into a bun put on cap and DC. When you rinse release the bun and allow the hair to fall back with the water running trhu at that time run the shower comb thru Jilbere is the best. You will see it will be easy to detangle without having to do it in too many sections. Im almost 20 weeks and I get no tangles and I do it all in one no sections.

Last edited:
How are you Shampooing or conditioning? It sounds like you are ruffling the hair when you do. I shampoo/ co- wash going back so the hair itself is not tangled to begin with. As Shampoo u may want to try CON the green bottle. When you apply the conditioner stroke from your forehead back to your ends. Do not ruffle the hair. So that even with the conditioner in, you should be able to run your fingers thru your hair. Twist into a bun put on cap and DC. When you rinse release the bun and allow the hair to fall back with the water running trhu at that time run the shower comb thru Jilbere is the best. You will see it will be easy to detangle without having to do it in too many sections. Im almost 20 weeks and I get no tangles and I do it all in one no sections.

Well i prepoo overnight on dry hair with a cheapie conditioner mixed with honey, coconut oil, and castor oil..then rinse and shampoo with a chagrin valley shampoo bar. I guess i do ruffle up the hair a bit with the bar because it is kinda hard to get it to lather and to cleanse properly. Yea I have CON green..haven't used it in a while though..I've been trying to ration it :lachen:Ok I will try the CON i might have to still detangle in sections tho because my hair is so prone to matting :(

Girl...stretching has been such a journey for me. I have learned that keeping it simple works best. Also, the first 10-12 weeks are okay, and then beyond that, I have to change up the regimen and tweak it to suit the extra new growth. But it took me a few stretches to really learn what works.

Prepooing works well. Experiment with conditioners, oils, honey, coconut milk, etc. For me, I notice if I spritz some plain water on small sections of dry hair before applying the prepoo - then the product penetrates the hair shaft a bit better - as opposed to simply coating it.

Dominican rinses after I shampoo and condition have been a great addition. I apply it in while in the shower, detangle with shower comb, rinse out about a minute later. It lays cuticle down and is great for porous hair (which has a lot to do with tangling). My favorite one is Capilo's Sole and Cinnamon, it tightens scalp and tames new growth.

Other porosity products, that are low in pH help with detangling. Recently John Frieda rinses have helped further tame my porosity. Roux PC is a reliable staple too.

Steaming is great too. New growth just melts with this technique.

Detangling in the shower, directly under the shower head, using the pressure to help me detangle with a shower comb is a great method that works for me. I do this in several sections.

Lastly, I started out with first stretching 12 weeks, then 14, then 16, and then 24. It takes practice and patience. Make notes of what works and try not to fuss with it too much. Keep reliable staples in rotation. And remember, the key is retention. So go as far as you can each time (at least 8 should be minimum). Don't sweat it too much if you have trouble.

By the way, you look cute in your siggy.

Aww thanks to the italics!

Well i have stretched to 16 weeks, 12 weeks, 11, 10 and less..i have always encountered bad tangles tho whenever i stretch. I have never tried detangling in sections though i will definately give that a good try the next time wash day rolls around.
I remember trying JF Rinses and porosity control and nothing helped the tangles!!!! I think for me it's more in the method than in the products..thankyou so much for your help tho girl and wow you are really successful in your stretches!! I wish i could be as successful as you and minimize breakage! If i have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask :yep:

Well i prepoo overnight on dry hair with a cheapie conditioner mixed with honey, coconut oil, and castor oil..then rinse and shampoo with a chagrin valley shampoo bar. I guess i do ruffle up the hair a bit with the bar because it is kinda hard to get it to lather and to cleanse properly. Yea I have CON green..haven't used it in a while though..I've been trying to ration it :lachen:Ok I will try the CON i might have to still detangle in sections tho because my hair is so prone to matting :(

Good way to get lather with the bar is to part the hair and run the side of the bar between the parts. I use the Shikakai bar that way or else man the mess I would have. Girl you learn by trial and error. We all are learning every day.

I'm experiencing some SERIOUS shedding everytime I wash my hair. :sad: I have been stretching since March, so I know it's getting near time to relax. I'm wondering if I'm shedding so much because I still have overprocessed ends and my hair is growing in much thicker and healthier. I also maybe could use a protein treatment. I haven't done one in about a month. :perplexed Anyone else have any suggestions? Right now while I am stretching I have decided to wear half wigs that wouldn't require me to use heat on my real hair to blend. That's helping a lot with me having to keep combing and manipulating my hair. But every wash or cowash it never fails that strands of hair are coming out. :ohwell: TIA.

I'm experiencing some SERIOUS shedding everytime I wash my hair. :sad: I have been stretching since March, so I know it's getting near time to relax. I'm wondering if I'm shedding so much because I still have overprocessed ends and my hair is growing in much thicker and healthier. I also maybe could use a protein treatment. I haven't done one in about a month. :perplexed Anyone else have any suggestions? Right now while I am stretching I have decided to wear half wigs that wouldn't require me to use heat on my real hair to blend. That's helping a lot with me having to keep combing and manipulating my hair. But every wash or cowash it never fails that strands of hair are coming out. :ohwell: TIA.

Are you shedding hair with the white bulb at the end or is your hair actually breaking at the demarcation line between the relaxed and the new growth hair? There is a big difference between shedding and breakage. Shedding is a normal process that the hair goes through while breakage is abnormal so let us know.

Are you shedding hair with the white bulb at the end or is your hair actually breaking at the demarcation line between the relaxed and the new growth hair? There is a big difference between shedding and breakage. Shedding is a normal process that the hair goes through while breakage is abnormal so let us know.

I guess I was mistaken. The majority of the hair that is coming out is breakage. I don't think I have ever seen any hair with white bulbs at the end. :ohwell:

I guess I was mistaken. The majority of the hair that is coming out is breakage. I don't think I have ever seen any hair with white bulbs at the end. :ohwell:

In that case, you will have to do a mild protein treatment once a week and always follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner or the other choice is to go ahead and relax. Some people can't stretch their relaxers very long because of breakage.

Please listen to your hair and don't get caught up with just wanting to stretch too long. Your hair may not like it. In fact, it is recommended to add a week at a time to your stretches, for example, if you normally relax at 8 weeks, try to stretch to 9 weeks, relax and the next time, stretch 10 weeks and so on, okay?

Hey ladies! :wave: I just completed my second 6-month stretch. I self-relaxed with my trusty Affirm Conditioning Relaxer Creme, two days ago, some parts were a bit underprocessed, due to my paranoia. Check out my fotk, the pw is in my siggy.

I am posting because for some reason, I am feeling bla. No breakage or anything, it grew, and I retained well. So it is just me feeling bla, but not quite sure why. Maybe, I was expecting more or maybe its the flatness of freshly relaxed hair, or maybe its the layers and when I look at my hair, as it grows, the ends look thinner to me (even though they are healthy, not split).

Next week, I'll do my protein. Then after that, I think for the next few months, I am gonna scale back: airdried rollersets, braidouts, and return to the the occasional baggy (once or twice a week) for the lower layers. Am I just being a whining baby? Maybe I need a break from all the hair stuff, and go on a hair hiatus. I have heard ladies say that before, and now I get it. Just feeling bla <----couldn't find a better word to describe how I felt. :lol: Ever felt that way?

I'm just 4 weeks post now, but I'm definitely doing another 6 month stretch. It helped me to finally achieve SL. I do notice that since I'm all about keeping my protein and porosity in check, I lose very little hair (like 15 strands after a wash). Not to mention I don't have to use heat too often if at all. I've been using Roux PC Step 3 as a DC which has dramatically changed my hair.

My routine is as follows:

Wash - Elucence MB Poo
Protein - Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor
DC - Roux PC Step 3 Moisturizing Treatment
Leave-In - Redken Butter Treat & HE LTR
Serum - Fantasia IC Heat Protector or Sabino MB

That's it. Nice and simple. I found that now that my porosity is on point, I don't need that extra condition post-wash, especially since Elucence is so moisturizing.

I am SOO glad I found this thread. I'm new to the forum so first of all hello to everyone. I'm currently 13 weeks post and was trying to make it to at least 17. (originally I said 20 but I don't think that's happening :nono:) I was going to break down and relax this weekend but you ladies have inspired me. Deep conditioning twice a week and braid outs have been working well as far as shedding goes but I especially found the detangling tips helpful since that's where I tend to lose the most hair. Thanks ladies!

Im at 6week post, and Im trying to go 13 weeks. Im investing in the aloe vera gel and coconut oil cocxicaton, and continuing with my co washing and deep conditoners. The NG is comming in strong which im so happy. But I know its going to be tempted to relax. So I need the support also. I keep my hair in a bun and only comb it when I take it down to wash or co wash, while wet, wide tooth comb and its slides through so easy. I also use the cantu leave in repair cream. I think I can continue doing this and hopefully its easy to maintain, as it is now. I don't put any heat on my hair, just tie it down with a silk scarf and let it air dry. My hair is strong, so im glad for that. But im cocern with the declaration line, (sp) and I really don't want it to break off from the new growth. Any suggestions, for a first time stretcher.

Below is the basic so you all will know what im working with

What im doing so far: Wash 2x week, Nexxus Line, condition w/Nexxus Humstress

Co Wash 2x week, I rotate between, NTM conditioner and Nexxus Kerphix Protein conditioner

DC weekly

Leave in condioner: Cantu Repair leave in conditioner

Ends and hairline: ORS olive oil cream

Everyday Hair moisturizer: Cantu Daily Oil Moisturizer

Vits- Yes

Hey ladies! :wave: I just completed my second 6-month stretch. I self-relaxed with my trusty Affirm Conditioning Relaxer Creme, two days ago, some parts were a bit underprocessed, due to my paranoia. Check out my fotk, the pw is in my siggy.

I am posting because for some reason, I am feeling bla. No breakage or anything, it grew, and I retained well. So it is just me feeling bla, but not quite sure why. Maybe, I was expecting more or maybe its the flatness of freshly relaxed hair, or maybe its the layers and when I look at my hair, as it grows, the ends look thinner to me (even though they are healthy, not split).

Next week, I'll do my protein. Then after that, I think for the next few months, I am gonna scale back: airdried rollersets, braidouts, and return to the the occasional baggy (once or twice a week) for the lower layers. Am I just being a whining baby? Maybe I need a break from all the hair stuff, and go on a hair hiatus. I have heard ladies say that before, and now I get it. Just feeling bla <----couldn't find a better word to describe how I felt. :lol: Ever felt that way?

First of all, your hair is looking great to me. Second, that "bla" feeling is probably due to that freshly relaxed hair, as you indicated. I feel that way too. After a relaxer, my hair just lays flat and limp...I'm not too fond of it then. Also, direct heat for me, is a big no no! Before LHCF, I was getting my hair hot combed between long stretches and it just thinned my hair out badly. Your future ideas sound great to bring your hair back to its natural, beautiful bounce and fullness, but you didnt mention henna. Will you be trying that again soon? That may be what you need for the thickness you're craving. I'm a true believer in henna now that I tried it. Girl, this is no time for you to go on a hair hiatus! You got to keep striving to your ultimate goal of full MBL and beyond! So snap out of it! Anyway girl, I really don't see what you're complaining about! :nono: You're hair is beautiful! :amen:

Last edited:
I am SOO glad I found this thread. I'm new to the forum so first of all hello to everyone. I'm currently 13 weeks post and was trying to make it to at least 17. (originally I said 20 but I don't think that's happening :nono:) I was going to break down and relax this weekend but you ladies have inspired me. Deep conditioning twice a week and braid outs have been working well as far as shedding goes but I especially found the detangling tips helpful since that's where I tend to lose the most hair. Thanks ladies!

Congrats on your first post here Sepia_Rose and welcome to lhcf. Good luck on your hair growth endeavours, ask questions when you need answers coz that's what we are all here for. May I make a suggestion? You could try joining the Deep Conditioning Challenge seeing that you DC often anyway. It helps you to stay commited to the group, but most importantly to yourself. Here's the link should you decide to join http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=227159.

HHG (Happy Hair Growing)

:wave: Hey, SephiaRose, this is your first post! That's great! Sounds like you are getting a handle on the stretch. Let us know when you relax. Keep the demarcation line strong and you should be fine. HHG.

Im at 6week post, and Im trying to go 13 weeks. Im investing in the aloe vera gel and coconut oil cocxicaton, and continuing with my co washing and deep conditoners. The NG is comming in strong which im so happy. But I know its going to be tempted to relax. So I need the support also. I keep my hair in a bun and only comb it when I take it down to wash or co wash, while wet, wide tooth comb and its slides through so easy. I also use the cantu leave in repair cream. I think I can continue doing this and hopefully its easy to maintain, as it is now. I don't put any heat on my hair, just tie it down with a silk scarf and let it air dry. My hair is strong, so im glad for that. But im cocern with the declaration line, (sp) and I really don't want it to break off from the new growth. Any suggestions, for a first time stretcher.

Below is the basic so you all will know what im working with

What im doing so far: Wash 2x week, Nexxus Line, condition w/Nexxus Humstress

Co Wash 2x week, I rotate between, NTM conditioner and Nexxus Kerphix Protein conditioner

DC weekly

Leave in condioner: Cantu Repair leave in conditioner

Ends and hairline: ORS olive oil cream

Everyday Hair moisturizer: Cantu Daily Oil Moisturizer

Vits- Yes

The demarcation line stays strong with protein. So keep incorporating some protein treatments in there, I see you use Keraphix, so you should be fine. If you have hair like mine, your hair can get into protein overload pretty quickly, so keep an eye on the moisture/protein balance, not too mushy, but not brittle, just the right amount of elasticity.

Sounds like your routine is on point. Good luck.

First of all, your hair is looking great to me. Second, that "bla" feeling is probably due to that freshly relaxed hair, as you indicated. I feel that way too. After a relaxer, my hair just lays flat and limp...I'm not too fond of it then. Also, direct heat for me, is a big no no! Before LHCF, I was getting my hair hot combed between long stretches and it just thinned my hair out badly. Your future ideas sound great to bring your hair back to its natural, beautiful bounce and fullness, but you didnt mention henna. Will you be trying that again soon? That may be what you need for the thickness you're craving. I'm a true believer in henna now that I tried it. Girl, this is no time for you to go on a hair hiatus! You got to keep striving to your ultimate goal of full MBL and beyond! So snap out of it! Anyway girl, I really don't see what you're complaining about! :nono: You're hair is beautiful! :amen:

Good looking out for us miami74. These are good encouraging words and I couldn't agree more about the henna. I have a henna treatment on my hair right now. I'll wash it in about an hour and a half from now. Like LadyEsquire, I was feeling the same way and wanted to cut it like daephae's hair but I got over it quickly because again to the rescue came one of my lhcf sistas and discouraged me from cutting it. I love you ladies for caring so much and thanks again honey.

Miami! You are my girl. Always showing me mad love! :bighug:

It could be the flat fresh relaxer...I think that is what it is too. Plus the sharp V-shape that my hair is doing, is making my ends look thin. So I may start the trimming process...maybe with the next relaxer. You are right about henna. I may try it in another month or so. My ultimate goal is a full U shape that spans across from shoulder to shoulder. I do not think my trillion layers will ever grow to blunt. But a nice heavy U , MBL <---- that is my goal.

So, yeah, my behind needs to snap out of it like you said. Yes ma'am! :lol: Or it could be the fact that I'm 9 mths pregs and just bla in general. :rofl:

I've been lurking on this thread even when I was natural. I have a few questions. I know I have to do protein once a week to keep the demarc line strong but what do I do about porosity levels? My hair has issues with it. I need more product etc. Any suggestions on how to handle it. My second question is how often do you moisturize the new growth if you are not co-washing often? TIA

The demarcation line stays strong with protein. So keep incorporating some protein treatments in there, I see you use Keraphix, so you should be fine. If you have hair like mine, your hair can get into protein overload pretty quickly, so keep an eye on the moisture/protein balance, not too mushy, but not brittle, just the right amount of elasticity.

Sounds like your routine is on point. Good luck.

Thank you, for the advice, you hair is beautiful. Maybe one day, I can go 6 months too. I learning alot from this site.

I agree with the above. Co-washing every other day really softens the new growth and has allowed me to stretch for 4 months. And the phony ponies really do reduce manipulation.

GogoChick, do you put the hair band around your pony tail while your hair is still wet, or do you wait for hair to dry before making your ponytail?

I've been lurking on this thread even when I was natural. I have a few questions. I know I have to do protein once a week to keep the demarc line strong but what do I do about porosity levels? My hair has issues with it. I need more product etc. Any suggestions on how to handle it. My second question is how often do you moisturize the new growth if you are not co-washing often? TIA

Read these articles written by SistaSlick:
Hair Porosity: Help for Dry, Damaged Hair (Part 1)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

Hair Porosity: Help for Dry, Damaged Hair (Part 2)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

I am not quite sure what issues you are having, breakage or dryness or tangling???? But maybe after reading those two articles, you can make a better assessment of your hair's situation.

A lot of ladies, moisturize daily, some do it twice a day (morning and night). Other moisturize every other day. Also, different seasons warrant different amounts of moisture. I suggest you pay close attention and track it, and eventually you'll figure out how often makes sense for your hair.

You say you need more product? What type? If you use too much, be sure to clarify to get rid of build-up too.

hmm i know I said i would never do another 6 months stretch again ... but Im considering stretching til December (8 months) . I guess I will see if i can make it past August, if so I definitely have to stretch til December...*just my lil rant that's all*

Last edited:
Does anyone else have problems with clarifying and tangling after stretching for at least 10 - 12 weeks? Once I get to at least 10 weeks and I have a lot of new growth, if I dare clarify my hair, it tangles really bad and I usually spend a few days getting rid of the tangles. And I always end up losing a lot of hair. Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem?

Does anyone else have problems with clarifying and tangling after stretching for at least 10 - 12 weeks? Once I get to at least 10 weeks and I have a lot of new growth, if I dare clarify my hair, it tangles really bad and I usually spend a few days getting rid of the tangles. And I always end up losing a lot of hair. Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem?

So that's what did it! I'm 11 weeks post right now. My hair generally doesn't tangle but a few days ago I clarified and conditioned my hair as usual. OMG :eek: my hair locked up on me! I couldn't detangle it to save my life. I washed with CON and deep conditioned and my hair is doing much better today. No more tangles. :grin:

So that's what did it! I'm 11 weeks post right now. My hair generally doesn't tangle but a few days ago I clarified and conditioned my hair as usual. OMG :eek: my hair locked up on me! I couldn't detangle it to save my life. I washed with CON and deep conditioned and my hair is doing much better today. No more tangles. :grin:

Probably. It only happened to me once I started stretching and when I have a lot of new growth.

I do not comb every day, maybe twice a week. Prior to washing and I've gone beyond 10 weeks, I lightly comb to make sure I don't have any tangles prior to washing.

I cold rinse which helps me with tangles when I washed. Also, I keep my hair going all in one direction and aways wash in the shower. I also do not manipulate my hair a lot when I wash.

After wash and con I use a little therappe on sopping wet hair so that I can get the comb through at least the upper layers:lachen: if I have enough patience, I get get to my scalp but takes time and patience. After that, I moisterize put some oil on, bun it, and call it a day. Thats on a non dc day.

DC days I do my dc, wrap a hot towel around my head, wrap a couple of bags from stop n shop around that, wrap a a big dry towel around that and sit for 30 mins. That makes my hair so soft and managable and combing is a breeze. (though all that **** on my head makes me feel like I'm about to fall over:lachen:)

-A

First try clarifying in sections, part your hair in 4 or more sections, lightly braided, use a clip. Take your time with each one. And braid it back up when done, then move on to the next section. Do not use too much shampoo. And be sure to use a moisturizing shampoo afterwards.

I know a lot of people think that prepooing is futile before clarifying, but not if you are doing it for a softening effect. If you have bushy or dry NG, then you may want to treat it to soften it before clarifying:
  • use oil, condish, or both to prepoo. (with or without heat),
  • OR apply a light coating concentrating on NG overnight,
  • OR do a steam prepoo treatment, (basically anything to soften the NG)
  • and then try clarifying.
Also, when clarifying and shampooing, there is no need to scrunch up and scrub. You just need to use the tips of your fingers, and lightly massage the scalp. Stroke the hair down. The smaller the sections, the easier it will be. Detangle directly under the shower head.

Back