Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Noooo, don't do it Closer1:grin:, not yet anyway. Hold out a little longer honey especially if you are having some success with your stretch, okay?

Im going to try to make it till May with the twists and relax in June. Thanks for the support Aggie.

I'm 8 weeks post and going 12 weeks and so far its not bad. My hair get very dry during my stretch so I'm going to keep it really moisturized. The only problem that I have is when I touch-up, my hair often times is underprocessed and I hate that :nono:, but I'll try to do better this time.

My take on this is: You often relax your hair every 6 - 8 weeks or so and you are accustomed to relaxing the length of the new growth based on these number of weeks and your hair grows about 1/2" a month Now lets say you then decide to stretch longer than usual, this simply means that you are going to have more inches to relax when you stretch longer.

I find that because we are so accustomed to relaxing only 1/2' inch of new growth, that we often to neglect to take into consideration the extra length of growth after a longer stretch when we finally do relax. Does that make sense? I know for sure I will have to put the relaxer on at least 2 inches of new growth when I relax again and not the usual 1/2 and inch.

That urge gets so strong when you're close to your goal. I have exactly two more weeks! and that will be a smooth 16 weeks total and Im so happy/proud. :drunk: So eager.

My question is why does the hair get so dry and tangly during a stretch? I would think that since your hair is straight as it has already been relaxed, we should only be experiencing problems with our roots and not the length…what am I missing? Anyway, any new products people have had success with for moisture retention?

It could be because you're cuticles are not lying flat. They may be opened up. I often do my final rinse during wash days with cool water to seal up the cuticles. I would also only wash my hair withcool to very luke warm water and then use hot water just before I apply my conditioner to open up the cuticles to take in the moisture from the conditioner.

Moisturizing is important when stretching too because when you have new growth, your hair's natural oils cannot travel all the way to the ends because of all of the twists and turns of the new growth area. The scalp's natural oils take forever to get up the hair shaft so it's best to give the hair a little help via moisturizing and sealing it in with an oil.

When I'm stretching my relaxer, baggying helps to lock in moisture longer and I would do this at night before bed. So all night my hair is being nourished with a lot of needed moisturizing while I sleep.

Many people use a good water-based moisturizer, for example, Kids Organic shea leave-in moisturizer, Mane & Tail olive and carrot oil in the jar, and of course BB moisturizing lotion (contains no mineral oil). These are just a few examples.

That urge gets so strong when you're close to your goal. I have exactly two more weeks! and that will be a smooth 16 weeks total and Im so happy/proud. :drunk: So eager.

Congratulations Christa438 on your 4 month stretch because I am there too. I was exactly 17 weeks post relaxer yesterday, yay!!!

Checkin in at 11 weeks post. This is my 3rd stretch. Goal is 14 weeks but I'm trying to do even better and go for 16 weeks (4 months).

It's hard. I rollerset but the roots are sooo hard to tame, even after i flat iron them.

People have already started asking if i am wearing a wig or got a weave because my hair is SOO thick and it actually elevates off my head a little bit because of all the NG.

I can't really comb it, it keeps getting stuck. I just kind of let it do its thing.

Never moisturized and did so many DC's and protein treatments in my life....

I'm 11 weeks post now. Going for 14 weeks. I'm keeping up with moisturizing and sealing twice a day. I also DC twice a week. I alternate each wash with either a mild/moderate protein treatment and a moisture treatment. Since doing this, I don't have as much breakage as before. I only comb my hair wash days because the NG is so thick that I'm afraid to comb it when it's dry. Tangling is my latest issue the longer I go in my stretch. It gets frustrating at times, but I'm hanging in there.

Hey stretchers...! :wave:
Ok, I have been trying really hard to keep my wallet light, and I have been extremely well-behaved. :grin: I am on my 18th week, shooting for 24 weeks (6mths).

Have any of you used Curlformers as a stretching aid?

I'm 11 weeks post now. Going for 14 weeks. I'm keeping up with moisturizing and sealing twice a day. I also DC twice a week. I alternate each wash with either a mild/moderate protein treatment and a moisture treatment. Since doing this, I don't have as much breakage as before. I only comb my hair wash days because the NG is so thick that I'm afraid to comb it when it's dry. Tangling is my latest issue the longer I go in my stretch. It gets frustrating at times, but I'm hanging in there.

Hi miami74, have you tried french perm stabilizer plus yet? There is a thread here on it's amazing ability to detangle hair. I believe Sally's carry it over there. I bought it since I put my hair up in braids so I haven't tried it yet but I will though when I take these braids down. Do a serch for it, you might find it under stabilizer plus, okay?

Ladies, It's been fun! I've joined the transitioners support thread now...lol, right after I relaxed at 17 weeks! Im just tired of self laxing for now. and no stylist is ever going to touch me with another chemical since not many know the meaning of extra-sensitive scalp or the meaning of trim. I even gave the creamy temptation and neutrlzg poo away so I wont change my mind a few months down the road... {notice I didnt mention giving away the conditioner, I kept that...that Motions moisture plus...it does have wonderful slip.}

Good Luck to everybody stretching :yawn:

btw Congrats on your progress Aggie!

Last edited:
Ladies, It's been fun! I've joined the transitioners support thread now...lol, right after I relaxed at 17 weeks! Im just tired of self laxing for now. and no stylist is ever going to touch me with another chemical since not many know the meaning of extra-sensitive scalp or the meaning of trim. I even gave the creamy temptation and neutrlzg poo away so I wont change my mind a few months down the road... {notice I didnt mention giving away the conditioner, I kept that...that Motions moisture plus...it does have wonderful slip.}

Good Luck to everybody stretching :yawn:

btw Congrats on your progress Aggie!

Thanks honey and good luck with your transition to natural hair.

Hi miami74, have you tried french perm stabilizer plus yet? There is a thread here on it's amazing ability to detangle hair. I believe Sally's carry it over there. I bought it since I put my hair up in braids so I haven't tried it yet but I will though when I take these braids down. Do a serch for it, you might find it under stabilizer plus, okay?

Thanks so much! You're the best!

OK...

Since introduced to the joys of ghetto steam treatments (thanks Samantha :blowkiss:). I am trying to stretch again. I'm four weeks post and I am shooting for 12. I am also using BT which is working wonders on my temple areas (this is why I am trying to stretch--I want to give that new hair time to really take root before I put chemicals there).

Wish me luck!!!!

Exciting! :yep: How many inches of NG do you think you have?

sadly not much ... my hair grows when it feels like (maybe 1/4 " or less per month) I do not think my hair grew for the entire month of april anyways last time i checked (in April) i had about 2 inches exact :nono:

sadly not much ... my hair grows when it feels like (maybe 1/4 " or less per month) I do not think my hair grew for the entire month of april anyways last time i checked (in April) i had about 2 inches exact :nono:

Well, wait and see after you relax. Who knows, maybe you measured wrong and it could be longer! :grin:

LADIES!!!! :woot: I just ordered my relaxer!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay:

Not much of an announcement, I know, I know....but this is my second 6-month stretch. This is week 22 and I cannot wait to relax! My hair alerts me when it is officially SUMMER, roots puffy and swole like this ----> :hair: I learned a lot during this stretch, no drama or setbacks.......but it is TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to share. :crossfingers:

LADIES!!!! :woot: I just ordered my relaxer!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay:

Not much of an announcement, I know, I know....but this is my second 6-month stretch. This is week 22 and I cannot wait to relax! My hair alerts me when it is officially SUMMER, roots puffy and swole like this ----> :hair: I learned a lot during this stretch, no drama or setbacks.......but it is TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to share. :crossfingers:

wow, congrats with your stretch.....you did great sweetie

Girl, as long as you are getting growth, AND retaining....you are doing fine. Not all of us have the super spurts I read about from some of the ladies. Nice and steady is okay with me. Do not be down on yourself. It is a journey not a marathon, mamita!!!!! :hug2:

My last stretch lasted for 20 wks. I am currently at 14wks post. I am not sure how long I will last this time. :ohwell: Co-washing daily is really making my new growth easier to manage. :yep:

Wow you ladies are a true inspiring. I have been doing 8 week stretches. Now that I am trying to become a DIY'er I am going to see if I can stretch to 10-12 weeks. I certainlylwant to stretch the entire 9 months if I ever become pregnant. I bought myself a wider toothed comb for my rollersets so I'm gonna try that out later on tonight :grin:

Tomorrow will be 14 weeks since my last touch up. I'm going for 20 weeks which will be in time for the LHCF convention. So far so good. Daily co-washing, using my HE Hello Hydration as a leave in, slathering coconut oil on my hair each day has helped give my hair 24/7 moisture. This has been smooth sailing!:drunk:

im currently at 19 weeks.Thursday ill be 20 weeks. I have been making it thru with the help of daily co washes and bunning. Im really liking this co wash thing. A little Salerm 21 B5 and I use a soft brush to lay down my edges and a little aloe vera gel. Im going to see if I can make it to July.

How are ya'll detangling your hair during the stretch? I detangle after deep conditioning on wet hair(not in sections) and after I airdry it's like there's a bunch of tangles all around my hair and i must fingercomb them all out individually..but they are always there after i airdry :(

How can i detangle well without killing my strands?? :perplexed You guys seem to stretch pretty well..and here i am encountering tangles at week 5 (but i don't relax straight..)

I'm thinking I should comb after Dc'ing and then get out of the shower and comb in sections and apply my leavein and oil in sections..and fingercomb this way every few days..
i dunno i'm so confused :wallbash:

How are ya'll detangling your hair during the stretch? I detangle after deep conditioning on wet hair(not in sections) and after I airdry it's like there's a bunch of tangles all around my hair and i must fingercomb them all out individually..but they are always there after i airdry :(

How can i detangle well without killing my strands?? :perplexed You guys seem to stretch pretty well..and here i am encountering tangles at week 5 (but i don't relax straight..)

I'm thinking I should comb after Dc'ing and then get out of the shower and comb in sections and apply my leavein and oil in sections..and fingercomb this way every few days..
i dunno i'm so confused :wallbash:

Its best right when the shower is running on the hair with the conditioner in it. I use HE long term relationship. That stuff five slip like no other. Some days I lose no hair at all.

Its best right when the shower is running on the hair with the conditioner in it. I use HE long term relationship. That stuff five slip like no other. Some days I lose no hair at all.

ok so i guess i should comb in sections while the shower is running huh?
should i also finger-detangle before so that i don't run into any bad matts?

Pfft i'm only going week 10 but i wanna learn how to detangle right!!

Back