Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Okay so...I'm in the Bun Challenge, No Heat Challenge, and APL 2008 Challenge. :spinning: Looks like I'll be stretching for six months (April). Wish me luck everyone! I think I may put in some braids in between that time. I'm nervous!:look:

I cant believe how long this post is:grin: I am currently 13 wks and will be relaxing next weekend. I will no longer stretch more than 4mos. I did a lot more bad then good going almost 6mos last time. So Im all about babying my hair relaxing when I feel it needs it. Im praying for brastrap by next June....but it seems so far away.

I am 18 weeks post and I am wearing a twist out.I need some support for real cause I am trying to make it til Feb. 08

Hey ladies....I haven't relaxed since the end of February....but I am really thinking about giving up the fight.:perplexed

Maybe I need to throw in some more cornrows and see how I feel in 2 weeks.:look:

I am going for a 12 week stretch. This is really unchartered territory for me because I usually relax every six weeks. That wasn't working for my thin hair. Ya'll pray for me because this could get ugly.

I just relaxed yesterday with Elasta QP. It came out well, but now feels funky, looks nice but I let it air dry and it is kinda stiff. I am not sure what to do for it. My last relaxer was the first week of July. I made it 19 weeks and the only reason I relaxed now is because I am going to my college reunion and wanted something fresh.

Is it ok if I wash it tomorrow and deep condition it? I remember back in the day the stylist would tell me to wait to weeks to make sure the relaxer "set", but now all the things I learned during my early years don't seem to be true.

I think tonight I will baggy and seal with coconut oil. My hair usually is soft after the next day.

Im now 22 weeks. OMG. I never thought I would make it that far. Im stretching until the second week of December. No one has seen my hair out in months. But I will keep them waiting. :grin: I want that Swang and Im working hard to get it.

I thought I would be out for the count, but I gave my roots a little milk bath the other night and flat ironed. Looks like a fresh relaxer!:grin: I am soooooo feeling the milk treatments!!!!!:drunk:

I thought I would be out for the count, but I gave my roots a little milk bath the other night and flat ironed. Looks like a fresh relaxer!:grin: I am soooooo feeling the milk treatments!!!!!:drunk:

Tell us about the milk treatment. I am flat ironing my hair next week for a wedding. ;)

I always forget about this thread since my 40 week stretch thinned out my fine hair I figured it is better stretch for a shorter period.
My last corrective relaxer was around September 4th, so I will again in February depending on my new growth, I should just wait until May...

Tell us about the milk treatment. I am flat ironing my hair next week for a wedding. ;)

Well, there are many recipes for "natural relaxers" floating around here on the board. I normally use "Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk", but since I am in Baghdad right now, I can't exactly go to the corner store and get it:grin:.

Basically, I got some boxed milk and poured it over my unwashed hair. I put a conditioning cap over it while I took a nice long shower. After that, I washed out with CON (Green Label) because milk has a lot of protein and my hair tends to be stiff if I don't use a moisturizing poo. I usually wash twice with the CON. After that, I might DC....or I might not:spinning:. I style as usual.

My curls tend to be looser and I can work with my NG soooooo much better. My hair is softer also. You usually see more of an effect after doing the treatment a 2nd or 3rd time. The good thing about it is that you don't have to wait between treatments. I plan to do another one the next time I wash.

This will be my first 4 month stretch completed DEC 25th. I will probably apply the relaxer on the 23rd though. I also CW daily. MY FAVE has become HERBAL ESSENCES REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. I noticed months ago that I will restock it before I restock on strawberries-n-cream which I loved in the beginning. I noticed that I ran into the problem of tangles in the middle of the third month. At that time I had to make sure to detangle with a detangling brush/comb followed by a comb with finer teeth to keep the small tangles and knots away. My hair also needed to be dripping wet with conditioner and water for more slip. Im excited about continuing this journey!

I'm in kinky twist for the few days. Then I'll wait a week and texturize again with Phyto II. :yep: That'll be 17 weeks post.

MAN!!!! I have been stretching since February. For some reason I keep pushing off D-day. I planned for 4 months, then 6 months, then 8 months.

Now here we are in December!!! This time I planned for the end of the year since I am hiding 'til Christmas. Now I wanna wait and just make it a full year! :wallbash:

What on earth is WRONG with me?!?!? I find that I love playing with my curlies and feeling the waves when I pull it back in a bun. PLUS, I find that when I flat iron, I can get the NG as straight as the relaxed hair. I can't tell where one ends and the other begins.

Could I be unintentionally transitioning???? :rolleyes:

That wasn't the plan, but I don't know WHAT on earth I am doing right now. Help me baby Jesus!!!!
:drunk:

MAN!!!! I have been stretching since February. For some reason I keep pushing off D-day. I planned for 4 months, then 6 months, then 8 months.

Now here we are in December!!! This time I planned for the end of the year since I am hiding 'til Christmas. Now I wanna wait and just make it a full year! :wallbash:

What on earth is WRONG with me?!?!? I find that I love playing with my curlies and feeling the waves when I pull it back in a bun. PLUS, I find that when I flat iron, I can get the NG as straight as the relaxed hair. I can't tell where one ends and the other begins.

That wasn't the plan, but I don't know WHAT on earth I am doing right now. Help me baby Jesus!!!!
:drunk:

You sound like me. Im at 26 weeks. I cannot bring myself to relax. I took down my twists to relax in November. I put them right back in. I love all my new growh.

I agree. I'm currently on a 6 month stretch as well and it's very important to keep that demarcation line strong. I skipped a week of protein treatment out of pure laziness and my hair was breaking like crazy.

I'm 22 weeks post now, and I sooo have the urge to relax:D. But I know my hair will thank me in the end.

What do you use for your weekly protein. I use ORS hair mayo but im only 13 weeeks post right now so I was wondering as time goes on will I need to bump it up to aphogee or something stronger. TIA

It'll be 4 months for me next week, I have had braids for the last 5 weeks and will be taking them out next week. I can't wait to see my progress!

I think after I take my braids out I will do a protein & moisturising treatment, use my Mizani Thermasmooth to get my roots straight, give me hair a rest for a week or two and then braid it up again until Feb or maybe a little longer depending on the weather.

I never in my life thought I'd be able to do a 6 month stretch!

This sounds like me, my intention was for 17wks/4 months, am currently 18wks and going for 30wks/7months in time for easter.
who knows may be 44wks/10month in time for my birthday, i just cant make up my mind.
anyway,will do kinky twist when am 20wks just to give me a break, hopefully will keep it in for 8wks.

This sounds like me, my intention was for 17wks/4 months, am currently 18wks and going for 30wks/7months in time for easter.
who knows may be 44wks/10month in time for my birthday, i just cant make up my mind.
anyway,will do kinky twist when am 20wks just to give me a break, hopefully will keep it in for 8wks.

I know how you feel. I'm in braids, and sometimes I get tired of them, but I can't imagine reaching for a relaxer anytime soon. I've been stretching since the 1st week of June. I was taking some out to check length - looks like I've gone from about chin to APL so far. I started C&G in Sept and I want to keep it going till April...I think I can make BSL, but I still haven't decided when/if I'll relax and even then how straight to go. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel. I'm in braids, and sometimes I get tired of them, but I can't imagine reaching for a relaxer anytime soon. I've been stretching since the 1st week of June. I was taking some out to check length - looks like I've gone from about chin to APL so far. I started C&G in Sept and I want to keep it going till April...I think I can make BSL, but I still haven't decided when/if I'll relax and even then how straight to go. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I feel you!!! The thing is that now I am actually feeling my real texture. I don't think I have EVER felt it before. Even when I was a kid, my mom always pressed my natural hair. I love the way it feels. The only thing that is killin' me is my edges. The texture around the edges is a lot more tightly curled than the middle of my head.

I have been thinking about texlaxing it. I love having the texture and I don't want to completely lose it. I am just afraid of doing it and relaxing too straight. :rolleyes:

I've been stretching since September 2007, I tried this before and stretched for 9 months but during that time I was pressing my hair. HUGE MISTAKE. Hair was shedding all over the place. Then when I finally relaxed with PCJ it looked HORRIBLE. NOW I am following a new hair care regimen...no heat, baggy, moisturize etc. Now if I could just figure out what and MTG an my hair type is , I will be all good. I am truly trying to hold out til April 2008 and switch from PCJ (no-lye) to Mizani or Affirm. Decisions, decisions:wallbash:

http://public.fotki.com/Blckbttrfly/

Yeah, I feel you!!! The thing is that now I am actually feeling my real texture. I don't think I have EVER felt it before. Even when I was a kid, my mom always pressed my natural hair. I love the way it feels. The only thing that is killin' me is my edges. The texture around the edges is a lot more tightly curled than the middle of my head.

I have been thinking about texlaxing it. I love having the texture and I don't want to completely lose it. I am just afraid of doing it and relaxing too straight. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at texlaxing too :yep:. I've been seeing so many more naturals around and I know that if I could loosen my texture a bit to make it more managable or cut down the bulk it would be bangin! However, the idea of battling the fro every morning or spending the rest of my life in protective styles is a bit daunting....I would love to be able to wear it curly -- like Rachel True and still rock a good looking puff, AND be able to straighten it out to change it up every once in a while. I just worry about getting consistant results.

I so feel you ladies. Im 28 weeks post. I feel like stretching for longer. Im still in twists. Sometimes I take out a twist and play with my New growth and twist it back up.. LOL Im also looking into textlaxing.

I'VE NOTICED THAT CON W/THE GREEN LABEL IS GREAT FOR WHEN STRETCHING, MY HAIR TANGLES LIKE CRAZY WHEN I'M STRETCHING AND THAT POO REALLY HELPS.

This second stretch is starting to kick my a$$. Before LHCF i would relax at 6-8 weeks. The last time i went 10 weeks. Right now I am at 9 weeks and i got my hair in a ponytail. I was trying to get to 12 weeks. Which i think will be January 23rd.

Yall tell me how can i fit the bob cut you see in my siggy in a pony-tail??:rolleyes: It's a low pony tail and looks somewhat decent but I can barely leave my hair out cause it looks like a i got a wig on or my hair is a helmet.

New growth is soft but its just so poofy and won't lay down much after the scarf method.

I think i might just go the next 3 weeks in this tight little ponytail because there is no manipulation. Just comb it back and secure.

I don't see how yall ladies with 4a/b hair do it. Yall need medals.:clapping:

I'VE NOTICED THAT CON W/THE GREEN LABEL IS GREAT FOR WHEN STRETCHING, MY HAIR TANGLES LIKE CRAZY WHEN I'M STRETCHING AND THAT POO REALLY HELPS.

Also Try Capilo Avocado Conditioner. Man last week combing thru 30 weeks of NG was a breeze in the shower. Im still in shock.

I'm 10 weeks post and trying to go 12, the roots are beginning to dred :sad:. I keep hair moisturized and ends baggied. What I am most concerned about is when I relaxed before at 12 weeks my hair was very underprocessed :nono: and had to do a corrective.. I'm trying to figure out how to stretch relaxers without getting underprocessed??

I'm 19 weeks post relaxer. This time around I'm going to stretch by wearing braids. Last time I wore phony ponies, wigs, and headwraps. Those protective styles wore my hairline out.

The products I like using while stretching are:

Pantene R&N Moisturizing Conditioner and Shampoo
Queen Helene Cholestrol Conditioning Creme
Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme
UBH Moisturizing Creme
UBH Conditioner

Back