Relaxed Ladies-when do you comb your hair?

keylargo

Do you prefer to comb your hair when it's wet or dry? Which is better for healthy hair? I'm 4a/b but I'm not sure which is better for me. I think my hair is weaker when wet but when airdried, it's just as fragil. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.
frown.gif

I only use a comb in my hair when I want to make a part, I mostly gently brush it when it's wet or dry & I don't see any damage

when wet i use a jilbere shower comb (conditioning prevents tangling so the comb just glides thru).
when dry i use a jilbere w i d e tooth comb.
i comb my hair daily.

[ QUOTE ]
BLESSED1 said:
I only use a comb in my hair when I want to make a part, I mostly gently brush it when it's wet or dry & I don't see any damage

[/ QUOTE ]

Blessed, what's your daily hairstyle?

I comb my hair when it is wet and dry. Since finding this forum, I'm going to start combing LESS when my hair is DRY because excessive combing can cause breakage, split ends, and does not help in retaining length.I used to comb my hair with a regular comb, but now I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when it is wet and dry. I sometimes use a fine tooth rattail comb for parting and smoothing (I comb slowly).

I have just started wearing my hair in a protective style (two french-like braids) since I have a lot of new growth and it helps me stretch my time to relax. I do rollersets after my hair has been relaxed or when I dont have as much new growth.

I wonder if the comb I'm using is wide enough. The link below is what my comb looks like. Ladies, what do you think?

Ponytail, I'm the phonytail queen in my neighborhood
grin.gif

But I'm sporting a weave right now in which only my edges and nape hair are left out but the rest of my hair in cornrowed and covered.

Im in the same boat! I lose hair either way but it seems more fragile when wet(I see hair in the shower drain when I wash and Ive even clogged it up over time!). Thats why Im not sure if more frequent washing and CO washing is suitible for hair like this. Any thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Im in the same boat! I lose hair either way but it seems more fragile when wet(I see hair in the shower drain when I wash and Ive even clogged it up over time!). Thats why Im not sure if more frequent washing and CO washing is suitible for hair like this. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I've been doing daily conditioner washes for a long time and I love to comb my conditioner through. I also comb my hair after applying a leave-in conditioner. Then, I air-dry in a ponytail. I'm getting more breakage then I'm comfortabe with.

One thing that has helped slow the breakage is me cutting back on protein conditioners. I think I use too much protein so, I'm focusing on moisturizing conditioners. Now, I'm wondering if the daily CO washes are worth it..
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I comb my hair when it is wet and dry. Since finding this forum, I'm going to start combing LESS when my hair is DRY because excessive combing can cause breakage, split ends, and does not help in retaining length.I used to comb my hair with a regular comb, but now I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when it is wet and dry. I sometimes use a fine tooth rattail comb for parting and smoothing (I comb slowly).

I have just started wearing my hair in a protective style (two french-like braids) since I have a lot of new growth and it helps me stretch my time to relax. I do rollersets after my hair has been relaxed or when I dont have as much new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestions Pooh. Maybe I'll try the two braids. I'm been doing the bun/ponytail for a long time now and it hasn't helped me much. I had a lot of breakage in my nape area.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
I wonder if the comb I'm using is wide enough. The link below is what my comb looks like. Ladies, what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

My comb is much wider than the comb in that link. It's somewhat of a bone material. I wish I could post a picture of it on here.

keylargo... my comb is wider than that as well. i believe hairlove posted a picture of a bone comb with xtra W I D EEEEE teeth - never saw anything like it - and how is that helping u now u ask since i didn't keep the link
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
sorry, just hoping she'd chime in and see this
grin.gif

I'm 4a/b also. I comb my hair when dry but well moisturized ,with a wide-tooth comb. I never comb when just shampooed and I had to make this change because I used to when natural. My hair is just too fragile when wet.

I comb through the ends every day. I come from thr ends up about ever three days.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
keylargo... my comb is wider than that as well. i believe hairlove posted a picture of a bone comb with xtra W I D EEEEE teeth - never saw anything like it - and how is that helping u now u ask since i didn't keep the link
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
sorry, just hoping she'd chime in and see this
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But my hair is only chin length. I don't know if a larger comb will work. Do you think that the length of hair matters when it comes to comb size?

I'm feeling really whiney and "hair-length depressed" today ladies.
cry3.gif

I have 4a/b hair and only comb my hair while it's wet every so often. There have been a few times when I did so while it was dry, and I didn't really like all the breaking I was seeing. I conditioner wash everyday but let the conditioner and my hands do the detangling. I find it very convenient to use my hands through my hair while in the shower, so the comb becomes of little use.

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
I'm 4a/b also. I comb my hair when dry but well moisturized ,with a wide-tooth comb. I never comb when just shampooed and I had to make this change because I used to when natural. My hair is just too fragile when wet.

I comb through the ends every day. I come from thr ends up about ever three days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do comb your conditioner through from roots to ends?

No I comb after adding moisturizers (s-curl, elucence mb) and always comb from the roots up. Otherwise my comb just gets stuck
crazy.gif

size does matter however length doesn't
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

seriously, no matter how long ur hair is, it will benefit from using a wide tooth comb
smile.gif
even when i had my little bob, i remember always uses a wide tooth comb

When I do shampoo or do condioner washes, I do not comb. But after washing, I do comb my leave-in through my hair.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Vanessa22 said:
I have 4a/b hair and only comb my hair while it's wet every so often. There have been a few times when I did so while it was dry, and I didn't really like all the breaking I was seeing. I conditioner wash everyday but let the conditioner and my hands do the detangling. I find it very convenient to use my hands through my hair while in the shower, so the comb becomes of little use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try this.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
size does matter however length doesn't
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

seriously, no matter how long ur hair is, it will benefit from using a wide tooth comb
smile.gif
even when i had my little bob, i remember always uses a wide tooth comb

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should go shopping for a wide tooth comb. I thought I had one but I guess the teeth are not wide enough. I wonder how wide I should go.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that comb may be too narrow for daily use. I use a comb that has teeth that are approximately half an inch apart. My comb is huge! and seamless, look for that hard line running down the teeth of the comb...that will catch and pull your hair out.

I use a rat tail comb to gently scrape my edges down instead of using a brush. My breakage is minimal now. I comb wet or dry I am just extremely gentle and I Part my hair into sections with the tail of the rat tail comb before I start combing. If my hair is dry and I hear any popping sounds. I STOP immediately and moisturize the hair. As my roots start to come out (week five) I make sure to apply a little moisturizer to the them cuz they get cracklin dry around now.

So if you are going to comb daily choose a comb that is seamless with very wide teeth or do a protective style and don't comb everyday.
smile.gif

Edited to add link: This is what my comb looks like and it works fine for me. My hair is just brushing an inch below my neck. Now I don't know about the brand of comb but this is exactly what my comb looks like but it is seamless. I got it for $2.99

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1810&pf%5Fid=152650

Or maybe this one. I haven't tried it but it looks good.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1810&pf%5Fid=183913

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
when wet i use a jilbere shower comb (conditioning prevents tangling so the comb just glides thru).
when dry i use a jilbere w i d e tooth comb.
i comb my hair daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey caramelhonee
grin.gif

would you happen to have a picture of this comb that you use?

I only comb it when it's slightly moistened with my leave in mixture in a spray bottle. I use the comb Hairlove posted. I got it from hairsense.com. Works pretty good when you have alot of newgrowth. I plan on getting another one from that site too.
smile.gif

Back