Relaxed Ladies-when do you comb your hair?

That's exactly what I have..... except it's not made by Jilbere.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
I wonder if the comb I'm using is wide enough. The link below is what my comb looks like. Ladies, what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that comb may be too narrow for daily use. I use a comb that has teeth that are approximately half an inch apart. My comb is huge! and seamless, look for that hard line running down the teeth of the comb...that will catch and pull your hair out.

I use a rat tail comb to gently scrape my edges down instead of using a brush. My breakage is minimal now. I comb wet or dry I am just extremely gentle and I Part my hair into sections with the tail of the rat tail comb before I start combing. If my hair is dry and I hear any popping sounds. I STOP immediately and moisturize the hair. As my roots start to come out (week five) I make sure to apply a little moisturizer to the them cuz they get cracklin dry around now.

So if you are going to comb daily choose a comb that is seamless with very wide teeth or do a protective style and don't comb everyday.
smile.gif

Edited to add link: This is what my comb looks like and it works fine for me. My hair is just brushing an inch below my neck. Now I don't know about the brand of comb but this is exactly what my comb looks like but it is seamless. I got it for $2.99

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1810&pf%5Fid=152650

Or maybe this one. I haven't tried it but it looks good.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1810&pf%5Fid=183913

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much Falon! I always comb my hair dry first and then add moisture. Now I know that I should do the opposite.

I don't know your hair type but I am a 4a/b and when I use to comb my hair dry with no moisturizer I would lose a comb full of hair. That popping/crackling sound is a big warning bell. If your hair makes that sound you have to moisturize or it will comb out.

As far as wet combing remember to rinse out your conditioner standing up in the shower with your head tilted back so that you won't have a hot mess of tangles to deal with. I lose a lot less hair this way and I never screw my hair on top of my head when I wash it. My hair is super fragile when wet. If I use the wrong comb or handle it rough I will lose a handful of hair. I use to in the past and thought nothing of it.
nono.gif
Now I just shake my head when I think about how much of my hair would end up in the drains or on the floor because I was messing with the wrong comb and being rough. Using the right comb and being gentle makes a HUGE difference. I think it's as important as heat damage or choosing the correct products. A bad comb will set your progress way back.

I have the same hairtype as you Falon. I didn't realize the combing was as big of a deal as heat damage. I don't have a problem with tangles thankfully, but I do have breakage. when combing. By the way Falon, your hair looks awesome!What daily moisturizer do you use?

My comb is similar to this one:
product_bc.jpg

...except my comb is purple and white, the the teeth are longer, and the fine-tooth end of my comb has wider teeth than on the image above.

I have 4a/b hair and I find if I condition wash everyday when I have alot of new growth my hair comes out in clumps. I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb. Since I stop condition washing so often I have stop losing my hair.

I use a Scunci comb and girl, i'm guilty of combing my hair whenever the air stirs--basically anytime all day
look.gif
not from root to tip, but just to make sure it's staying untangled. I even take down my bun and do this
nuts.gif
it's sad but i cant help it
laugh.gif
-- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
I use a Scunci comb and girl, i'm guilty of combing my hair whenever the air stirs--basically anytime all day
look.gif
not from root to tip, but just to make sure it's staying untangled. I even take down my bun and do this
nuts.gif
laugh.gif
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet I comb my hair more then you. That's probably why I'm having issues
lachen70.gif

I think if I replace my comb, I will be better off.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
product_bc.jpg

...except my comb is purple and white, the the teeth are longer, and the fine-tooth end of my comb has wider teeth than on the image above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like that comb Pooh. I think it will work well with my length. Looks like I'm going comb shopping today.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
look.gif
nuts.gif
laugh.gif
-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet I comb my hair more then you. That's probably why I'm having issues
lachen70.gif

I think if I replace my comb, I will be better off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, try replacing your comb with a something with the teeth more spaced out and dipped like a Scunci. And when you do get like 4-5 of them (CVS has them usually for like $1 or so) this way you always have one handy. i have about 5-6 scunci combs and whenever i misplace one i just grab one of the backups and start combing
laugh.gif
I have them in my purse, in the car--- i got it bad
lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
I have the same hairtype as you Falon. I didn't realize the combing was as big of a deal as heat damage. I don't have a problem with tangles thankfully, but I do have breakage. when combing. By the way Falon, your hair looks awesome!What daily moisturizer do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I use either UBH Creme Moisturizer or the Neutrogena Silk Touch Leave in...I was really feeling the Neutrogena but it started making my hair feel too soft so I cut back. But I don't have any pics after I started using the Neutrogena.

I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when it is wet or dry.I do not have any breakage or split ends b/c I just had my hair trimmed after 4 months of not having a retouch. I still have my length and when I comb my hair there is no hair in the comb.

Ladies, I purchased 2 new combs yesterday from Sallys.I'm so pleased with them! One is like the one Poohbear has and the other is like the one I believe Hairlove uses. It's a bone comb that's almost the size of the Jilbere Shower Comb. I love it! I have less breakage with using both. Almost zero breakage. All this time, I thought I just needed more protein. I thought I was using a wide tooth comb all this time. Apparently not. The one I was using was practically ripping my hair out.

I also plan to moisturize before combing. Thanks so much everyone for your help!

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
product_bc.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I found the EXACT comb I use on wet and dry hair... here it is (the THIRD or last comb):

Rev-basic-combx2.jpg

I use a bone comb on dry straight hair, a wide long toothed comb on wet hair, and no comb at all when my hair is airdried. Not ever!

When it airdried I may part it with a rattail, but the brush does the rest.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I use a bone comb on dry straight hair, a wide long toothed comb on wet hair, and no comb at all when my hair is airdried. Not ever!

When it airdried I may part it with a rattail, but the brush does the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've started this too. I only comb my hair when wet from a wash. I do not comb when dry any longer. If I do, I use the large tooth bone comb but, I really don't need to. I find that it's not that hard to smooth my hair into a style without combing dry hair.
cool.gif

I comb my hair when it is wet [after a wash] with conditioner or leave-in. I usually do this every other day.

I comb mine everyday to style, and especially if I'm in a Surge stage.

I comb it wet after it's washed, and again after it's air-dried. I used to lose a lot of hair when it was air-dry before I started putting oil on it. It would just snap and break. Now since using Mane N Tail and adding oil, I don't get nearly as much breakage.

I usually don't :look:. I comb my wet hair but on my dry hair I generally I use my fingers to bun it or make it lay down after unwrapping my scarf.

Last edited:
Literally I only comb once every 1-2 wks. If i'm combing when dry, it has to be already moisturized. As far as when wet, only during conditioning which is every 2 wks.

Back