Relaxed Hair Thread

I don't like bone straight. Ideally, I would like it straight enough that I can get by on just rollersetting so I can hide the flat iron for a bit.

My hair likes shea butter too even though my strandsare fine lol.. Is there a relaxer available for linage or is it just texturizer? Have you ever tried their relaxer?

There's a lye relaxer version as well. My new stylist uses it. The hair that is relaxed with Linage is smoother and better moisturized than the rest of my relaxed hair, which is porous.

I've come down to between Affirm Sodium Hydroxide Normal or Nairobi Replenishing Relaxer in Normal. If anybody has used both, which do you prefer?

Random thought:

So I was looking at the Natural Hair Bun thread for some bunning ideas. The buns are lovely! I was scrolling and admiring and as usual....came across a post that's all "relaxed/straight hair buns look all the same, but golly gee whiz naturals look a bazillion times better" :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, lemme just get back to the relaxed threads where I belong. Really wish the mods would create a relaxed hair section so I could click on all the threads with reckless abandon.

I bought a new flat iron 1" nana ceramic vibrating flat iron by hot tools got it for 56 dolars at my work place I must say the vibrating option lets you straightening the hair effortlessly best 56 dollars I spent loool this is what I need for my leave out lol cant wait to end this 5 month stretch in 3 weeks

Random thought:

So I was looking at the Natural Hair Bun thread for some bunning ideas. The buns are lovely! I was scrolling and admiring and as usual....came across a post that's all "relaxed/straight hair buns look all the same, but golly gee whiz naturals look a bazillion times better" :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, lemme just get back to the relaxed threads where I belong. Really wish the mods would create a relaxed hair section so I could click on all the threads with reckless abandon.

I noticed during the weekend as I was watching a couple of beautiful relaxhead videos a good # of them had comments like "so when are you doing the big chop" "please consider transitioning, your curls would be beautiful!"..its like wtf..I mean I just got back to caring about my hair a couple of months ago *(was all about skincare and makeup) so i wasnt aware how bad things have gotten..

shame

No longer dream of my next touchup now that my ends have been trimmed but i need to start looking at relaxers for next time.

Can anyone recommend a lye relaxer for sensitive scalp? I've done a bit of research and it looks like affirm fiberguard has some good reviews but I'm not sure where I can buy it.

I'm currently using a no lye relaxer but I've heard lye is better...any thoughts are much appreciated!

Girl, if it ain't broke!!!! I use a no lye and would never use a lye relaxer... Way too harsh on my scalp... And my hair has not suffered at all... A few people on here like sunnieb use no lye too... Hopefully they can chime in,..

gbunnie - Really depends on what your hair likes. My stylist use Affirm lye once - matter of fact that was the last time I let somebody else relax my hair.

It did not agree with my hair at all! :nono: Felt so dry and lifeless. Just awful.

No-lye always gets my hair straight, silky, and perfect each time. Once I found LHCF, I realized that I needed to clarify/chelate as well to remove mineral deposits no-lye can leave behind, I'm good!

I noticed during the weekend as I was watching a couple of beautiful relaxhead videos a good # of them had comments like "so when are you doing the big chop" "please consider transitioning, your curls would be beautiful!"..its like wtf..I mean I just got back to caring about my hair a couple of months ago *(was all about skincare and makeup) so i wasnt aware how bad things have gotten..

shame

Yep it bad enough that most of the ladies I used to follow on YouTube reached their goal then went natural. I didn't even get a chance to enjoy their hair lol. But I also feel like natural nazis troll the relaxed ladies on YouTube.

I had a girl at the gym who had natural hair , I was wearing a rollerset my hair was swanging. A women gave me a compliment and she's like oh you still relax? Your hair would be really thick natural. I'm like :/.

I LOVE MY RELAXED HaIR

Random thought:

When comments like this are being made, I can only think to myself these people have to have identity issues! I'm starting to think they do it on purpose.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

My 6month post texlaxed hair

image-3522136900.jpg

image-3656541426.jpg

image-2601926512.jpg

May texlax this weekend depending on how I feel . I really want to swang my hair while its straight but I enjoy stretching and protective styling a lot as well so I'm 50/50 at the moment.

My 6month post texlaxed hair

May texlax this weekend depending on how I feel . I really want to swang my hair while its straight but I enjoy stretching and protective styling a lot as well so I'm 50/50 at the moment.

SincerelyBeautiful
Wow!! Thats some serious NG!! Is that all NG or are you texturized too?? Your strands look fine (mine are too). What products and techniques help you to stretch that long?? I have never gone past 14 weeks. Around that time my hair starts to tangle and matte something terible!

SincerelyBeautiful
Wow!! Thats some serious NG!! Is that all NG or are you texturized too?? Your strands look fine (mine are too). What products and techniques help you to stretch that long?? I have never gone past 14 weeks. Around that time my hair starts to tangle and matte something terible!

mshoneyfly
Thanks lol! It's all NG and yes my strands are fine which I hate :( Anywho in order to stretch this long I have been upping my cowashing and make sure to moisturize my NG once to twice daily. I use s-curl or Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 to moisturize my NG. I also moisturize and seal nightly using cantu Shea butter leave in or Herbal Essence LTR leave in, sealing with EXtra Virgin Coconut oil. I always deep condition once a week and I add oils and honey to my DC. Protein treatments either biweekly or once monthly. And I don't use heat. I wear PS's such as Bantu knot outs, box braids, braid outs, wash n go's, or buns. And headbands are a girls best friend lol!!!! HTH!!!

ETA: I also take Hairfinity :)

Last edited:
Just got my relaxer today, after a 12 week stretch. My hair is swanging and gorgeous. My stylist styled it, so my length I can't see it all just yet. I'll post a pic tomorrow and then again once I wash it in about a week and a half. I think I may be full shoulder in the back.

gbunnie I use Optimum Relaxer Regular.... in the red box.... If you getting breakage after 2 months, how long are you going between relaxers? How are you treating your new growth?

Yep it bad enough that most of the ladies I used to follow on YouTube reached their goal then went natural. I didn't even get a chance to enjoy their hair lol. But I also feel like natural nazis troll the relaxed ladies on YouTube.

Im still mad about justherz

Her bc hair is nice and thick but I def lemmed over her relaxed hair lol..makes me wanna try Affirm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UZUvZFDws

Just look at that fishbraid :yep: if you check one of her videos, couple of people did ask when she will BC..she said wasnt happening..eventuaklly she did..

and this video is why Im gonna look for molasses today to do a treatment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVTCLr--FRE

Plopped my hair in a bun after dc'ing with a dollop of leave in.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1429553368.jpg
    image-1429553368.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 40
gbunnie

Have you chelated. When I used to use no lye, I specifically used aloe rid because it was a chelator even though NY doesn't really gave hard water. Also when I relaxed, using Linange neutralizing conditioner reduced the need for a chelator because it got rid of the deposits.

If upping protein or moisture is helping, or reducing manipulation isn't helping, that might be the next option.

I used some vo5 moisture miles and my hair feels drrry.

Well I'm gonna buy some hair inaurance to put in my rollerset bottle.

JudithO + sunnieb I go 4-6 months between relaxers. I treat the new growth pretty much like the rest of my hair i.e. I moisturize twice daily from root to ends but I won't comb through the new growth.

Saludable84, I use pureology clarifying shampoo...does that count as a chelator? Is aloe rid a nexxus or ORS product? I use protein once or twice a month, the rest of the time I use a moisturizing DC.

Aloe rid is Nexxus. It could be a chelating issue or a protein overload issue. I usually alternate between light and heavy protein biweekly.

Look what came out to play!!!

Attachments

• image-1552978524.jpg
    image-1552978524.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-77336404.jpg
    image-77336404.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 76
Back