PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep conditioning now with Lanza for 5 hours without heat. Will come back later with my rating.

ETA my rating

My hair looks and feels like a 10! While I was rinsing the conditioner out in the shower my hair felt like silk in my hands.
Impressed again! You go gurl

The rules will be simple
Stop in weekly after you SHAMPOO AND DC and share

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE?
Aubrey's GPB
Aphogee 2 min

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10?
my hair felt like an 8, the ends were no longer spongy and the breaking greatly reduced
even crown area felt stronger, hopefully I will find the solution to the constant breakage

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10?
I would like to try Emergencee.
I am going to add SAA to my conditioners,
continue spritzing my hair with Aphogee Keratin Green tea spray leave in and also
use Sebastian's Potion#9 leave in.

Got to stop the Breakage

I know that I am so late joining...but I hope that I am not too late. I remember the original thread that inspired this challenge and I am intotal agreement. I have fine/medium relaxed hair and it loves Protein!!! I have been using Protein and my hair loves it, but for some reason I often forget to use it. I need you guys to keep on program!!!

Checking in - overnight prepoo with Ultra Sheen Duo Tex - followed up withe Kenra MS and MC - hair is feeling super strong!!

Wow thats cool daily cowashing. I can't wait till the summer so I can do something different! Keep us updated for sure. Are you in a warm climate? I bet that encourages hair growth.

:nono: no ma'am.. ive been in PA going on 2 years now and the weather is FINALLY breaking.. I miss big money TX :sad:

:lachen:i bet my hair would grow like wildfire in CA in the summertime... oh how is miss home... oh well PA and its brutal winterss havent been sooo bad (on the hair at least)

what do you guys suggest I use for protien cowashes?

Im thinking mane n tail (the original), since I can get a larger size for about 8 bucks at Sallys.

i try to stay away from cones (they scare me), and it can be a cheapy, but most of the vo5's are no bueno for me

thanks chicas!

The rules will be simple
Stop in weekly after you SHAMPOO AND DC and share

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE?
Aubrey's GPB
Aphogee 2 min

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10?
my hair felt like an 8, the ends were no longer spongy and the breaking greatly reduced
even crown area felt stronger, hopefully I will find the solution to the constant breakage

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10?
I would like to try Emergencee.
I am going to add SAA to my conditioners,
continue spritzing my hair with Aphogee Keratin Green tea spray leave in and also
use Sebastian's Potion#9 leave in.

Got to stop the Breakage

I know that I am so late joining...but I hope that I am not too late. I remember the original thread that inspired this challenge and I am intotal agreement. I have fine/medium relaxed hair and it loves Protein!!! I have been using Protein and my hair loves it, but for some reason I often forget to use it. I need you guys to keep on program!!!
Sound like you have a solid regimine. Great choice of products. Glad to have you join us. I'll add you . Welcome, we moving forward here and progressing very well

:nono: no ma'am.. ive been in PA going on 2 years now and the weather is FINALLY breaking.. I miss big money TX :sad:

:lachen:i bet my hair would grow like wildfire in CA in the summertime... oh how is miss home... oh well PA and its brutal winterss havent been sooo bad (on the hair at least)
I HEARD YA. I'M GETTING THE MOVING TO FLORIDA ITCH EVERYTIME IT GETS COLD HERE IN MICHIGAN. ONE OF THESE DAYS, ITS GOING TO HAPPEN. I LOVE THE HEAT:yep::yep:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1476956/protein_and_moisture_balancing_in_black.html?cat=69
RAN ACROSS THIS GOOD ARTICLE.

I forgot to update. I shampoo today with nizoral and that stuff left my hair so tangled and dry I used my trader joe nourish spa to soften up. I'm just realizing why my hair not feeling so hot. I forgot to use my protein today. I was rushing trying to make my dentist app and I totally forgot. I will be using my protein in a couple days. I want my perfect 10 hair back. Its about a 8. I aint having that!

Last edited:
:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Wow! Really? That stuff makes my hair soooo hard after like a minute, I think if I did that my hair would be permanently frozen in place :lachen::lachen:

That's odd, Duo Tek softens my hair too and I think it's because of the hydrolyzed collagen which aids in adding elasticity to the hair along with strength. I can actually use this weekly with no problems.

Anyway ladies, I am finally back home from Nebraska and happy to be in warm weather again
icon7.gif
. This sew-in is itching me like crazy and I can't wait to get this out. I didn't want my hair to suffer from the cold in Nebraska and that's why I had the sew-in installed. I hate sew-ins:nono:, it's official. I can't get to my scalp like I want to and it's driving me up the wall. I really prefer braids wayyy more:yep:.

Hey Patricia...I finally got the nerve up to ask you if I could join the challenge?? I have been a lurker to this thread since I joined a month ago and it has really helped my hair. Thank you for a great thread; the support here is amazing.
I haven't found a protein treatment that I love yet tho I've tried several Apoghee 2 step(sp?) was too messy, Joico KPak deep conditioning reconstructor I have to use a lot and keep in on longer to feel the strength (it smells great) I have a sample size of the PC Mendex reconstructor I want to use when I take my hair out of braids. I want to try Emergencee too.
Can I please join?

I did a much needed protien treatment with RMHRT mixed with the joico I had left. I used it as a prepoo with heat for 15 min and then DC for 30. It wasn't long enough : ( I straightened with a white tee on and there was hair EVERYWHERE! Oh well my hair is in baggies now to remedy this. I think the daily cowashing will help as well. It feels good but I'm not happy about the hair everywhere I give it an 8...

Anyway ladies, I am finally back home from Nebraska and happy to be in warm weather again
icon7.gif
. This sew-in is itching me like crazy and I can't wait to get this out. I didn't want my hair to suffer from the cold in Nebraska and that's why I had the sew-in installed. I hate sew-ins:nono:, it's official. I can't get to my scalp like I want to and it's driving me up the wall. I really prefer braids wayyy more:yep:.
I'm waiting on the warm weather to come. Yeah I understand I like my own hair rather than sew ins

Hey Patricia...I finally got the nerve up to ask you if I could join the challenge?? I have been a lurker to this thread since I joined a month ago and it has really helped my hair. Thank you for a great thread; the support here is amazing.
I haven't found a protein treatment that I love yet tho I've tried several Apoghee 2 step(sp?) was too messy, Joico KPak deep conditioning reconstructor I have to use a lot and keep in on longer to feel the strength (it smells great) I have a sample size of the PC Mendex reconstructor I want to use when I take my hair out of braids. I want to try Emergencee too.
Can I please join?
SURE YOU CAN JOIN. Welcome to the challenge! Let us know the products you will be using. Yeah you got to try the emergencee, Its a good product. Just as good as the 2 step IMO. Thanks for joining and give us all the product reviews when you can.

I did a much needed protien treatment with RMHRT mixed with the joico I had left. I used it as a prepoo with heat for 15 min and then DC for 30. It wasn't long enough : ( I straightened with a white tee on and there was hair EVERYWHERE! Oh well my hair is in baggies now to remedy this. I think the daily cowashing will help as well. It feels good but I'm not happy about the hair everywhere I give it an 8...
I heard when you cowash you need to up your protein cause you using more moisture. Did you find a mild protein conditioner to cowash with? Wow Hate to hear about all the hairs, thats not good. Keep us posted. Maybe you need a boost of a stronger protein treatment

I forgot to report on when I used Komazacare's Hair Strengthener a few weeks ago. It is a hard protein-- I believe. I've been using a lot more protein lately. I'm 11 wks post and plan to stretch until May 1st so I am really trying to keep that balance. All that to say that I believe the minimal breakage and sometimes no hair or less than 10 hairs in the comb is a cumulative effect. When I used Komazacare I saw an immediate effect. Strong yet soft hair. Less than 5 hairs in the comb. I would give my hair a 9.5. I will be using it again next week.

REALLY, I'M GOING TO GET THE COURAGE AND CONDITION OVERNIGHT. WOW I'M VERY IMPRESSED. ULTRASHEEN DUO. :yep::yep::yep:

Hey Trish - yes ma'am - I said I would give it a try! It came out surprisingly well - gotta follow up with the Kenra MC - I am loving this stuf!

Which is better: Aphogee two step or DuoTex? Why?

I have tried Aphogee but I have been hearing good things about the DuoTex.

Last edited:
I heard when you cowash you need to up your protein cause you using more moisture. Did you find a mild protein conditioner to cowash with? Wow Hate to hear about all the hairs, thats not good. Keep us posted. Maybe you need a boost of a stronger protein treatment

yeah I know I'd asked a few pages ago about a good condish for protien cowashes... I think im gonna go with Mane n Tail Original... yeah the hairs have me shook... I think i needed a longer DC session. I'll steam DC on Tuesday...

yeah I know I'd asked a few pages ago about a good condish for protien cowashes... I think im gonna go with Mane n Tail Original... yeah the hairs have me shook... I think i needed a longer DC session. I'll steam DC on Tuesday...

I think you asked this in the cowash challenge thread, too? It made me think that is a good question. I'm using Hairveda's Moist PRO and today I bought AO GPB and JASON's Biotin. I plan on using those as my protein cowash conditioners. I'm also thinking of checking out Millcreek.

Checking In:

DC with heat 30 min and then for additional 2 hrs, no heat
mixed together in bowl and applied:
-TIGI Dumb Blonde reconstructor
-Optimum anti-breakage therapy (ceramides)
-bioInfusion hydrating condtioning balm
-Redken smooth down butter treat

Poo'ed with Giovanni smooth as silk
rinsed with ACV and cool water
Airdried, leave-in: Freeman's Sea Kelp and Sebastians Potion #9
90% dry seal with castor oil

Results are a 10
Hair is smooth to the touch, shiny, strong, reduced breakage, hair detangles very well. Hair feels about as strong as when my hair was natural
Crown area is less frizzy, not brittle, mushy or stretchy. Consistency matches that of the rest of my hair.

Got to stop the Breakage!

Haven't checked in much but I have been keeping up and doing protein atleast once a week.I stopped using gpb bc I didn't find it to be stong enough for my hair. I have been using the aveda DR instead and I love it so far.

Anyway here's what I did sat.
Pre poo w/ shikakai and amla oils and sitrinillah overnite
Poo w/ ors creamy aloe and DR
Emergencee for 15 w/ heat
Rinse out, apply Wen while showered ( my hair felt so soft,prolly didn't need to dc)
Dc w/ HSR w/ amla oil, castor oil and brahmi

I would say my hair was a 9. Minimal breakage and it felt soft but strong.

Haven't checked in much but I have been keeping up and doing protein atleast once a week.I stopped using gpb bc I didn't find it to be stong enough for my hair. I have been using the aveda DR instead and I love it so far.

Anyway here's what I did sat.
Pre poo w/ shikakai and amla oils and sitrinillah overnite
Poo w/ ors creamy aloe and DR
Emergencee for 15 w/ heat
Rinse out, apply Wen while showered ( my hair felt so soft,prolly didn't need to dc)
Dc w/ HSR w/ amla oil, castor oil and brahmi
Used PC for 2 mins before final rinse

I would say my hair was a 9. Minimal breakage and it felt soft but strong.

Checking in.. ..whooohooo!!! I've just prepooed with motions crp mixed with motions moisture plus for about 10-15 mins then pooed with motions lavish shampoo. I saw FAR LESS breakage than normal!!!!!! I'm soo happy!! I'm currently dcing with an Amazonian hair mask (forget the name) then il rinse and apply korres almond protein leave in. I bought the rice protein serum for hair ends too so I might pop that on too. Il check back in soon. Bt I just had to share my happiness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back