PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im baaaack! LOL so I've just tried detangling my hair with the korres leave in in. Still had breakage bt from prepoo to end I had alot less breakage. Yay for me! I'd say I'm a 7 which is a vast improvement from before! Mayb il do a longer protein prepoo next time. Thanks to pratricia for puttin me onto protein!!!

Haven't checked in much but I have been keeping up and doing protein atleast once a week.I stopped using gpb bc I didn't find it to be stong enough for my hair. I have been using the aveda DR instead and I love it so far.

Anyway here's what I did sat.
Pre poo w/ shikakai and amla oils and sitrinillah overnite
Poo w/ ors creamy aloe and DR
Emergencee for 15 w/ heat
Rinse out, apply Wen while showered ( my hair felt so soft,prolly didn't need to dc)
Dc w/ HSR w/ amla oil, castor oil and brahmi

I would say my hair was a 9. Minimal breakage and it felt soft but strong.
Don't it feel good to have soft yet strong hair!!!!!!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Im baaaack! LOL so I've just tried detangling my hair with the korres leave in in. Still had breakage bt from prepoo to end I had alot less breakage. Yay for me! I'd say I'm a 7 which is a vast improvement from before! Mayb il do a longer protein prepoo next time. Thanks to pratricia for puttin me onto protein!!!
You are so sweet. It was you reading everything though. You have the right attitude about it. I can see you really figuring this thing out. You are not a quitter. You still have some breakage but its a lot less. You are taking the right approach by thinking what you can do next time for more improvement. Oh yes please keep us updated

Which is better: Aphogee two step or DuoTex? Why?

I have tried Aphogee but I have been hearing good things about the DuoTex.
Duotex is not a strong protein but its a good product. You get a big bottle for 5bucks and that bottle last for a long time. I really like duotex but if you in need of a stronger protein Aphogee is the one.

Checking In:

DC with heat 30 min and then for additional 2 hrs, no heat
mixed together in bowl and applied:
-TIGI Dumb Blonde reconstructor
-Optimum anti-breakage therapy (ceramides)
-bioInfusion hydrating condtioning balm
-Redken smooth down butter treat

Poo'ed with Giovanni smooth as silk
rinsed with ACV and cool water
Airdried, leave-in: Freeman's Sea Kelp and Sebastians Potion #9
90% dry seal with castor oil

Results are a 10
Hair is smooth to the touch, shiny, strong, reduced breakage, hair detangles very well. Hair feels about as strong as when my hair was natural
Crown area is less frizzy, not brittle, mushy or stretchy. Consistency matches that of the rest of my hair.

Got to stop the Breakage!
Taking notes. Your choice of products sounds tempting. :yep::yep::yep:

Okay, maybe this is what's wrong with my hair. Maybe I need some protein.
Patricia, I just PM'd you.

I always thought that naturals only needed moisture, so I've only used moisture. I used Mega-Tek on my scalp, but never my hair. In fact, I was trying to get rid of my Emergencee, Sebastian 2+1. I also have AO GPB that I rarely EVER used.

Just had to cut a little more than an inch last night. I noticed that my hair is very elastic, and lots of small, curly ends just rip right off when I comb it, pull it, or wash in the shower. Is this a sign of protein deficiency?

If so, sign me up. I'm gonna incorporate protein into my reggie and never make the mistake again of not maintaining a healthy balance of protein and moisture.

Ladies, please chime in if any of my problems resembled what some of you experienced.

Thanks.

Ok, I am going to try something new (and controversial, I am sure). My hair is just eating up the protein. I do an emergencee/keraphix mix twice a week and my hair just keeps getting better and better.

Here is what I am going to do today. I am 6 weeks post so I am doing my usual Aphogee two step (currently under the dryer). I will rinse it out and apply my emergencee/keraphix mix for the polymers then moisturize with either Humectress or Joico intense hydrator (or should I mix the Joico K-pak with the intense hydrator instead of the emergencee/keraphix mix.... hmmm :scratchch. I will play it by ear)

This Wednesday, I am going to do a henna/indigo/steam treament.

I will report back later tonight and again on Wednesday.

I always thought that naturals only needed moisture, so I've only used moisture. I used Mega-Tek on my scalp, but never my hair. In fact, I was trying to get rid of my Emergencee, Sebastian 2+1. I also have AO GPB that I rarely EVER used.

Just had to cut a little more than an inch last night. I noticed that my hair is very elastic, and lots of small, curly ends just rip right off when I comb it, pull it, or wash in the shower. Is this a sign of protein deficiency?

If so, sign me up. I'm gonna incorporate protein into my reggie and never make the mistake again of not maintaining a healthy balance of protein and moisture.

Ladies, please chime in if any of my problems resembled what some of you experienced.

Thanks.
:yep:, you definitely need some protein treatments yodie. This happened to me when I first joined the forum and didn't know any better but thank God along came Patricia to enlighten some of us fine haired women:yep:.

Hey I am back. It's been a while. I had braids for almost six weeks and I knew I needed a protein treatment after I took them out. I used Emergencee and left it on until my hair dried (about 1 1/2 hours) and then followed it up with a moisturizing DC. The Emergencee worked; my hair would be shedding big time had it not. I will more than likely relax my hair next week. I haven't had a bone straight perm since November 29, 2008 and the texlax I did in January was a no-go; it was as if I didn't put any relaxer on my hair at all.
Anyhoo, I will be doing my protein treatments and maintenance from here on out.

Ok, I am going to try something new (and controversial, I am sure). My hair is just eating up the protein. I do an emergencee/keraphix mix twice a week and my hair just keeps getting better and better.

Here is what I am going to do today. I am 6 weeks post so I am doing my usual Aphogee two step (currently under the dryer). I will rinse it out and apply my emergencee/keraphix mix for the polymers then moisturize with either Humectress or Joico intense hydrator (or should I mix the Joico K-pak with the intense hydrator instead of the emergencee/keraphix mix.... hmmm :scratchch. I will play it by ear)

This Wednesday, I am going to do a henna/indigo/steam treatment.

Ok. I ended up using a Humectress/Emergencee mix as I ran out of Keraphix (I am slippin'!).

I WILL NEVER USE APHOGEE TWO STEP ANY OTHER WAY! I will always follow the two step with emergencee.

After I rinsed the Emergencee mix out I applied the Roux Porosity control and rinsed with cold water. I then applied more Nexxus Humetress and will sleep overnight with a baggie.

My hair came out so soft yet so strong. Only 3 (shed) hairs came out. I pulled on the hairs to check the tensile strength and it would NOT snap!

I will be seriously moisturizing over the next three days in preparation for the henna/indigo treatment this Wednesday.

Okay ladies, I finally took down that sew-in I had and did my hair today. I clarified with Mizani Puriphyl shampoo, followed by GPB shampoo and CON red label moisturizing poo - my hair was really dirty ladies, urghhh:grin:!

I then used some GPB protein conditioner for 2 minutes, followed by MT for 5 minutes, then some Ion Solutions Reconstructor for 10 minutes. Now I am sitting under my dryer DCing with AO HSR for 1.5 hours. Don't know what my hair will feel like yet so I'll update later.

Deep conditioned overnight with lanza healing moisture co and designer touch equilibrium moisture balance conditioner.

ETA: my hair looks and feels like a 10. I am on a mission to use up the conditioners that I have b/c I really want to make the switch to all natural products(or as natural as I can get without breaking the bank) in 6 months.

Last edited:
SHAMPOO WITH PROTEIN
AO GPB Balancing shampoo
Aphoghee
Botanoil
Diametress
FAST (Fortified Amino Scalp Therapy)
Mastey Restore Shampoo
Nioxin

CONDITIONERS WITH PROTEIN
I'll add more when you post. thanks

Affirm 5in1
Aphogee 2 min reconstructor
Aphogee 2 step treatment for damaged hair
Aubrey organics GPB
Biolage
Dudleys DRC 28
Elucence
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Joico K-Pak Liquid Reconstructor (leave in)
MegaTek
Motions CPR
Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
ORS Mayo (mild)
ORS Replenishing Pack (mild and moisturizing)
Protein Silicone Mix
Sebastian 2+1
Tigi Ego Boost
Ultra Sheen Duo Tex

Totally OFF TOPIC....but....as I was reading the first post with the rules and such, I was just wondering if there are any Creamy LeaveIn's with protein. On my "protein day" I would absolutely love to start off with Protein Shampoo, then Protein DC, spritz with my wet Protein Leave In (..I use Doo Gro...), then finish with a nice creamy Protein Leave-In, and seal with oils.

Don't mean to hijack the thread....maybe I should start a new thread called: CREAMY PROTEIN LEAVE-INS..... Do you ladies know of any?? What are you using?? Please share....:ohwell:

Totally OFF TOPIC....but....as I was reading the first post with the rules and such, I was just wondering if there are any Creamy LeaveIn's with protein. On my "protein day" I would absolutely love to start off with Protein Shampoo, then Protein DC, spritz with my wet Protein Leave In (..I use Doo Gro...), then finish with a nice creamy Protein Leave-In, and seal with oils.

Don't mean to hijack the thread....maybe I should start a new thread called: CREAMY PROTEIN LEAVE-INS..... Do you ladies know of any?? What are you using?? Please share....:ohwell:

Hey there,

Lanza has a creamy protein based leave in. It's called Lanza daily elements leave in conditioner. I purchased it from Ulta for $13.00 and some change.

hths,
tishee

Thanks.
WELCOME TO THE CHALLENGE! SORRY FOR THE DELAY. KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR ROUTINE

This Wednesday, I am going to do a henna/indigo/steam treament.

YOUR HAIR LOOKS FAB IN YOUR SIGGY. NOT SURE HOW TO ADVISE BUT LET US KNOW YOUR RESULTS

Hey I am back. It's been a while. I had braids for almost six weeks and I knew I needed a protein treatment after I took them out. I used Emergencee and left it on until my hair dried (about 1 1/2 hours) and then followed it up with a moisturizing DC. The Emergencee worked; my hair would be shedding big time had it not. I will more than likely relax my hair next week. I haven't had a bone straight perm since November 29, 2008 and the texlax I did in January was a no-go; it was as if I didn't put any relaxer on my hair at all.
Anyhoo, I will be doing my protein treatments and maintenance from here on out.
YOU KNOW I MISSED YOU. I LOVE THE PIC OF DQ! KEEP US POSTED

Ok. I ended up using a Humectress/Emergencee mix as I ran out of Keraphix (I am slippin'!).

I WILL NEVER USE APHOGEE TWO STEP ANY OTHER WAY! I will always follow the two step with emergencee.

After I rinsed the Emergencee mix out I applied the Roux Porosity control and rinsed with cold water. I then applied more Nexxus Humetress and will sleep overnight with a baggie.

My hair came out so soft yet so strong. Only 3 (shed) hairs came out. I pulled on the hairs to check the tensile strength and it would NOT snap!

I will be seriously moisturizing over the next three days in preparation for the henna/indigo treatment this Wednesday.
THAT SOUNDS GREAT. I HAVE EMERGENCEE HUMECTRESS AND ROUX. I'M GOING TO DO THIS TREATMENT MINUS THE OVERNIGHT. THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR RESULTS

Okay ladies, I finally took down that sew-in I had and did my hair today. I clarified with Mizani Puriphyl shampoo, followed by GPB shampoo and CON red label moisturizing poo - my hair was really dirty ladies, urghhh:grin:!

I then used some GPB protein conditioner for 2 minutes, followed by MT for 5 minutes, then some Ion Solutions Reconstructor for 10 minutes. Now I am sitting under my dryer DCing with AO HSR for 1.5 hours. Don't know what my hair will feel like yet so I'll update later.
I'M VERY CONFIDENT YOUR HAIR WILL BE JUST A PRETTY AS YOUR SIGGY!

Deep conditioned overnight with lanza healing moisture co and designer touch equilibrium moisture balance conditioner.

ETA: my hair looks and feels like a 10. I am on a mission to use up the conditioners that I have b/c I really want to make the switch to all natural products(or as natural as I can get without breaking the bank) in 6 months.
CONGRATS YOU GOT A SOLID REGIMINE THAT WORKING

GOOD QUESTION. WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR QUESTIONS, THATS NOT OFF TOPIC. ITS ABOUT HAIR! :yep::yep:ITS ACTUALLY SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW. HMMMMM THAT A GOOD QUESTION. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP. THANKS

Newbie here, new to LHCF and new to doing my own hair so I need lots of help. I'm trying to perfect my regimen right now so I'm experimenting with different products; (I'll update with my regi when I get home)

I'm 6 months posts and taking a huge break from heat, so I wearing a wig for my protective style; the other reason for my heat diet is b/c my hair is sooooooooo fragile, to the point where I'm affraid to do anything with it, I pressed for the last 5 months (salon) but when I started doing my own hair about a month ago freaked out when I saw so much hair on the floor and on the bathroom counter.

I don't know how to determine whether or not I need protein. Some of the posts I've read on this thread sounds just like my hair but I don't know how to truely determine if I need protein.

So how can I tell if I need protein? If so (I'm a novice) what would you suggest? should I use a protein shampoo? Cond? leave-in? or DC? your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Well my shedding is virtually non existent now so it was probably just a phase. Tea rinsing helped a lot with that. The breakage stopped completely (right after the first treatment) but I'll be continuing my protein treatments. Another one is scheduled for tomorrow and I am quite looking forward to it. Will update on how it goes tomorrow.

Last edited:
This morning I did a 5 minute co wash with my Nioxin Intensive Therapy Weightless Reconstructive Masque followed by a cowash of Suave Humectant. I think I need to use some porosity control because my hair is feeling a little unsmooth...I will be 9 weeks post my last relaxer tomorrow and have quite a bit of new growth.

Newbie here, new to LHCF and new to doing my own hair so I need lots of help. I'm trying to perfect my regimen right now so I'm experimenting with different products; (I'll update with my regi when I get home)

I'm 6 months posts and taking a huge break from heat, so I wearing a wig for my protective style; the other reason for my heat diet is b/c my hair is sooooooooo fragile, to the point where I'm affraid to do anything with it, I pressed for the last 5 months (salon) but when I started doing my own hair about a month ago freaked out when I saw so much hair on the floor and on the bathroom counter.

I don't know how to determine whether or not I need protein. Some of the posts I've read on this thread sounds just like my hair but I don't know how to truely determine if I need protein.

So how can I tell if I need protein? If so (I'm a novice) what would you suggest? should I use a protein shampoo? Cond? leave-in? or DC? your advice will be greatly appreciated.
I basically use a protein conditioner and leave in if necessary. it depends how my hair feels after i condition. My advise is to start off slow and use protein conditioner thats mild. In my opinion aphogee 2 minute is good to start off with. This process will take time cause you tring to rebuild your fragile hair. Try the 2 min for a couple weeks if you see improvement. If so you found a good product to call your staple. If your hair is still weak try a stronger protein for a couple weeks. like nexxus emergencee. Then you will start to figure this hair thing out. Keep asking questions someone else will chime in. Thanks quita!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back