PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my shedding is virtually non existent now so it was probably just a phase. Tea rinsing helped a lot with that. The breakage stopped completely (right after the first treatment) but I'll be continuing my protein treatments. Another one is scheduled for tomorrow and I am quite looking forward to it. Will update on how it goes tomorrow.
Ok please share how you tea rinse. I have a lot of tea I would love to try

This morning I did a 5 minute co wash with my Nioxin Intensive Therapy Weightless Reconstructive Masque followed by a cowash of Suave Humectant. I think I need to use some porosity control because my hair is feeling a little unsmooth...I will be 9 weeks post my last relaxer tomorrow and have quite a bit of new growth.
I totally forgot to use porosity control and when I do my hair tells me. I need to use it next wash too!

Ok please share how you tea rinse. I have a lot of tea I would love to try

I brew tea in a bowl, using one or two tea bags, let it cool for a while. Then I wash my hair in plaits with CON. Rinse. Squeeze out the excess water from each plait. I pour the tea over each plait all the way down to my scalp of course, and put on a plastic cap for about thirty minutes. Then I rinse, blot dry and moisturise well with my usual moisturisers. I don't deep condition or use a moisturising conditioner after but that's just a personal preference for now because I want the full strengthening effect of the tea. My hair is looking fuller and stronger and the shedding has virtually stopped. I've done two tea rinses in two weeks and tomorrow it's back to protein (my trusty Jherri Redding). My hair feels and looks like an 8 now.

I'll see how my hair feels after tomorrow's treatment and then I'll decide if I should go back to my regular regimen with moisturising DCs 1x a week or whether to do 2 moisturising DCs per month and 2 protein treatments. There definitely needs to be more protein in my regimen. I mean that's clear. Working my way slowly up to a 10.

Last edited:
2009_JANMARCH-vi.jpg

thanks ladies for reminding me and helping me discover the importance of protien in my hair care regimen... Thanks soooooo much:blowkiss:

Okay, this morning I did an experiment. I put 3/4oz each of aloe oil, shikakai oil and JBCO in a color applicator bottle and heated it up for 30 seconds in the microwave, then squeezed it through my scalp and over my hair. I scritched my scalp for 3 minutes and put on a plastic cap.

I then mixed 3 TBS each of brahmi and kalpi tone powders with 5 TBS of Miss Key 10 in 1 conditioner, 2 oz shikakai oil and a little hot distilled water and mixed into a very thick paste. After mixing I added it to my pre-oiled hair and scalp and let sit for 2 hours, 1 hour was under the dryer, 1 without.

I proceeded to wash it out under the shower and I kid you not, that mixture was so so soft even as it was washing out. I almost didn't need to cowash it out, but I did anyway with some v05 Free Me Freesia. My hair is still extremely soft from the paste. Now bare in mind, I am 9 weeks post my last relaxer and was a little hesitant at first to use the paste, but I am so glad I did this now. I truly believe it was because I pre-heated the oil before adding to my hair and added more heat under the dryer. Hope this helps some relaxer stretchers.

I am now sitting with a protein mixture of US Duo Tek, Mizani Fulfyl, and Elucence Extended Moisture Repair for 30 minutes and will follow up with a moisturizing Dc mixture of Pantene R&N hair Mask, Biolage Conditioning Balm and heated castor and grapeseed oil.

Okay, this morning I did an experiment. I put 3/4oz each of aloe oil, shikakai oil and JBCO in a color applicator bottle and heated it up for 30 seconds in the microwave, then squeezed it through my scalp and over my hair. I scritched my scalp for 3 minutes and put on a plastic cap.

I then mixed 3 TBS each of brahmi and kalpi tone powders with 5 TBS of Miss Key 10 in 1 conditioner, 2 oz shikakai oil and a little hot distilled water and mixed into a very thick paste. After mixing I added it to my pre-oiled hair and scalp and let sit for 2 hours, 1 hour was under the dryer, 1 without.

I proceeded to wash it out under the shower and I kid you not, that mixture was so so soft even as it was washing out. I almost didn't need to cowash it out, but I did anyway with some v05 Free Me Freesia. My hair is still extremely soft from the paste. Now bare in mind, I am 9 weeks post my last relaxer and was a little hesitant at first to use the paste, but I am so glad I did this now. I truly believe it was because I pre-heated the oil before adding to my hair and added more heat under the dryer. Hope this helps some relaxer stretchers.

I am now sitting with a protein mixture of US Duo Tek, Mizani Fulfyl, and Elucence Extended Moisture Repair for 30 minutes and will follow up with a moisturizing Dc mixture of Pantene R&N hair Mask, Biolage Conditioning Balm and heated castor and grapeseed oil.

Ooooooooh!!!!!! This sounds so delightfully powerful and therapeutic. :yep: Especially scritching your scalp for 3 min. :drunk: Awesome!!! I am loving the Ayurvedic mixes. I wish I was home so I could mix up a mess of something. Can't wait till this weekend!!!!!:grin:

Ooooooooh!!!!!! This sounds so delightfully powerful and therapeutic. :yep: Especially scritching your scalp for 3 min. :drunk: Awesome!!! I am loving the Ayurvedic mixes. I wish I was home so I could mix up a mess of something. Can't wait till this weekend!!!!!:grin:

Yes bbdgirl, it was very therapeutic... I will definitely be doing this treatment again and again. Let me know what your mix is and share the results with us. I am so into these powders right now and can't wait to do my next reatment which will probably be on Sunday:yep:.

ETA: I think I will add some essential oil to the mixture of carrier oils after heating then apply to my scalp and hair, then add the ayurveda cowash:yep:.

Last edited:

Wow thats like a hot oil treatment to the 10th power. I wouldn't know where to start using indian oils. I know your hair is loving you right now!:yep::yep:

just popping in a quick note. I have been trying to get a handle on the protein balance and have discovered my hair loves the mizani custom blend - kerafuse/hydrafuse combination. Did this last week and my hair came out very soft with lots of body to it and shine. Last night I tried Mizani renew Strength and it did ok but I tend to like the custom blend so far more. i can adjust the protein vs the moisture as needed. I also picked up a bottle of Porosity control after reading the porosity thread here and some other threads talking about hair porosity and I actually used it as a final rinse after the renew strength and it made my hair even softer than it was after JUST using the renew strength.

I plan on using the PC as a final rinse at least once a week. I am going to alternate the renew strength with the custom blend on a week to week basis.
Midweek I will use moisturefuse and I am sealing with carrot oil whenever i shampoo whether i dc or not.
i am about a month since my last relaxer-retouch and my new growth is coming in more on the left side of my head and on the crown area which can be a pain but I am dealing with it for as long as I can. I want to stretch at least till the end of April but depends on how the rest grows in. My hair is so coarse its really hard to stretch for any length of time and not get breakage starting.

Aggie,

You have me wanting to mix up some of my ayurvedic powders that are just sitting. Brahmi burns my scalp and makes it itch. Anyone else experience that? I'm about to get a sew in for the next couple of months.

Aggie,

You have me wanting to mix up some of my ayurvedic powders that are just sitting. Brahmi burns my scalp and makes it itch. Anyone else experience that? I'm about to get a sew in for the next couple of months.

Oh my goodness yodie. I am so sorry to hear this:sad:. You know, Lavendar is allergic to amla powder too so I guess this is possible with all of the powders from person to person. I will definitely be doing that treatment again.

But in the mean time, I have a henna treatment sitting on my hair right now and will be DCing with Mizani Moisturefuse mixed with AO HSR, AO GPB and a little CON Conditioning Reconstructor. My hair is way too porous after a henna treatment and I know this is unheard of after a henna treatment but I am trying to add a little protein to my DC this time to see how my hair will like it. I will also be finishing it all off with a quick rinse of porosity control conditioner. Stay tuned...

I need to look for Essations Instant Hair Mender. I have been hearing good things about it. Anyone else hear about this protein treatment?

just popping in a quick note. I have been trying to get a handle on the protein balance and have discovered my hair loves the mizani custom blend - kerafuse/hydrafuse combination. Did this last week and my hair came out very soft with lots of body to it and shine. Last night I tried Mizani renew Strength and it did ok but I tend to like the custom blend so far more. i can adjust the protein vs the moisture as needed. I also picked up a bottle of Porosity control after reading the porosity thread here and some other threads talking about hair porosity and I actually used it as a final rinse after the renew strength and it made my hair even softer than it was after JUST using the renew strength.

I plan on using the PC as a final rinse at least once a week. I am going to alternate the renew strength with the custom blend on a week to week basis.
Midweek I will use moisturefuse and I am sealing with carrot oil whenever i shampoo whether i dc or not.
i am about a month since my last relaxer-retouch and my new growth is coming in more on the left side of my head and on the crown area which can be a pain but I am dealing with it for as long as I can. I want to stretch at least till the end of April but depends on how the rest grows in. My hair is so coarse its really hard to stretch for any length of time and not get breakage starting.
I really like porosity control. I either mix a little in my conditioner or use it alone. CUTE BLOG !

I conditioner on dry hair with a mix of emergencee and humectress. I was not impressed with my hair. It seemed like I lost more hair than usual. My hair was not strong like the norm. I think the humectess was a little much. That was yesterday. Today I put the emergencee on dry hair and rinsed detangled with trader joe nourish spa. That did the trick. I'm going to use my emergencee full strength. I'm happy now. I'm at a 9.5

I really like porosity control. I either mix a little in my conditioner or use it alone. CUTE BLOG !
Thanks its still very much a wip but thanks for taking the time to take a peek
The porosity control definitely made my hair softer - I think i am on to something with thee custom blends though because it made such a major difference - the only time I have come close to getting that same result was after an aphogee 2 step treatment the THIRD time using it ..
:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Patricia, thank you so much for your help the other day, I asked about using protein and you suggested I start with the light protein. I did the Apoghee 2 step protein treatment yesterday and my hair responded really well to it; I was browsing through the relaxer strechter thread this morning and read that most ladies who are stretching also use protein regularly to prevent breakage at the demarcation line. Technically I'm transitioning but I don't want to BC so maybe protein is the way to go.

I DC'ed for 45 minutes after the protein treatment and used my aloe/glycerine/distilled water, Giovani leave-in and sealed with coconut oil; air dried and cornrowed.

do you have any other suggestions? should I use the 2 step treatment on a regular basis or would you recommend I buy a protein shampoo and conditioner?

thanks again

my hair tangles but it doesn't dry fast at all would you suggest I use Peroisity Control?
I know I'm doing way too much but I'm still in the learning phase.

Patricia, thank you so much for your help the other day, I asked about using protein and you suggested I start with the light protein. I did the Apoghee 2 step protein treatment yesterday and my hair responded really well to it; I was browsing through the relaxer strechter thread this morning and read that most ladies who are stretching also use protein regularly to prevent breakage at the demarcation line. Technically I'm transitioning but I don't want to BC so maybe protein is the way to go.

I DC'ed for 45 minutes after the protein treatment and used my aloe/glycerine/distilled water, Giovani leave-in and sealed with coconut oil; air dried and cornrowed.

do you have any other suggestions? should I use the 2 step treatment on a regular basis or would you recommend I buy a protein shampoo and conditioner?

thanks again

my hair tangles but it doesn't dry fast at all would you suggest I use Peroisity Control?

I know you directed your questions to Patricia, but we all help each other in this thread and I would like to offer some answers. First I want to make sure that it is the Aphogee 2STEP you are using and not the Aphogee 2 MINUTE treatment. If it is the 2 step treatment, then you can only use it every 6-8 weeks because it is a hardcore protein treatment. If you are using the 2 minute treatment, then you can use that safely once a week while you are transitioning because it is a mild protein treatment.

Now if you are talking about your new growth not drying fast at all, then that is normal. The relaxed ends tend to dry a lot faster because it's straighter and air passes over it easier and faster. Porosity control is not a bad thing when your hair is chemically altered for sure so if you still have some relaxed ends, then yes you can use the porosity control conditioner although naturals use it too. I don't think they need to use it as often as relaxed ladies do:look:. They can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Aggie,
Its the Aphogee 2STEP teatment, the first step was left on my hair and it hardened under the hardtop dryer, then the second step was a moisturising condi or something like that, this is really good to know because I would have been in some serious trouble.

my NG dries much faster then the relaxed ends, I have about 5 inches of relaxed ends still so I've got a long way to go.

thank you so much, because I almost messed up my hair with the 2step Aphogee

Hi Friends - just checkin' in - did a prepoo/dry hair dc with a combo of AO HSR/GPB - shampooed hair with Kenra MS and followed up with Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor - feelin' pretty good!!! I would give it a 10!

Thanks Aggie,
Its the Aphogee 2STEP teatment, the first step was left on my hair and it hardened under the hardtop dryer, then the second step was a moisturising condi or something like that, this is really good to know because I would have been in some serious trouble.

my NG dries much faster then the relaxed ends, I have about 5 inches of relaxed ends still so I've got a long way to go.

thank you so much, because I almost messed up my hair with the 2step Aphogee

This is quite odd..:perplexed unless the water from the NG is draining onto the relaxed hair. I know when I am air drying my hair, my relaxed ends dry super fast compared to my new growth. Hmmm, I hope someone else has an answer for this one as it has me a little baffled. Try porosity condtrol conditioner and see if that helps.

thanks again

Wow I'm very happy the 2 step worked out for you. I use protein weekly. The 2 step protein treatment is every 2 months only treatment. Its to strong to use weekly. It seems like your hair needed the heavy treatment to start. The aphogee 2 min reconstructor is a milder type protein and it can be used weekly but be sure to monitor cause you can always change it to every other week. The porosity control is also a good product. I add a couple tablespoons to my conditioner to keep the PH balanced(helps to smooth cuticles and helps your hair accepts the right amount of moisture and protein). Yeah take it slow and pay attention to what your hair likes. Let us know when you shampoo again and what products you use!

Hi Friends - just checkin' in - did a prepoo/dry hair dc with a combo of AO HSR/GPB - shampooed hair with Kenra MS and followed up with Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor - feelin' pretty good!!! I would give it a 10!
Where did you buy your dumb blond? Did you have to DC afterward? Congrats! your hair loving the boost of protein you giving

So I used up the last of my Jheri Redding yesterday. I ended up doing the treatment yesterday instead. I'll be using eggs from now on until I can get my hands on some more JR. Anyway my hair feels great, thick, strong and moisturised! I moisturised with some WN Moisturising Finishing lotion which I am growing to absolutely love. My hair feels like silk when I apply it. Sprayed on a bit of S-Curl and rubbed a dime sized amount of Le Kair Natural Shea butter cholesterol cream throughout and on the ends of my hair. I am loving this shea butter cream too and the smell. I am very pleased with the results. Dare I say a 10?!!!

So I forgot I was actually in the challenge..but I've been keeping up with the love of protein...go figure :)

As of now I'm DC'ing with Redken Extreme...I think I'm obsessed with the strength and thickness I gain from the use of protein. I've been using poo about once a week ad honestly the only ones that make my hair feel dreamy are JASON super thick and Aphogee for Damaged Hair. I'm not into wasting products especially since I went way overboard with PJism last year so I have to use all the poo's I have.

I've been experimenting by using a harsh poo followed by a rich conish and it works ok about a 6-7 mostly...nothing compared to my faves. I'm slowly but surely cutting down the stash.

I've been MT'ing daily...no combing and using Alter Ego once a week to minimize the shedding. So far so great! I don't want to relax anytime soon, so hopefully this extra strength will protect my demarcation lines until after the summer...hopefully. I would love to rock Bantu Knot Sets and Braidouts for the whole summer to disguise the texture differences.

I'm going to henna after I rinse this stuff out and wash aftewards with something...I'll post after I finish all of that!

So I forgot I was actually in the challenge..but I've been keeping up with the love of protein...go figure :)

As of now I'm DC'ing with Redken Extreme...I think I'm obsessed with the strength and thickness I gain from the use of protein. I've been using poo about once a week ad honestly the only ones that make my hair feel dreamy are JASON super thick and Aphogee for Damaged Hair. I'm not into wasting products especially since I went way overboard with PJism last year so I have to use all the poo's I have.

I've been experimenting by using a harsh poo followed by a rich conish and it works ok about a 6-7 mostly...nothing compared to my faves. I'm slowly but surely cutting down the stash.

I've been MT'ing daily...no combing and using Alter Ego once a week to minimize the shedding. So far so great! I don't want to relax anytime soon, so hopefully this extra strength will protect my demarcation lines until after the summer...hopefully. I would love to rock Bantu Knot Sets and Braidouts for the whole summer to disguise the texture differences.

I'm going to henna after I rinse this stuff out and wash aftewards with something...I'll post after I finish all of that!
Glad to hear you still hanging in. Keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back