Poohbear has decided to loc for the same reasons I want a texturizer/relaxer...

How many of you have gotten to the edge of that relaxer tub and jumped?

• Neva eva! I love my nappy/kinky/coliy natural hair and wouldn't trade it for Ed McMann.

Votes: 78 47.6%
  • I've bought a relaxer/made an appointment but I couldn't do it.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • I didn't do it but I think about it a lot...I might even go into isles and stare at the relaxer tub.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I plan to do it soon.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I did it and am happy with my decision.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I did it and I regret it.

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters

cmw45

So it has been one year and my hair has grown out considerably...

OT: :naughty: Before you say anything Dimplaz, your pics aren't up yet either and mine are coming so there!

...but I am a still a student, getting ready to enter my senior year and I don't have the time to sit and do it like I did over the summer, or last year when it was short...and I am really worried that waiting so long to detangle is going to cause tangling/breakage and prevent my hair from getting even longer.

I love how thick my hair is and how it feels, smells, and taste (JK)...but I'm worried that I don't have the time to be natural.:nono::nono:

Any thoughts?

Poohbear: Didn't mean to shout you out...but I am so tired and really just wanted to Ditto what you posted!

I didn't have the time or patience to be natural after I graduated from college. Texlaxing was a great in between for me. I can wash and go curly without too much trouble and I can get a straight look without too much heat. I think that you'll like it and it'll make your life easier.

I have to be honest when i'm frustrated with my hair, the thought of relaxing/texturizing can cross my mind. However, I know i really don't want to make that commitment to chemicals again. So when i'm frustrated, i style my hair so it becomes out of sight and out of mind! This summer, I've done weaves, braid extensions, and now i love box braids using my own hair. These styles allow to me to have hair that i just wake up and go! I'm going through this phase where I hate fussing with my hair. So,try a style that will allow you to hide your hair so you can give yourself more time to think what you really want to do with your hair.

good luck!

I have to be honest when i'm frustrated with my hair, the thought of relaxing/texturizing can cross my mind. However, I know i really don't want to make that commitment to chemicals again. So when i'm frustrated, i style my hair so it becomes out of sight and out of mind! This summer, I've done weaves, braid extensions, and now i love box braids using my own hair. These styles allow to me to have hair that i just wake up and go! I'm going through this phase where I hate fussing with my hair. So,try a style that will allow you to hide your hair so you can give yourself more time to think what you really want to do with your hair.

good luck!

I wanted to do this too...but this whole broke college student thing is a hinderance...I'm really gonna try to wait it out until I can get a weave/braids/twists...but if I am stuggling this much in December when it should be a good deal longer...I can't say that I won't texturize. Because it is looking more and more like the solution for me.

I've been natural for many years and I'm not a person who likes to do my hair. I am happy wearing buns to work everyday and the occasional wash n go on the weekends. I do go through periods when I need a change or when I don't even want to take the time to do the little bit of styling that I do. When this happens I usually go to braids for awhile. I understand your frustration as a college student though. Braids can be expensive. I do my own, but not everyone can do that. Have you considered learning to braid, so you can hook yourself up? That way you wouldn't have to deal with your hair for awhile.

Your hair is at a great length! Have you tried twisting or box braiding your own hair?

Jasmine, the password isn't working on your new updates! I want to see your year 3 updates:grin:, please help.

ETA: Nevermind...thanks for fixing it Jasmine.

I ticked No.3 - it does cross my mind.

Right now i am at this awkward length. The front doesn't fit into a ponytail so i can't just pull it back for a low maintainance style.

My hair is very curly/spiraly and so knots very easily. This also means airdrying is out of the question.

I hate extensions of any kind so if i do natural twists they take me like 5 hours to do and last only 2 weeks. I then have to spend 2 hours combing very carefully, washing and then combing very carefully again. Its just so time consuming just to have no particular style at the end of it.

I also don't like the way wash n go's look on me right now.

So...i am wearing half wigs for now but would love to wear a full wig but i don't know where sells wigs for big heads!!!:sad:

Sorry, i had to have a moan.

I was natural for two years before I texlaxed (I texlaxed in October 2006). I wanted to be sure that it was really what I wanted, so I spent about 6 months in braids/weaves till I finally made up my mind. I haven't regretted it at all. In fact, my hair has grown out nicely since I relaxed.

OT: :naughty: Before you say anything Dimplaz, your pics aren't up yet either and mine are coming so there!

...but I am a still a student, getting ready to enter my senior year and I don't have the time to sit and do it like I did over the summer, or last year when it was short...and I am really worried that waiting so long to detangle is going to cause tangling/breakage and prevent my hair from getting even longer.

I love how thick my hair is and how it feels, smells, and taste (JK)...but I'm worried that I don't have the time to be natural.:nono::nono:

Any thoughts?

Poohbear: Didn't mean to shout you out...but I am so tired and really just wanted to Ditto what you posted!
No problem. ;) I'm surprised at the 2 threads that have developed from my original thread about getting locs! :)

I'm not dissapointed with having natural hair...I'm just tired of styling it, combing it, and manipulating it. It would be different if I could just leave my hair alone but I can't! :lol: Even though locs involves manipulating it into a loc/rope-like pattern, I only have to do this (retwist the new growth) every 1-2 months. Getting locs seems like the best option for me since I want to stay natural and since I never had the desire to go back to relaxers or chemicals. See, I know if I got a relaxer or texturizer, I still wouldn't leave my hair alone, so no chemicals for me anymore. 2004 will be the last time I ever have those chemicals touch my hair and scalp. I went natural to stay away from chemicals. Anyway, wearing locs will also allow me to leave my hair alone (since I have hand in fro disease and like to play with my hair TOO MUCH) and it will allow me to focus on myself. As I thought about my decision to loc, I will still be able to do some hairstyles. Styles will be easier for me since I won't have to detangle or comb it anymore. While wearing my hair in a shrunken fro was fine, I also wanted length with my natural hair. I just know that even if my loose natural hair would have reached bra-strap length when stretched, my hair would still shrink into a 2 inch teenie weenie afro. It's that shrinky and light as a feather!

ETA: In your poll, I voted for this option: "Neva eva! I love my nappy/kinky/coliy natural hair and wouldn't trade it for Ed McMann."

Last edited:
I checked number 5 -- I did it and I'm happy with it. I relaxed at age 32, after being natural for ten years. I had finally reached a stage where I had the time and money to properly care for relaxed hair. I also found myself coming out of my militant "natural-hair-is-more-righteous" phase that I had adopted in my early 20's and came to see the beauty in all hair types, not just natural hair. (Yes...I was one of those folks who used to look down her nose at relaxed heads and now I am one!)

I chose the the third option. The knots are really killing me right now. If it doesn't improve I can see it being a hindrance to gaining length. I'm going to give myself to the end of the year. Then it's either relax or use heat.

I didn't have the time or patience to be natural after I graduated from college. Texlaxing was a great in between for me. I can wash and go curly without too much trouble and I can get a straight look without too much heat. I think that you'll like it and it'll make your life easier.

I haven't had a relaxer since June 7, so I am how many weeks post? Almost three months. The new growth is incredible but I did not regret relaxing because my stylist only relaxes 75% even though I wanted bone straight. Didn't know any better.:blush:

But I am so happy that I got it because wash and gos require less time.

I :love: my texlaxed hair. It's everything I ever wanted from my hair. I also love that 100% natural is never more than a pair of scissors away. :)

Any thoughts?

Well you know what's best for your hair so do what you see fit. You don't owe an explanation to anybody. I'm approaching my one year mark in about 2 weeks and I really beginning to think I'm in it for the long haul. It took me a while to get used to it but now I love my hair. :love: I got it colored yesterday. I'm gonna post some pics for y'all when I get home. Let us know what you decide and be sure to post pictures!!!

I checked number 5 -- I did it and I'm happy with it. I relaxed at age 32, after being natural for ten years. I had finally reached a stage where I had the time and money to properly care for relaxed hair. I also found myself coming out of my militant "natural-hair-is-more-righteous" phase that I had adopted in my early 20's and came to see the beauty in all hair types, not just natural hair. (Yes...I was one of those folks who used to look down her nose at relaxed heads and now I am one!)

Mature honest answer!:yep:

THank you for the super honest anwser!

I chose the the third option. The knots are really killing me right now. If it doesn't improve I can see it being a hindrance to gaining length. I'm going to give myself to the end of the year. Then it's either relax or use heat.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going try the oil rinse method to see how that helps. I have noticed less knots when I wash my hair less and just conditioner wash instead (hair has a lot more of the natural oils?) And the only oil or product I put in my hair is Shea butter.

No problem. ;) I'm surprised at the 2 threads that have developed from my original thread about getting locs! :)

I'm not dissapointed with having natural hair...I'm just tired of styling it, combing it, and manipulating it. It would be different if I could just leave my hair alone but I can't! :lol: Even though locs involves manipulating it into a loc/rope-like pattern, I only have to do this (retwist the new growth) every 1-2 months. Getting locs seems like the best option for me since I want to stay natural and since I never had the desire to go back to relaxers or chemicals. See, I know if I got a relaxer or texturizer, I still wouldn't leave my hair alone, so no chemicals for me anymore. 2004 will be the last time I ever have those chemicals touch my hair and scalp. I went natural to stay away from chemicals. Anyway, wearing locs will also allow me to leave my hair alone (since I have hand in fro disease and like to play with my hair TOO MUCH) and it will allow me to focus on myself. As I thought about my decision to loc, I will still be able to do some hairstyles. Styles will be easier for me since I won't have to detangle or comb it anymore. While wearing my hair in a shrunken fro was fine, I also wanted length with my natural hair. I just know that even if my loose natural hair would have reached bra-strap length when stretched, my hair would still shrink into a 2 inch teenie weenie afro. It's that shrinky and light as a feather!

ETA: In your poll, I voted for this option: "Neva eva! I love my nappy/kinky/coliy natural hair and wouldn't trade it for Ed McMann."

And I think that this is good to point out. There are a lot of different reasons that people go natural. I went natural not to avoid chemicals, but because when I first BC'd back in May I hated the look, idea, and even the thoughts of my natural hair. It physicall disgusted me. And I scheduled a texturizer for the next day. I took me the day after the texturizer to realise that I had a problem I needed to work through, and thus the bc four months later. I don't have this problem anymore. I think my natural hair is gorgeous. And if I got a texturizer it wouldn't be because I wasn't happy with my natural hair, but that the idea of having unhealty natural hair for the sake of having natural hair doesn't work for me either!

I selected the third option. I just found how to combat the knots and tangles so that's no longer my issue.

My problem is that I am styles challeged. I want to have a polished, sexy and mature look for everday and not have to use fake hair. I also want hair that frames my face. I think as I reach my final goal of BSL, I can wear stretched styles that will frame my face. I don't think I have the option with my length and natural hair but I do have the option with it straightened (and I don't have the patience to flat iron my hair).

After I reached my 1 year anniversary in August, I decided that I would never go back to chemicals; HOWEVER, I am currently wearing it straight. I will alternate between wearing it straight (done every 2 weeks) or having it braided (plan to keep for a month or two at a time).

I had a big issue with detangling my hair and also felt like I was going to eventually end up losing more hair than I was keeping. Wearing it straight or in braids allows me to take better care of it. I can also wear more protective styles while it is straight (I DO NOT flat iron every day). Maybe once it grows out and down more, I will switch back to wearing more natural styles.

I selected the third option. I just found how to combat the knots and tangles so that's no longer my issue.

My problem is that I am styles challeged. I want to have a polished, sexy and mature look for everday and not have to use fake hair. I also want hair that frames my face. I think as I reach my final goal of BSL, I can wear stretched styles that will frame my face. I don't think I have the option with my length and natural hair but I do have the option with it straightened (and I don't have the patience to flat iron my hair).

How did you fix your knot problem?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going try the oil rinse method to see how that helps. I have noticed less knots when I wash my hair less and just conditioner wash instead (hair has a lot more of the natural oils?) And the only oil or product I put in my hair is Shea butter.

I'm going to try that too. I've been cowashing more lately and that helps too.

I'm finally learning how to moisturize my natural hair and it makes the journey better. Now I just wish I could get 12" overnight. :perplexed I know, I know.

But seriously, I want enough length to be able to wear the cute wash and go.

How did you fix your knot problem?

I realized that I wasn't using enough conditioner on my ends while air drying and after it has dried. Once I started concentrating on my ends after my hair has been detangled, the tangles and knots went away. Also, I just discovered a few days ago that my hair didn't knot up at all during my last wash as I put about a tablespoon of red palm butter in my rinse out conditioner.

And I think that this is good to point out. There are a lot of different reasons that people go natural. I went natural not to avoid chemicals, but because when I first BC'd back in May I hated the look, idea, and even the thoughts of my natural hair. It physically disgusted me. And I scheduled a texturizer for the next day. I took me the day after the texturizer to realise that I had a problem I needed to work through, and thus the bc four months later. I don't have this problem anymore. I think my natural hair is gorgeous. And if I got a texturizer it wouldn't be because I wasn't happy with my natural hair, but that the idea of having unhealty natural hair for the sake of having natural hair doesn't work for me either!
Yep. This is so true. :yep:

Back