Poohbear has decided to loc for the same reasons I want a texturizer/relaxer...

How many of you have gotten to the edge of that relaxer tub and jumped?

• Neva eva! I love my nappy/kinky/coliy natural hair and wouldn't trade it for Ed McMann.

Votes: 78 47.6%
  • I've bought a relaxer/made an appointment but I couldn't do it.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • I didn't do it but I think about it a lot...I might even go into isles and stare at the relaxer tub.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I plan to do it soon.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I did it and am happy with my decision.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I did it and I regret it.

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
I'm somewhere between the 1st and 3rd option, I plan to stay natural but I have thought about texturizing quite a few times. I'm not going to relax or texturize again though, my nape can't tolerate chemicals or heat!

I was natural for 2 years. Then relaxed.

And regretted it ever since.

Hence I grew it out and then eventually BC'd

I'm natural for now, but if this natural nappy head of mine don't start showing some length by next year, I don't know what I'm going to do!

I think most naturals would have an easier time if they found a good natural stylist to help w/hair care. Most of the people I know who stopped relaxing frequented the salon while relaxed and then stopped once natural making it hard on them. I say find a good stylist but try different styles on your own as well to give yourself time to learn about your hair.

I choose 1..
From the age of 12/13 until 2005 I used chemicals....I can never go back ...my hair has never thrived with any type of perm ... even kiddy perms left my hair over processed...The only way for me to obtain healthy hair is to remain natural ..this is for life.

I was natural all the way until my senior year of college. I found it to be a hassle to do my hair for the many job interviews I had to go on. Plus I wanted a change, so I relaxed. I don't regret it at all, but I hope to go back natural one day.

I think most naturals would have an easier time if they found a good natural stylist to help w/hair care. Most of the people I know who stopped relaxing frequented the salon while relaxed and then stopped once natural making it hard on them. I say find a good stylist but try different styles on your own as well to give yourself time to learn about your hair.

I think this is VERY true! I was in the salon once every 6 weeks! But I was a rich hs student then :grin:

I don't want to be redundant but I really appreciate the honesty of people's responses to this question and the non-judgemental answers.

I have said a few times in the past (in case anyone ever noticed, sorry for repeating myself) that I have been toying with the idea of getting a relaxer for the past several months (honestly, since last November). I am too afraid to take the plunge because it's been so long that my hair has been relaxer free - over 7 years - and I'm afraid of it going back to what it was before. On the other hand, I feel like Spelmanlocks - I really want a different look. I am hoping to make a definitive decision by the end of the month. By then I'll know what my finances are looking like, too, so I can be sure what I can actually afford.

I don't want to be redundant but I really appreciate the honesty of people's responses to this question and the non-judgemental answers.

I have said a few times in the past (in case anyone ever noticed, sorry for repeating myself) that I have been toying with the idea of getting a relaxer for the past several months (honestly, since last November). I am too afraid to take the plunge because it's been so long that my hair has been relaxer free - over 7 years - and I'm afraid of it going back to what it was before. On the other hand, I feel like Spelmanlocks - I really want a different look. I am hoping to make a definitive decision by the end of the month. By then I'll know what my finances are looking like, too, so I can be sure what I can actually afford.

ITA.
If you pray, do that...if you don't, I'll do it for you. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.:yep:

ITA.
If you pray, do that...if you don't, I'll do it for you. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.:yep:

Thank you so much Cmw, that is so kind of you to say. :bighug:
I really appreciate you even starting this thread - I think that that was very brave of you and real, too. I do pray, but I definitely welcome prayers on my behalf. Again, God (and finances!) willing, I will take pictures of my hair at the end of this month so that I can really see the before and after if I do go with relaxing it.

By the way, Ms Lala, I really and totally agreed with your post. :yep: As much as I have considered getting a relaxer, I have been blessed with the fortune of having found a great natural stylist in my city. I haven't been to her in a while because my money is funny but when things settle down in my life I hope to go back to her. Interestingly enough, she was natural for decades and just recently got a relaxer. So I may actually go to her for my relaxer if I get one, or for styles and hair care if I stay natural.

Maybe that's why it wasn't so hard for me to care for my natural hair. I was never a salon goer when I had relaxed hair. Either my mom or I did my relaxed hair. :yep:

I was natural for 2.5 years and decided this year to texlax. So far, so good. I really have no compaints at all.

The reason I did it was lack of patience when it came to dealing with my hair. I like to be able to spend time with the DC, but when it came to styling that just seemed to take forever. I have 4b hair, and I will not lie it wasn't easy. I grew it and never wore it out. I came to the decision, am I hanging on to to my natural hair to make a point or am I enjoying my hair, I found out I wasn't enjoying my hair, and decided, I really can't let my hair rule me so I texlaxed.

Hair004-1.jpg
Picture103.jpg

I have purchased a relaxer but didn't use it so trashed it a year later.
I plan to relax at waist length I would do it now but I think putting together a Reggie would take at least half the time my natural Reggie took and I don't have money or patience for a 6 - 12 month trial and error fiasco lol I'm just finally confident with my natural hair Reggie I already exceeded my promise to myself and dermatologist that I'd stay natural 5 years but it's only been healthy 2

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to stay natural until further notice. lmbo. I might feel different once my hair is near waist length because that's a lotta weight but for now I'm enjoying the kinky life.

The thought of chemicals possibly seeping into my scalp just erks me. I have a difficult time with my natural hair but no way in hell I would put a relaxer near my hair again. As humans we are exposed to enough hazards so going out your way to put something so toxic on your head is crazy to me. I used to do it too but I was not educated on what the harm was I know better now.

I have a girlfriend going natural now and for the 20 years I have known her she has gone to a salon to do most of her primary styling. I didn't even know she knew how to do her hair at all. But with our last conversation she stated she did her hair sometimes :look:

I want her to succeed but ummm I'm thinking, naw I can't see this happening unless she just stays in extensions for her natural life. But perhaps she will be a straight haired natural and get her hair straightened at a salon on a regular basis.

Honestly, I'm just watching to see how this turns out.

Who bumped this 4 year old thread!? I saw my name in the thread title and was like, "What's going on!?"

Just to update: I unraveled those starter locs after 5 weeks! I was not patient enough and hated the shrinkage and really didn't know what I was doing. Plus, I like having loose natural hair better.

Poohbear I like seeing old threads being bumped for several reasons. What I like the most is seeing how people have progressed and changed during their HHJ. TBH you're one of the people on the board I pay the most attention to. You're hair type seems so similar to mine, even down to the straigh-ish hair texture you have in the front. I haven't relaxed straight in 2 years almost to the day but Aug '10 I did texturize thinking it would make life easier. The only time I can tell is when it's wet making the curls actually clump.

I don't want to relax but my hair is this kinky straight texture in the front and back of my head. Those sections have the least amount of breakage and retain moisture so easily but I know I'll never-ever be able to do a wash and go, and I'm still trying to get styles looking right. I feel like the last two years were a waste of time almost because of my crazy textures, so eventually I'll have to stay straight or in updo's. For now I'm focused on health and length. I won't revisit the idea of relaxing/texturizing until I'm at least full APL.

My hair was healthy relaxed I decided to transition out of curiosity. I saw what my hair could look like, the texture, strength, thickness etc. I self-relaxed and styled, times were easier then but even though it's crazy looking I still adore the softness and fluffiness.

Poohbear I like seeing old threads being bumped for several reasons. What I like the most is seeing how people have progressed and changed during their HHJ. TBH you're one of the people on the board I pay the most attention to. You're hair type seems so similar to mine, even down to the straigh-ish hair texture you have in the front. I haven't relaxed straight in 2 years almost to the day but Aug '10 I did texturize thinking it would make life easier. The only time I can tell is when it's wet making the curls actually clump.

I don't want to relax but my hair is this kinky straight texture in the front and back of my head. Those sections have the least amount of breakage and retain moisture so easily but I know I'll never-ever be able to do a wash and go, and I'm still trying to get styles looking right. I feel like the last two years were a waste of time almost because of my crazy textures, so eventually I'll have to stay straight or in updo's. For now I'm focused on health and length. I won't revisit the idea of relaxing/texturizing until I'm at least full APL.

My hair was healthy relaxed I decided to transition out of curiosity. I saw what my hair could look like, the texture, strength, thickness etc. I self-relaxed and styled, times were easier then but even though it's crazy looking I still adore the softness and fluffiness.

Rina88 - Wow @ the bolded parts! That's how my hair is too! As my hair got longer, the front/top part would be the straightest section and the rest would be all shrinky and tightly coiled. But the nape area and sides would be silker than the rest of my hair. I can never get wash 'n gos to look right either. The crown and back of my hair would flatten out and shrink up which I hated.

I used to have trouble getting my hair to "look right" in natural styles as well. I still do sometimes, especially if I try to airdry or wet style which I do not do anymore. But it got easier as my hair got longer and after practicing different techniques with my hair for certain styles.

Protective style the hell out of it...Lately I've been in weaves.....wigs ( self made) and I havent worn my FLW out yet but I'm building up to it!

Im in school with 6 classes myself= no time at all to twist and style this 4a/b like I need to....so ATM I've been sporting a wig I made over the summer....it fits my specifications to a T.... then its going to be braids for nov-dec then wigs again.....ive got 4 more semesters

I too have thought about Texlaxing but I do love my hair 70% of the time....so the other 30% I just pray and say I've been through the whole transition....bc and beyond and I dont wanna do it again no time soon!

BUT catch me at the wrong time and something might happen!!! I'm impulsive..dont judge me

The thought of chemicals possibly seeping into my scalp just erks me. I have a difficult time with my natural hair but no way in hell I would put a relaxer near my hair again. As humans we are exposed to enough hazards so going out your way to put something so toxic on your head is crazy to me. I used to do it too but I was not educated on what the harm was I know better now.

Kinkyhairlady What are the reported harms of relaxers other than the possibility of scalp burns? Just curious - FYI, I am natural.

I have a girlfriend going natural now and for the 20 years I have known her she has gone to a salon to do most of her primary styling. I didn't even know she knew how to do her hair at all. But with our last conversation she stated she did her hair sometimes :look:

I want her to succeed but ummm I'm thinking, naw I can't see this happening unless she just stays in extensions for her natural life. But perhaps she will be a straight haired natural and get her hair straightened at a salon on a regular basis.

Honestly, I'm just watching to see how this turns out.

faithVAI was the exact opposite. When relaxed, I would only go for touch-ups. I did my own hair in between. But this natural thing has me stumped.

@Rina88 - Wow @ the bolded parts! That's how my hair is too! As my hair got longer, the front/top part would be the straightest section and the rest would be all shrinky and tightly coiled. But the nape area and sides would be silker than the rest of my hair. I can never get wash 'n gos to look right either. The crown and back of my hair would flatten out and shrink up which I hated.

I used to have trouble getting my hair to "look right" in natural styles as well. I still do sometimes, especially if I try to airdry or wet style which I do not do anymore. But it got easier as my hair got longer and after practicing different techniques with my hair for certain styles.

PoohbearRina88Guess I'm a member of the club, too. I have a silky nape, silky sides, straighter in the front & coarse & kinky in the crown. It is the reason why I'm always just a step away from going back to chemicals.

@Poohbear that's why I'm waiting until I even entertain making any rash decisions. I figure styling will be easier with more length and practice just as you said so I'm not giving up yet. I'm so glad I'm not the only one going through this, it's just our luck to transition only to find we have sections that look like under-processed relaxers. :spinning:

Last edited:
Back