Poohbear has decided to loc for the same reasons I want a texturizer/relaxer...

How many of you have gotten to the edge of that relaxer tub and jumped?

• Neva eva! I love my nappy/kinky/coliy natural hair and wouldn't trade it for Ed McMann.

Votes: 78 47.6%
  • I've bought a relaxer/made an appointment but I couldn't do it.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • I didn't do it but I think about it a lot...I might even go into isles and stare at the relaxer tub.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I plan to do it soon.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I did it and am happy with my decision.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I did it and I regret it.

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
[USER=30119 said:
nakialovesshoes[/USER];14333865]

@faithVAI was the exact opposite. When relaxed, I would only go for touch-ups. I did my own hair in between. But this natural thing has me stumped.

I remember you said you cut your hair so what's causing you problems? Is it the length? Unable to style it? Most of us have had a learning curve to overcome so I definitely understand. I am still learning. Some times I'm enjoying it and sometimes not.

I remember you said you cut your hair so what's causing you problems? Is it the length? Unable to style it? Most of us have had a learning curve to overcome so I definitely understand. I am still learning. Some times I'm enjoying it and sometimes not.

faithVA This isn't my 1st time natural. Last time, I basically had to wet my hair daily to keep it from being dry as heck. I never could get to a place where I was satisfied with my moisture level. It was hard work vs. having a relaxer.

It took me a long time to figure out what worked for my relaxed hair but once I did I was on auto-pilot with my routine & my hair thrived. I just don't know if I want to commit that same time to finding a routine/products, plus learning how to style my natural hair.

Honestly, I'm lazy. If I have to work too hard at something, I usually go the other way. As the other ladies say on here, please don't judge me.

Please relax if it stresses you. Stress will jack your hair up. For me, relaxed hair was so much easier. I paid less money on products and I use to use a low amount of heat to straiten. You are your own judge. No one can make you do your hair in a way that makes you unhappy.:nono: This is a place of advice, not a place of judgment.

[USER=30119 said:
nakialovesshoes[/USER];14335913]@faithVA This isn't my 1st time natural. Last time, I basically had to wet my hair daily to keep it from being dry as heck. I never could get to a place where I was satisfied with my moisture level. It was hard work vs. having a relaxer.

It took me a long time to figure out what worked for my relaxed hair but once I did I was on auto-pilot with my routine & my hair thrived. I just don't know if I want to commit that same time to finding a routine/products, plus learning how to style my natural hair.

Honestly, I'm lazy. If I have to work too hard at something, I usually go the other way. As the other ladies say on here, please don't judge me.

I'm not judging you. I'm too selfish to be that invested in other people's stuff :lol:

Well fortunately by being natural at the moment you can decide to go either way without a loss. Hopefully you will figure out soon which way you want to go.

i know how you feel, thats the reason i relaxed
i loved my natural hair but if i have to spend a whole day JUST to wash/detangle/fix up my hair then uhhm thats a problem. so then i told my stylist i wanted to texlax so she texlaxed my hair and i loved that too but it was almost as tedious as my natural hair so after about 6months of texlaxing i told my stylist to just fully relax my hair. im so glad i did because managing my hair is so easy now and my hair doesnt relax bone straight so i still have quite a bit of texture left, i did a wash&go yesterday and ppl actually thought i was natural lol.
im a student and i dont have time to be spending on my hair like that. i set aside 1-2 hours each day to work out but i feel like hair isnt so important to the point where i should be setting aside a couple hours every week just to do it

i know how you feel, thats the reason i relaxed
i loved my natural hair but if i have to spend a whole day JUST to wash/detangle/fix up my hair then uhhm thats a problem. so then i told my stylist i wanted to texlax so she texlaxed my hair and i loved that too but it was almost as tedious as my natural hair so after about 6months of texlaxing i told my stylist to just fully relax my hair. im so glad i did because managing my hair is so easy now and my hair doesnt relax bone straight so i still have quite a bit of texture left, i did a wash&go yesterday and ppl actually thought i was natural lol.
im a student and i dont have time to be spending on my hair like that. i set aside 1-2 hours each day to work out but i feel like hair isnt so important to the point where i should be setting aside a couple hours every week just to do it

niqu92

Same here, almost exactly! Except it took me a little over 3 months to just fully relax it. I already set aside 1-2 hours to workout and as a newbie in the work world, I work a lot. There are only but so many hours a day. When it comes down to sleep, eat or manage my hair... sleeping and eating almost always beats hair.

ETA: I first went natural for fun, then it was to prove a point. After 2.5 years (and at least 6 months of knots and not retaining length), I started wondering who I was doing this for. To prove a point to the world? Puhleeaze! It's my hair, so I went on and did me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

I voted #3. Styling has been really rough for me, because I tried to wear it out. With my hair texture 4z with over 90% shrinkage, my hair is extremely hard to detangle, but it's very fine and fragile so I was losing hair by the handful. In the last 3 years of being natural, I have come to the realization that for me to retain as much length as possible, I either have to be in twists 24/7, or I have to wear my hair straight (aka relax it)... I lose too much with everything else...

I have been thinking about relaxing, but 1. I dont know a good stylist that can rollerset perfectly... If I relax I have to only rollerset.. I cant relax and use direct heat at the same time.... 2. I'm not sure I want to commit the money to it... 3. Most importantly, I'm not sure of of the long term health implications of hair relaxers .. not enough research yet.

Lucky for me, I just discovered that I could pull my twists into a bun.. My stretched hair is @ APL but because of my shrinkage, it always sits at my neck with everything else hanging on my head. I like the bun look now, so I'm staying in twists, natural and happy. I also found a very very simple regimen that works for me now without losing much hair so no complaints for now. Here is how i'm wearing it.

Attachments

• IMG_20111001_143106.jpg
    IMG_20111001_143106.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20111001_143126.jpg
    IMG_20111001_143126.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20111001_143134.jpg
    IMG_20111001_143134.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 18
Back