Paging everyone who's doing the 365-day challenge.

Re: Paging everyone who\'s doing the 365-day challe

I am almost at the end of my 365-day challenge. I would like to post my results:

Well In May 2003 These were my measurements
-Front: 8 3/8"
-Middle: Close to 9"
-Back: 6.1

I had two (1/2- 1") trims since then. Here are my feb 2004 Measurements (underprocessed):

-Front: 10" (my front grows extremely slow)
-Middle: 13"
-Back: 10"

Will post again in May after my corrective relaxer.

Nayambura, Thanks for the encouragement
Anky looks like you've retained a good amount of growth keep it up.

Re: Paging everyone who\'s doing the 365-day challenge.

[ QUOTE ]
BahamaMama said:
I'm doing this challenge, I have 8 more months to go (I got serious about growing my hair in August 2003). I really just wanted to get over my hump and get hair longer than I usually have by the end of the challenge.

But I am also in the 12/12 challenge which is another 365 day challenge and that one is more aggressive. I'll definitely beat my hump and have hair longer than ever before if I get 12 inches in 12 months!!

Let me just state for the record (so when I check back months and months from now), that as of today, December 18th 2003, I'm averaging 10 inches of natural hair on my head all around and currently 19 ? inches from hairline to ends while 3 inches away from bra-strap.

Until next check-in!

[/ QUOTE ]

As of today, April 25 2003, I am like 2 inches from bra-strap with 10-12 inches of hair, about 20 inches hairline to ends.

When I started the challenge 8 months ago (official date: August 26 2003), I had about 8 inches of hair- about 2 inches past shoulder-length. Bow the longest parts are 12 inches and close to bra-strap. I guess I have been getting average growth. But my hair had been bra-strap before when I was relaxed and my goal for this challenge is to have hair longer than I ever had before.

So in 4 months, August 26 2004, the end of my 365-day challenge (and one month before the end of the summer challenge), I hope to get: about 3 more inches, to be at least comfortably bra-strap if not 1-2 inches past, and 13-15 inches of hair, 23 inches hairline to ends.
4 warm, conducive-to-hair-growing months (fingers crosed)...
smirk.gif

Bahamamamma that's great, you grow girl.

Posting my revised regime:
Pre-shampoo:
Hot oil treatment w/ Avocado oil and ripe avocado esp on ends-under heat cap
Shampoo:
Jason Jojoba shampoo and conditioner
or Hair Therapy Lotus Flower Shampoo and conditioner(both of these smell deleicious)
lick.gif

Protein treatments:
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair(under dryer)
Aphogee Balancing Moisterizer
Aphogee Keratin intensive 2-minute reconstructor
Coconut milk (unsweetened) and lime juice freshly squeezed
Deep-Conditioning:(under heat cap 20mins)
Brentwood cholesterol conditoner
Lamaur bone marrow conditioner
Everday moisterizers
African Pride extra shine braid spray
Proclaim spray glosser
S-curl no-drip activator moisterizer
ORS olive oil sheen spray
Hair oils and creams alternating nights
Lano-Lustre cream
Wild Growth Hair Oil
Vitamins
Hair Formula 37 1 step 1 2 step 2 2x a week
Viviscal 2-3 everyday
Flax seed oil 2-3x/week
Fish oil, Vitamin A/D/E 2x/week
Spirulina everyday
Fo-Ti everyday
Geritol complete Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Calcium, everyday

Just a quick update, I will be braiding in about 2 weeks but I think I've got my hair in good condtion I've been deep cond with every wash and following my new regime along with excercising 5-6x/week, drinking 1.5 L of water everyday. I haven't straightened though at all these 2 months.
Keep the posts coming ladies. I'll update soon.

I forgot to measure my hair back in December, but here are measurements for March 22, 2004:

Measured twist out stretched hair:
Front hairline - 11.5 inches
Top head - 12 inches
back hair 8.5 inches

as of 6/6/04 wash and wear stretched (super coily/curly):
Front hairline:12
Top:12.5
back:9 to 9.25

Not much progress but I haven't really done anything to accelerate growth and twist out = stretched hair.

My new (and simple) regime:
Elucence MB Shampoo
Elucence MB Conditioner (rinsed out) or
Paul Mitchell The Detangler (if hair needs combing)
Elucence MB Conditioner as leave in
Africa's Best Hair oil
Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost for ends

When I need a deep conditioner I will either use:
Elucence Extended Miosture Repair Treatment or
Vitale Super Reconstructor once a week

Tigi Chocolate Head (1st of every month).

Trying a healthier diet (leaning towards vegan). Trying to exercise regularly.

My hair will either be in a ponytail a bun or braided or twisted (rarely).
I would like to do cornrows but I believe this causes breakage around my edges (no matter how loose the cornrow).

I'll update at the end of the month (if I remember).

Well I've gained 1-1.5 inches since my cut so I'm back on track and feeling good about my progress so far. I have rebraided, self-trimmed and am following my vitamin, excercise and moisterizing regime with NO EXCUSES. The results are really good if I keep this up it will be like I didn't have a set-back at all esp. that it's summer and hair always grows faster in the summer. So I'm just concentrating on reaching my 1st goal now then I'll figure out what to do next.
I'm glad to hear all the progress everyone is making, keep it up ladies we can do it.
Waiting to see more great posts.

hey ladies, how's everyone doing on the long hair journey? let us know keep us posted.

This challenge sounds interesting. I may have to jump on the bandwagon. I'm, already wearing a bun most days of the week and keeping my ends moisturized well. I've been co wasing for years, but I've been adding more natural oils, etc. since earlier this year. My hair is loving it. I'll be braiding soon, so this just might be the thing for me to do to really help me reach my goals.

I am going on this challenge starting 1st august. I want to retouch my new growth, then trim and off i go!!

Doing the 365 Challenge was how I started my healthy hair journey back in 2000. I thought this 1 year commitment would correct all my hair woes. And trust and believe, I had serious hair problems.

I learned about pre-shampoo treatments, deep/light/leave-in conditioners, self trimming, seamess combs..I was like a kid in a candy store. I learned to "listen" to my hair and learned it's likes and dislikes. I also got my stylist onboard as to how I was on a "healthy hair challenge" and what her role would be. I bring my own combs, conditioner, color, protein and blowdry leave-in to her when I get my touch-ups. She let's me know if I need a trim-but she does not do my trims--I do. We're on the same page about my hair.

As the close of that 1st year came around I realized that for me, this challenge was not just for 365 days. It had become the way I handled my hair. It was second nature. Healthy hair is a continuing quest for me. I won't slip back into those old ways. I like this healthy hair too much. And it likes me!
smile.gif

And.... oh yah..I am on my (continuing) 365 Healthy Hair Challenge.
bouncy.gif

Hey ladies,
Just wanted to update I posted my revised regime, and now I'm trying to stick with it. I've been re-braiding every 2-2.5 months but I think I'm getting more growth steadily like 1.5" so I'm going to start taking down the braids and condtioning every 6 weeks, seems like alot more work but I'd rather do that than have another set-back. It would help with end dusting. BTW I've stayed away from heat since March 04 and my challenge is coming to it's year end 12/04.

Pre-shampoo:
Hot oil treatment w/ Avocado oil and ripe avocado esp on ends-under heat cap
Shampoo:
Jason Jojoba shampoo and conditioner
or Hair Therapy Lotus Flower Shampoo and conditioner(both of these smell deleicious)
Protein treatments:
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair(under dryer)
Aphogee Balancing Moisterizer
Aphogee Keratin intensive 2-minute reconstructor
Coconut milk (unsweetened) and lime juice freshly squeezed
Everday moisterizers
African Pride extra shine braid spray
Proclaim spray glosser
ORS olive oil sheen spray
Lano-Lustre cream
Wild Growth Hair Oil
Vitamins
Hair Formula 37 1 step 1 2 step 2 2x a week
Viviscal 2-3 everyday
Flax seed oil 2-3x/week
Fish oil, Vitamin A/D/E 2x/week
Spirulina everyday
Fo-Ti everyday
Geritol complete Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Calcium, everyday

ill join in too,, it wouldnt hurt but i think im on it now,

Ladies my 365 challenge is coming to an end, although I'm staying on the haircare journey for life I've run my course for the challenge officially by 12/04, if we can let's keep this thread going. This challenge is about commiting to a haircare plan to improve hair health and attain length without the pressure.
Let me know your opinions please.

I'm trying to cut down on the PJism.

Modified Regime:

Shampoo:
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner

Everday moisterizers baggie method
Surge plus 14
Lano-Lustre cream
Wild Growth Hair Oil

Vitamins
Hair Formula 37 1 step 1 2 step 2 1x a week
Viviscal 2 everyday
Flax seed oil 2-3x/week
Fish oil, Vitamin A/D/E, Spirulina, Fo-Ti, 2x/week
Geritol complete Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Calcium, every other day

Hi Lucia /images/graemlins/wave.gif
I've been wondering about leaving my 365-day challenge date in my signature b/c I haven't been aggressive at all about hair care. The tiredness that comes with pregnancy has moved haircare (and product purchasing) down the list of priorities. As it is, I had MASSIVE shedding concentrated at the top of my scalp in my early September. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Thank goodness the shedding stopped! I'm waiting for that hair growth spurt pregnant women are supposed to enjoy to kick in to help recover but, truthfully, I haven't been measuring my hair at all....

In the meantime, here's my current routine:

Modified Regimen:

<u>Shampoo</u>:
Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo (clarifier);
Ion moisturizing shampoo (smells like butterscotch /images/graemlins/lick.gif)(moisturizing)
<u>Deep-Conditioning</u>: In the past 12 months, I've done this twice /images/graemlins/look.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Aubrey Organics GPB (under heat cap 15 mins)
Followed by moisturizing conditioner (15 mins heat)
Followed by conditioner for slip - Motions Moisture Plus (30 mins, no heat)
<u>Otherwise - Regular Condition </u>:
Either Aubreys GPB or NACIDIT Olive Oil conditioner or NTM Conditioner (shower-length only)

<u>Everday moisterizers </u>:
baggie trick w/phonytail or a regular bun/2 buns
Salerm 21 sealed w/oil or glosser, or Asha's wonderful Platinum Pomade, or her equally wonderful Mane Attraction
Surge Plus 14 [not sure what, if anything, this has done w/r/t regrowing the shedded areas]
Castor oil (after daily shower rinse)
I miss WGO but my nose, its powers of smell enhanced by pregnancy, can't take it. /images/graemlins/barf.gif

<u>Vitamins</u>:
Viviscal 2 everyday (when I remember /images/graemlins/wink.gif)
Prenatal vitamin daily

Hey Nyambura,
I hope the nausea goes away. You've got a little while still, just keep taking care of yourself. Prenatal vitamins are great for hair and nail growth.
Congratz on your pregnancy.

Anymore challengers out there what's your goal for the new year, what new things are you doing, trying in your haircare or vitamin regime. I joined other challenges that fit in with what I need to concentrate on for my hair this year, the baggie, WSL 12/2005 and no checking length challenges.
Here's my New year's hair pledges:
1. Moisterizing more and using a baggie every day/night.
2. Trimming when necessary and staying away form scissor carrying hair assasins (aka hair stylists)
3. Retaining as much length as possible to acheive my goal of Waist length hair straightened at or before the end of 2005.
4. Keeping up with the no checking length challenge and not obsesing over each marker on my hair journey.
To all: Keep on growing and thinking positively because anything is possible with patience, knowledge and care.
Posting soon.

Last edited:

Lucia said:
Anymore challengers out there what's your goal for the new year, what new things are you doing, trying in your haircare or vitamin regime. I joined other challenges that fit in with what I need to concentrate on for my hair this year, the baggie, WSL 12/2005 and no checking length challenges.
Here's my New year's hair pledges:
1. Moisterizing more and using a baggie every day/night.
2. Trimming when necessary and staying away form scissor carrying hair assasins (aka hair stylists)
3. Retaining as much length as possible to acheive my goal of Waist length hair straightened at or before the end of 2005.
4. Keeping up with the no checking length challenge and not obsesing over each marker on my hair journey.
To all: Keep on growing and thinking positively because anything is possible with patience, knowledge and care.
Posting soon.

• what's your goal for the new year?

To finally reach brastrap (it's been a looooooooooooong time in coming). After that length, who knows? I'd also love to fully grow out the spot on my scalp that suffered stylist damage plus early-pregnancy shedding.

• what new things are you doing?

New ~ Surging and taking prenatal vits. And forbidding any SHS (or as you say, Lucia, "scissor-carrying assassins" :D) to hover anywhere near my hair. I want to start self-trimming.

Re-started ~ wearing a baggie 24/7, phonytail, Surging, rinsing daily, and using vaseline on my ends. Also using warm oil treatments.

• haircare or vitamin regimen?

Haircare ~ protective styles 24/7, daily rinsing, baggies, and vaseline
    Vitamins ~ prenatal vits and viviscal.

I wish everyone a blessed 2005 and Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Hello,
My official challenge start date will be January 12, 2005. I recently purchased the Ultra Black Hair UBH condish, and I am following the Cathy Howse plan for moisturizing and strengthening my hair. Right now my stretched hair is at a little past the bottom of my earlobes on each side, and about an inch from the bottom of my neck in the back. I am aiming for hair that will just skim my collarbone when stretched, and skim my shoulders in back when stretched by the end of 2005. The conditioner that I use contains a stimulant, so along with my low manipulation routine, that should do the trick. I DO take vitamins as well.

Hey ladies,
i just did my hair 2 weeks ago it's back in the braids again and it's haelthy and I made some more progress lengthwise. I didn't straighten but the natural progress is 1-2 inches. I don't do the actual official measurement until May b/c I'm on the no cheking lenght challenge until then.

Ladies it's almost over, we have 1.5 months left until Dec 2005. Wow this will be the end of all my challenges xcept for 1 the HP/TLBN challenge but that's just for fun I don't know if my hair will keep growing.
I've been keeping up with my regime and my hairs in a braided weave now so I can get myself to WSL, besides it's getting cold and this works really good for me.
Any updates?

Last edited:
Well I just re-braided, and I forgot to straighten a section to see, but natural growth was a good inch (1-1.5") including shrinkage sot I know it's more than than straight I haven't been using MTG like I should. I know I'll be real close to WSL in Dec but I'll be offically checking in Jan. Hopefully I'll be at my goal by then. Ldies time to update the new year is upon us

OK ladies my challenge will be over in 5 days officially but I wont officially measure until the braid up time is done that's jan feb

2006 year long bun challenge with 2 days of grace!!!!

Okay...the unique things about the challenge:

1. You can wear your hair in a bun, beehive, chignon, french roll or double buns or nubian knots.You may incorporate the baggie or phony bun.
2. You only take your hair down to shampoo and condition. No taking down at night ladies. You may spray and brush the edges daily if desired.
3. You may choose to alternate the ABOVE styles for variety at the time of the shampoo and conditioning AND BEST OF ALL:
4. You may check your 2006 calendar to select 2 days grace. This will allow you to let it all out for 2 special events and no more or just to measure the length. This should remove the feeling of hair claustrophobia. Knowing that you only have 2 days of grace will challenge you to select only the most important occasions to let your hair down.

My game plan: Since I use MTG: I have mixed up a dynamite leave in that incorporates the MTG, emu oil, hemp seed oil and aloe vera gel. Talking about cutting the MTG scent. Now for some of you, that are worried about any problem with the runniness, or the oiliness, it takes care of that, even using it on dry hair. Also I just added a drop of grapefruit oil. You may want to try the ylang ylang or neroli. I oil my ends with a blend of homemade oil and aloe vera gel to avoid the oily feel. For me this eliminates taking my hair down for up to a week without worrying about it drying out because it really makes the hair look shiny and sleek without feeling sticky or stiff. If you choose to shampoo every three days, this should do it for you too. I do not have to spray with water or moisturized using this. I can wear my scarf during the day or whip if off and know it is on point. I know I can get some good growth this way. I am focusing on maximizing my growth. So if you want to work out your game plan, come join the challenge. It is going to fun and successful. We can post growth attained at this time next year. Happy Holidays....bonjour

Back