Cathy Howse 365 day challenge

I started the 365 challenge in September 04. I have seen 2 inches in growth so far. I love her program. :) :) I do not use clarifying shampoo but I use the UBH deep con/UBH dew & UBH lotion creme moisturizer. I will post pics once I take out my sewn in weave.

I may join you guys if the braid thing doesn't work out for me. i got alot of breakage last time (this usually doesn't happen), and I'm not so sure I want to risk the braids again. I'm not a big protective styler, but I don't know about not trimming. Every other time I go to the salon, the hairdressers say "you really need a trim".

Shinka said:
there nothing particularly different. It just haveing a regimen laid out for you instead of making one. Most people made their hair regimens and got their hair knowledge from cathy howse years ago. so may not be as "exciting" now because most of her advice which use to be controversial is now somewhat common knowledge. I just know my hair grew the best with her products and her regimen 4 years ago. Through my cuts, natural hair etc and trying this and that. I just want go back to basics for success. She very basic and straight forward.

Laughing...cause ms.howse's book and products are what got me started on the road to better hair in the fall of '03 - I really feel I was clueless before then...then I found this site last spring...it just took things to the next level.

I think Ms. Howse is good for those needing basic knowledge. Everyone is not aware of this site - Lawd knows I wish I did two years ago..I'm sure I would be far more ahead of the hair on my head game than I am now...

Count me in too! I have been doing Cathy's Challenge since mid-November 04 and my hair is actually staying on my head!

I've been using her method (except I do protective styles and no heat) but not her products. I've had great progress with my hair which began as soon as I started washing every 3 days.

I recently bought her conditioner. I was using B7B oil mositurizer, but I gave it away. I plan to just spritz with water and apply Kemi oil to seal in the moisture. I used to use her methods. My hair was fine till I started listening to others. I plan to use her deep conditioner as my ONLY conditioner, because, like she sadi, conventional conditioners are often garbage. At least, that has been MY experience. The only thing that I have to do different is comb my hair while damp, at least. I can't pick through my hair when it is dry, or there will be hair everywhere.
I have before pics, so I will do a 6 month comparison, then the final update in January.

melodee said:
I may join you guys if the braid thing doesn't work out for me. i got alot of breakage last time (this usually doesn't happen), and I'm not so sure I want to risk the braids again. I'm not a big protective styler, but I don't know about not trimming. Every other time I go to the salon, the hairdressers say "you really need a trim".

Protective style have really helped my cut down on my trims. I have not trimmed since October and at my last relaxer the stylist said that I did not need a trim :eek:! This was a first for me!

Hair2day said:
I started the 365 challenge in September 04. I have seen 2 inches in growth so far. I love her program. :) :) I do not use clarifying shampoo but I use the UBH deep con/UBH dew & UBH lotion creme moisturizer. I will post pics once I take out my sewn in weave.

I am still using the Cathy Howse method. I shampoo my hair every 3 days with Herbal essence shampoo for color treated/damage hair. I deep condition with UBH deep conditioner after every shampoo. Then I sit under the hooded hair dryer for 20 minutes, rinse and apply porosity control conditioner or texture & tones conditioner for 5 mins, rinse out moisturizing conditioner & spray with dew( I RECENTLY RAN OUT OF DEW SO NOW I USE A STA SOF FRO) & let my hair air dry. Then flat iron entire head & add UBH lotion creme moisturizer daily until next shampoo day. I no longer flat iron hair-only on special events. I now air dry apply moisturizer and style in a protective bun using the baggie method. I really believe in her method it works. My hair was extremely brittle & dry prior to using her system. The protien conditioner is just what my color treated hair needed on get back on track & her lotion creme moisturizer is the best by far. I started the 365 challenge in September 2004 & as of January 2005 I have a total of 2 1/2 inches of growth! :D :D

Okay ladies, I've decided that the braids thing is not going to fly w/ me this winter. I experienced too much breakage probably as a result of too tight braids. And protective stying is okay, but I'm not a 365 bun girl. So it looks like I'll be giving CH a try. I will officially join when I receive and read the book.

Any updates????? After seeing Dana's progress pictures I was intrigued by this regime. God bless you all.

I have to update my photos, but since september my hair has grown a whole lot. In september my hair was about 2 inches. In about 6 months my hair has doubled in length, I have snipped a whole lot of damaged colored ends.I cut the back of my hair to make a bob because it was all the same length so it look thin in the back.

My hair is about 4-5 inches in length, the back about 2 inches for bob style, but whole head probably grew to 6 inches total without the cutting. So that's about 4 inches in 6 months, average 2/3 inch growth per month. I graduated to new roller size too ( definite indicator of growth). When I started the rollers I were using, I couldn't even wrap my hair once, it went half way around. Now my hair was wrapping 3 or 4 times around...( celebrate good times)

I use mostly cathy howse products (dew, creme, deep cond). I have to admit in the last 2 months I haven't deep condition as i should due to laziness. Result: my ends are crunchy freezy and awful :(.

So I'm getting back on track.

What I have been doing:
Washing and rollerset weekly: Mositurizing shampoo diluted, followed by instant a deep condition once a week. Then applied motions oil mositurizer or howse creme mositurizer, and hot six oil, rollerset and dried under bonnet. Daily I sprayed Dew and put motions mositurer on ends. Pinned curled hair loosely at night with scarf or bonnet. ( majority of sept-beg. january). I self-relaxed with motions mild lye every 6 weeks.

for Jan and most of February, I cw washed every other day and wore a fake bun or pony tail, with a baggie under it. it help me retain length also. I used stay so soft on all my hair and put nature blessings grease on pony tail length. I deep conditioned myabe once on these 2 months...I know bad. I self relaxed in Jan 8. after 6 weeks.

Most of March I airdried rollerset ( not nice to my ends, could be because I didn't deep condition this month :( ) and an occasional lazy wet bun. I relaxed in may after about 10 weeks.

I learned:
Airdry rollersets are not good for my colored treated ends, well I think. Since I didn't deep condition my "fragile colored ends) for three months that could be why they weren'y in great shape when I started to try airdry rollersets.

Heated rollersets really improved the condition of my hair, which is something I realized 2 years ago.

The baggie method is great, but my husband hates fake hair. So I guess I can't do it again until my hair gets long enough for a nice bun I can wear in public.

I can stretch relaxers. This is when the most length was gained.

My Plan,
Go back to my sept-dec regimen.

Wash once or twice a week with a diluted mositurizing shampoo.
Deep condition weekly: howse or mositurizing creme conditioner
Clarify every two weeks.
Rollerset with heat, once ends are revived or clipped try airdry rollersets.
Oil hair once after rollerset ( once or twice a week): hot six oil, organic olive oil spray, or castor oil
Mositurizer daily: motions oil moisturizer, carrot oil, howse creme.
Relaxers: use motions mild or regular every 10 weeks, going to try 12.

Half way to a year....hopefully another 3-4 inches :)... End of neck or Shoulder blades here I come.

I AM IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!I think,
Cathy is definitely the reason why I am here, her common sense approach helped me to understand why my hair was not in the best condition.
LCHF is Level 2 for me now. However I am in a dilemma as below

Cathy Howse:

Conditioner – Never used it, I could buy a bottle. Just a bit scared of all that protein!

Moisturizer- Never used it, I could buy a bottle

Airdrying – Are you nuts, been there? My hair is a dry crispy mess that then breaks. (Every 3 days I would have no hair)

Just Zinc – No way, having too much success popping 16 pills a day using my vitamin regimen

WHAT DO U THINK, CAN I STILL JOIN!!!

I do look after my hair, I use Keracare Humecto Con and Poo, every few days. Always deep con under hood dryer, I rotate between protein every week. I moisturize everyday, roller set and dry under a hooded dryer. Use no direct heat. I protective style my hair because after week 6 post relaxer I have no choice. I try to stretch to 12 weeks. Do you think I would benefit more by using her products I am willing to try anything(Except Airdrying!!!!!)

Thanks Ladies

Kizzy

I'm a believer in Cathy's system, i've read her book but the only product i purchased is the Dew spray. i love it. I plan to purchase the conditioner and creme when i see her this sat at For Sisters Only. I guess i never bought the other stuff because it's so expensive but the ingredients are very basic. like the dew is the same ingredients as S-curl, but yet it cost $18 :eek: I jsut stumbled on her site like in Jan, so I am new. I don't trim but i am guilty of so called 'dusting' myself so i prpbably got rid of all of my growth. although the back of my hair is to my collarbone and it's never been before. I will join in....i'm not too sure about my routine. I guess i will
wash every 3 days (rotating between VO5 Copoo and Mizani shampoo),
deep cond 20mins with cathy's conditioner with a lil EVOO
apply leave-in, Hot6 and sit under dryer to dry my hair

GUYS I believe cathy doesn't say airdry she says she sits under the dryer and every so often she smooths her hair with her hands or a comb. right?

Thanks for the bump! This is just what I needed. I wash weekly and if I get lazy and skip a week my hair pays dearly for it. I think washing every 3 days will take my hair to the next level!

what conditioner are good besides cathy's conditioner? is motions CPR good enough?

thanks,
kiki82

I think this is the perfect challenge for people that don't like protective styles but still want healthy hair that retains growth..

we should start a challenge .. cathy howse method vs protective styles method and post pics :yep:

For those who can't afford her conditioner, or you would just rather make your own, mix the follwing ingredients for great results....
Mix these ingredients together:
1 32 oz. bottle of protein conditioner (your choice what protein condtioner you use)
Suggested Protein Conditioners;
>32 oz Cholesterol (Any brand that emphasizes that it has protein!!!)
6 oz coconut oil (you must liquify this in the microwave)
3 oz olive oil
.5-1 oz (personal preference) peppermint oil (must be real essential oil)

For those who can't find 32 oz of cholesterol and can only find 15, 18 or 20 oz jars, you could try;

1 jar of cholesterol
3 oz of coconut oil
1.5 oz of olive oil
.5-1 oz of peppermint oil (must be real essential oil)

(copied from bhm)

Wow, Cathy Howse marked the beginning of my HHJ! I dont have time to wash every 3 days...especially with natural hair, but I'll do what I can.

Wow this thread is still alive? Amazing lol, I posted on this thread back in 2004, and I still follow this method but I still have yet to try her products.

Babygurl if you didn't include the protective styling with the cathy howse reggie and used the heat once a week like she suggested.. Do you think you would of been as successful?

Your hair is amazing! :yep:

i got my best growth doing this method, i need to order her condish again and start back

I'm down for this challenge. Is there another session starting? I'm gonna use her methodsm not her products, and will do it in conjunction with the weave challenge for six months.

I wouldn't mind. Cathy Howse started my HHJ too :yep:

I had amazing retention using her method, and then I stopped out of pure laziness... lol.

Back