OMG! Light-skinned & have long hair dosen't count?!

bermudabeauty

I was hanging with my girl's friends, (not my homies) this weekend, and I was online at LHCF. And I was explaining what it is we do here, give advice, etc. And I was told that light-skinned girls and/or mixed girls opinions & regimines don't count because they are mixed and already have naturally long hair. OMG! :blush: I replied "are you serious?" What about the hard work, etc that went in getting and maintaining long hair doesn't count regardless if they are mixed?" They responded NO! :wallbash:They even proceeded to say my hair grows so fast because my mom is 1/2 white. I just fell out laughing because one of the girls herself is mixed with short hair. I asked her your mixed, where is your long hair at? :lachen:She got mad. Some people are so stuuuuupid!

I was hanging with my girl's friends, (not my homies) this weekend, and I was online at LHCF. And I was explaining what it is we do here, give advice, etc. And I was told that light-skinned girls and/or mixed girls opinions & regimines don't count because they are mixed and already have naturally long hair. OMG! :blush: I replied "are you serious?" What about the hard work, etc that went in getting and maintaining long hair doesn't count regardless if they are mixed?" They responded NO! :wallbash:They even proceeded to say my hair grows so fast because my mom is 1/2 white. I just fell out laughing because one of the girls herself is mixed with short hair. I asked her your mixed, where is your long hair at? :lachen:She got mad. Some people are so stuuuuupid!

LMFAO @ bolded.

People are people.

Funny, Funny, Funny... Anyways, Some people are so ignorant. But you smashed them and then you should've asked them... What does your skin color have to do with hair growth?? They are two very seperate things.

well I can't blame her. People had me thinking the same thing up untill I started learning about haircare online instead of taking advice from stylists and women in my family.

Ignorance is bliss.:sad:
Thats why this will always stay as my profile pic
2qk163t.jpg
:nono:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bermudabeauty

WOW...Stupidity at its finest! I'm glad you set'um straight!

That right there dispels her whole belief

Last edited:
I hate that crap. Someone told me the same thing. Oh your mixed? thats why you have long hair. Whaaaaaaaaaaa? thats sum bull and I am glad you set her straight!!!!!!

I'm glad you set that straight!! I'm mixed and I've had short hair most of my life due to ignorance and damage... Now that I'm natural, people want to say that oh you're light skin so your hair will grow... I'm glad to show them my pic from last year and see the little bit of hair I had!!!

I think we're being hard on them. Or maybe it was just me. But before my hair education, I thought the same thing. If it ain't "good" hair it ain't gonna grow long. Thank God that I was enlightened but I would be fronting if I didn't admit that at one time I thought the same way 2. :ohwell:

I think we're being hard on them. Or maybe it was just me. But before my hair education, I thought the same thing. If it ain't "good" hair it ain't gonna grow long. Thank God that I was enlightened but I would be fronting if I didn't admit that at one time I thought the same way 2. :ohwell:

Your right most people believe that people who have 3 type hair tend to have long hair.

I hear this all the time. Its why I no longer talk about hair with people, because its the first thing they say to me. Of course, when my hair was short and so damaged I should have shaved my head, I was normal like the rest of the girls in my family. As soon as I started learning how to take care of my hair, and it started growing past my ears, all it was about was my mother's race. All the hard work I put into my hair got, and still gets discredited unless I'm on the board talking to you lovely ladies. I think all hair is good as long as its taken care of, but if my hair is so much better than other black girls, as they like to throw in my face, then why does mine take just as much work? Its irritating, but it is something that they learn growing up. My family is only just now learning to stop thinking like that.

I was told today that I am in fact mixed, or half something (after the girl asked me, or assumed that I was mixed and I told her I wasn't), and just don't know it yet.

I said yep, I'm mixed all right, black and blacker. Brown when my fiance is around too (adult joke lol). That mensa candidate left me alone after that. Cause I told her this is one debate you will NOT win!

Ah, the height of intelligence.

I don't think people's experiences are ignorant.
I grew up only seeing light skinned people with longer hair than mine, people thought I had some type of "mix" because of my apl length hair..so I figured the more mix the longer the hair.
Even the dark skinned girls with long hair had type 3 hair.
Of course their were mixed people that would have damaged hair...but I used to think hey that's their fault, they had a better chance.lol.

I'm glad you told them whats up. I feel like I'm constantly defending myself as well. Because I have longer hair its always because I'm mixed. When I say I'm not mixed they say that there has to be somebody white in there somewhere. If that's the case EVERY black person from the US should have long hair. After that it always moves on to me having Indian (native american) in me. Why can't I just be black? And I'm not even light skinned.

Thast why I dont tell people about my hair goals anymore. It alwys goes back to the good hair bad hair thing. My mother is light skin, not mixed, her hair is 4z and has never grown past her neck.

Its ignorance and at the same time common sense. I always noticed that mixed girls seemed to have an easier time growing long hair. And I wasn't always inclined to listen to people with different hair textures than myself. Some mixed girls told me to brush my whole head every day including the NG and I figured if their curl is looser, then maybe brushing through my NG is not as painful as it is for me.

I have learned that all these stereotypes are not true, and why it might be easier for most mixed girls to have long hair, not all mixed girls have long hair, and non-mixed black girls really can grow long hair, if they have better practices

That is crazy, but it's funny that a lot of people think that way. I was teased so much when I was younger about being mixed and not "fully black" since I was so light-skinned. I now get mistaken for hispanic and unfortunately I don't speak Spanish (yet) so have no idea what they are saying. :lachen: Not all light or mixed people have long hair and I heard from a few mixed friends that their hair is actually more difficult to care for. People and their crazy ideas.

I do love the question you asked her in the bold print though. :grin:

Believe it or not, I never believed skin color or racial mixture determined the length of hair. I grew up around quite a few dark-skinned girls who had long hair (BSL+).

funny

no disrespest to anyone who is mixed, but not all mixed girls don't have long beautiful hair. If you don't know how to maintain and care for your hair black, white,other, your hair will fall out,break off, tangle, or become frizzy. If I could I would upload an older picture of my mother who is dark skinned ,with her bsl ,thick , soft as satin hair I would. I have noticed a number of ladies on this forum who are not mixed, with beautiful hair because they know their hair and how to take of it.

Some people are just (dare I say it?) ignorant. They still believe in the old stereotype that light-skinned people are mixed and have long hair. I hate it when people try to pull the mixed card on me. I have nothing against mixed people at all, but I know what I am and I know what I'm not, and when people try to discredit all the hard work I put into my hair for it to look good by saying "Oh whatever, you're mixed" it bothers me. It is also offensive to bi-racial/multi-racial people as well. There are plenty of light-skinned/multi-racial people that struggle with their hair and may not be able to grow their hair past a certain length. And what are they going to say to them? "Oh, you'd think your hair would be longer, you being mixed and all". People just don't know how offensive they can be sometimes.

i 100% agree with this, because this was my train of thinking for the longest (and i do mean LONGEST) time. i'm glad i found out otherwise though, because i would probably still have that train of thought today :look:.

Back