No such thing as healthy relaxed hair?

[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:

I don't understand this continued bashing of natural hair. What does eating chicken that's been given a million and one synthetic foods, etc., have to do with natural hair? I don't get it at all.
naughty.gif
I don't color my hair, so I don't understand where that came from at all. SMH

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed something because I didn't see any posts on this thread bashing natural hair. If you'd like to point them out to me, I'll be more than happy to edit those posts because bashing relaxed or natural hair is not allowed. I'll go back and take another look. As to the chicken, I think the point some are trying to make is that there are other chemicals people ingest that can also be harmful to the body. Chemicals are not only absorbed through the scalp from relaxers. As to coloring hair, the poster was saying that there are many people who are natural and say they won't use dangerous chemicals in their hair, yet they use coloring which can also be harmful to hair. To the best of my understanding, that comment was not directed at you.
cool.gif

You're right, though. The bonds cannot be rebuilt once they are broken. However, this is exactly what is desired when you relax your hair. It is a permanent process, and that is why some choose it over pressing - the relaxed hair will not revert. When you relax, you do not desire to rebuild it like it was originally, but rather reshape it to a different form.

No one is bashing you or your hair. You're making statements, and we're providing you with facts that contradicts them.

You said you've never seen an unhealthy head of natural hair. Pointing out that they've seen terrible natural hair is not bashing natural hair.

You said relaxed hair has no choice but to break. Lots of us get no breakage because of the protein that strengthens our hair.

I think it's lovely that you've lived in cities where ladies have beautiful natural hair. I read a post from this woman who said that where she's from, doobies are very popular. This helped most of them grow their hair very long. When she came to the ATL, people kept asking if her hair was fake. It seems some towns, good hair info (natural, relaxed, whatever) is just more prevalent and popular than others. I commend those towns very much. It's good to just walk out your door and be inspired
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
OK why don't we just get technical here.

Technically - I am not "natural" because my hair is color treated with a chemical.
Technically - My hair is not "healthy" because it has been dyed.
Technically - Relaxed hair is broken down so "technically" not healthy.
Technically - Hair is dead protein-based matter - so "technically" hair is not really healthy. All we are doing is preserving dead matter.

Now let's just get real here.

-The term healthy is different to everyone. Some people equate healthy hair with shine, bounce, length, bla, bla, bla.
-The term natural is different to everyone. Some people equate natural with "no chemicals, no products, un-cultivated hair, bla, bla, bla.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with these views. I think that technically chemically treated hair is damaged. I also think that the most healthy natural hair will always be more healthy than the most healthy relaxed hair though can look really great. I would just say it's a matter of personal preference.

[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:
there is no way to rebuild the bonds once they're broken. and you're right, there's no way to debate it. facts are facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone IS debating whether or not relaxers break down the bonds. We all knew that already. No one is debating facts. I think people want to discuss differing opinions on what is meant by "healthy" hair. Which is fine, I think. But it has sort of turned into a charged debate, which, in my own personal BlackCardinal opinion, is pretty silly, since the idea of healthy, as it relates to the condition of the hair, is and will always be subjective. Even if there is something we all as a group tend to agree on, it is still opinion, just a popular one.

So, if someone says, "I'm trying to get my hair healthy by doing x, y, and z," it is pointless if someone else says, "Well it won't ever actually be healthy because [insert reason]." The reason why is that those two people obviously have differing views on the definition of healthy. There is no determining the "absolute truth" about whose hair is healthy and whose isn't, because, as it relates to hair, "healthy" is not a well-defined, absolute term. Now, those people can, as some have done in this thread, discuss what THEY think healthy is and why, and maybe something one of them says will have some sort of impact on the other's ideas...or it may not. And that's fine. There wouldn't be any need for people to get emotional about it or feel attacked.

Now, I'm gonna go check my email and see if Yahoo sent me my forgotten password so I can look at Adrienne's pics
trampoline.gif

janeiR, none of the statements contradict my facts because, as another young woman stated, "we rebuild the peptide bonds with products containing protein." i simply replied that it doesn't matter what you put in the hair after the fact, the damage has been done and no "miracle" product with any amount of protein can "rebuild it."

i agree, blackcardinal, from the tone of this thread, i doubt any of us, even if all of the relaxed heads come together and all of the natural heads come together, will agree on one cohesive term for what healthy hair means to us as a collective. our goal in this group is long black HEALTHY (read; whatever your definition of health is insert it here) hair.

wow. 13 pages and it STILL comes down to that. oh well. i'm off to study for finals.
brainy.gif

if i don't get a chance to check in again before i make my trek home, i'll holla at y'all in 2004 ! ! ! if any LBHC members are in the Seattle area, you're free to come party with me and my best friend once i get back cause we're gonna LIVE IT UP ! ! ! LOL
alcoholics.gif

peace, love, and long hair wishes ! ! !
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:
I've never been to DC before, but I was born and raised in Seattle before coming down to Alabama for college. After deciding to do so, one of the things that pushed me forward in going for The Big Chop was seeing a good number of Seattle women sporting their kinks and coils. I've seen more than the - few - naturals in Alabama, please believe it.
smile.gif

I don't understand this continued bashing of natural hair. What does eating chicken that's been given a million and one synthetic foods, etc., have to do with natural hair? I don't get it at all.
naughty.gif
I don't color my hair, so I don't understand where that came from at all. SMH

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not bashing natural hair because I too have natural hair...and i said i wasnt referring to anyone else on the post about hair color. But i was stating an experience where some one said that to me and i thought it was a bunch of ham. Preaching to me about how relaxers are damaging to black hair yet they had natural hair that was dyed blond and red. To me thats just as damaging except in another form. That was my correlation... Thats all....lol no hostility here.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Healthy hair is...

well as this thread shows, it means different things to different people.

For my hair, healthy means having minimal splits, very little breakage and feeling soft to the touch. Alternating between natural and flatironing has dramatically improved my hair's health.
smile.gif

Compared to my relaxed/texturized/always pressed hair days, I subject my hair to much less heat by alternating. I can moisturize it when needed. My fine strands don't break and split as easily. And my scalp doesn't scab up anymore.

Overall, I'm more happier with my hair as it is now.
up.gif

BamaFro, your fact was that relaxed hair has no choice but to break because the peptide bonds are broken. Many relaxed sistahs get no breakage because of protein and moisture products.

Why would we want to rebuild all the peptide bonds? If you rebuild them the way they were originally, you'll get the curly hair back. That would defeat the purpose of relaxing. If you choose to relax your hair, you want those bonds broken and permanently reshaped. Protein is just like the cast you apply to your leg after it's broken. When the cast is taken off, your leg functions good as new.

Excellently said JaneiR36!!! If you get a Relaxer you want the bonds broken to straighten or semi straighten it!!! The Protein treatments rebuild it so you don't have breakage and split ends and problem hair, but can achieve great length and whatever that individual's definition is of healthy hair!! Very good Janei!!!

[ QUOTE ]
The Protein treatments rebuild it so you don't have breakage and split ends and problem hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Protein treatments certainly help relaxed hair not have breakage and split ends and problem hair, but they cannot rebuild the bonds am I right?

[ QUOTE ]
Protein treatments certainly help relaxed hair not have breakage and split ends and problem hair, but they cannot rebuild the bonds am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted from Cocoacure

[ QUOTE ]
The Protein treatments rebuild it so you don't have breakage and split ends and problem hair,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. What I mean is.......the protein bonds are not "rebuilt" because that would make the hair curly again and we want it to remain straight. BUT........the protein STRENGTHENS the hair so that we won't have a bunch of breakage, weakness, shedding, etc. - all clear signs of unhealthy hair!!!

What it comes down to for ME is...

Would I rather eat an apple with pesticides or without?
shocked.gif

Would I rather have a lawn that is green due to chemicals or less green without?
shocked.gif

Would I rather have hair treated with chemicals or without?
shocked.gif

I choose without...and even though my intention is not to pass judgement on anyone because I CHOOSE natural hair...for some reason it gets viewed that way...

Sometimes we get defensive...because in the statement...there is a ring of truth...and the truth sometimes hurts.

Really it's all about choices...if you choose relaxed hair...that is your choice...anyone can argue until the cows come home about whether it is healthy or not...Semantics will always get in the way.

It is the perception of many that natural hair is not beautiful...I used to be one of those people...I believed "nappy" hair is "bad" hair...my perception has changed...my hair is good hair...and it does not HAVE to be straight to look good. Some will not percieve my hair as beautiful...I cant help that...but I am happy with my choice...and coming from a family history of cancer and environmentally caused leukemias...the less chemicals I add to my body the better...

But it boils down to...whether I choose to put chemicals on my hair or not...and living with that decision. I am not trying to make anyone uncomfortable with my decision...If they feel uncomfortable because I say I will no longer put chemicals on my hair, or that straight hair is not what comes out of my head so I will not put chemicals on it to make it that way so that others will feel comfortable...then the real issue is with them...not me. I am clear about what I am doing.

So is the question "Does the chemical you put on your hair to straighten it...make it healthy?"

or

"Is a relaxed haired person better than a natural haired person?"

To the first question I say "no".
To the 2nd...nothing you put on your head makes anyone better...your character, how you treat people, how you love your neighbor makes you a good person. Hair is petty...in the real scheme of things...there is nothing wrong with talking about it...or taking care of it...but to get angry about it...well...its just silly.

Ask a chemo patient which is better...natural or relaxed...they will say...just having hair is a blessing.

Sigh.

This is really a good statement.

"Some will not percieve my hair as beautiful...I cant help that...but I am happy with my choice".

That is true. Some people will think your hair is ugly based on the fact that you use chemicals or alter the texture with heat to make it straight.

Be happy with your choice.

I was happy natural, and I am still happy texturized. Don't let anyone make you feel bad because they don't agree with your choices.

I can also understand why a board that is majority relaxed would be hurt. But if you relax your hair because you want to you shouldn't be hurt.

But we also know that some, not all, but some ladies may feel bad about their hair texture. No one might admit this but they are here reading these posts. We also know that some of the naturals have been in the same shoes, ashamed of what was growing out of their heads.

There is nothing wrong with that. But there are also many many posters who are happy with their decisions to either wear their hair natural or relaxed. One is not better than the other in regards to character.

Some naturals and some relaxed women may feel they are better than the other, but we know that's baloney. Some may even be on this board. So what. As long as you are secure in your reasons whether you are going natural or you are relaxing all this what hair is better than what should slide off your backs whether you are natural or not.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not trying to make anyone uncomfortable with my decision...If they feel uncomfortable because I say I will no longer put chemicals on my hair, or that straight hair is not what comes out of my head so I will not put chemicals on it to make it that way so that others will feel comfortable...then the real issue is with them...not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I knew this post was going to get distorted.

No one is saying that natural hair is ugly or that we (women with chemicals in our hair) feel that your decision not to relax is a bad one.
nono.gif

Now what IS wrong is coming to a board where the majority of women have relaxed hair and telling them that their hair isn't healthy. That's a slap in the face and besides, there is a hair board out there where you can agree with each other about how bad relaxers are 'till the cows come home.

I too loved my natural hair and I love my texturized hair just as well.

technically no hair is healthy as hair is .. dead.
but since everyone has already decided to use that term to discribe a nice lookin head of hair ill use that term.
I think a relaxed head can be "healthy" just as someone with cancer, or a bad eye can still be called healthy. despite the fact that there was damage done ,as long as the hair isnt fallin apart or causing the person major hurt (like sore scalp, baldness) then that person with the relaxed hair is just as healthy if not more so than the person with a nice head of natural hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]
I am not trying to make anyone uncomfortable with my decision...If they feel uncomfortable because I say I will no longer put chemicals on my hair, or that straight hair is not what comes out of my head so I will not put chemicals on it to make it that way so that others will feel comfortable...then the real issue is with them...not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is saying that natural hair is ugly or that we (women with chemicals in our hair) feel that your decision not to relax is a bad one.
nono.gif

Now what IS wrong is coming to a board where the majority of women have relaxed hair and telling them that their hair isn't healthy. That's a slap in the face and besides, there is a hair board out there where you can agree with each other about how bad relaxers are 'till the cows come home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will respond as if the comments were directed to me...

Please dont take my comments personally...

For ME...relaxed hair is not a healthy choice. I believe I started my comments out that way...and that is how I will end it. For ME...my choice should not offend anyone...or make anyone feel defensive...

Me refusing to perm...should be as non-judgemental as a person refusing a piece of bread with dinner...or an alcoholic beverage...if a person says no to that choice...I dont think that they are better than me or tell them to get out of my home...its just their choice.

Nothing more, nothing less...

There a lot of choices that people make on this forum...that dont work for ME...many times people even want to know IF SOMETHING WORKED FOR YOU OR NOT...because they like to hear both sides...now why is it when someone says a relaxer is not healthy for ME...then they are invited to leave?

We disagree without being disagreeable on other issues...whether Suave Tropical works or not...whether protien is good for the hair...or mineral oil...why cant relaxers be the same?

From what I understand...we do agree on one issue...and I am assuming that because we are both on a long hair care forum...we both want LONG HEALTHY HAIR...if we both get there...then we are in agreement...but just because I choose a different path...does not make my choice any less right...FOR ME.

I am simply saying relaxing hair is not a healthy choice for ME.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For ME...relaxed hair is not a healthy choice. I believe I started my comments out that way...and that is how I will end it. For ME...my choice should not offend anyone...or make anyone feel defensive...

Me refusing to perm...should be as non-judgemental as a person refusing a piece of bread with dinner...or an alcoholic beverage...if a person says no to that choice...I dont think that they are better than me or tell them to get out of my home...its just their choice.

There a lot of choices that people make on this forum...that dont work for ME...many times people even want to know IF SOMETHING WORKED FOR YOU OR NOT...because they like to hear both sides...now why is it when someone says a relaxer is not healthy for ME...then they are invited to leave?

We disagree without being disagreeable on other issues...whether Suave Tropical works or not...whether protien is good for the hair...or mineral oil...why cant relaxers be the same?

From what I understand...we do agree on one issue...and I am assuming that because we are both on a long hair care forum...we both want LONG HEALTHY HAIR...if we both get there...then we are in agreement...but just because I choose a different path...does not make my choice any less right...FOR ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not taking your comments personally. I totally agree with your statement that relaxing is not for everyone.

Now what I don't agree with is anyone coming in here and stating that relaxed hair is not healthy period. It wasn't you that said it, but it was said. There are so many women on this board with bra strap (& longer) length, healthy, shiny, beautiful, relaxed hair and to read that someone is saying that their hair is not healthy, on a hair board where the administrator is relaxed is very disrespectful.

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not taking your comments personally. I totally agree with your statement that relaxing is not for everyone.

Now what I don't agree with is anyone coming in here and stating that relaxed hair is not healthy period. It wasn't you that said it, but it was said. There are so many women on this board with bra strap (& longer) length, healthy, shiny, beautiful, relaxed hair and to read that someone is saying that their hair is not healthy, on a hair board where the administrator is relaxed is very disrespectful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect...

Hair is obviously a touchy subject for some...
I am sure that the administrators have heard this discussion before...one thing I have seen about the individuals that have relaxed for years...or who have been natural for years...they are at peace with their decision...so they take no offense when someone disagrees...

This forum allows both views from what I have seen...The short time I have been on this site...I have seen only one negative discussion toward natural "nappy" hair...the moderator right away addressed it...I think that is why...even though I do not spend the majority of my "hair hobby" time on this site...I do feel free here to express my "minority" experience...I have never been formally welcomed...but I still felt welcome.

Since this forum allows both views...then I am sure that the administrators take no offense at the opposing view. Speaking as a natural...no offense was intended...but I appreciate that I am allowed to dissagree.

Since we have come to a peaceful impass...I will close by saying this...I wish you good health and good hair.

I guess I am real comfortable being relaxed because I am not offended at all by anyone's post. I don't even see where it is going downhill. It's my head and I do as I please, so no other opinion matters but mine. I think it can be healthy even if you want to look at it on a molecular level. At the LOreal skin of color conference in September a girl from Yale did some hair research under Dr. Susan Taylor. At the end she showed a microscopic view of untreated hair and relaxed hair witha good regime and their was NO difference. I am gonna look for her email address and see if I can post the pictures for you all to see.

[ QUOTE ]
Since we have come to a peaceful impass...I will close by saying this...I wish you good health and good hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
Back to ya!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Maestradiva77 said:
Just giving a shoutout to my girl Pookeylou! What's up girl?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now! I see your hair is growing beautifully... strong and long! I am lovin the AVATAR!

Thanks!!!

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
Maestradiva77 said:
Just giving a shoutout to my girl Pookeylou! What's up girl?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now! I see your hair is growing beautifully... strong and long! I am lovin the AVATAR!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
I don't think that staying smooth and not frizzing or shining are characteristics of healthy hair. First, shine happens when the cuticles are smooth enough for light to bounce off of them. Curly or nappy hair usually has sheen, not shine because the cuticles don't lie smooth. And as for hair staying smooth, if your hair is natural, it's not going to be smooth! Those are characteristic of healthy straight hair, not necessarily healthy hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to chime in and state that it is true that when the hair cuticle isn't lying flat light isn't reflected off the hair well so hair that could be shiny will appear dull. That explains why split ends look dull. But it is inaccurate to imply that the cuticles on natural/curly hair don't ever lie flat or that the natural hair shaft isn't ever smooth, and to explain that as the reason for lack of shine. Don't get me wrong: raised cuticles could occur in natural hair but they aren't typical or a mark of natural curly hair, nor are they the reason it doesn't shine like straight hair. Rather it's the curly characteristic of the hair as a whole that prevents light from bouncing off it the way it bounces off very straight hair. (It is also these darling curls of our type 4 hair that make it so much drier than naturally straighter hair because our sebum has more trouble traveling up the strands of our hair than it does on straighter hair.)

If you don't believe me that shine increases proportionally with how straight your hair is, compare how shiny your natural hair gets when you press it even with nothing added to it. Or let's even leave out the heat in case you argue that it's not really "natural" or claim that the iron/comb smoothes the cuticle.
tongue.gif
Take any healthy natural hair and look at it when in its natural resting state ie shrunken state. Then grab the ends of a few strands and stretch them out as straight as you can without smoothing the length with your fingers so there's no cheating
grin.gif
. You'll see an improvement in shine because of better light reflection in the hair when straight, than when it was curly. Just thought I'd clear this up.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't imply that they never lay flat. In their natural, non straight state they do not lay flat. Raised cuticles are a mark of curly hair. Ouidad, in the first page of her curl guide, says that the spiral structure of hair forces the hair shaft to remain open and to have tiny lifted layers, and this is in other sources as well. That is also a reason that curly hair as a whole, black or non black, is drier than straight hair.

If you use products like frizz-ease, press your hair, or even pull it straight you are smoothing the cuticle from its natural state, and that is why you get more shine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to add that curly hair strands consist of cuticles that do not lie flat. This is a fact, due to hair coming out of the root at a slant from an eliptical follicle (oval). The flatter/more eliptical a follicle is, the curlier your hair is and more raised your cuticles will be. Asian people are known for "perfect hair", because their follicles are circular, and hair grows straight out, thus possessing cuticles that lie flat on the strand, causing a high sheen on their hair. Thus, their hair is also most resistant to damage and chemical processes than other hair types.

"The shape of the hair, straight or curly, is dependent on the shape of the follicle. A circular or round hair follicle would generate straight hair, while the follicle with oval or elliptical shapes (in its cross-section) would produce a curly hair."

More information can be found here
http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa002.shtml
http://www.clairol.com/Straight_Wavy214.jsp

So Chimma you are right in attesting that curly hair of all races is drier, simply because of the raised cuticles. And the drier the hair, the more moisture it needs.

Back