No such thing as healthy relaxed hair?

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:

i have NEVER seen an unhealthy head of natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to DC.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to DC.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

spit.gif
(Spitting my water all over the screen). HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[ QUOTE ]
have NEVER seen an unhealthy head of natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's quite a statement.
ohwell.gif
I see plenty of "tow" up heads in Columbia, SC--natural and relaxed. The natural heads I see that look bad usually have receding hairlines from tight braids. Or the hair is just incredibly dry. I'm talking dusty 'tumbleweeds rolling by' dry.

Why did that Clint Eastwood/Western movie music just pop into my head? "Woo-eee-ooo-eee-oooo..."
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to DC.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True that!!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BronzeBrown said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
DF, I am not responding to you directly when I ask, are the relaxer chemicals harmful? Have there been any studies that show that they are harmful. While breastfeeding, my lactation consultant told me that it was okay to relax shortly after having my son so surely those chemicals cannot be that harmful. (I didn't relax while pregnant because I wasn't sure about the chemicals and I did not want to take any chances.) If it is proven that they are then I am the first to go natural.

As for healthy relaxed hair, I believe that I am getting it. It is funny, but when I test my strands for elasticity and such, the relaxed hair closest to my scalp is the strongest. I know that this is so because of the great tips that I have recievd from LHCF. My hair is growing in very thick and very strong and it is all relaxed
smile.gif
Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Chichi, this is in response to your question about past studies conducted to determine whether relaxers are harmful. Several times I've heard about a study in which, post-death, a number of women who relaxed their hair regularly in life had their scalps cut open and it was found that they all had a layer of green film underneath
frown.gif
. However, this is something that I've only ever read about online, so it may or may not be true.

But also to just think of it in basic terms - the hairdresser wears gloves when applying a relaxer in order to protect her skin from it; and this is the same chemical that goes on your scalp. Not only that, but it burns when applied and I know in my case, left me with scabs on my scalp. One woman on another hairboard a couple of years ago described how her scalp was perpetually sore (sometimes bleeding a little) post touch-up. Then I know of quite a few women who, after deciding to go natural, had extra tubs of relaxer left over. So to get rid of them, they use the product to clean the soap scum off of their bathtubs.

So I don't know...the combination of all those different facts makes me really wary, to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks BronzeBrown. I didn't know all of this before. Now, I am thinking seriously about trasitioning
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
Regardless of the hair, I believe that relaxing is not healthy for my body because of the chemicals used.

[/ QUOTE ]

DF, I am not responding to you directly when I ask, are the relaxer chemicals harmful? Have there been any studies that show that they are harmful. While breastfeeding, my lactation consultant told me that it was okay to relax shortly after having my son so surely those chemicals cannot be that harmful. (I didn't relax while pregnant because I wasn't sure about the chemicals and I did not want to take any chances.) If it is proven that they are then I am the first to go natural.

As for healthy relaxed hair, I believe that I am getting it. It is funny, but when I test my strands for elasticity and such, the relaxed hair closest to my scalp is the strongest. I know that this is so because of the great tips that I have recievd from LHCF. My hair is growing in very thick and very strong and it is all relaxed
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi, I believe they are harmful. If I scratched my scalp or left it on a little too long it burned the crap out of me. Anything that has the potential to do that sort of damage is harmful IMO.

I read an article about a study and how the workers who came in contact with it wear full body protective suits and stuff, and some of the illnesses that some obtained from working around it. As soon as I find it, I'll post if for you.

I wouldn't wait around for any of the relaxer companies or the FDA to say that it's dangerous. Number one, I really don't believe that they care about how dangerous it is...especially since it's in OUR communities. Number two, it's all about the dollars...look at how long it took them to finally admit that cigarettes aren't healthy...like that took a brain scientist to figure out.

Also, I read about how the chemical lingers under the skin and sits on top of the brain. EEEWWW!!!

This is all simply my humble opinion. I'm not downing anyone who relaxes...simply posting my view that it is not healthy for me or MY body, and definitely not my little girl.

Okay, I have heard other people claim to have found white film on the scalps of black women who relaxed their hair. Can anyone actually provide written documentation from a doctor or scientist detailing these alleged findings as well as other information about the effects of relaxers on the body?

<sigh>

I'm feeling really conflicted right now...I do agree that whether you relax your hair or leave it natural is about preferences. I don't like the look of dready, puffy hair. I don't like bone straight either. That's why I never relax it bone straight. Plus I do agree with the fact that the chemicals in relaxers are harsh and are nothing to joke around with. You have to know what you're doing (your or your hairdresser, that is). Honestly, I've thought about going natural but, it's not for me. My hair is very, very thick. Hairdressers comment on how thick my hair is all the time. A comb or two has been broken off in my head
shocked.gif
LOL. I figure by relaxing (more like texturizing) I can control my hair easier and get the smooth sleek look that I desire. My hair might not be as healthy as it is in it's natural state, but that price *I* pay. I take very good care of my hair and it looks good. I enjoy doing it. It's not at all a burden. To be honest, the way my hair is natural, it would take a whole heck of a lot more of my time to tame it down and look half-way decent. But, that's just *me*.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
CORRECTION: Adrienne IS at waist length. She snuck some new pics into her album & it appears that her hair is falling at her waist.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yay! i stay on top of those updates too, i checked last week but didn't see any. i also check out her friend's hair too! i love me some adrienne hair album, lol. but, i still don't see any new pics

Really? I saw them in the black hair care and body album. I'd assumed that she updated her picturetrail as well. Well, when you do get a chance to see it, her hair is smashing.

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
I'm not downing anyone who relaxes...simply posting my view that it is not healthy for me or MY body, and definitely not my little girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I do not have children, I cannot imagine (and hope never to consider) relaxing any child of mine's hair. Knowing what I know now, it's just not something I would want to inflict upon my daughter. Yes, from the chemical standpoint, it's not a good thing if one's goal is to maintain the strength of one's hair. Looking beyond whether peptide bonds are broken down by the process, however, I believe it also has psychological and sociological implications. I don't want to instill in my daughter, even on a subsconscious level, that her kinky or curly or whatever type natural hair is somehow or in any way "less than," deficient or lacking in beauty - that it is something to be permanently stretched and straightened for convenience or for conformity. Was I thinking about all of these issues when I had my hair relaxed at the age of 15? No. Am I fully cognizant of them now that I'm 30? Yes. I am conflicted, but have made the decision to maintain my relaxer. I am assuming the risks. But I do want "better" for my children . . .
smile.gif

I'm going to try to link her album on this thread. Adrienne, girl I hope you don't mind--please don't get me.

Hold on a sec. you guys...

I've tried sooo hard to stay out of this engaging discussion.

Interesting points on all sides.

I just want to add a comment to Blaxalrose about conservative and professional styles in the South.

I also live in the South and in fact wrote an article in the Business section of the Miami Herald about how natural (naturally curly, naturally nappy) hair styles are becoming increasingly popular, accepted and respected in corporate board settings. Even IBM, Walgreens and Burdines
wink.gif
ads and commercials feature a variety of natural heads. I've seen very conservative investment companies and banks with models in twists, braids and locs. It's all in the presentation.

I've interviewed doctors, lawyers and even one JUDGE, who wears locs. She wears them in the courtroom.

Clearly, the concept of "conservative" and "professional" are in the eyes of the beholder.

Back to lurking.

Have a good day!

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I have the same book and was
shocked.gif
when I read that statement. The woman in the photo was truly hairjacked.
frown.gif
I wonder why she kept relaxing her hair? One bad experience was enough for me... The book also features some of the ugliest hairstyles I've ever seen. The author is called a "hair sculptor", so I guess that's what she's trying to sell, but I'm still waiting for a natural hair book that features regular looking hairstyles.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're still looking for a book containing natural hairstyles: Lonnice Brittenum Bonners' book "Good Hair" includes a few simple, wearable styles; Anthony Dickey's "The Ultimate Hair Care guide" has Tomiko Fraser in a low cut fro that could definitely be worn out, and Pamela Ferrell's "Let's Talk Hair" has a variety of twist-based styles. But I think online haircare boards for natural hair like nc (naturallycurly) and nappturality provide the most feasible, attractive styles for textured hair.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're still looking for a book containing natural hairstyles: Lonnice Brittenum Bonners' book "Good Hair" includes a few simple, wearable styles; Anthony Dickey's "The Ultimate Hair Care guide" has Tomiko Fraser in a low cut fro that could definitely be worn out, and Pamela Ferrell's "Let's Talk Hair" has a variety of twist-based styles. But I think online haircare boards for natural hair like nc (naturallycurly) and nappturality provide the most feasible, attractive styles for textured hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, thanks! I've just reserved those books from the library. Does anyone else have other book ideas? I've looking for books with natural hair styles too.

"Where Beauty touches me," available on Amazon.com also has some lovely, lovely styles that are really attractive and conservative for the office.

Kink Phobia....also on Amazon.com was written by an actress who wears her hair in beautiful twist and twistout styles.

I've seen natural hair styled in buns, french twists and other office-friendly styles.

Natural hair can cover the range from conservative corporate culture cuts (CCCC) or hip hair sculptures. It's a broad range.

I've never been to DC before, but I was born and raised in Seattle before coming down to Alabama for college. After deciding to do so, one of the things that pushed me forward in going for The Big Chop was seeing a good number of Seattle women sporting their kinks and coils. I've seen more than the - few - naturals in Alabama, please believe it.
smile.gif

I don't understand this continued bashing of natural hair. What does eating chicken that's been given a million and one synthetic foods, etc., have to do with natural hair? I don't get it at all.
naughty.gif
I don't color my hair, so I don't understand where that came from at all. SMH

MindyMouse, the shampoo I currently use, Aveda Sap Moss, DOES NOT contain laurel sulfate, but it's expensive, and I PREFER to use a more moisturizing product, like conditioners, for daily cleansing. I never said that all shampoos contain this ingredient.

I don't see the contradiction.

What straightening chemicals does Mane 'N Tail Conditioner have in it ? ? ? My coils are just as coily before I cleanse my hair with the product as it is afterward.
smile.gif

Lose my credibility? How?

As for stating facts, my main point was to state how the peptide bonds are broken in the hair . . . I never said I was trying a case of how natural hair is better than relaxed.
crazy.gif

OK........First of all, Supergirl, BlackCardinal, Adrienne, and Marseeya............you said it!!! THis is NOT the board for ANYONE wanting to put ANYONE else's choices down! There's no need for attitudes and snide remarks. When I was Natural I too read all the stuff out about Relaxers and how awful they are, but yet I'd still see just as many beautiful healthy heads of relaxed hair and chewed up, broken off ones!!! As for Naturals............well, I had a beautiful, soft, long head of relaxed hair that I wore in a multitude of styles, but I also saw some upgly broken off from too tight braids natural heads too, whose hair looks hard and ridiculous!!! It's been said here repeatedly, it's all in the care the hair is getting. Now if you want to talk about peptide bonds and comparing relaxed hair to white women's hair..........I have many white friends without perms who constantly tell me how pretty and thick my hair is and how they wish their's wasn't so thin! That's the main reason white women wear weaves and falls - because of thiness! They have the length, but their hair DOES NOT have the thickness or weight that our hair - EVEN RELAXED - does! It really sounds like someone on this board, and I won't mention names, is trying to put down others choices in order to make herself feel better about her own choice! You don't have to tell someone "Well your peptide bonds are broken down" and that's not healthy!" in order to feel that natural is the thing for you! Yes, relaxed, curly perming, colouring, ANYTHING chemical breaks down peptide bonds, BUT PROTEIN HELPS BUILD THESE BONDS BACK UP! PROTEIN IS THE ONE THING THAT WILL BUILD THE HAIR UP BECAUSE HAIR ITSELF IS PROTEIN! Just learn to be happy with your own choice. Maybe you thought this board was for debating, but it's not! It's for encouraging!! So I suggest you stay on the boards that sit around discussing peptide bonds! Meanwhile we here at LHCF will continue our trend of supporting and encouraging ALL sistahs, whether relaxed or natural in achieving their haircare goals! Enough said!

there is no way to rebuild the bonds once they're broken. and you're right, there's no way to debate it. facts are facts.

Back