NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE

I just applied my mix. Put a plastic cap over it and then my silk scarf. No drips so I didn't use too much this time and washing tomorrow morning. Not trying to smell like Sulfur in Church.

I washed, deep conditioned, then applied my mix. I massaged it and felt minimal tingles. Then I flat twisted my hair for my sil's bridal shower tomorrow. Happy growing ladies!!!

BadMamaJama

Somewhere around 7-8%. I try to stay below 10% but a little above MTG.

NJoy
Wouldn't a 7-8% sulfur oil mixture be about 16.8-19grams of sulfur per 8oz of oils.

If i'm not mistaken 1 Tablespoon(Tbsp) is about 15ml/grams but we are using teaspoon(tsp) per your recipe albeit a heaping teaspoon which I can only assume will be roughly about 2x the normal level tsp while 3tsp = 1Tbsp.

Sorry I'm a little bit confused from your post above, could you clarify how you got your mixture percentage?.

I've been applying my mixture and baggying for the past 6 nights and cowashing every morning. So far so good!

I just mixed up a batch and applied it for the first time, I will be checking in weekly with the amount of times I applied it. I plan to do it daily in the pm followed by a 1 minute scalp massage.

@NJoy
Wouldn't a 7-8% sulfur oil mixture be about 16.8-19grams of sulfur per 8oz of oils.

If i'm not mistaken 1 Tablespoon(Tbsp) is about 15ml/grams but we are using teaspoon(tsp) per your recipe albeit a heaping teaspoon which I can only assume will be roughly about 2x the normal level tsp while 3tsp = 1Tbsp.

Sorry I'm a little bit confused from your post above, could you clarify how you got your mixture percentage?.

Kachi

:yep: Yes, Ma'am. Here's my spiel for anyone who wants to know how I got the calculations.

Dry and fluid weights are calculated differently. You're talking about weight vs volume which is like apples and oranges. This makes calculating a bit tricky. The density of what you're measuring is a factor (I'll come back to that later). It's like expecting two six feet tall people to weigh the same. But still, it's doable give or take.

I struggled with this for awhile trying to be certain the amount was correct. I didn't want to use too much because a bhm member mention that her fried tried to make a sulfur-based concoction and it caused scalp burns. Since there was a warning on sublimed sulfur that 10% or more causes a reaction on most scalps, I wanted to be SURE that I didn't cause myself to be bald trying to grow hair. Hello? :lol:

Anywho, the calculations...

I took 8 fluid oz and multiplied that by .84, which is the adjustment factor to convert from fluid to dry. That gave 6.72 dry oz.

Well, I wanted 8% to be sulfur (dry). That resulted in 8% being 0.5376 (dry) oz.

1 oz = 6 tsp (or 2 tbs)

Now, this is where the fear factor came in. I rounded down to .5 oz being needed. That meant 3 tsp (I tbs) which sounded like a lot. So I decided 1 heaping tsp would be a little over 2 tsp. I figured rounding down like that would put me somewhere around 7% instead of 8%. That sounded safer in light of my bhm friend's comment about sulfur burning her friend's hair.

I tried it on myself for months and it worked fine. I know that some will be a bit more agressive (even tho I always warn against it) and I didn't want anyone to come back and say I caused them damage. Better to err on the side of caution AND, the amount works fine. So, that's how I came up with the amount. I always say 7-8% because it really depends on what one uses as "heaping".

If I say 1 TBS, unless it's a level tbs, some may use more and run the risk of damage in the name of getting great growth. 1 heaping tsp does the job ~ At least that's what I found ~ and has been safely used successfully by others.

Also, I compared my estimations to common dry weight conversions used in cooking. Remember I talked about volume being a factor. Dry rice is gonna be different from dry flour, for instance. I looked at sublimed sulfur like flour and compared the estimates used in cooking conversion charts that I found.

I considered all of the above and feel comfortable with the recipe that I've shared.

Hope that clarifies things for you on how I got that amount and HHG!! :drunk:

Kachi

:yep: Yes, Ma'am. Here's my spiel for anyone who wants to know how I got the calculations.

Dry and fluid weights are calculated differently. You're talking about weight vs volume which is like apples and oranges. This makes calculating a bit tricky. The density of what you're measuring is a factor (I'll come back to that later). It's like expecting two six feet tall people to weigh the same. But still, it's doable give or take.

I struggled with this for awhile trying to be certain the amount was correct. I didn't want to use too much because a bhm member mention that her fried tried to make a sulfur-based concoction and it caused scalp burns. Since there was a warning on sublimed sulfur that 10% or more causes a reaction on most scalps, I wanted to be SURE that I didn't cause myself to be bald trying to grow hair. Hello? :lol:

Anywho, the calculations...

I took 8 fluid oz and multiplied that by .84, which is the adjustment factor to convert from fluid to dry. That gave 6.72 dry oz.

Well, I wanted 8% to be sulfur (dry). That resulted in 8% being 0.5376 (dry) oz.

1 oz = 6 tsp (or 2 tbs)

Now, this is where the fear factor came in. I rounded down to .5 oz being needed. That meant 3 tsp (I tbs) which sounded like a lot. So I decided 1 heaping tsp would be a little over 2 tsp. I figured rounding down like that would put me somewhere around 7% instead of 8%. That sounded safer in light of my bhm friend's comment about sulfur burning her friend's hair.

I tried it on myself for months and it worked fine. I know that some will be a bit more agressive (even tho I always warn against it) and I didn't want anyone to come back and say I caused them damage. Better to err on the side of caution AND, the amount works fine. So, that's how I came up with the amount. I always say 7-8% because it really depends on what one uses as "heaping".

If I say 1 TBS, unless it's a level tbs, some may use more and run the risk of damage in the name of getting great growth. 1 heaping tsp does the job ~ At least that's what I found ~ and has been safely used successfully by others.

Also, I compared my estimations to common dry weight conversions used in cooking. Remember I talked about volume being a factor. Dry rice is gonna be different from dry flour, for instance. I looked at sublimed sulfur like flour and compared the estimates used in cooking conversion charts that I found.

I considered all of the above and feel comfortable with the recipe that I've shared.

Hope that clarifies things for you on how I got that amount and HHG!! :drunk:

Totally clears the cobweb!:grin: thanks NJoy for clarifying that up for me:yep:

I've been on vacation ladies but as soon as I get home I'm joining and listing my concoction that is a slight variation to NJOYS. I'll be a few days behind but that's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hi ladies,

This is my official starting post

Which challenge are you in, 4 or 6 month?
6 months

Which will be in your mixture?
Sulfur,
Oilve Oil,
Avocado Oil,
Grapeseed oil,
Pimento Oil w/JBCO
Apricot Oil
Peppermint Oil
Orange Oil

And I may add some cayenne pepper.

Starting pic
This is how i will be wearing my hair (or something similar) for the entire challenge
2012-09-01181908.jpg

length shots......(best I could do,because I remembered at the right before she was about to style my hair)
2012-09-01161130.jpg

2012-09-01161042.jpg

Here is my info -->

I will start off in the 4 month challenge.
Which will be in your mixture
My mix is most like pink sunshine's

Starting pic
I will come back and post a starting pic
If relaxed, how many weeks post?
I am relaxed but have recently decided to transition. I am 11 weeks post.

I'm in the 6 month challenge. Unfortunately, I won't be able to start till I get back home in 3 wks.
I'm using NJOY'S mixture.
5a35d964.jpg

I'll have to take more pics

Last edited:
QUESTION! I see alot of reports of the sulfur powder causing clumping. Has anyone thought about using sulfur oil instead??n Do you thing it will provide the same effect?

Does anyone plan on washing your hair no less than every two weeks? ( because of protective styling)

Co-washed with Tresemme Naturals this morning. Moisturized and sealed this morning and this evening did the sulphur oil massage in my scalp. Worked out this evening and scalp feels great with coolness from the peppermint and rosemary oils. Love this stuff!!

I've made up my mind, I will attempt to do 2x weekly solely because my hair thrives off of low manipulation and I cannot wash my hair 3 & 4x weekly. 2x is enough.

Co-washed then applied my sulfur mix, then flat twisted. I didn't plan to wash, but I finally found some HH honey and I wanted to try it. Verdict? I'll stick with my hydrolicious.

Re: NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE 2012

I think I want to join this challenge.. I made my mix on a whim today, after like having that sublimed sulfur sitting in my drawer for the past year :look:
Please share the following:
4 month...1 step at a time

Which will be in your mixture?
castor oil, evoo, vatika, rosemary, lavender, and peppermint oil
If different, show your recipe
Starting pic
siggy
If relaxed, how many weeks post?
~8 weeks

Hopefully I get really good growth from this so I can grow out my sides to BSL asap :yep:

So far I've oiled each night since Sat night and it wasn't till I washed tonight that I smelled the sulfur. Yuck! I'm going to add more peppermint oil 'cause I don't want my kinky twists smelling. Other than that my scalp feels great and my hair is so soft(I've had my twists in about 4 weeks).

So here is a pic I took in August. It's the best thing I have. I'm 10 weeks post right now and trying to stretch as long as possible. I have my hair cornrowed and I've been putting my mix on and baggying. I'm trying to go a week without washing my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 15
Last night I oiled my scalp with my mix. I shampooed and DC tonight and used the mix again. Ill give it a rest tomorrow.

Today I put the mix on while I also prepood my hair. It felt really tingly I was kind of worried because I had aloe vera and oil on my hair but it did not seem to make a difference. I left it on for about five hours then I washed it out with black soap and neem oil and slept in the conditioner.

My scalp stayed tingly even after I rinsed it so I guess that is good.

Next time I will put it on before I go to bed and then cowash in the am.

I also have my mix in a bottle with a dropper which worked out really well because I did not have a lot of dripage.

Applied oil today and it came out kind of whitish. I put on my shower cap assuming the steam would help it to melt, but it barely did anything. By the time I got to work it was fine

^I was planning to get under the steamer or dryer with my mixture this weekend but could not find time. Maybe, I will be able to heat penetrate this weekend.

Back