Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Hi Ladies :grouphug3:

It's been so long since I checked in that I got a little confused and posted in the other newbie thread and meant to post here (gosh!!! I noticed that I haven't posted there in months). Here is update my post:

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I last checked in, I've been doing alot of lurking here and there, I've gotten some growth which is good, but I have been feeling a little discouraged because it just seems to be moving so slow. When I joined the forum I had this terrible W shape in the back of my hair (you can see it in my first siggy pic), back in May I thought I trimmed it up, but as my hair grows longer it seems like it's back again:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:, I can pretty much hide it but it's still discouraging because I know it's there. I don't want to trim again until the end of the year so I'll have to keep a watch on it :perplexed. I've changed up my regi a few times, now I'm using Indian shampoo bars, powders and oils, along with my DC's twice a week.

Hey Fiya, are you still using the powders, how are they working for you? I've been trying to use them also, and I think I'm tweaking things enough to start to say I can do it. The first couple of times I used them my hair was nice and full but it looked dry and felt hard, so I've been adjusting the amount of powders and water and things are working out better.

Hey Bign! It's good to hear from you.

I'm growing out some crazy layers, so I understand what it's like to have the hair uneven. But you're making good progress so I'm sure with some more growth and a trim it'll be all right.

It's been so long since I checked in that I got a little confused and posted in the other newbie thread and meant to post here (gosh!!! I noticed that I haven't posted there in months). Here is update my post:

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I last checked in, I've been doing alot of lurking here and there, I've gotten some growth which is good, but I have been feeling a little discouraged because it just seems to be moving so slow. When I joined the forum I had this terrible W shape in the back of my hair (you can see it in my first siggy pic), back in May I thought I trimmed it up, but as my hair grows longer it seems like it's back again:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:, I can pretty much hide it but it's still discouraging because I know it's there. I don't want to trim again until the end of the year so I'll have to keep a watch on it :perplexed. I've changed up my regi a few times, now I'm using Indian shampoo bars, powders and oils, along with my DC's twice a week.

Hey Fiya, are you still using the powders, how are they working for you? I've been trying to use them also, and I think I'm tweaking things enough to start to say I can do it. The first couple of times I used them my hair was nice and full but it looked dry and felt hard, so I've been adjusting the amount of powders and water and things are working out better.
Hey Bign!!! I've been meaning to make a post on how i have been using Ayurveda. But i've been using the Oils and Powders consistently for about 5 weeks. I use Shikakai and Amla as pre-poos. I then do a tea rinse containing 3 tbs amla to 1 tbs of either shikakai or aritha. I was mixing it with water but now i boil Fenugreek seeds and use the tea from that to make my tea. I then apply it all over, no scratching for about 10 minutes. Then i rinse it out until all the grit is gone. I then co-wash 2x with V05 moisture milks conditioner. I do a DC with Queen helene afterwards, rinse that out, apply a leave-in and proceed to doing whatever style i want to do. All in all i like it. Its really thickened up my hair, especially my ends. After my last relaxer, i had to get a trim but on my recent pic i seemed to have gained a nice amount of growth.

You definitely have to tweak it to see what works best for you. Some people pre-poo and use their tea w/o rinsing the oil out. Some like making a paste instead of the tea. I can't do that because it took forever to rinse and the grit was still there. I like using the Fenugreek tea with my powders but that may not work for others. I'm still in the process of learning more about Indian products and what they all do. But i'm going to continue using what i have been because its working for me. ;)
Mid -June
1zfr977.jpg
Beginning of August
24nfcya.jpg

Hey Bign!!! I've been meaning to make a post on how i have been using Ayurveda. But i've been using the Oils and Powders consistently for about 5 weeks. I use Shikakai and Amla as pre-poos. I then do a tea rinse containing 3 tbs amla to 1 tbs of either shikakai or aritha. I was mixing it with water but now i boil Fenugreek seeds and use the tea from that to make my tea. I then apply it all over, no scratching for about 10 minutes. Then i rinse it out until all the grit is gone. I then co-wash 2x with V05 moisture milks conditioner. I do a DC with Queen helene afterwards, rinse that out, apply a leave-in and proceed to doing whatever style i want to do. All in all i like it. Its really thickened up my hair, especially my ends. After my last relaxer, i had to get a trim but on my recent pic i seemed to have gained a nice amount of growth.

You definitely have to tweak it to see what works best for you. Some people pre-poo and use their tea w/o rinsing the oil out. Some like making a paste instead of the tea. I can't do that because it took forever to rinse and the grit was still there. I like using the Fenugreek tea with my powders but that may not work for others. I'm still in the process of learning more about Indian products and what they all do. But i'm going to continue using what i have been because its working for me. ;)
Mid -June
1zfr977.jpg
Beginning of August
24nfcya.jpg

Fiya, that is some awesome progress.

I'm going to stick with it for a while as well, it takes time to get this thing down but all in all I'm liking where it's taking me.

What I've been doing is pre pooing with oils usually a Neem and Brahmi oil mix on my scalp and Alma oil mix on the length of my hair for about 30 min sometimes with heat sometimes without. I rinse and then I either shampoo with an Aritha bar, or do a tea rinse with Alma & Shikakai powder - with both I let it sit on my hair for about 15 min or so before rinsing. Admittedly the shampoo bar is easier of course but I think after I tweak the ratios with the tea I will like it better, when I do the tea rinse my hair gets hard/strong which I like it's just that I'm working on the moisturizing afterward to soften it back up, maybe I'll try a co wash with the VO5 and see how that works. For the grit, what I did was after boiling the tea, I pour it into a plastic containter, so I use an old Tee shirt to strain it as I pour, you should try it. The other change for me was that Before I was using JoJoba to seal and I've switched to Vatika oil which I like much better.

Mid -June Beginning of August

Want to update, I used the tea rinse today, and THANKS Fiya, after I let it sit for about 20 min I did 2 Co Washes with the VO5 Tea Rinse Condish and it worked wonderfully, my hair softened up like butta and then I proceeded to DC. Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!

I picked up the VO5 at my local CVS, for only 99 cents. What made this even better is that I had a 2 dollar coupon so I picked also grabbed a bottle of the VO5 Strawberries & Creme both for free with my coupon. :yay:

Want to update, I used the tea rinse today, and THANKS Fiya, after I let it sit for about 20 min I did 2 Co Washes with the VO5 Tea Rinse Condish and it worked wonderfully, my hair softened up like butta and then I proceeded to DC. Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!

I picked up the VO5 at my local CVS, for only 99 cents. What made this even better is that I had a 2 dollar coupon so I picked also grabbed a bottle of the VO5 Strawberries & Creme both for free with my coupon. :yay:

Thats great!! I'm glad the V05 worked for you. I love that stuff and its very cheap. It also gives a lot of slip. :yep:

Fiya, that is some awesome progress.

I'm going to stick with it for a while as well, it takes time to get this thing down but all in all I'm liking where it's taking me.

What I've been doing is pre pooing with oils usually a Neem and Brahmi oil mix on my scalp and Alma oil mix on the length of my hair for about 30 min sometimes with heat sometimes without. I rinse and then I either shampoo with an Aritha bar, or do a tea rinse with Alma & Shikakai powder - with both I let it sit on my hair for about 15 min or so before rinsing. Admittedly the shampoo bar is easier of course but I think after I tweak the ratios with the tea I will like it better, when I do the tea rinse my hair gets hard/strong which I like it's just that I'm working on the moisturizing afterward to soften it back up, maybe I'll try a co wash with the VO5 and see how that works. For the grit, what I did was after boiling the tea, I pour it into a plastic containter, so I use an old Tee shirt to strain it as I pour, you should try it. The other change for me was that Before I was using JoJoba to seal and I've switched to Vatika oil which I like much better.

I'll have to try that. I never even think about straining,lol. That would be much less hassle if I did.

I've been wanting to try the shampoo bars. How do you like them? And what brand do you use?

Thats great!! I'm glad the V05 worked for you. I love that stuff and its very cheap. It also gives a lot of slip. :yep:

I'll have to try that. I never even think about straining,lol. That would be much less hassle if I did.

I've been wanting to try the shampoo bars. How do you like them? And what brand do you use?

I like the shampoo bar that I've been using alot, leave my hair bouncy and shiny. The one I have is the Aritha Soap by Nirmal, I got it from Amazon.com here is the link and it doesn't cost much either. If you can give it a try, I plan to continue to alternate between the shampoo bar and the tea rinses.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Nirmal+Aritha+Hair+Soap

Good afternoon Ladies.....

So here's the thing...... I rollerset my DD's hair last night. The rolling went well... :blah: but my hair dryer is pitiful and should be :ban: ...3 hr's later and the back of her head is dry and the front is still damp.... DD was seriously ready to throw in the towel.....This is what I used
hairdryer.jpg

These two I read good things about on the board
hairdryer2.jpg
hairdryer3.jpg

I prefer a soft bonnet..I like the portability. What are y'all using and how do you like it ?

Here's a pic of DD's hair
Taylor004.jpg

Last edited:

So here's the thing...... I rollerset my DD's hair last night. The rolling went well... :blah: but my hair dryer is pitiful and should be :ban: ...3 hr's later and the back of her head is dry and the front is still damp.... DD was seriously ready to throw in the towel.....This is what I used
hairdryer.jpg

hairdryer2.jpg
hairdryer3.jpg

I prefer a soft bonnet..I like the portability. What are y'all using and how do you like it ?

Here's a pic of how it turned out
Taylor004.jpg

Klo, your hair is looking thicker and healthier each time I see it. Good job! :yep:. I don't have a soft bonnet dryer, but I have a hooded dryer.

IMG_0196.jpg

It's been good to me so far. I like it and try to use it at least once a week.

Oh, and don't let your DD give up :drunk:.

Klo, your hair is looking thicker and healthier each time I see it. Good job! :yep:. I don't have a soft bonnet dryer, but I have a hooded dryer.

IMG_0196.jpg

It's been good to me so far. I like it and try to use it at least once a week.

Oh, and don't let your DD give up :drunk:.

Thanks Galadriel,

This is a picture of my daughter :yep::yep: not me :nono::nono: LOL... How long does it take your hair to dry ?

Thanks Galadriel,

This is a picture of my daughter :yep::yep: not me :nono::nono: LOL... How long does it take your hair to dry ?

OMG, sorry about the mix up! Your DD's hair is beautiful!
I would say it takes my hair about 40 min. to dry. I mostly use the dryer for deep conditioning, though.

Hi Klo,

I had to take a double take I read your post saying that it was your daughter but she really looks like you from behind, you both have some beautiful heads of hair.

As far as the bonnets sorry I can't be of help, I haven't used any of them but was myself contemplating picking one up just to have options. I use a stand dryer it's not a Pibbs but it's great, I'm usually under it for about an hour, I'm probably dry before that but I always set the timer for that long and I sit until it dings.

This is the one I have http://www.pebcoproducts.com/hairdryers/ED2200.htm

Hey Ladies ..
I'm coming in late ...... but I's here ...
I got my ends trimmed about a month ago my ends were getting so frizzy .. I go to a Dominican salon every other week for my wash and set ... I am not good with washing at home .. My hair is thick so its sooo much easier to let someone else deal with it lol .. but I'm going to try ...maybe lol
My current and only regime is the MN oil concoction I mixed up ..
So far I'm just starting with the MN oil ...

Okay I've made it over here too. I do have a pic in my avatar now but you can barely see it. I played with it a lot too. So next one will be better. I will change once I put in my relaxer next week. What's funny is sometimes the simplest things are hard for me and taking it myself seems impossible. BF took it last night and he tends to come over at night. So I will attempt to take my next one during the day next week after self relaxing.

hairdryer.jpg

hairdryer2.jpg
hairdryer3.jpg

Taylor004.jpg
She has gorgeous hair KLO!!!!!! you are doing a great job. :yep:

Hi ladies!!!!!!! Just checking in. i haven't been on here as much this week because school just started back this week and its been hecticcccc.......... i am getting my hair done tonight so i should be posting pics up sometime this coming up week. i'm attempting a fotki, but its going to take time because i'm lazy with uploading pics,lol. So when i do, i will definitely share it with you ladies. I hope everyone else is doing good as well. :)

KLO! Good lord, you hair is the bomb!!! Girl, you got about 3-4 inches from your avi to your siggy!!! GOOD WORK, Chica!!!! AND, you trimmed over an inch, too....To quote Morenita...:thud:

:thankyou:So much!!!! I 'm glad the Mixed Chicks is working for you. I'll keep it in mind if Joico doesn't work out. I did my DD' s hair as well... It's swangin',bouncin' and is smooth as glass. She won't let me take a picture.:nono: If she keeps flippin' her hair she's gonna get whiplash :lachen:Seriously!!!

Girl, DD's hair is beautiful! It looks like yours from the back!:yep:

Hi Ladies,

bign, girl, your hair is looking lovely! Lemme know how the ayurvedic regi affects your growth...

Mid -June
1zfr977.jpg
Beginning of August
24nfcya.jpg

PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY! I am still loving the highlights...LOVE THEM...:yep:

hairdryer.jpg

hairdryer2.jpg
hairdryer3.jpg

Taylor004.jpg

Girl, I have the gold bonnet one and it gets hots like fiyah!!!! I usually use it on low and take a nap bc it be burning me up and I start sweating when I sit under it! I like it. I dries well and the hood works, too. I can fit large rollers under it as well...

Where is the original newbie page for this post?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194209 Here ya go...

Hi ladies!!!!!!! Just checking in. i haven't been on here as much this week because school just started back this week and its been hecticcccc.......... i am getting my hair done tonight so i should be posting pics up sometime this coming up week. i'm attempting a fotki, but its going to take time because i'm lazy with uploading pics,lol. So when i do, i will definitely share it with you ladies. I hope everyone else is doing good as well. :)

Hey, lady! Good luck in school! I need to get back on track with my FOTKI as well....my no heat challenge is officially over and I need to start back doing the rollersets...too lazy right now, tho-

Hi, all! I just updated my FOTKI with some September pics. Anywhoo...here is my update pic for September...

I washed and roller set, then flat ironed roots. It came out real good, like I had a fresh relaxer:grin:

Attachments

• 100_5395.jpg
    100_5395.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi, all! I just updated my FOTKI with some September pics. Anywhoo...here is my update pic for September...

I washed and roller set, then flat ironed roots. It came out real good, like I had a fresh relaxer:grin:

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
You are working that transition girl!!!!
8-27-08C.jpg

FM! That is some gorgeous hair! You and Klo are just kicking butt!
Good job!

My digi cam battery died so I have to get a new battery, but I will be updating for Sept. also.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

You are working that transition girl!!!!

8-27-08C.jpg

THANKS!!! I am kinda trippin on how great it has been so far.:look: I am really thinking now that I can transition my hair all the way out without sacrificing any length. It's not that much more work for me to flat iron my roots after a roller set and those doggone braidouts have just been such a blessing for me...I am SOOOO enjoying my transition....Now if I can just master this doggone henna+indigo for my gray roots I'll be set!:drunk:

FM! That is some gorgeous hair! You and Klo are just kicking butt!
Good job!

My digi cam battery died so I have to get a new battery, but I will be updating for Sept. also.

Thanks!!! Seriously, tho-I really started thinking I could transition all the way out after looking at your hair after you straighten it out:yep: THANKS for that encouragement!!

Hi ladies!!!!!!! I'm also having problems with my digi. I had hoped to post pics Monday but my cam's battery won't charge. :( So all in due time i guess.

@ FM, i'm so glad your transition is still going strong. Your hair looks amazing!!!!!!

@ Klo, your hair looks pretty and gorgeous as usual :yep:

Just checking in. My hair looks so much better after taking care of it for about a month. I will post pics before and after putting a new relaxer in on November 17 or later if I want to stretch to 12 weeks. I gotta work on my ends though. I may need to add baggying to my regimen. I am almost done with all of my CD products. Switching over to mostly using HairVeda--still trying to use as many natural products as possible. Once I totally switch my regi I will post it. That will probably happen in October.

Just checking in. My hair looks so much better after taking care of it for about a month. I will post pics before and after putting a new relaxer in on November 17 or later if I want to stretch to 12 weeks. I gotta work on my ends though. I may need to add baggying to my regimen. I am almost done with all of my CD products. Switching over to mostly using HairVeda--still trying to use as many natural products as possible. Once I totally switch my regi I will post it. That will probably happen in October.
Hey shay!!!!! I'm checking in as well. I haven't done much to my hair except try and hold out on getting a relaxer,lol. i'm only 6 weeks post but it feels like it did when i was at 8 weeks. I do plan on doing an 11 week stretch this time so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. It does seem like it is growing good though

Ladies, I'm still having camera trouble :sad:.
But just to update, I'm just still hanging onto my reggie, and recently got a wash and press--nothing amazing. I'm trying to focus on thickness. Anyone got any tips?

Ladies, I'm still having camera trouble :sad:.
But just to update, I'm just still hanging onto my reggie, and recently got a wash and press--nothing amazing. I'm trying to focus on thickness. Anyone got any tips?
Hey Galadriel!!!! I know that Ayurveda products really thicken up the hair. I've been using Shikakai and Amla and Mahabhringraj oils and they have thickened up my hair a lot, and my newgrowth.

Hi Ladies!!!!!! Like Galadriel, i am having cam issues still as well. I do plan on updating at the end of the month though, God Willing.

things have been a rollercoaster for me. i have been contemplating on............ Going Natural!!!!! The overall plan is to eventually be texlaxed. I'm currently on my 7th week and i plan on doing an 11 week stretch. If I make it, then that'll let me know if i'm going natural or not. So wish me luck ladies!!!!!! And if i do make it, Then Klo, FM, Phoenixx, Galadriel and all my other natural and transitioning sisters better help me!!!!! :lachen:

Back