New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

It's cool girl I just never thought about doing it until you mentioned it. I definitely think I will go until 18 months, but I'm constantly thinking I can make 2yrs. I want to enjoy my hair when its warm and I will be PS during the colder months. I figure hey I might as well wait unit next July anyway if I wil be hiding my hair.

Chances are time will fly by even quicker with the PS for majority of the time. Just wait until you get those wigs! You're gonna be addicted :lachen:

^^^That's how I was last winter I wore half wigs from Dec-April and I retained so much length and I didn't even realize how fast time flew by. I just need 2-3 more wigs and I'll be good until at least April

Today I am 5 months and 1 week post or 21 weeks! I'm still in braids but I am taking them down for sure this weekend! After that I think I will try braidouts and twistoouts hiding my hair the entire time!

I remember when this happened. Just when you think you have transitioning under control. Nope.

So here is what I did,
1. always do everything is sections and make sure your hair is stretched to avoid demarcation tangles. This is where all my tangles are now. Not the natural hair or the relaxed hair but where they meet, I do everything is sections

2. if you get tried of caring for your tangly hair blow dry it may be a little but of heat but it will save you a few days of fustration. Remember you do always have to flat iron.

3. do a deep moisture treatment, my hair always behaves better after a DC on dry hair with PM detangler, honey, aloe vera, what germ oil, and heat

4. ceramides, I didn't discover this till about month 14 and it saved the breakage factor. I mix what germ oil with whatever I'm sealing with and have seen a big difference in the breakage. I hear hot six oil is good but I have never used it.

5. Also if you aren't doing this wash in braids. I say braids not sections. You need to keep your hair streched and tangle free. I braid my hair pre wash, wet the braid then unravel. shampoo - section - rinse - condition - rebraid.

I hope some thing I wrote helps.

I took your advice (especially the bolded) and I have to say it worked! The shedding has slowed down and the breakage has pretty much come to a standstill. I did a DC with Suave Damage Care (ceramides) mixed w/ olive oil and honey. Then after applying my leave in, I sealed w/ hot six oil which has wheat germ oil (ceramide again). I feel like my hair is back on track (fingers crossed) and hopefully this will allow me to make it to 18 months post or even longer. Thanks again for your advice!
:grin:

Okay I'm stuck in a dilemma.

I'm in the HYH Challenge and got my install done on July 23rd. I usually can keep them in for up to 3 months before my braids get too loose and it needs to come out. Well, I was cowashing every other day and my hair was doing SO well with it that I miss doing it now. The only thing is...my hair seems to be growing faster this way. Its only been over a week and I can pick the braids up already. So...should I keep the install in until October or take this sucka out and start my usual reggie again?? I just miss cowashing :(

I went through this with my recent install I kept it in for exactly 4weeks, but honestly it would have lasted the entire 3 months I planned to keep it in. I just missed co-washing and just dealing with my own hair (as crazy as this may sound) :nuts:. I realized that the human hair sew-in was becoming too much maintenance for me (wash, DC, sit under the dryer, etc). IMO Do you girlie!

Okay I'm stuck in a dilemma.

I'm in the HYH Challenge and got my install done on July 23rd. I usually can keep them in for up to 3 months before my braids get too loose and it needs to come out. Well, I was cowashing every other day and my hair was doing SO well with it that I miss doing it now. The only thing is...my hair seems to be growing faster this way. Its only been over a week and I can pick the braids up already. So...should I keep the install in until October or take this sucka out and start my usual reggie again?? I just miss cowashing :(

I went through this with my recent install I kept it in for exactly 4weeks, but honestly it would have lasted the entire 3 months I planned to keep it in. I just missed co-washing and just dealing with my own hair (as crazy as this may sound) :nuts:. I realized that the human hair sew-in was becoming too much maintenance for me (wash, DC, sit under the dryer, etc). IMO Do you girlie!

:lachen: That doesn't sound crazy b/c I'm in the same boat. With this hair, all I have to do is wash it and spray a little leave-in with some gel and its good to go. I just miss dealing with my natrual texture as it grows. I'm gonna try to stick with it until next month and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

^^^ I am sooo with you on the co-washing and PS. That's the reason I HAD to come out of my install after barely a month. I missed my co-washes.

In other news :D

I am almost 9 months post!!!!!!! (August 7th)

For the last few weeks I've been doing one week bun and next week flat iron. I don't feel so bad doing that because I make sure my hair is thoroughly protected when flat-ironing. The thick and healthiness of my hair reconfirms to me why I am going natural. My hair hasn't shown its true colors in about 3 years. I am excited. I am content right now.

:lachen: That doesn't sound crazy b/c I'm in the same boat. With this hair, all I have to do is wash it and spray a little leave-in with some gel and its good to go. I just miss dealing with my natrual texture as it grows. I'm gonna try to stick with it until next month and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Good Luck !!! I commend all of the ladies who stay in installs for 2-3 months; I realized that I just don't have the patience.

^^^ I'm used to the 2-3 month thing, but that was before I start transitioning. Now I want to baby my NG and see the curlies poppin up :lachen:

Did anyone have to deal with this problem during installs?? These suckers won't cooperate to save my soul :ohwell:

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20
^^^ Thanks! Lol. They were peeking out a little earlier in the week and I cowashed today and BAM! They're supposed to be in the braid. Not roaming around lol

^^^ Thanks! Lol. They were peeking out a little earlier in the week and I cowashed today and BAM! They're supposed to be in the braid. Not roaming around lol

:bat:are you sure you didnt finagle them out to have something to play with during your install?:naughty: because i know i have a habit of doing that to keep me from going through a relapse period :alcoholicduring an install. i understand how you feel about wanting to play with your curlies but as your support system it will be worth it in the end to hold out for as long as possible being that it also helped you retained growth without doing any harm.:meditate: i have been in installs for almost 9 months and i can say it was worth it:cup:....the last few months i will be in braids, because i hand in hair syndrome and at least if its braided i cant do that much harm to my hair. hope this helps a lil.

:bat:are you sure you didnt finagle them out to have something to play with during your install?:naughty: because i know i have a habit of doing that to keep me from going through a relapse period :alcoholicduring an install. i understand how you feel about wanting to play with your curlies but as your support system it will be worth it in the end to hold out for as long as possible being that it also helped you retained growth without doing any harm.:meditate: i have been in installs for almost 9 months and i can say it was worth it:cup:....the last few months i will be in braids, because i hand in hair syndrome and at least if its braided i cant do that much harm to my hair. hope this helps a lil.

Lol! I don't mess with my hair actually when its in the install. I tend to play with the ends of the weave and thats all I've been doing. I just think my hair on my neck curled up and slipped out of the braids. I want to keep this in for 10 more weeks so I can hit my 6 month post mark but idk if I can if my braids loosen up any more or the rest of my hair decides to curl up and slip out of the braids lol

^^^I hope so! How long do you normally keep yours in for? I usually keep mine in from 8-10 weeks depending on how well they were done.

20 weeks post today!!!! :weird: Idk why but I feel like my hair has made it past its awkward teen years into its fun, crazy 20's. :lol: And hoping my hair won't have a midlife crisis in its 30's and 40's :lachen:

20 weeks post today!!!! :weird: Idk why but I feel like my hair has made it past its awkward teen years into its fun, crazy 20's. :lol: And hoping my hair won't have a midlife crisis in its 30's and 40's :lachen:

:lachen: Love it!!!! My hair is definitely in its fun filled 20's. My hair has some "act right" now.

Hi Ladies,

I'm checking in at 46 weeks post. This is my first time posting in this thread. I thought for a long time that I was just stretching my relaxer but I've finally decided to transition. I'm really curious to see what my natural hair looks like since I've had I perm since I was 5, and I'm too far now to turn back so natural here I come!

I'm scared and excited at all the same time. I haven't had much trouble transitioning thus far and I plan to go for 2 years. When I get fed up with my hair I just throw in some braids. Right now I'm wearing extension cornrows which I will keep in for 3 more weeks.

I do have one question for you ladies... when I was relaxed, I could rock a braidout or twistout for up 2 weeks without my hair getting frizzy and drying out. Now with almost 11 months of new growth, I can't get them to last for 2 days. In the morning when I take the twists/braids out my hair is super moisturized but by the end of the day my hair is dry as a birds nest. This only happens with braidouts/twistouts. If I rollerset my hair or wear it in a bun, my hair will stay moisturized for a few days so what am I doing wrong with the braidout/twists outs? Here's what I use...

Pre-poo with a moisturing cond like Ojon shea butter cond or something cheaper like Suave Almond Shea Butter (my hair LOVES shea butter!)

Poo 1x scalp only with Organix sulfate free Coconut Poo

Then cond again for a few minutes (no heat) with either a light protein such as ORS Hair Mayo followed by Aussie Moist or just the Aussie Moist if I skip the protein.

Then final rinse with Roux Porosity control for a few minutes.

I use Lustrasilk Mango Shea Butter Cholesterol as a leave-in sealed with coconut oil. My hair feels like heaven afterwards.

I use my shea butter/EVOO/EVCO mix along the length of my hair while braiding and I used Africa's Best Carrot Oil on my hands while unbraiding once it's dry.

So ladies what do you think I'm doing wrong? I stopped using mousse but when I do, I use Organix Coconut mousse.

TIA!

Those that get sew ins, how are you getting the outer parts done? Like are you leaving hair out or you getting the closure part? I want to get a sew in, and my Niece wants to do it, but she wants to cornrow my hair with Synthetic briaded hair to help the weave stay in longer.... and then she wants to do the closure, But I have seen alot of people have to use the Glue for closure, I do not like the Glue.

~Thanks~

^^^I usually leave some out at the top and around the edges in case I want to pull it up into a ponytail

Those that get sew ins, how are you getting the outer parts done? Like are you leaving hair out or you getting the closure part? I want to get a sew in, and my Niece wants to do it, but she wants to cornrow my hair with Synthetic briaded hair to help the weave stay in longer.... and then she wants to do the closure, But I have seen alot of people have to use the Glue for closure, I do not like the Glue.

~Thanks~

I'm currently wearing a micro sew in...sew in in the back and I have micros in the front. I tried to wear my hair out in the front and I just didn't like the two textures. I like the micro sew in bc my hair is still protected. I've attached a pic of how it looks right now.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-07-30 at 17.00 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-07-30 at 17.00 #2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
I'm currently wearing a micro sew in...sew in in the back and I have micros in the front. I tried to wear my hair out in the front and I just didn't like the two textures. I like the micro sew in bc my hair is still protected. I've attached a pic of how it looks right now.

VERY CUTE! How long does that last?

VERY CUTE! How long does that last?

Thanks! My last install i kept in maybe 3 1/2 weeks...that's just because I got bored with it. I think I may try for two months with this one bc it has a natural feel; I'll just re-braid the front in between and re-install. I'm thinking about doing dry wash with witch hazel for when my hair feels icky. If that works out then 2 months look promising! :)

I meant to do this yesterday but...

I'm 1 year post relaxer!!!!!!!
:grin::bouncegre:dance7::band2::band::clapping: :yay::bouncy:

My hair is hovering just above APL and has been for months now. So I'm going to get it cut to SL and then maintain that length until I'm finally all natural.

Back