New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

I finally did it!

I BC'ed on Sunday after transitioning for almost 16 months! This thread has been a lifesaver for me throughout this transition.

Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations, Alta Angel!!! I'm so happy for you! :dance7: :dance7: :dance7:

Your hair looks beautiful!

Congratulations AltaAngel! As for me, I'm torn. I'm 7 months into transition, last night I dc'd with Lustrasilk Olive Oil cholesterol and...drum roll...combed my hair afterward. Long strands of straight hair came out in clumps...tears...sobs...throwing up. I'm assuming it all broke off at the line of demarcation. I can't tell exactly where yet, because I have it in a clip under a conditioning cap. But wooo! This transition is a trip. I almost feel like my hair does better with a perm. I'm going to try to hold out, but if I don't see growth soon, I might have to go the other way.

Thank you everyone!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW YOUR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL.....:dance7:

I can't wait to see the pics :)

wtg Alta! &your hair is so cute in your siggy!

Congratulations, Alta Angel!!! I'm so happy for you! :dance7: :dance7: :dance7:

Your hair looks beautiful!

:wiggle: :woot: :pulpdance: :yahoo: Way to To Alta Angel!!!!

Congratulations AltaAngel! As for me, I'm torn. I'm 7 months into transition, last night I dc'd with Lustrasilk Olive Oil cholesterol and...drum roll...combed my hair afterward. Long strands of straight hair came out in clumps...tears...sobs...throwing up. I'm assuming it all broke off at the line of demarcation. I can't tell exactly where yet, because I have it in a clip under a conditioning cap. But wooo! This transition is a trip. I almost feel like my hair does better with a perm. I'm going to try to hold out, but if I don't see growth soon, I might have to go the other way.

OMG!!! Can I just say "Where have I been?!?" I am starting to get a little worried with my hair as it is growing out because it seems to frizz almost instantly when I comb after my wash days. I ONLY comb on my wash days so that seemed to worry me. Well, I had bought a brush a while back when it was on sale (kind of like this one):

but I never used it because I figured that I would wait until I was 100% natural. I just tried it for the first time yesterday because I just read up on Terri's method once again (daydreaming of my hair being that long and natural) and wanted to see how it worked. IT WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! I thought my comb was wide enough or whatever to handle my hair but I was highly mistaken. I LOVED the results!! No frizz, just smooth wavy hair. I am hooked! Question though: Would using this "brush" constitute TRUE brushing or does this seem to be more along the lines of a denman brush (which I'm assuming it ok to use for natural hair)? Thanks and I will post pics this weekend of the difference the two made for me.

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5
I'm 5 months today and I'm getting impatient with how long these next 3 months are gonna be!!! I'm ready to flat iron it and see my progress dangit!!!

I'm lovin' my hair and it seems as though others are too. I wore my hair out 2 days ago but then got discouraged (AGAIN!) and have been wet bunning it these past 2 days. A co-worker came by and asked why I'm not wearing it out. They said that they liked it that way. :yay: I think I will wear it out tomorrow then, lol!

Hey ladies,
I haven't checked in for a long time but I wanted to wish you all the best in your transitions and to let you know that I finally snipped off all my relaxed ends about 2 weeks ago. I transitioned in braids for 2 years and 4 months-ish. A couple of pics:
DSC00775.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

Thanks for the support

Congratulations Sequoia, your hair is pretty.

Just came in to say, I'm 9 months post and in the process of doing senegalese twists

Checking in at 7 months post (31 weeks). I have been cutting little by little every 3 to 4 weeks. So I'm about SL all around un-stretched and APL stretched. I hope to make it 12 months post then decide if I want to BC. Everyday my hands are itching to BC because I'm really like my curls. I have about 4 inches of NG so I know I'm past the TWA stage if I was to BC. My styles of choice are braid-out, baggie-bun, and up-dos. I DC twice a week, and shampoos before the DCs. I notice I need more protein DCs then moisture due to the two texture being so fragile. So I "paint" my hair with a applicator brush with the DC to make sure I saturate it.

Just wanted to share that i'm on my 19th week plus some change...:grin:

Everything is still going smoothly....i co washed yesterday and i have SO much newgrowth i couldn't believe i had no problem dealing with it.

Question for the ladies pulling their hair back in buns and ponytails...what are you using to tie them?

Right now i use Ouchless bands or the Ouchless barrette thingy made by Goody...but my sides like to try to squish out when i use them...mainly with the barrette. I'm thinking i might HAVE to get the bungee thingys from Sally's to make my hair stay like i want it to.:perplexed

Question for the ladies pulling their hair back in buns and ponytails...what are you using to tie them?

Right now i use Ouchless bands or the Ouchless barrette thingy made by Goody...but my sides like to try to squish out when i use them...mainly with the barrette. I'm thinking i might HAVE to get the bungee thingys from Sally's to make my hair stay like i want it to.:perplexed

I use elastic hair bands.....the kind that you normally use on your head...but i use them as the holder or sometimes i use spin pins or little baby claw clips

I am scared of getting breakage along the line of hair bands so I have been using this and it has been GREAT!!!

It works wonders and then, after putting it on, I smooth my hair done with Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and slap on a silk hair scarf. I wear the scarf for about 20-30 minutes (while I am getting dressed and putting on makeup) and then I am good to go for the rest of the day.

Attachments

• haircomb.jpg
    haircomb.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 5

I also use the Ouchless bands and barrettes. I love them. Sometimes, I will use black scrunchies or my Goody Spin Pins.

I use elastic hair bands.....the kind that you normally use on your head...but i use them as the holder or sometimes i use spin pins or little baby claw clips

I am scared of getting breakage along the line of hair bands so I have been using this and it has been GREAT!!!

It works wonders and then, after putting it on, I smooth my hair done with Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and slap on a silk hair scarf. I wear the scarf for about 20-30 minutes (while I am getting dressed and putting on makeup) and then I am good to go for the rest of the day.

I also use the Ouchless bands and barrettes. I love them. Sometimes, I will use black scrunchies or my Goody Spin Pins.

I too use the Spin Pins...i haven't tried that plastic hair thingy yet tho TruMe

But i have an issue with my hair squishing out sideways after i tie it in a bun or a ponytail after i co-wash....i don't have this problem when i flat iron.:ohwell:

SE- I usually get mine from the BSS. Although I did get a nice satin bonnet from CVS once!

I've been in braids for exactly 25 days today and I miss my hair :sad: But a huge part of me loves that I can sleep later because I'm not fussing with my hair!

ETA: I'm coming up 26 weeks and I will transition for at least two years. I've never had hair shorter than SL so I'd like my natural hair to fall around there unstretched.

Last edited:
Hey ladies I'll be 15 months post on Sunday I'm so excited I think I will buy myself a new 1/2 wig. Other than that transitioning has definitely been a breeze; I've been under my wig almost 2 months and my morning routine has definitely thanked me for it.

Last edited:
5 months worth of NG is something I'm not used to seeing, but I absolutely LOVE IT!!! but I've noticed it's not as curly as it was in the beginning. Now it's more of a deep wave. Can't wait to keep a close eye on it as the transition goes on.

5 months worth of NG is something I'm not used to seeing, but I absolutely LOVE IT!!! but I've noticed it's not as curly as it was in the beginning. Now it's more of a deep wave. Can't wait to keep a close eye on it as the transition goes on.

It's it great to see all that NG and the way it grows out.. I am just loving mine its growing in a spiral motion almost like straw curls or flexi rod curls but very small spiral..

I'm attempting to do my hair without using a blow dryer or flat iron this wknd for the first time ever. I'm soooo scared I'm going to end up with tangled knotted hair leading to breakage.

Back