New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

I'm 15 months post today! I have been mostly bunning for the past month because my twistouts always seem to result in massive tangles. I've worn my straight half wig once or twice but not only is it due to be replaced, it's kind of too long for my liking (weird because I loved it last winter).

I am still concentrating on ceramides and moisture and on a good week I DC twice and usually with heat. I just figured out I have to use aphogee on my ends at least biweekly or problems ensue.

At this point, I feel like I can make it to my planned BC in May 2011. Hopefully I'll make it through the winter. I am really anxious to have fun with my hair again, lol.

Bunning until whenever
ill admit that i am bored with my hair. consemplating if i will install braids in my hair or not.............
may do the bc by the end of this year but then again i want to wait it out a lil more

I've recently learned that my relaxed hair cannot handle cowashing more than once a week. So I will be moisturizing my natural roots daily and moisturizing my relaxed hair as needed. Man, I really enjoyed cowashing. :perplexed

Last edited:
Hey ladies here is some information I got from a Website while looking for a natural salon.. She is located in Raleigh, NC

How To Transition
Generally speaking, depending on the amount of new growth you have, your initial transition may or may not be stressful. If you don't have a lot of new growth you will be able to wear your hair out as usual. At this stage the new growth is minimal - barely noticeable. However, as your new growth continues to thicken, it will become increasingly difficult to mange two types of hair. At this point you should make a decision about your next stage.

The top four options are:
1. The BIG chop - highly recommended and the most important step of your natural journey
2. Twists - will have difficulty staying in due to the straight ends, but can be set on rollers for longevity
3. Straw sets - alternative for working with straight ends not ready for the BIG chop
4. Twist & braid outs - another great alternative to working with straight ends not ready for the BIG chop. Twist or braid the hair up after shampooing and sit under the dryer. Take it out once it is dry. You may also roller up the ends for a little more curl.

Natural Hair Must Haves

Having the proper tools will assist you in handling your natural hair. Below is a list of the top five tools all naturals should have in their possession.
Wide Tooth Comb: Combing your hair can be painful-especially when it is dry. A wide tooth comb will detangle the hair without ripping it out from the root. The wider the tooth the better for your hair. Take the hair in sections and comb through while it is moist.
Wide Tooth Rattail Comb: Great for parting the hair into sections. Use the tail instead of the teeth. This will reduce tangles and makes styling your hair go much faster.
Moisturizing Shampoo and Lite Scalp Crème: Your scalp must be moisturized for optimum health. Avoid products that contain mineral oil, petroleum, lanolin, and those exclusively made of beeswax. These products will clog your pores and disrupt hair growth.
Spray Bottle: We have been conditioned to believe that water is a detriment to our hair. For relaxed hair this is the case, conversely, water is essential for natural hair. Water will now help you to comb through, manage, and style your hair with ease. A spray bottle of water with a few drops of essential oil is a must have for natural hair.

Moisture
As previously mentioned, water is the key to maintaining moisture. Just as it is a vital nutrient for the body, it is equally important for the hair. The key to managing your moisture is to incorporate a regular routine.

Points to Remember
1. Never moisturize a dry scalp.
2. Always precede your moisturizing routine by spraying your scalp with water.
3. A light scalp crème should be applied to your scalp while it is still moist and gently massaged in to stimulate the scalp. This process locks in extra moisture from the water, which allows the crème to better penetrate the pores.
4. Avoid being a "product junkie" because your hair and scalp will suffer from product build up.

I just thought the thing about the scalp cream was interesting.. Too late for #4 for me.. lol

Natural Roots by Jey :: The Triangle's Natural Hair Care Service

Yup sherrylstresses my hair went through that stage a couple of months ago I had to go from 3 times a week to once a week..... Then eventually it stopped acting up lol may have been my incorporation of ceramics I'm not sure but the relaxed hair isn't stretching and snapping all over the place anymore like it was

There's some good info in there ladymacgyver but they clearly don't know what they're talking about regarding relaxed hair not needing water smh

Yea I have to agree with you on that.. I really wouldn't mind trying a lite scalp cream and see if there is any difference with my hair.. I been researching for one most of the day and nothing yet.. Might just try to make one myself and use shea butter as the base maybe that will be ok..

I think getting this beehive set of cornrows is gonna make my transition even more easier to go through. Even though I'm still green in my journey, I'm looking forward to everything that comes my way. Now I just gotta finally find my staples.

My first milestone in protective styling. I made a braid that looked decent! I plan to wear 2 braids for the rest of my transition and moisturize it daily. I just need to find a way to make the ends stay.:rolleyes: I am going to practice daily to get better.:yep:

I CAN CORNROW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does the humpty dance* lol

I am about to co-wash and see what I can do on semi-dry hair. I am sooo freaking excited.

I'm past the 14 month post mark.

Random thought - my hair looks plain stupid when it's wet - :lol: and i think i really should cut the ends off but they are only now starting to measure shorter than my natural hair which is over 6 inches long in most places.
When i blow my hair out it is huge.

Detangling now is no longer the battle it was. I really do believe the first year is the hardest especially if you have thin hair.

If i did BC now the back would be shoulder length but the front grows foolishly slow and only hits bridge of my nose.

My lastest everyday style is a middle parting with two buns behind my ears. The front is slicked down with gel and held in place with a scarf until i go out. Looks even better if i flatriron first. It looks cute and not as childish as it sounds with a bit of make up and cute earrings!

15 months post!!!:party: :dance7:
I'm so happy I made it this far, I think I will be chopping earlier because I'm hiding my hair until the spring.

I am 30 weeks post. Tomorrow will be my 7 month post mark. I better stop counting weeks and switch to months now since I am getting lost in the count. I plan on braiding it up for next year. I have the single braids until end of October (if i get too busy will push it through to end of November) Next time I will be doing kinky twists and maybe extension dreadlocks once i feel confortable on the removal of these. Else I will start crochet braiding for the spring summer 2011 :).

I have been Transitioning for 3 Months, Started with 2 inches of Texturized hair, now I have 1 inch of Natural Hair and 2 inches of Texturized hair, I have been transitioning by way of Cornrows, Braids, or Kinky Twist, but my style of choice is Cornrows with Extensions, My hair seems to be florishing when in cornrows, I am planning to chop in January, hopefully I will have 3 inches of natural hair by then, and then just continue to hide my hair until July 2011, with the same routine, Braids, Cornrows etc. I make sure to put my hair money to the side along with my Braiding Hair!

My first attempt at a braid out...I'm excited. If I can keep this up, I might actually transition until summer 2011. :yay::band:

c7f5c44d-1.jpg

dda85bdc-1.jpg

Nikki, how did you get your braid out to look like that?!?!?! It is beautiful!!! I can't braid well, so I worry about what I will do when I get the braids out next month (I am almost 16 weeks post right now)...how big were your braids? Did you use rollers at the ends for a nice curl? Share your wisdom PLEASE! TIA

Nikki, how did you get your braid out to look like that?!?!?! It is beautiful!!! I can't braid well, so I worry about what I will do when I get the braids out next month (I am almost 16 weeks post right now)...how big were your braids? Did you use rollers at the ends for a nice curl? Share your wisdom PLEASE! TIA

Jinez,

Awww thank you SOOOOOO Much. That really put a smile on my face. I literally JUST learned to braid on Friday. First I started with freshly washed hair. I added Mixed Chicks leave-in (love this stuff), then added castor oil. I let my hair air dray about 80 - 85%, then put the braids in (I believe I put about 8 braids going back.) I put satin covered foam rollers at the end, tied it up with a satin scarf and went to sleep. In the morning I put alittle oil on my hand to combat frizz and unraveled the braids. My hair has a definite hold on it but it is really soft.

If I can do this I know you can, I am 31 and JUST learned to braid. I practiced on a mannequin while watching youtube videos. HTH and the BEST to you.

Also Thank you ladies for the compliments, I greatly appreciate them :D

Last edited:
do you ladies use a detangler? and if so, which? I'll be 6 months post this month and I'd like to have one in my stash in cash combing through after the braids come out gets a wee bit harder.

do you ladies use a detangler? and if so, which? I'll be 6 months post this month and I'd like to have one in my stash in cash combing through after the braids come out gets a wee bit harder.

I used to use Mane N Tail; but, after a few tries, I realize that I didn't need it since I detangle only when I co-wash.

Back