New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Hello ladies,

5 months post and transitioning.

You know how most people meet resistance - to their going natural - by family members... so here is another approach, to educate them. Them being close loved ones whose opinion actually matter - and that is just a handful of people (hopefully)... the rest can just kick rocks :giggle:. The steps below are a softer approach to getting what you want i.e. if want you want is to transition in peace. :o:Rose:

Step 1 :getting them to see how beautiful they are and to love themselves . Not over emphasizing hair all the time but just letting them know they are fearfully and wonderfully made. Recognize that the problem they have is not with you but themselves. Their thoughts and insecurities.

Step 2 : explain the costs ( to finances, health, individuality and self image) and potential dangers of improperly relaxing ( weakened hair, scalp issues, the chemicals used in relaxers ). Of course you have to be educated yourself on an issue before you can educated others. Do lots of research as to the why of people relaxing.

Step 3 : point out all the benefits to going natural. (i) being able to wash whenever, hair always smelling yummy (ii) having fun on the regular without all the anxiety of wondering what the weather willl be ( iii) getting fitter/healthier/sexier without worring about spending hours for hair to look presentable and smelling awesome (iv) show via - pictures - the versatility of natural hair - much love to BMP (v) get them to realize that long healthy hair of any texture is beautiful (vi) tansition to texlaxed first.
Step 4 : do long stretches before texlaxing to get them acquainted with the natural texture and just how beautiful it is as well as to help you learn how to deal with it.

Step 5: transition in a loving supportive environment.

Note: Going natural with the " in yo face attitude " works for some but not all. You are the only one who can actually count the cost to see if it is worth forcing the natural issue or a big chop on those you love. Some LHCFers seem to big chop out of frustration of not knowing how to deal with both textures... some regret it , some don't.

This approach is just a suggestion of how you may give yourself and those you love time to adjust to you being natural/ texlaxed / heat trained ( if that is what you desire ) in a happy supportive environment..:rosebud:

1Pe 3:11
(11) Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.

Thank you @bolded!! This morning I had my first weak moment thinking about relaxing. I saw a nice relaxed head on my way to work. Your words reminded me of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I am pretty sure that I will be cutting these last few, scraggly, relaxed ends soon. I only have about 3 inches of relaxed ends in the front. I was going to try to hold out until Dec, but there is really no need. My hair is long enough for a high pony puff, so I can still wear the bun until it grows out some more.

I'll be sure to post pics when and if I do!

I have to find something else to do with my hair besides wet buns. My hair is starting to look a HAM. :wallbash: The front half of my hair is just a bunch of frizzy waves and the other half up unto the pony tail looks like a stringy mess. I dont know what to do with it any more!

Girl lemme tell ya....when in doubt....do a flexi-rod set!!:yep:....go get you some orange or blue flexi rods....i like the ones from Sally's bc they're longer than the ones i've seen in the BSS's....and...i got my method from...i forgot her name its blkchina or something like that on youtube....and it works EVERYTIME!!....and they are SUPER easy to use...this coming from someone with virtually no attention span...okay?....:laugh:...so maybe you should give these a try.

ETA:...her name was bronzeg....i JUST remembered it!:lol:

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that I will be cutting these last few, scraggly, relaxed ends soon. I only have about 3 inches of relaxed ends in the front. I was going to try to hold out until Dec, but there is really no need. My hair is long enough for a high pony puff, so I can still wear the bun until it grows out some more.

I will be waiting for pics

Over nine months post! :yay:
Now I'm protective styling again and reducing manipulation.
I also am trying to find how to minimise my breakage and help detangling!

I couldn't find anything to do with my hair, so I decided that I would DC and just give myself some time to figure out what I wanted to do. I also decided to take pics. I'm 25 weeks post and I'm 6 days away from being 6 months post. I'm so excited!

6monthspost.jpg

I'm starting to think my hair hasn't grown...or either its been breaking off!!!:perplexed

But i haven't really been using heat on it...i dunno what the issha is..yes...issha. I think my hair is finally starting to shrink up since i flat ironed it on Thursday. This bites so bad!!!...we'll see come the 22nd....i asked my sister if i was Full WL at least and she's all....you're there but not full:whyme:....i'm still hoping to be at least at Full WL by the end of the year so...hmph we'll see bout DAT!:fistshake:

I couldn't find anything to do with my hair, so I decided that I would DC and just give myself some time to figure out what I wanted to do. I also decided to take pics. I'm 25 weeks post and I'm 6 days away from being 6 months post. I'm so excited!

6monthspost.jpg

looking good girl! you should so post that in your NG thread to get it revitalized. I can't wait to take mine, but it won't be until the end of the year. I don't wanna see it until then for a "big reveal" lol. What DC do you use?

looking good girl! you should so post that in your NG thread to get it revitalized. I can't wait to take mine, but it won't be until the end of the year. I don't wanna see it until then for a "big reveal" lol. What DC do you use?

I mixed ORS Hair Mayo and Skala Choco Masque. I tried to find the NG thread, but its like it went poof!

Three months post as of today :) Need to find something to help me detangle my new growth though. After another two weeks, I will be in COMPLETELY uncharted territory. I have NEVER gone longer than 14 weeks without relaxing my hair...oh boy...*takes deep breath*

Three months post as of today :) Need to find something to help me detangle my new growth though. After another two weeks, I will be in COMPLETELY uncharted territory. I have NEVER gone longer than 14 weeks without relaxing my hair...oh boy...*takes deep breath*

Have you purchased a detangler? Like Mane n Tail detangler? I used the Breck's Kids Detangler from Dollar Tree up until around 5 or 6 months post and it worked well.

I'm so proud of myself right now! I'm still in my braids and have no desire whatsoever to take them out. I think I can hang with them until next month with no problem. Now only if I can learn how to do my own cornrows...

very proud of myself.....checking in at 15 months post :D
i was getting very fed up with my bun and my ng fighting me but today i did a side bun and lets say i will be doing another one tomorrow. even though it made me look like a teen lol

My hair is much shorter than yours, but I also only have about 3 inches of relaxed ends left at the top. The back is all natural. I'm not in a rush to cut them tho.

The relaxed ends are so much thinner than the natural ends. The hair that is all natural has the same thickness from root to tip, where as the hair that still has relaxer in it gets very thin towards the ends. I hope my hair continues to maintain this same thickness once it is all natural and gets longer, that would be soooo great if it does.

:hiya2: SherylsTresses checking in at 1 year and 1 1/2 months. I'm still wearing braided ponytail in a bun and sometimes just clinching my braided ponytail upwards as my daily styles.

9 and 1/2 months post! :grin:

Wow, didn't actually think I could make it this far.:yay:

Right now I'm wearing sad, pathetic twists. I don't even know why I try. I redid my entire head and by the end of the day, the parts aren't even visible.:lol: I don't think I'll ever get visible parts again. I have too much hair and that are medium stranded. :ohwell: I'll probably get cornrows again. :yawn:

Last edited:
For the first time since i started my HHJ i have a dandruff issue...:blush:

Yeah...i'm gonna flat iron my hair again today after i wash it VERY well and then after a week or so of wearing it straight again i'm gonna go back to co washing 1x or 2x a week.

Checking in at 17 weeks!!! Normally I'd have a relaxer at this point. I'm so proud of myself. My transition feels much more real now.

I'm really craving some Rosemary oil for my aloe vera gel/water mix. But, I'm broke as all hell.

Congrats to all the ladies that are now in double digit months post!!!! I'm comin right behind ya!!!...i got bout 5 more months before i get there though...that is just amazing to me:yep:

15 weeks. Or is it 16? I'm having trouble finding styles that look neat...I mixed castor oil into my leave-in mix and now my flexi-rod sets look limp and frizz at the slightest touch. I blame the castor oil because before I added it my flexi-sets resulted in defined, soft curls that lasted the whole week. Now my hair is greasy and the curls limp and frizzy...yet my hair feels crunchy.
That will teach me to jump on every bandwagon :-(

Can't wait to use up that mix!

Back