New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Hi Ladies,

I'm about to hit 1 yr post next week and I'm seriously struggling with styling options. Braids outs no longer work for me because my roots puff up too much and the frizz is out of control. I'm thinking I need to start adding a curly pudding or something with hold to all of my styles.

This weekend I plan to try a rollerset with mousse or some other type of holding product. I know my roots won't get straight but I'm fine with that as long as the curls hold. I can always use a headband to hide the roots.

So ladies do you have any suggestions of styling products I should be using at this point in my transition? My shampoos and conditioners are working great as my hair is very soft. It's just styling products I need help with. I think I am mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my crown. TIA!

When you do your braidouts, do you smooth the top down with a brush or comb and then tie it down with a scarf? Do you do plaits or corn rolls? What exactly is your braidout technique?

^^After I wash and cond, I put in a leave in which is usually a small amount of a cheapie cond then I seal with coconut oil. I smooth my hair back with a comb and tie it down with a satin scarf for about 30 min to an hour so that my hair airdries a bit as well as the front lays flat making the cornrows look neater in the front (I never unravel the whole braid. I always leave the very front braided so that the style lasts longer.) I can cornrow but I'm not the best so most of the time my sister braids it for me. She applies some shea butter or sometimes mousse before braiding then more shea butter at the ends after braiding. I roll the ends with satin pillow rollers and tie with a satin scarf then airdry over night.

When I take them down in the morning, I cover my hands with Africa's Best Carrot Oil to help prevent frizzies but it still frizzes about 10 minutes later. My hair used to stay moisturized for 2-3 days with this style and all I need was carrot oil to re-moisturize, but now it's dry by the end of the day and carrot oil alone doesn't help. I have to mist it with some water then seal with the carrot oil or some shea butter which of course makes the curls drop even more. I have been able to wear this style for longer than a day or two now.

Have you ever tried to do the braidout with just plaits instead of cornrows? Do you use cones? Thru could be drying your hair out. Also to make my braidouts last, I rebraid in 2 or 4 braids every night

@Reminiscing - I use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue when I do my twistouts and they last about 3-4 days. You might want to try this or the Curly Pudding. They work great. You could also try Shingling with their products (if you are all natural). I can't wait to be able to do this style.

Have you ever tried to do the braidout with just plaits instead of cornrows? Do you use cones? Thru could be drying your hair out. Also to make my braidouts last, I rebraid in 2 or 4 braids every night

@Reminiscing - I use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue when I do my twistouts and they last about 3-4 days. You might want to try this or the Curly Pudding. They work great. You could also try Shingling with their products (if you are all natural). I can't wait to be able to do this style.

LaFemmeNaturelle - Thanks for the tips! I've thought about doing plaits instead of the cornrows but I was nervous the curls wouldn't be as defined with cornrows but I will def give it a try.

And thanks TruMe for the Miss Jessie suggestions. There's a Ricky's near me that sells the small jar so I think I will get some to experiment.

I'm going to try a rollerset tomorrow night and then I'll try the braidout again next week. I'll keep you posted.

25 weeks today! I'm closing in on 6 months. Never thought I could go this far, but I'm LOVING the few inches of natural hair that I DO have.

Hey ladies! I was wondering what type of protein treatments you recommend. I'm transitioning from long relaxed hair to natural and I don't plan on doing a BC for at least a year...maybe longer. My hair is currently in great shape, and I want to keep it strong. What do you recommend, and how often should I use it?

Hey ladies! I was wondering what type of protein treatments you recommend. I'm transitioning from long relaxed hair to natural and I don't plan on doing a BC for at least a year...maybe longer. My hair is currently in great shape, and I want to keep it strong. What do you recommend, and how often should I use it?

I use Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor when I feel I need some protein. I don't use heavy protein, though.

I'm 62 weeks post today and I'm getting the BC itch yet again:look:. I think I will hold until at least 15 or 16 months post and take it one day at a time from there. Transitioning is going pretty smoothly since I started my fall reggie:
I keep my hair braided underneath halfwigs daily and redo 2x a week; 1x to co-wash and 1x to DC and use my Amla/Brahmi paste. I only shampoo 2x a month (1x with moisturizing poo and 1x with clarfying poo). I moisturize daily with with my homemade spritz ( aloe vera juice, hempseed oil & AOHSR) and I apply a heavy moisturizer when I redo my braids (mizani butter rich sealed with hempseed oil & almond butter) .​

Good Luck Transitioning Ladies!:grin:

^^^how do you blend your NG with the half wig? I've been thinking about investing in a few, but I don't want to flat iron my hair that often to get it to blend with a straighter wig.

Hey everybody!:wave:

Just checkin in....i'm 17 weeks post and i decided to flat iron my hair...its already starting to shrink up though...can't wait for the cold weather so my flt ironings can last much much longer:laugh:

I don't leave any hair out, I push back the wig, slick down the front with some gel and put a nice headband on to hide the where the wig starts
^^^how do you blend your NG with the half wig? I've been thinking about investing in a few, but I don't want to flat iron my hair that often to get it to blend with a straighter wig.

LOL!!!!:rofl:.....you crack me up Femme!!!:laugh:.....how about this?.....i'll take a whole bunch of style pics now and then around the time of my length check....perhaps next month....i'll show them all?...something about me constantly seeing my hair causes me to become discouraged about my progress..thats why i don't post too many pics:perplexed

20 weeks post and my family still is giving me grief about my decision to go natural. today my mom and oldest sister told me to stop kidding myself and just get a relaxer :(

SE you're just trucking along with your transition AND you have your count down pat now lol

Okay?!...:laugh:....play wit it if ya wanna!!!:grin:......hey is it just me....or does anybody else here think there hair is doing much better now that they're transitioning?....you'll see when i post pics later this year...my flat ironed hair is thicker....the area by me left ear where i have breakage is growing back nicely:yep:....i really like this whole transitioning thing!!:woohoo2:

ITA! My hair has gotten so much healthier and thicker since I started. Even when I flat iron, it only takes one pass now instead of 3 or 4 just to get it straight. Idk what it is, but I like it! :D

:hiya2: I am one year and one month post :gorgeous:

I recently had protein overload by using AO GPB in braids for longer than recommended time. My hair became very weak. So I clarified in loose open hair and it's back to normal now. Whew...!!!

Okay?!...:laugh:....play wit it if ya wanna!!!:grin:......hey is it just me....or does anybody else here think there hair is doing much better now that they're transitioning?....you'll see when i post pics later this year...my flat ironed hair is thicker....the area by me left ear where i have breakage is growing back nicely:yep:....i really like this whole transitioning thing!!:woohoo2:

I think that my hair is so much more healthier. My natural hair gives me the thickness I could never get with relaxed hair. I am enjoying managing my own hair and not depending on a stylist that can over process heat damage my fine strands. I am loving the versatility of the styles and am just very happy with my decision to transition.

I have to find something else to do with my hair besides wet buns. My hair is starting to look a HAM. :wallbash: The front half of my hair is just a bunch of frizzy waves and the other half up unto the pony tail looks like a stringy mess. I dont know what to do with it any more!

Tomorrow will be 14 weeks of my transition. It was going well, but after washing and conditioning yesterday my hair was dry and brittle once it dried. I didn't deep condition so I'll co-wash and dc then do a flexi-rod set tonight.

Tomorrow will be 15 weeks of my transition. It was going well, but after washing and conditioning yesterday my hair was dry and brittle once it dried. I didn't deep condition so I'll co-wash and dc then do a flexi-rod set tonight.

Back