New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Still transitioning. I am 58 weeks and 3 days today. :grin:

I cut a strand of hair off last night, and it felt good. Too good! I think I may BC in the next 30 days.

hair cut.jpg

hair natural.jpg

hair length.jpg

Last night I dusted off my hot rollers and rolled up my week old flat ironed hair. I then pin curled it for the night. I loooove the results and I don't have to "bump" my ends during the week. I will do this nightly (hot rollers,pin curl) to preserve my style. I hope to do this unless I start to see any damage to my hair. If it works I might be able to transition until next year.

m26pf.jpg

1zwhuzn.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin Fab!!!....Nikki:laugh:<----that is cute!!

I'm loving my hair so much ya'll:D.....next week i'll post updates on my blog..since Fotki is the devil right now:grin:.....i'm so excited.....i've calculated the weeks and by the end of the year i'll be 8 months post!!!:woot:

This transitioning thing is actually fun!!:yep:

I think by the time i'm like 9 months post...i might chop off a hidden strand....i'm so eager to see what my curlies might look like!!.....is there a way you can guesstimate what it might look like just by looking at you new growth?

Last night I dusted off my hot rollers and rolled up my week old flat ironed hair. I then pin curled it for the night. I loooove the results and I don't have to "bump" my ends during the week. I will do this nightly (hot rollers,pin curl) to preserve my style. I hope to do this unless I start to see any damage to my hair. If it works I might be able to transition until next year.

Your hair looks FABULOUS!!! I'm pulling out my hot rollers tomorrow! My week old flat-ironed hair has also lost all it's body, but maybe using my rollers will help! Did you moisturize your hair, Fab_Nikki?

BTW, has anyone ever used hot rollers for a flipped out style?

turned out really cute Nikki!

Lookin Fab!!!....Nikki:laugh:<----that is cute!!

I'm loving my hair so much ya'll:D.....next week i'll post updates on my blog..since Fotki is the devil right now:grin:.....i'm so excited.....i've calculated the weeks and by the end of the year i'll be 8 months post!!!:woot:

This transitioning thing is actually fun!!:yep:

I like the name play LOL Thank you hon for the compliment! Transitioning for me has had its ups and downs. I believe its all about trial and error. Now I too am in it to win it!!!!

Your hair looks FABULOUS!!! I'm pulling out my hot rollers tomorrow! My week old flat-ironed hair has also lost all it's body, but maybe using my rollers will help! Did you moisturize your hair, Fab_Nikki?

BTW, has anyone ever used hot rollers for a flipped out style?

Thank you!!!! *does the prep* Moisturize :blush: NO. I was scared I'd be doing TOO much and look like a frizz ball this morning :lachen: The only thing I did was put alittle Organix hair serum on it this morning when I finger combed it. My hair is sooo bouncy again.

Has anyone experienced their curl pattern getting slightly looser as they go further into the transition?

Has anyone experienced their curl pattern getting slightly looser as they go further into the transition?

No, not really. But I have noticed that I have more defined coils than I originally thought. At first it was aaaall 4b with two or three 4a coils here and there. Now I have lots of 4a coils and just my nape is 4b.

BTW, checking in at 22 weeks post! Halfway through month 5! :grin:

Feeling a bit discouraged about being natural again. I'm just not good at styling my hair! My twists end up sooooo fluffy! If I wash it this weekend, I'm going to work on flat twists again in the front of my hair and putting on my puff. I want to wear this style for my b-day in October, but I have to learn the flat twisting part first. Here are the things I know:

1. Keep fingers close to scalp (hard to do!)
2. Use some type of moisturizing spray (what spray!?)
3. Gel helps (I don't like gel!)

Anyone have any other suggestions or tips on doing neat flat twists? I've tried youtube videos, but they haven't helped me much.

Last edited:
No, not really. But I have noticed that I have more defined coils than I originally thought. At first it was aaaall 4b with two or three 4a coils here and there. Now I have lots of 4a coils and just my nape is 4b.

BTW, checking in at 22 weeks post! Halfway through month 5! :grin:

Feeling a bit discouraged about being natural again. I'm just not good at styling my hair! My twists end up sooooo fluffy! If I wash it this weekend, I'm going to work on flat twists again in the front of my hair and putting on my puff. I want to wear this style for my b-day in October, but I have to learn the flat twisting part first. Here are the things I know:

1. Keep fingers close to scalp (hard to do!)
2. Use some type of moisturizing spray (what spray!?)
3. Gel helps (I don't like gel!)

Anyone have any other suggestions or tips on doing neat flat twists? I've tried youtube videos, but they haven't helped me much.

I HATE gel too! I despise it actually. I guess it has something to do with growing up around girls who had no edges and use to use brown gel to slick it down. :barf: but I digress... I actually caved in around week 19 and bought ORS Twist & Loc Gel. Best thing I could have ever done for myself! It doesnt dry hard like regular gel and the ingredients list is pretty nice. It has no alcohol so its not drying. Coconut Milk is actually the second ingredient! I use this stuff for everything! Twist outs, braid outs, slicking back my buns. And it holds! No poofy edges, defined twist and braid outs and without all the crunchiness other gels may have.

I HATE gel too! I despise it actually. I guess it has something to do with growing up around girls who had no edges and use to use brown gel to slick it down. :barf: but I digress... I actually caved in around week 19 and bought ORS Twist & Loc Gel. Best thing I could have ever done for myself! It doesnt dry hard like regular gel and the ingredients list is pretty nice. It has no alcohol so its not drying. Coconut Milk is actually the second ingredient! I use this stuff for everything! Twist outs, braid outs, slicking back my buns. And it holds! No poofy edges, defined twist and braid outs and without all the crunchiness other gels may have.

I will try this and add it to my gel arsenal. I have and love EcoStyler Olive oil and Komaza Care Coconut Curl Pudding. :yep:

ETA: Everyone's hair looks great!

Why must you poke my pj monster! Luckily DH just got his bonus check, so I can go get it today after work! Sally's here I come! :lol:

What's the difference?

Heck if I know. :lachen:I brought them when I FIRST started my transition because I needed something to slick back my buns. It was sticky and made MY hair too hard.

I am in absolutel LOVE with
CURL-GEL-XH-221.JPG
I use this over the plain Glycerin now. It does all I need it to do with my buns. OR just giving me that wet look (does that make sense? lol). Plus its CHEAPO!!!

I just had a "WTF" moment................

I've been transitioning for almost 10 months and I realized I am most likely not doing ALL of the LHCF "must do's for healthy hair". Many times I look at a product and wonder umm so is this a protein, will it help with moisture, okay what WILL this do. I admit I am still 70% lost on these products. I do what works for ME and I am super cool with that. Some other things I've learned are:

When I first started I almost wiped my whole stash of cones. BUT I've learned "heeey my hair likes the stuff" and I'm retaining length. I still don't use them as much as I once did but sometimes I slap alittle bit of heat protectant or something with cones. I love them and they love me :D

I don't have to jump on every bandwagon. But if I choose to then so be it (choo choo).

Expensive products don't necessarily equate to a great product. My hair LOOOVES and thrives on cheapies. From VO5, Suave, LaBella styling gel to my beloved SKALA.

Don't compare other's growth to your own. Just let it happen and stop trying to rush it. Patience is a virtue that I really feel like I'm getting a grasp of, due to my transitioning. When I first started I wanted to BC everyday. Now I am excited to see just how long I can go.

If I BC tomorrow I've still learned patience (ALMOST 10 months baby!!!!!!!!!!) Take one day at a time. (I sound like a recovering addict lol)

Heck if I know. :lachen:I brought them when I FIRST started my transition because I needed something to slick back my buns. It was sticky and made MY hair too hard.

I am in absolutel LOVE with I use this over the plain Glycerin now. It does all I need it to do with my buns. OR just giving me that wet look (does that make sense? lol). Plus its CHEAPO!!!

Hmmm...You didn't just poke my PJ monster, you hit him with a stick! I love that wet waves look!

^^ I get that look using the IC Fantasia gel too :lachen:

I thought I did too until I used LaBella. *swoon* OH LAWD and don't let me use my Denman, then even I get sea sick. :lachen: That's the only time I feel comfy using my Denman, with no fear of snatching my whole scalp off. LOL

I was thinking of going to Sally's and take advantage of their Eco Styler tubs being on sale for $3.49. Even though I'm only 18 weeks in my transition, the waves are RIDICULOUS!!! I have to rock a wavy phony pony to match b/c the waves basically go all the way back to my ponytail :lachenL

Oh I almost forgot I'm 23 weeks post! Just now starting school has kept my mind off of transitioning... well the waiting part at least.

Back