New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

hey i posted this in the newly natural thread but i wanted you guys advice as well...
i had a question for those with thick 4a hair and maybe you guys can help? i am currently transitioning... for 15 months so far and have been wearing protective styles ie weaves and braids...currently in braids.

i have never had hair past my shoulders until now but obviously with the two textures its hard to tell, i wanted to know how did you guys manage to get thick natural 4a hair with relaxed ends into a ponytail of some sort? and what did the ends do? or what to do with them...honestly i havent touched my hair since like month 5 before i decided it was a lil too much work for me to deal with.

i really want to give my hair a break from the braids in a few weeks and wanted to know should i try to straighten it and then put it in a ponytail/bun(watever works) or fit it in a ponytail when its wet? i cant imagine it working because its sooooooo thick and i feel like i would need like four hands to help with that.

I AM ONE YEAR POST!!!
:band2::guiness::cheers::band::rofl::bdance::yay::bouncegre:trampolin:weird::beer::woot::bouncegre:dance7::bouncy::grouphug::club::circle::lots::2cool::pepper::rocker::reddancer::bounceline::happydance::trophy::wiggle::woohoo2::thewave:

I could cry, I am so proud of myself. Transitioning for a year has truly shown me that anything is possible. I cannot WAIT to be natural & for year # 2 :yep:

* This would have been the time where I would tell you all to check out my... :ahem:...rhymes with "lotki"...but theres no need to go there right now:ohwell: lol

:congrats: on making it to a year!!! Any tips for us that are early in the transition?

hey i posted this in the newly natural thread but i wanted you guys advice as well...
i had a question for those with thick 4a hair and maybe you guys can help? i am currently transitioning... for 15 months so far and have been wearing protective styles ie weaves and braids...currently in braids.

i have never had hair past my shoulders until now but obviously with the two textures its hard to tell, i wanted to know how did you guys manage to get thick natural 4a hair with relaxed ends into a ponytail of some sort? and what did the ends do? or what to do with them...honestly i havent touched my hair since like month 5 before i decided it was a lil too much work for me to deal with.

i really want to give my hair a break from the braids in a few weeks and wanted to know should i try to straighten it and then put it in a ponytail/bun(watever works) or fit it in a ponytail when its wet? i cant imagine it working because its sooooooo thick and i feel like i would need like four hands to help with that.

Have you tried to do any twist outs/braid outs in a ponytail? That would probably help with blending the 2 textures easily.

I'm a bit confused but...I think you should try to put it in a pony when your hair is wet. I used to do pony washngos when I was natural everyday and it was never a problem. I guess if you can't get it in the pony, I would blow dry and then do it. Or you might be able to air dry in a few braids and then do the pony. Idk how air drying will work for you because I never air dried in braids when I was natural and now that I do air dry in braids, I'm only 9 months post so I have less natural hair than you. HTH

Have you tried to do any twist outs/braid outs in a ponytail? That would probably help with blending the 2 textures easily.

i havent tried that in months!!! almost a yr since i did that, i think i have about 5 1/2 inches of natural hair and 5 or 6 inches of relaxed hair, i remember my pityful ends were more than the natural hair that i have now, so maybe i will give it a try now, it may come out a little more uniformed! thanks!

Hello, I've decided to transition. I'll be 8 months post this monday. I attached pictures of the main styles i wear and the last two pictures are of a roller set I did yesterday. Excuse the messy room, I was packing for school. I hope to transition for around 1.5 years. This thread has been a great help for my transition so far.

P1000028.jpg

IMG_6777.jpg

P1000084.jpg

P1000076.jpg

I'm fourteen weeks. Is that okay? I have about two inches of new growth.
yep that's good
I just want to guage how fast our hair should be in say. . .a year. Since I'm just beginning the process of transitioning, I have no idea at what point I'll BC. I'd like to be able to pull it back in a pony. . .BUT I've seen some really cute BC's on and off board and I'm just not sure. I have about 2" too.

yep that's good
I just want to guage how fast our hair should be in say. . .a year. Since I'm just beginning the process of transitioning, I have no idea at what point I'll BC. I'd like to be able to pull it back in a pony. . .BUT I've seen some really cute BC's on and off board and I'm just not sure. I have about 2" too.

Just go with the flow of your own hair! It's all about genetics, health, and retention.

officially 1-year post. :]
doesn`t really seem it`s been that long!
i straightened my hair today since i hadn`t done so in a while,
&my relaxed ends pretty much fought with me & the flat iron. :/
oh well, 6 more months to go.

I am just in awe at how healthy my hair is getting the more and more natural hair I have.

I used to have to get color/clear rinses for shine. Now it just has a natural shine when straightened. So awesome. :grin:

So, I consider myself 4b with some 4a thrown in here and there. I frequent a salon that specializes in straightening natural hair, and I love to peep at the ladies hair when they come from the shampoo bowl to look at the different types/textures. I used to be embarrassed coming from the bowl, bc frankly I'm one of the few in the salon with my hair type (which is interesting, and makes me wonder if there are fewer 4bs who are natural vs other hair types). Most come out the bowl with defined or semi defined curls that are hanging down. I come out with an afro, that just keeps getting bigger and wider as my hair grows.

Where I used to be embarrassed now I am like I can't wait til it gets bigger and bigger. I'm just happy my hair is growing and healthy. Its true when they say transitioning is also a mental process.

Hello, I've decided to transition. I'll be 8 months post this monday. I attached pictures of the main styles i wear and the last two pictures are of a roller set I did yesterday. Excuse the messy room, I was packing for school. I hope to transition for around 1.5 years. This thread has been a great help for my transition so far.

P1000028.jpg

IMG_6777.jpg

P1000084.jpg

P1000076.jpg

Your hair looks very nice.

Thanx Nikki:D

I just clarified my hair yesterday....that going 2 weeks without washing just aint gonna work for me:nono:....my hair gets greasy FAST!

Maybe just weekly will do?:grin:

I got a new hairstopper for my tub too and i'm so liberated!!! I can freely detangle my hair in the shower now without clogging up the drain!:woohoo:.....i ran out of my ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo so i bought the Suave clarifying shampoo to use the next time i clarify my hair....hope it does well.

^^^How is the ORS shampoo? I've seen that in lots of reggies on here. I have the V05 clarifying shampoo and man does it strip your hair of EVERYTHING! I make sure to do a LONG DC whenever I use it.

Side Note: I'm officially 4 months post today. Yay!!! :weird:

^^^How is the ORS shampoo? I've seen that in lots of reggies on here. I have the V05 clarifying shampoo and man does it strip your hair of EVERYTHING! I make sure to do a LONG DC whenever I use it.

Side Note: I'm officially 4 months post today. Yay!!! :weird:

ORS Shampoo lover here! I will never use another shampoo! I'm surprised that other people say they only use it for clarifying or chelating. After shampooing with ORS, my hair is soft and it doesn't feel hard and tangled like it does with every other shampoo I've tried. I like it better than the CON moisturizing shampoo because although it wasn't drying, I never felt like my hair was really clean. With ORS, it feel clean, soft, AND lightly moisturized.

ORS Shampoo lover here! I will never use another shampoo! I'm surprised that other people say they only use it for clarifying or chelating. After shampooing with ORS, my hair is soft and it doesn't feel hard and tangled like it does with every other shampoo I've tried. I like it better than the CON moisturizing shampoo because although it wasn't drying, I never felt like my hair was really clean. With ORS, it feel clean, soft, AND lightly moisturized.
Same here:yep:....i LOVE ORS Shampoo!!! I hope they NEVER change the ingredients!

I just bought the Suave clarifying shampoo bc it was like $1:)

^^Suave is one of the best cheapie lines I've ever used lol. That's the only condish I use to cowash with.

Back