New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

Hey ladies, 1st post in this tread. I am currently 15 months post and I plan on transitioning for at least 2 yrs. I usually wear alot of twist outs, braid outs, buns, and some sew-ins. I've done 2 mini chops so far but I am not ready to let it all go yet. Between months 5- 10, I had a hard time hanging in there but things are getting alot better. I hope to get some tips and support in here. Thanks ladies.

Welcome Ladies ^^^'

Well, as I type this post, I completed my first braid out using four braids (Prior to this, I used only two) and flexi rods (I never used them before). I don't think I did a shabby job. I can definitely see much more of the new growth in my crown, side and back areas.

^^^Great moisturizing conditioner for cowashing(I prefer Suave Humectant), light leave-in conditioner, and A GOOD MOISTURIZING SPRAY! people swear by S-Curl and Hawaiian Silky. I use a little CFC Instant Moisturizer and water myself and a little IC gel to get my NG to slick down for buns and phony ponys.

You may not have to change your products at all. I def haven't bought anything new to cater specifically to my transitioning hair. Just try what you have and see how it works for you. But if it helps, I use Nexxus Therappe and an ayurvedic shampoo, lekair cholesterol and aohsr to condition, and diluted vo5 with oil as a leave in.

Thanx ladies:)....I'm taking notes.....i don't believe i'm really a pj bc i tend to run out of products pretty quickly and with this new transition stage i'm in i'm running out of products even faster.

So far i know for a fact i HAVE to stick with AOHSR for conditioner and ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo as my ONLY sulfate shampoo.....i LOVE that stuff!! I just bought some more Bee Mine Luscious moisturizer and the Juicy spray so i'm waitiong for that to arrive as we speak:D

BTW i'm 14 weeks post on Wednesday!!:tantrum:

This is my first time posting in this thread, but you ladies have been a wealth of knowledge for me! I'm currently 34 weeks post. Here's a pic of my protective style of choice my phony bun

Not sure how long I'm going to transition, I think at least 2 years though

Hey ladies, 1st post in this tread. I am currently 15 months post and I plan on transitioning for at least 2 yrs. I usually wear alot of twist outs, braid outs, buns, and some sew-ins. I've done 2 mini chops so far but I am not ready to let it all go yet. Between months 5- 10, I had a hard time hanging in there but things are getting alot better. I hope to get some tips and support in here. Thanks ladies.

:welcome: ladies!!!

Thanx ladies:)....I'm taking notes.....i don't believe i'm really a pj bc i tend to run out of products pretty quickly and with this new transition stage i'm in i'm running out of products even faster.

So far i know for a fact i HAVE to stick with AOHSR for conditioner and ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo as my ONLY sulfate shampoo.....i LOVE that stuff!! I just bought some more Bee Mine Luscious moisturizer and the Juicy spray so i'm waitiong for that to arrive as we speak:D

BTW i'm 14 weeks post on Wednesday!!:tantrum:

Ditto! That ORS shampoo is awesome!:grin:

^^^Might have to check that one out after I use up all of my Suave and Silk Elements shampoo :lachen:

It's the only shampoo that leaves my hair with a good in between: Not too coated, but not too stripped. Just a clean feeling. You might want to check out the ingredients first if you're paranoid about that. They don't meet some LHCF standards. :lol:

It's the only shampoo that leaves my hair with a good in between: Not too coated, but not too stripped. Just a clean feeling. You might want to check out the ingredients first if you're paranoid about that. They don't meet some LHCF standards. :lol:

:lachen: Girl I don't worry about that type of stuff. As long as it works for my hair, I don't care if it meets anyone's approval. I still use grease on my scalp and I know that's a huge no-no but hey...my hair likes it lol

hello ladies just checking in!! i am 66 weeks post! i have about 3 months left!! im still in yarn braids until the middle of september and i will redo them again until november. i will try to make an attempt at a mength check in september. also, i think i may curl my yarn braids next week! wish me luck!

Hey ladies! I'm about 59 weeks post right now and I'm struggling with the urge to chop lately. I have been bunning lately because twistouts seem to be too much daily manipulation but I'm really sick of wearing buns and I'm feeling like I want to "style" my hair in some way. I don't have the heart to chop just yet so I think I will keep bunning until mid-September and then I may do crochet braids or half-wigs to get me through the winter. I think I will end up going past 18 months because I don't think I'll have enough length at that time (I have about 7 inches of natural hair stretched in the longest places). So my new tentative chop will be May 2011 (putting me at 23 months post).

Also, I've been using more products with ceramides so I've seen a lot of improvement with the breakage I was having before.

I just noticed that my edges on the right seem to be a little bit thinner than the left. So depressing :(

Aww --- I'm sorry to hear that. Several ladies on the board swear by Jamaican Black castor oil helping with thinning edges.

Hey ladies! I'm about 59 weeks post right now and I'm struggling with the urge to chop lately. I have been bunning lately because twistouts seem to be too much daily manipulation but I'm really sick of wearing buns and I'm feeling like I want to "style" my hair in some way. I don't have the heart to chop just yet so I think I will keep bunning until mid-September and then I may do crochet braids or half-wigs to get me through the winter. I think I will end up going past 18 months because I don't think I'll have enough length at that time (I have about 7 inches of natural hair stretched in the longest places). So my new tentative chop will be May 2011 (putting me at 23 months post).

Also, I've been using more products with ceramides so I've seen a lot of improvement with the breakage I was having before.

I'm so with you! I got the urge yesterday when someone said that I should just let all the relaxed ends go. But I'm gonna hold out and get through another winter --- 2 years post will be June 25, 2011.

Checking in at 8 months post. I am lovin' my ng and just wish it would grow to SL overnight (unstretched) so that I can just chop off these pesky thin/uncurly relaxed ends.

Well i think i got all my products lined up to help me get through the next couple of months:)

Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer
Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Spray
ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo(Need to buy more....or try the suave clarifying shampoo since i'm not relaxing anymore...but this one chelates so i guess i'll stick with it:grin:)
Bee Mine Growth Serum(already had it:D)
Lustrasilks Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus for deep conditioning.

All i need to get more of is my AO HSR....it helps me SO much with detangling:yep:

ETA: And i STILL need to buy my two more packs of orange flexi rods!!!....i was supposed to buy them MONTHS ago!!!...i keep forgetting:laugh:

Newbie transitioner here checking in!

I just recently decided that I wanted to transition. I'm sooo excited to see what my natural hair looks like, but I'm also scared as HAYELL!!! I have no idea of what to expect with this transition!

Right now, I'm 9 weeks post. It's funny, at the top of my head, you can barely see the difference between my new growth and my relaxed/texlaxed hair. I'm hoping that that's a good sign for me going forward!!!

Twist outs work well, and I'm curious, do they still look good even when you're 6 or 7 months post? Does your head look huge by then? :grin:

Awww suki now! I took my braids out today and did a very long DC to prepare for my next install and after combing it down, I'm about 3.5" away from APL!!!!! Pretty good to say my NG was poofy and it was still at a decent length. Go me!! :woot:

I'm officially FIVE months post! or 22 weeks (I think). I found a girl at my school that does kinky twist for only $100 so I think I'm gonna get those probably for the winter. I'm so ready for this loooooong transition i'm planning.

I just recently decided that I wanted to transition. I'm sooo excited to see what my natural hair looks like, but I'm also scared as HAYELL!!! I have no idea of what to expect with this transition!

Right now, I'm 9 weeks post. It's funny, at the top of my head, you can barely see the difference between my new growth and my relaxed/texlaxed hair. I'm hoping that that's a good sign for me going forward!!!

Twist outs work well, and I'm curious, do they still look good even when you're 6 or 7 months post? Does your head look huge by then? :grin:

:welcome: There are a lot of us in this thread and we're at different stages of transitioning so feel free to ask questions.

As for your question about twist outs: I found that my braidouts stopped looking good (IMO) after 10 months post. The humidity would hit the NG and *poof* --- and you could see the two different textures. :nono: Part of the reason for this is probably because I still had a lot of relaxed hair, magnifying the difference.

Other ladies please chime in if you had a different experience.

Congratulations to all the ladies hitting milestones and having exciting length checks!!! :clap:

I'll be 14 months post tomorrow! :woot:

I think mine still look good. Don't know if the world think they look good:lachen: Attached is mine at 6 months post. I'm 9 months post and they still look good to me. I will take a pic next time I do one.

Attachments

• braidout.jpg
    braidout.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
:welcome: There are a lot of us in this thread and we're at different stages of transitioning so feel free to ask questions.

As for your question about twist outs: I found that my braidouts stopped looking good (IMO) after 10 months post. The humidity would hit the NG and *poof* --- and you could see the two different textures. :nono: Part of the reason for this is probably because I still had a lot of relaxed hair, magnifying the difference.

Other ladies please chime in if you had a different experience.

So whats your reggie and styles you normally wear? Sorry if this has been answered!

What about doing phony pony's? Im just starting my transition and I'm doing that.

I'm so with you! I got the urge yesterday when someone said that I should just let all the relaxed ends go. But I'm gonna hold out and get through another winter --- 2 years post will be June 25, 2011.

i can't wait till i have more natural hair length than relaxed ends.

I'm officially FIVE months post! or 22 weeks (I think). I found a girl at my school that does kinky twist for only $100 so I think I'm gonna get those probably for the winter. I'm so ready for this loooooong transition i'm planning.
I love those kinky twists, BUT i have had such back experience with braids and other hair breaking my own hair off.

I'm just a pitiful 17 weeks. That's like child's play compared to you guys :lachen:

we are >>>here<<< I am just 15 weeks. good luck!

Back