Naturals that were once relaxed post up your pics of your relaxed days!

some of you...lol If I had your relaxed hair when I was relaxed, I probably would have never gone natural

n16200326_30703372_2868.jpg

on right

n213001264_31042481_2643.jpg

you look like melanie fiona, that new singer

Here's one from when I first relaxed in the beginning of Junior High
untitled29-th.jpg

Followed by freshman year of high school
BIN9-th.jpg

Senior Year of Highschool & Graduation
DSC03305-th.jpg
27_46600147_31434576_5878017_n-th.jpg

BUT! I also wanted to share what my hair was like before I got a relaxer:
This was one of the last wash and gos before I got my relaxer while on vacation with my family
s908227_42866446_7548203.jpg

And then this is my first communion hair, when I was 7 years old, and sat still while I got my hair curled with a curling iron. This picture makes me understand why my aunt begged my mom to forbid me to get a relaxer, and makes me wonder why my mom let me get one! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::nono:

I would love to rock a grown up (sexied) version of of this do, but i need to grow my hair back first.
DSC03312-vi.jpg

How the heck did I miss this thread? Here are some of mine:

Rockin' the fake green contacts (yeah ... I know :rolleyes:)
Relaxed1995-vi.jpg

Hair looks good. Double chin ... not so much. :perplexed
Tara2003-vi.jpg

Relaxers were starting to take their toll on my poor hair. :sad:
April2005Relaxed-vi.jpg

*sigh* I had so much fun with my hair. I was always just a flat ironed stroke away from fierceness. :yep:

Attachments

• securedownload23.jpg
    securedownload23.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
  • securedownload4.jpg
    securedownload4.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 101
  • 10530_130639257132_508282132_2936860_7068854_n.jpg
    10530_130639257132_508282132_2936860_7068854_n.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 95
  • securedownload76.jpg
    securedownload76.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 90
  • securedownload78.jpg
    securedownload78.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sorry if some of the pics are big. I resized them and they still came out huge.

TEXLAXED:

Just cut
2mophm0.jpg

(yes that's Brian McKnight :grin:)

Maintaining Cut - Dyed my hair back black
23r4wo6.jpg

Letting it grow out. My ends look thin because a scissor happy stylist thought my hair needed thinning out some. :swearing:
2rm8w0l.jpg

Cut off the thinned out ends
2wqevip.jpg

Natural:

mlrrig.jpg

2ustu81.jpg

A lady stopped me in the mall that day to ask me where I got me weave done at. :lachen:
3493oki.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, what a lovely thread. I must say it is good to see all the ladies that had healthy relaxed hair who still chose to go natural. I think it proves the point that some ladies go natural because thats the choice they made, people dont always go natural because their relaxed hair is beat up and there is no choice, they do it because they want to.
Thanks ladies, very inspiring.:grin:

I was one of the ones that had beat up relaxed hair and thats the reason why I went natural.:ohwell:

I will post pics later.

My relaxed days:

HairJuly2006002-vi.jpg

Staceyhair-vi.jpg

This is an older picture of my natural hair, but it's about the same length as it was in this picture. I will try to post pics in my album (because when I went natural they didn't have a lot of the products that they have now, and my hair looks even better than back then).
December92002005-vi.jpg

Sorry if some of the pics are big. I resized them and they still came out huge.

TEXLAXED:

Just cut
2mophm0.jpg

(yes that's Brian McKnight :grin:)

Maintaining Cut - Dyed my hair back black
23r4wo6.jpg

Letting it grow out. My ends look thin because a scissor happy stylist thought my hair needed thinning out some. :swearing:
2rm8w0l.jpg

Cut off the thinned out ends
2wqevip.jpg

Natural:

mlrrig.jpg

2ustu81.jpg

A lady stopped me in the mall that day to ask me where I got me weave done at. :lachen:
3493oki.jpg
Whoa! I love your straightned natural hair. Its beautiful! You have to tell me how you did this because I am determined to get my straight hair to look like relaxed hair

I use a good blow dryer, a great flat iron, and John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Heat Protection. I also do not put a lot of product on my hair before hand straightening. Since I cowash a lot when I do flat iron I clarify & DC. Then I put one product on before blow drying and one product after blow drying before I flat iron. I think that is the key to getting it straight becuase otherwise it gets a little greasy and seems not to straighten as well.

When I want it super straight and want my hair to still revert back (LOL) I will go see my stylist who is the only other person who I allow to put heat on my hair (even though it has been a year since I've seen him because I've been staying away from heat while I grow my hair back out). Let me know if you have any other questions. :yep:

Whoa! I love your straightned natural hair. Its beautiful! You have to tell me how you did this because I am determined to get my straight hair to look like relaxed hair

WOW! Great thread MsLizzi!! :up: Thanks for starting it! :yep:

4 months growth bet relaxers: Aug 06-Dec 06
AugDec06-vi.jpg

May 07
LMay072-vi.jpg

The TRIM / cut :wallbash: that made me go natural
P2080009-vi.jpg

BC to Me now - ALL NATURAL~~
P3200193-vi.jpg
P2190985-vi.jpg

Wow...the natural hair is beautiful...just beautiful! Relaxed hair looks good too, but now days when I see a black woman with natural hair, it just makes her stand out apart from the rest. It's so INTERESTING and has real personality. Straight hair is nice, but it just makes you look like everybody else. But when you rock your natural texture, it just looks so much more intricate and fascinating to look at.

This thread is making me want to transition :sekret:

You are not alone! I'm finally transitioning due to the great posts and pictures I've seen on this board! :yep:

Here is are the befores:
033.jpg

028-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

DSC01406-1.jpg

036.jpg

The back was so bad, I ended up cutting it:
DSC01490.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

And the natural:
DSC06192.jpg

DSC06365.jpg

DSC05937.jpg

DSC05815.jpg

DSC06546.jpg

DSC06580.jpg

DSC06614.jpg

DSC06897.jpg

DSC06862.jpg

Sorry, I went overboard, cant help it.

Maria did you have that stiff relaxed hair that wouldn't move when the wind blew like me?:lachen: I was bone-laxed too man oh man that was eons ago......thank god lol

Now when my hair is straightened it dances in the wind then falls back into place:grin:

Yes Ma'am I did! :lachen:
Years later I realize WHY my hair looked a HAM most of the time. Its because I was going to the salon every week and my hair was over-processed. They would put the relaxer on from root to tip. Back in the early 90's when I was doing my own hair, I realize now that I was texlaxing (didn't know) and stretching for 16 weeks at a time. I was a DIY'er back then. As soon as I stopped doing my own hair my never went past shoulder length without breaking off. So to anyone that is on the hair care journey, whether relaxed or natural, I say do your own hair and stay away from the salon.

1st pic: Me - early 2007 when I was transitioning (notice how much my hair grew in 2 months - with relaxers it grew but always broke off)
2nd pic: Me today with curly hair
3rd pic: My straight hair

Attachments

• Mah Hair Progress.jpg
    Mah Hair Progress.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC09231.JPG
    DSC09231.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 132
    17.2 KB · Views: 122
Back