NATURALS SURVEY

What products add the most curl definition to your hair?
I am not in a quest to get defined curls.

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed?
Twists

What protective styles do you use?
Twists

What products have you found that soften your hair the most?
Water and Wild Growth Hair Oil

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair?
No

What is your hair type?
4b, bushy and kinky

How long is your hair?
Between midback and tailbone

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair?
No Pooing

How long have you been natural?
6+ years

Any pics?
No

How hard is your hair to comb?
Not hard, I only comb when it is wet with conditioner

How often do you wash it?
Every 1-2 weeks

How long does it take to style?
4+ hours

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?
No, I do not use heat of any kind

Does anyone regret going natural?
No

Ok now this may be a really silly question but...
does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me
Yes, it does, because I take very good care of my hair.

I am sure my answers have changed since the last time I did this...

*What products add the most curl definition to your hair?

My hair is curly anyhow. I aim for moisture and usually curls follow.

*What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed?

fro/curly head. It do what it do baby. :-)

*What protective styles do you use?

Twists, coils, individual braids

*What products have you found that soften your hair the most?

Shampoo (elucence) and deep conditioning with conditioner, honey, and oil. I don't really use many styling products. Maybe a rinse in between washes of herbal tea mix and acv.

*Do you use any supplements to soften your hair?

I don't take supplements for softer hair, but I do take them. I don't know if hair softness is a by product or not. I take evening primrose oil, flax seed oil, and country life maxi hair vitamins. On and off I take nettles, biotin, and pantothenic acid.

*What is your hair type?
4 A/B

*How long is your hair?
4-5 inches

*Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair?

Nope

*How long have you been natural?

I began transitioning in May 2003 and chopped down very low in August 03.

*Any pics?

delightfulflamehair04.bravejournal.com

*How hard is your hair to comb?

not hard as long as it is wet with conditioner.

*How often do you wash it?

every week or two

*How long does it take to style?

I need a good 4 hours to wash, deep condition, and style my hair in a protective style. But I will wear the style for a week or two.

*Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?

not much. Have used a blow dryer. Hated it. Will probably use a flat iron when I gain length. Bought a Jilbere and it worked great on my natural daughter. No stress to her hair at all.

*Does anyone regret going natural?

Not me!

*Ok now this may be a really silly question but...does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me

Nope. But I love all of the curls, kinks, and coils.

I never thought about definition, but I do use Fructis smoothing milk and Fantasia gel with sparklelites for frizz control. I guess S-curl helps define curls though, if I use it.

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? I wear it curly, puffed or froed. Once in a while I will straighten it and have loose curls.

What protective styles do you use? Buns and more buns.

What products have you found that soften your hair the most? Honey added to my suave and daily defense conditoners. Also Hollywood Beauty olive cream, Castor oil, and carrot cream do the trick. I also find that a dab of my regular conditioner used as a leave in does well.

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? No.

What is your hair type? 3c

How long is your hair? 23 inches from hairline to ends, at least it was the last time I measured.

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? No.

How long have you been natural? 9 years.

Any pics? in my siggy(pics to be updated soon!)

How hard is your hair to comb? I only comb when wet with conditioner,(unless I'm wearing it straight) so it's not hard at all.

How often do you wash it? I use shampoo once per week, but I conditioner wash daily and do an acv rince weekly.

How long does it take to style? Not long. About 5 to 10 minutes depending on what I'm trying to do.

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? Someimes I do, like when I want to color or trim. After washing, I separte into 6 sections at twist and let my hair get mostly dry, then I blow dry each section with a brush and blow dryer. Then I wrap it overnight. The next morning I curl or flat iron. Sometimes I'll rollerset, but usually I'm too sleepy to let it dry properly.

Does anyone regret going natural? Not at all.

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. Yes it does.

Water alone as well as any water based product (ie conditioner)

Curly head (shake n go)

Buns. I'm working on twists.

So far any conditioner that I've tried works. (Pantene S&S, LustraSilk Aloe, Suave, Vo5 fruity scented conditioners, Tressemme, Motions... any conditioner!)

No.

What is your hair type?
In the 3c area (I guess).

How long is your hair?
Curly, nape length.

No.

2 mths tomorrow /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Any pics?
See my sig (& avatar)

Not hard at all. The comb glides right through it (with plenty of conditioner on the hair... this is the only time that I comb it).

Lately 1x maybe 2x per month. I CW wash every 2-3 days.

Shake n Go's, literally 3 secs! Buns, 30 secs!

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?
Oh no no! I've been on an "absolutely no heat" regime for over 2 yrs. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Does anyone regret going natural? No, this was the BEST DECISION I've ever made for my hair /images/graemlins/cool.gif

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me
Yes, my hair feels very silky when it's wet, however the silkiness leaves when it's dry!

I don't think I have yet paid attention to this. My hair just waves and curls on its own.

I don't yet wear my hair out. I am not comfortable with the length.

I wear ponytails and I recently figured out how to do a bun. But I guess neither is really protected b/c my ends are still out. However, I keep my ends away from my clothes and this works just as well for me as keeping them hidden.

Carol's Daughter products make my hair really soft - Healthy Hair Butter, Hair Milk, and Mimosa Hair Honey.

Not specificially no. But I do know that MSM and silica can help with that. I take MSM and may start taking silica again in the future. Soft hair is nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is your hair type?
I believe I am 3b/3c. My hair is wavy and curly.

How long is your hair?
Depends...The front is below chin length and the back is almost halfway to my brastrap.

CD products make my hair feel silky as well as Suave Awapuhi leave-in conditioner.

a little over 3 months

Any pics?
maybe... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only comb my hair in the shower with conditioner in it. It's pretty easy with my Jilbere shower comb.

I shampoo wash my hair once every week or every two weeks - whenever I have time to deep condition. I co wash daily.

I would say my daily routine adds 20 minutes to my schedule. 15 minutes to wash, 5 minutes to style.

Yes. I like to have my hair straightened for a professional trim. Once every 4 months is my plan.

I don't regret going natural. I am so happy to see what I can love the hair God gave me.

Yes, my hair feels very silky when I condition it.

What products add the most curl definition to your hair? i don't use anything special for this anymore.

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? i wear a curly fro daily

What protective styles do you use? on occassion i get twists or cornrows - not often due to hand in fro disease

aussie knot forgotten, aussie 3 minute miracle, Rx professional prescription replenish hair treatment, all hair butters

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair?biotin, msm, evening primrose oil, vitamin e, b-complex 125, shen min, black currant oil, l-cysteine and skin, hair and nails by vitamin shoppe

What is your hair type? 3c-tight corkscrews-medium texture

How long is your hair? 6-7 inches long all over

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? no special products

How long have you been natural? since June 6, 2003

Any pics? i haven't posted any but yes i do have some.

How hard is your hair to comb? I don't usually comb it but no problems when they do it at the salon.

How often do you wash it? i condition wash daily, shampoo 2x a week and deep condition weekly for 30-45 minutes.

How long does it take to style? a few minutes, i'm a wash and go type of girl

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? once in awhile and i blow-dry then flat iron it

Does anyone regret going natural? nope

Yes is the answer to the last question.

It's more of which products LEAVE the curl definition in once my hair is dry as it's super curly when wet. So far Jessicurl's Rockin Ringlets (the new Confident Coils isn't bad either), Citre Shine Making Waves Curl Booster mixed with Loreal Alt Studio Out of Bed Whipped Gel (as per someone's recommendation). The Fantasia gel is pretty good too but I need to try it again (the last time I tried it was a really cloudy day so who knows how it would've looked other wise.

Either wash and go big hair, ponytails, buns, or blow dryed.

Er none right now.

My hair is pretty soft--coconut oil, etc.

No.

*What is your hair type?
I really am not sure as I haven;'t quite gotten the hang of the hair type thing--some parts are looser (like the top) than others. I guess a 4?

*How long is your hair?
A little below the sholders.

Nope

Since junior high school which would be 12 years or so.

*Any pics?
Not yet! One of these days!

Not hard....I try not to comb it much but detangle with the fingers.

Every week or two

If I wash and go it takes about 5 minutes to put the products in and additional 10-20 to blow dry with a diffuser. When someone else straightens it it takes about 45 minutes with washing, etc..

*Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?

I get it blow dryed occassionally and it looks GREAT. Very bouncy.

Hell no!!!!!

*Ok now this may be a really silly question but...does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me

Er sort of?

Last edited:
PhonyBaloney500 said:

It's more of which products LEAVE the curl definition in once my hair is dry as it's super curly when wet. So far Jessicurl's Rockin Ringlets (the new Confident Coils isn't bad either), Citre Shine Making Waves Curl Booster mixed with Loreal Alt Studio Out of Bed Whipped Gel (as per someone's recommendation). The Fantasia gel is pretty good too but I need to try it again (the last time I tried it was a really cloudy day so who knows how it would've looked other wise.

Either wash and go big hair, ponytails, buns, or blow dryed.

Er none right now.

My hair is pretty soft--coconut oil, etc.

No.

*What is your hair type?
I really am not sure as I haven;'t quite gotten the hang of the hair type thing--some parts are looser (like the top) than others. I guess a 4?

*How long is your hair?
A little below the sholders.

Nope

Since junior high school which would be 12 years or so.

*Any pics?
Not yet! One of these days!

Not hard....I try not to comb it much but detangle with the fingers.

Every week or two

If I wash and go it takes about 5 minutes to put the products in and additional 10-20 to blow dry with a diffuser. When someone else straightens it it takes about 45 minutes with washing, etc..

I get it blow dryed occassionally and it looks GREAT. Very bouncy.

Hell no!!!!!

Er sort of?
Hey Phoney!.. that sounds kinda funny..lol :lol: Anyway.. have you used any other Jessicurl products?? I have some of her stuff on my Xmas list.. Rockin' Ringlets, Too Shea and the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment..

-- Aloe vera gel, mixed with castor oil and wild growth oil

Mostly flat twists, in summer I put my hair in a french braid, or pin my hair french pleat.

Mostly flat twists

Aloe vera gel mixed with olive oil, castor oil and glycerine

I have not noticed any of the supplements I take to soften my hair. But it has helped to make it much stronger and I am able to retain my length better.
Solgar VM75, Vit E, Vit C, Nature's Plus for hair, Cod liver oil, Protein drink. Flaxseed oil (whenever I get it).

What is your hair type?
4b, it has a very woolly texture, it has a lot of tight coils, and very tight curls

How long is your hair?
I'm not really sure, but stretched it is an inch away from my collarbone, due to trimming last Thursday.

I have not really experienced that. It has that very soft feeling

Since Feb 2002

Any pics?
In my signature

Very easy to comb, because I spray my hair with a mixture of rosewater, glycerine, castor oil, wild growth oil and olive oil.

Once a week

Up to forty minutes.

No, maybe when I invest in a flat iron, which will only be done on very rare/special occasions.

No, I haven't. It has been the best thing I have every done for my hair and myself.

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it.

Yes...whenever I add honey and olive oil to my shampoo and conditioner.

S-CURL!!

CURLY FRO AND PRESSED

BRAIDS MOSTLY, PHONY PONIES, AFRO

S-CURL :)

NO

What is your hair type?
4A/4B MIX, i THINK! SOME SAY I HAVE SOME 3C..WHO KNOWS?

How long is your hair?
5-6 INCHES

S-CURL...HAHA!!

TRANSITIONED FROM JANUARY TO JUNE..100% NATURAL SINCE AUGUST 2004

Any pics?
THEY'RE COMING SOON!!!

NOT AT ALL WHEN IT'S WET WITH CONDITIONER. i COMB STRAIGHT THROUGH IT.

EVERY FEW DAYS WHEN IT'S OUT OF BRAIDS.

DEPENDS ON THE STYLE

I GET IT PRESSED BY A HAIRDRESSER

NOPE!! i'M TOO CUTE! i REGRET NOT TRANSITIONING LONGER THOUGH, BUT I HAVE HEARD FROM OTHER NATURALS THAT I DID THE RIGHT THING BECAUSE OF THE SCAB HAIR ISSUE.

MINE DOES, BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE!

RushGirl said:
Hey Phoney!.. that sounds kinda funny..lol :lol: Anyway.. have you used any other Jessicurl products?? I have some of her stuff on my Xmas list.. Rockin' Ringlets, Too Shea and the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment..

Hi there! Aside from Rockin' Ringlets and Confident Coils I've used the Too Shea (small sample size--very nice stuff!) and the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment (VERY small sample size). I just ordered the Too Shea as I've run out but decided not to get the Weekly because the ingredients are almost exactly the same as Too Shea except it has coconut oil--I figure I can just use the Too Shea as a deep conditioner and slap some coconut oil of my own on there lol. ;)
I also have a sample size of the Awe Inspiring Spray which is supposed to revive droopy curls--it's OK.
I ordered the cleanser and I'll post a review when I get it.
Overall I really like her products! :)

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Hi there! Aside from Rockin' Ringlets and Confident Coils I've used the Too Shea (small sample size--very nice stuff!) and the Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment (VERY small sample size). I just ordered the Too Shea as I've run out but decided not to get the Weekly because the ingredients are almost exactly the same as Too Shea except it has coconut oil--I figure I can just use the Too Shea as a deep conditioner and slap some coconut oil of my own on there lol. ;)
I also have a sample size of the Awe Inspiring Spray which is supposed to revive droopy curls--it's OK.
I ordered the cleanser and I'll post a review when I get it.
Overall I really like her products! :)
Thanks for answering.. yah, lots of people seem to really like her stuff.. hopefully I will get some for Xmas...if not.. hopefully, soon after.. Thanks for letting me know about the Weekly.. When I get teh Too Shea..I'll just slap in some coconut oil too!! COOL!! I don't think I'd need anything to revive droopy curls.. I wish mine were more droopy..lol but I have alot of scab hair so I'll see what I need after that's long gone.. Her cleanser sounds really good too! Can't wait for your review!!

Thanks again girl!! :D

What products add the most curl definition to your hair? Curly Pudding and AG Re:Coil

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro or a curly head

What protective styles do you use? Puff, bun, two puffs

What products have you found that soften your hair the most? Leave-in conditioners

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? Nope

What is your hair type? 3C/4A mix

How long is your hair? Neck length natural, below shoulders when stretched

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? Just conditioner

How long have you been natural? Four years fully natural, transitioned for 1 1/2 before that.

Any pics? Check my album!

How hard is your hair to comb? Not hard at all. I do it in the shower with tons of conditioner on it.

How often do you wash it? Daily conditioner washes

How long does it take to style? 5 minutes

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? Rarely -- like once or twice a year. Use a blow dryer and a hot comb.

Does anyone regret going natural? NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. YES! I use this as a test of a new conditioner. A good conditioner should make my hair feel silky after I rinse it out. If it doesn't, it's not good for me (excluding protein conditioners, of course)

 I don’t really try to get curl definition, but I find that brushing my hair when it’s damp and moisturized with oil really makes the curly parts of my hair pop out.

 None of the above! Lol…I rarely wear my hair out. A pony puff is the closest I’ll get.

 Twists and box braids!

 Hmm… good deep conditioners ( Lekair Chol w. Aloe) and moisturizers (Hollywood Castor Oil w. Mink Oil)

 Nope

What is your hair type?
 4a/b

How long is your hair?
 8-10 inches

 Nope!

 2 years

Any pics?
 Yes: public.fotki.com/kengne

 When dry…impossible! Lol…When damp….not bad at all

 Every 1-2 weeks

 Depends on the style. Twists – 1-2 hrs; Box Braids - 1 – 2 hrs; Conrows: 2 hrs

 Heeeeeeeeellllll no.

 Nope!

 Lol..I dunno abt “silky”…but it feels really really soft.

*my curls are pretty defined w/o products....right now I'm trying out a bunch of things to find out what I like best to help with frizz and keep my hair feeling moisturized.. I do like Elucence MB Conditioner as a leave in mixed with some coconut oil.. I also tried that Giovanni 50:50 stuff and I LOVED it!

*I only wear it out at home.. pretty much a curly fro thing..I guess..

*Hmm..does wearing a baseball hat everyday count? :lol:

*I have alot of scab hair that nothing really helps..but..Elucence MB conditioner, Shealoe butter, and CD's Hair Milk

*I'm not sure what supplements are suppose to soften hair and which ones aren't.. but I take Biotin and GNC's UltraNourish.. I was taking MSM but I ran out a few weeks ago..ugh!

What is your hair type?
*3c..tight corkscrews

How long is your hair?
*Well, I'm on that no checking length challenge so I don't know..:angeldevi Seriously though...somewhere between 3-4 inches..

*no..the growth that is closest to my scalp feels pretty silky already..

*Just since Nov. 8th..

Any pics?
*heck no! No one has seen my hair except for my husband and my kids :lol:

*I only finger comb in the shower and it's very easy...

*I CW everyday and scalp wash with conditioner every Thursday..I don't use shampoo.

*style? lol I don't have a style.. I just put some stuff in it and call it a day..or put a baseball hat on..lol

*Yes, once.. don't think I'll do it again..I blow dried it and flat ironed it.. it was okay.. when I did it though..I couldn't wait to wash it.. It kinda felt uncomfortable.. and when I was blowdrying it..I was regretting it..feeling that I was damaging my hair...:ohwell:

*NOPE! I've wanted curly hair as long as I can remember..I just had no idea that I had curly hair..till I decided to stretch out my relaxer..then transition..

laugh.gif

*yah, it feels rather silky.. my hair straightens out alot when I'm "washing" it... when I use conditioner..I make sure that my hair has that seaweed like feeling..

Can't remember if I posted in this one already :lol: but here goes:

>> No idea, don't really seek it to b honest.

>> Twists, twists and more twists! Sometimes a puff.

>>Twist updos.

>> I only use Kemi shea butter as a hair product (cured of PJitis!). Creme of Nature Shampoo makes my hair feel great.

>>No.

What is your hair type?
>>4 a/b

How long is your hair?
>>Last time my hair was pressed was in Feb 2004, about 3" from bra strap. As I've been lazy I've had to trim/cut at least about 1" tonight :( so not sure what length I'm at. With shrinkage, below shoulder length.

>>No.

>>Since March 1998, almost 7 years :eek:

Any pics?
www.fotki.com/naturalsystah (password: natural)

>>I only comb my hair when it's wet and full of conditioner with a wide toothed comb or denman brush. I detangle in sections so it's not very hard for me to handle.

>>Every 7-10 days, though I wanna try conditioner washing again maybe every 5 days or so.

>>Depends - small twists about 4 hours, larger twists about 1 hour. the upside is that this lasts about a week, about 3 weeks for small twists. Puffs take about 10 mins on a good day.

>>Occasionally, I've pressed my hair about 5 times since going natural. I don't blow dry as often, only when my hair is getting cornrowed.

>>Not at all, it was the best thing I could have done for me and my hair, I wouldn't have it any other way. There are times I get annoyed with my hair but I wouldn't relax my hair again. I just feel more "me" when my hair is nappy!

n/a
Twists and canerows
Natural butters and oils
Hair and nail formula and brewers yeast
What is your hair type?
4a/b
How long is your hair?
5/6 inches
Add products while my hair is damp
5 years
Any pics?
None at the moment
Fairly easy
(I) shampoo and (2) conditioner washes, recently tried baking soda and got good results
Usually 1hr
No never use any kind of heat
Best decision ever
Yes, whenever I use the Parnevu poo and conditioner or any combination for a particular brand, no sls only als, combined with a hot oil treatment

Wow! This is a great thread; I've never seen it (then again, when it was started I had no idea I would be going natural so I never payed it any attention if I saw the title). My replies:

My hair is very coily on its own. To look its coiliest it has to be left alone while its drying. Products don't do anything but make my hair feel weird.

Curly puff done with a scarf.

None.

Jason conditioners. Especially Sea Kelp.
Coconut oil.

In the past I've taken supplements for the sake of health and growth, but I'm about to start taking flaxseed oil which is supposed to be good for softness.

What is your hair type?
straight up 4a

How long is your hair?
"8 inches and some change" to "just a smidgen away from 9 inches" on average.

Not especially. It does feel silky when conditioned well and when I do a cold water rinse.

About 5 months totally natural, but I have about 23 months worth of hair on my head.

Any pics?
A couple in the LHCF gallery. My new album will be up and running in a couple days--will be in my profile or siggy.

It's not really that it's hard to comb, it just takes a long time because the ends get tangled easily. So I just don't bother combing usually.

Pretty much every day or every other day. Con only or with shampoo. Just depends.

The most styling I ever do is a puff and that can literally take under a minute.

I don't straighten it, but I have straightened it once, if that makes any sense. I had to smooth it out a little to get my graduation cap on. I might straighten it in another month or so just to see what it looks like. I'll use a blowdryer and possibly a flat iron.

"Not I!" said the Cardinal.

yes, mine does.

I don't use any products specifically for curl definition. But keeping my hair well conditioned makes for the nicest curls.

Curly wash and go, with half up in a barrett or w/scrunchie

I've recently started the baggie method at night again and I might start it during the day.

Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner
AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner and AO GPB (used occasionally)
avocado butter

flax oil

What is your hair type?
corkscrew curls, 3B/C

How long is your hair?
I don't know how many inches. But stretched it is just below the beginning of my shoulder blades in the back. But I have layers in my hair.

Not really. But I think Giovanni Direct does that.

Almost 7 weeks.

Any pics?
Fotki

Not hard, but can be time consuming. (Must go very slowly to avoid breakage.)

CW every day.

I guess that depends on what I want to do. I try to keep it simple. But from wash to finish, I feel like it takes too much time to do very little.

No.

I don't.

Depends on the conditioner.

I am not interested in curl definition, so I don’t know. You can see the few curls I have really well when it is dripping with water.
Usually an un-ornamented fro, occasionally a puff and twice I wore twists for about 1.5 weeks each time.
Twists…This Thursday I will try to do them myself…previously done professionally.
I haven’t found any hair softening products…water keeps it soft, but one it dries I am SOL. My hair is very dry, which is the only thing that I do not like about my hair
No.
What is your hair type?
Nappy, cottony, coffee stirrer spirals, pencil curls and some straight pieces.
How long is your hair?
If I pull the front it comes right under my nose. If I pull the back it touches the base of my neck.
No.
Since March 17 of this year, so about 5 months.
Any pics?
Only one… I need to work on my au natural album.
http://public.fotki.com/twicee/
Honestly, very difficult. It hurts and I can see why young children run from their mothers when the comb or brush comes out. I rarely comb my hair because of this…
Maybe once or twice a month. I rinse daily after working out and condish wash 1-3 times weekly.
Hmmm… Maybe 30 seconds. One minute if I do a puff.
No.
No.
Not sure if I understand, so I am going to say “no”. Too kinky and curly to feel “silky”.

I did a search for a brush and this post came up...so I gotta add to it! :)

I get definition naturally, but extra help with frizzy pieces comes from holding products like Garnier Fructis soft curl creme, or various setting lotions etc.

What is your main style when you wear it out?
If I'm wearing my hair out I usually puff it.

I do individual braids or twists with my own hair...sometimes finger coils if I feel like going through that.

My hair is soft after washing, normally to keep it that way I'll just use an oil like castor oil. I like mixing oyin honey hemp conditioner with greg juice and water for my daily spritz.

No.

What is your hair type?
4a.

How long is your hair?
Around 9 inches.

No, I'll spritz with a moisturizer for softer feeling hair...but it doesn't really get silky.

Since Dec. 04.

Any pics?
Yes in my album :)

Not hard at all, I normally comb it when it's slightly damp (spritzed with moisturizer or damp with gobs of conditioner if it's been a while). I think the comb matters, I use a conair shower comb or k cutter. I follow up with a brush for extra detangling.

When in braids for a protective style I'll conditioner wash at least twice a week, when wearing hair out I wash about once a week.

Depends on the style. The braids I'm wearing now take 2-3 hours. Twists take around 2 hours. Other "out" styles take like 2 minutes (puffs, fros etc).

I'm not a fan of straight pieces of hair, or altering my texture so I've kept styling heat to a minimum.

No regrets, I've loved every last moment.

Shaking my hair after a co-wash/rinse and not touching it until dry provides the best definition. If I add styling product, almost any work about the same: Oyin Shine and Define, Smooth & Shine CAG, IC Fantaisa Blue Gel, Aura HAG, Giovanni. They all do about the same thing--they do make my curls a little smaller though, FME.

Coily shake-n-go fro with a hair accessory

My shake-n-go is a protective style for me. I also do two-strand twists.

When my hair is moisturized, it's soft. I find that outside of CW, misting my hair with moisture and then applying an oil-based creamy leave-in works at night works well for my hair.

Nope. I try to keep my diet healthy for overall health.

What is your hair type?

Coily/curly hair with a kinky/nappy & spongy texture. I guess it would be considered 4a/3c coils/curls with a 4b texture.

How long is your hair?
About 6-7" when stretched (reaches just below collarbone at nape). Unstretched reaches to neck at the nape.

No, because I don't think it's possible. My hair is thick and spongy. It does not feel silky after the conditioner is rinsed out because it is kinky.

I'm basically three months totally natural. I transitioned for a year, so about 15 months of natural hair.

Any pics?
Photo albums are in my signature below.

Well, I haven't really combed my hair since last year, so that's hard to say. I detangle my wet, conditioner-filled hair with a Denman brush every couple of days and that's easy.

I CW/CR almost daily. I use a SLS-free poo or clarify once a week.

It takes me an hour+ to do two-strand twists. It takes me three minutes to do a shake-n-go.

Havne't straightened it yet. If I do staraighten it, it will be after the summer's over and I will probably use a Maxiglide with heat protectant and a low temperature. I have no desire to heat-damage my hair texture.

Not at all. Best hair decision I've made in a long time.

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to m

The better the conditioner(s) for my hair, the silkier it feels after doing it's thing. The silky feeling also lets me know that it will be a good time to detangle.

I haven't tried to so I don't know.

I wear a twistout with a headband.

What protective styles do you use? None :ohwell: I need to start though.

Shea butter w/ aloe vera gel.

No, but I do take a multivitamin, flax oil & MSM along with vitamin C & zinc.

What is your hair type? 4

How long is your hair? Almost shoulder :(

No

How long have you been natural? 4/05

Any pics? Yes, my link is in my siggy

How hard is your hair to comb? Not hard at all. If I comb, I do it while wet or with conditioner in it.

How often do you wash it? Every 3-7 days

How long does it take to style? 15-20 minutes everynight & about 5-7 in the morning

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or

hot comb? No

Does anyone regret going natural? Nope, I never knew that Black hair could be anything except for relaxed until LHCF. I am free :)

It feels soft. My hair isn't silky period

What products add the most curl definition to your hair? Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner used as a leave-in.

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? Pressed mostly, also roller sets, curly head in the summer.

What protective styles do you use? Ponytails, that's it.

What products have you found that soften your hair the most? S-Curl

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? No

What is your hair type?3b/c

How long is your hair? About 29 inches (waist-length)

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? Not really

How long have you been natural? 7 years

Any pics? Yep, in fotki.

How hard is your hair to comb? Not hard w/ the right detangler.

How often do you wash it? Once a week when wearing natural styles and be-weekly when pressed.

How long does it take to style? 10 to 15 min. tops.

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? Yes, all the time using my maxiglide flat iron.

Does anyone regret going natural? No way

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. Yes

I don’t use products on my hair. I leave in a little conditioner and style. My hair is not really curly so I don’t really have any definition.

I don’t have a main hair style. I change my hair style every couple of weeks.

Buns and twist updos.

My hair is pretty soft, kinda cottony.

No. I do not believe that MSM loosens your hair texture.

What is your hair type?
4a,4b and there are some curlish parts, but it’s mostly nappy

How long is your hair?
It’s bra strap length. I just measured yesterday.

I don’t use products

Since late 1997

Any pics?
Yup. Check my sig.

My hair is easy to comb. Wet and dry

At least once a week. Sometimes twice.

My hair takes at least 12 hours to dry. After it dries then I style. Each hair style is different. Some take a long time to complete, other styles only take a few minutes.

I normally use a flat iron or a Dominican type blow out to straighten. I don’t use a pressing comb. Pressing combs get to hot for me.

I have no regrets.

It feels silky when there is conditioner in it.

This is a really nice survey, I have been natural all my life but i just started taking care of my hair so I don’t know how qualified I am to take the survey right now. I do have semi-long hair 19 inches but I don’t consider myself a true success, yet maybe ill take do the full survey after a few months of truly taking care of my hair so I can give some decent advice. I am checking these posts and seriously thinking about taking some of these regimes into my own

Back