Hair survey...I could use your help!!!

How old are you? 21
What State/country do you live in? : Tennessee
What is your current hair style? : Relaxed
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I was previously natural, however I choose to relax my hair because I found that once my hair grew I was using way too much heat and thought if I want my hair straight...why not relax. BIG MISTAKE:mad:
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : LOOOOOVE it:love:...personally I think it is much more easier to maintain and care for then relaxed hair. You can...if you choose, do very little (practically nothing) to your natural hair and it grows!:thumbsup: At least mine did. However, with relaxed hair you have to do much more to maintain.
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? Sophomore year of college(two years ago)..previously to that time, I will admit that I had a very ignorant and eurocentric view of hair.:nuts: I thought that the only way Black hair could be beautiful was if it was relaxed bone straight. I HATED NAPS!!! But now I love BLACK hair period, whether it is relaxed/texlaxed, natural, locs, etc. I will definatly be transitioning back to natural in the near future.:yay:

How old are you? 22
What State/country do you live in? : California
What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural-Relaxed
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I am currently relaxed, because I wanted a change from natural hairstyles.
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I love natural hair whether it is 2b or 4b. I have 4b hair with 3c/4a in the nape area. When I wear my hair natural, I felt just as beautiful as when I chose to relax it. In fact, I'll probably transition again at least two or three more times in my life
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? I transitioned completely twice already in my life. After the first time, I realized that my hair became longer in a shorter amount of time in its natural state. Moreover, I learned that males were attracted to me whether I was relaxed or natural. The only people who disliked it were other females:( . To make a long story short, I believe that my current thoughts about natural hair started in middle school (my first transition) but fully developed in college (my second transition).

Last edited:
How old are you? 27
What State/country do you live in? : British Columbia, Canada
What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural natural
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I got sick of relaxing my hair
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I love it most of the time.
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? I would say about 5 years ago but, never thought I could pull it off.

How old are you? 24

What State/country do you live in? : Michigan

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? :
I find that my hair is usually easier to maintain while it is relaxed. I only get a relaxer twice a year and it makes a lot of difference in the texture and styling of my hair.

What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I would like to one day try to go natural but, I don't think that I have the patience to maintain this style. I believe that being natural is beautiful and one of these days I may decide to do it all over again.

When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? I think it is nice if, you know how to take care of it. I know that with my daughter (4) She has completely natural hair and if you press it is in the middle of her back but, it is so hard to keep it up. I find myself usually putting it in a puff and braids to keep it from being matted.

You ladies are awesome! Survey results will be gathered and analyzed on Wednesday night so survery will close within 24 hours...there is still time to post...

Thanks again ladies for your honesty and your partiscipation!

with love,
Netta1

How old are you? 19

What State/country do you live in? : Texas

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I didn't really choose..I've been relaxed since I was a little girl, I've just kept it this way now because I like how it looks basically.

What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : It's beautiful. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go natural.

When did your thoughts towards natural hair develop? When I started joining hair care boards. I never knew natural hair could look so beautiful and healthy.

Netta1 said:
Hey sisters in case you didn't know I am doing a hair survey as part of my college paper...I would love to get your opinion :0)..

Here are the survey questions:

How old are you? 23
What State/country do you live in? : Virginia/USA
What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I wanted to see if I could "go" natural. I wanted to see if I was strong enough to cut off all my hair. And then I began to feel as if I was perpatrating on something that wasn't meant for me by having chemically straightend hair. So I willed myself to love my hair, and I do! :)
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I love natural hair!
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? A few years ago, after I got my relaxed hair together. I was like...hmm the real challenge woul dbe if I could do this to my natural hair. And then I found nappturality and it was sealed. So much posotivity and so many beautiful nappies!

Feel free to answer the questions as you see fit and of course be honest. These same questions are also posted on my site, you can answer there if you like...(that way you won't have to give your name)

thank you all

with love,

Netta1
I love your hair Netta, it looks like mine! But mine is much much shorter! :lol:

How old are you? 25
What State/country do you live in? :MD
What is your current hair style? : natural

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? :My hair would never grow past a certain point without begginning to break off.
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I was so ignorant about it and thought relaxed was the only way to go probably cos ive been relaxed since a young age. But now i know better, natural hair is beautiful and manageable and I choose to embrace what the Good Lord gave me because i know God dont make ugly.

When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? When I saw fotki albums of ppl with natural hair and also websites dedicated to enlighten ppl about natural hair.

How old are you? A young 43

What State/country do you live in? : The City that never sleeps

What is your current hair style? : Natural but straightened

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? I like the fact that I can wear my hair anyway I choose now; naturally curly or straight. Life is Good! :

What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : Now that my hair is 100% natural, I absolutely am so glad that I don't have anymore chemicals in my hair. My hair is thriving so much better now and it doesn't break or split like it used to when it was relaxed. I love my natural hair and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? After I saw Pokahontas hair on another hairboard. I said if she can do it, I can too!

Here are my answers:

How old are you? 35

What State/country do you live in? :Sweden

What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural My hair is all natural

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : For many reasons, mainly because it's simple and easy and healthy and beautiful.

What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I've had natural hair all my life so I rarely think about my choice. I feel that nature made the choice for me - this is the way I look, same as with my skin tone and other features.

When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop?
I didn't grow up at a place where there were any relaxers that I knew of. I never saw or met with black women so I never thought about black women's hair. I had the same hair as my friends of the same background.

As a child I thought that everyone's hair is different, my hair was just...my hair. As I got older and realized that some women relaxed their hair I gave it a try twice and realized that for me, natural hair was better. I was too old to learn techniques and skills that no one had taught me and no one around me practised. At least I know how to do my natural hair. And it's easy nowadays.

I also want to be a role model for my younger relatives and friends, that I accept my features just as they are.

As an adult, I love seeing natural hair on black women, that's the most beautiful thing to me :)

How old are you? 28
What State/country do you live in? : nj
What is your current hair style? : texturized
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : much more manageable
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I love it. I just have a really hard time managing my own right now.
When did your thoughts towards natural hair develop? Just before I joined LHCF, late 2004.

How old are you?

What State/country do you live in?
Florida

Relaxed

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style?
I like wearing my hair straight

What are you thoughts towards natural hair?
I might go natural in the future

since i was a child even before i began relaxing

How old are you? 26
What State/country do you live in? Philadelphia, PA
What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural? I have been transitioning to natural for almost 20 months. I usually wear my hair in a phony-pony or bun until I gain enough length to wear a wash-n-go, puff, braidout/twistout. Right now I have been wearing a sew-in weave for 1 month. Loving it.
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : I choose to wear the sew-in through the holidays to give myself a break from hair. 20 months of tranisitioning will do that to you. I also like to think that I'm transitioning my mind.
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I love natural hair. I was a natural until freshman year in college. Then I started doing my own at-home perms and damaged my hair. I started my transition to natural on Aug. 7, 2005 after a horrible relaxer incident and never looked back.
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? I was lucky to get 18 years as a natural. I usually pressed my hair every 2 weeks so now that I am transitioning, I am looking forward to wearing natural styles: braidouts, kinky twists, wash-n-gos. My hair never thrived with a relaxer. It was always underprocessed because I have very thick hair and after 5 years of overlapping, it finally started to break off. The longest my hair has been was bra-strap (as a natural) and APL (relaxed). My current length is 3 inches past shoulder length. My main goal is to have unstretched 100% natural APL or BSL length hair. :)

Netta1 said:
How old are you? 32

What State/country do you live in? : pennsylvania

What is your current hair style? : natural

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : its easy and less expensive for me.

What are your thoughts towards natural hair? : my one thought about natural hair is: it is what it is. its just hair. :lol:

When did your thoughts towards natural hair develop? when i joined the long hair care forum. with proper education, i was able to hold a mirror to myself and focus on what it was i was trying to accomplish.
bottom line: i just want long healthy hair. i enjoy the flexibility my natural hair gives me.

hope this helps your project!

Last edited:
How old are you? 25

What State/country do you live in? : DC

What is your current hair style? : Relaxed/texurized/press and curl/natural: Relaxed but always with texture

Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? :to be more presentable

What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I like natural hair better than straightend hair. But I think it intimidates mainstream business professionals so I am relaxed

After I began to take African American history and literature classes in college. Always looking at the pictures of my mom/dad and aunts when they had the huge afros intrigued me. Growing up my aunt told me this story about a family friend whose daughter went to school relaxed and then went natural and shocked her family. When I made my transition I thought about girls like me and her.

Survey will close in 5 minutes.....

thank you ladies!!!!

with love,

Netta1

*****Survey closed*****

Thanks for all of your amazing support!!!!

Last edited:
How old are you?
What State/country do you live in? :
Ohio/USA
natural
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? :
much more simple and cost-effective for my lifestyle, to be unique, to embrace what so many people have referred to as ugly
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? :
its cool:cool:
in college where individuals are more free to be themselves, I began browsing through websites with hair debates and decided that this would be the best decision for me

oops, didn't realize it was closed

How old are you? 33
What State/country do you live in? : New Jersey, USA
What is your current hair style? : Natural
Why do you choose to wear your hair in the above mentioned style? : It feels thicker softer and healthier.
What are you thoughts towards natural hair? : I think it is beautiful.
When did you thoughts towards natural hair develop? In college

Feel free to answer the questions as you see fit and of course be honest. These same questions are also posted on my site, you can answer there if you like...(that way you won't have to give your name)

Back