NATURALS SURVEY

soslychic

Ok yall just recently the though of.....drumroll.....going natural has crossed my mind
shocked.gif
I was looking in the mirror at my new growth and thinking, this isn't the courest stuff in the world...maybe it wouldn't be that hard to manage...so shocked and excited was I about this new discovery but I needed more information and I was nowhere near a computer
laugh.gif
So I created this survey. I would appreciate it if any natural (or transitioning) gal would reply. I'm really going back and forth with this decision and I need some support
smile.gif
I still have no idea what I'm gonna do but I at least need to know the following:

What products add the most curl definition to your hair?
What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed?
What protective styles do you use?
What products have you found that soften your hair the most?
Do you use any supplements to soften your hair?
What is your hair type?
How long is your hair?
Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair?
How long have you been natural?
Any pics?
How hard is your hair to comb?
How often do you wash it?
How long does it take to style?
Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?
Does anyone regret going natural?
Ok now this may be a really silly question but...
does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me
laugh.gif

natures gate herbal conditioner used as a leave in, Carols daughter healthy hair butter, aphogee shampoo for damaged hair, ACV rinses

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? a free form fro, braidouts
What protective styles do you use? i usually plait my hair and keep it under a scarf until im happy with the length for my face shape

Cream of Nature ultra moisturizing shampoo, my spray bottle with water, apricot oil and rosemary oil, WGO, ORS Carrot oil, CDHHB. . .

my hair can get soft with conditioning, but MSM has made the new growth much softer

What is your hair type? 4b/4a, mysteriously 3c when wet
How long is your hair?
7-8 inches
Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? the same that soften pretty much do that. ACV rinses are great for that.
six years
Any pics?
not yet
if you comb when wet from ends to root, its all good. use a wide tooth comb and dont comb often.
How often do you wash it? i do conditioner washes a few times a week and deep condition once a week. i used to wash once a month, that was okay, and i used to wash once a week/ ten days. i like daily washing/rinsing much better, it keeps my hair soft, shiny and beautiful
braidout updos- five minutes. finger combing a fro or braidout, about the same. twists, 1 1/2 hours max
Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? i plan to straighten for the purposes of my bi-annual trim. i got a dominican blowout and trim in sept. years ago a straightened all the time with a blowdrier and dax to do twists. unnecessary. i plan to press in Feb for a trim and to gauge my growth, to see if i hit my mini goal.
Does anyone regret going natural? never. my i like versatility. i like that it can look straight, crinkly, poofy, wavy. i can rock twists one day and something totally different the next. thats why ill probably never lock my hair- i enjoy options and i like to play.
does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it feel very silky. the key it to find a conditioner that leaves it silky once rinsed out/ dry. ti could be my water, but for example, tropcical avocado didnt feel the same one i rinsed it out. <font color="brown"> </font> <font color="brown"> </font>
cool.gif

I'll try to answer the best that I can:

Abba nourish leaving, feels like sile (QP) and loosley defined (salon selectives)

at the moment I enjoy wearing it pressed, usually when I wear it natural I will opt for small twists on blowdried hair or a low ponypuff

when pressed: low bun (when i'm tired of wearing it out) and sleep on a satin pillow case or wrap at night. When natural: usally leave it in twists for 2 weeks, lubricate the ends of twists with water, but when its in a pony puff I'll wet it the next day and add some mango butter or curl activator (the curl activator can be a little messy/greasy though)

garnier fructus deep conditioner gives me the ultimate slip , nexxus emergency (my hair's alot easier to comb through after this treatment) other daily products: mangobutter, curlactivator, vitamin E oil, John Freida's frizz ease (extra strength)

no

What is your hair type? How long is your hair?
I am multitextured...I'm almost certain that hair at the back of my head is 4a (coily), the sides 3c (wavy), the top and crown is very hard to determine, it is almost straight and has loose S pattern waves (I'm not sure what to call this texture) Lengthwise my hair is 10 inches long in all areas so its layered..the longest layer touches my armpit when pressed.

I'm not sure what you mean here but when its natural I find that feels like silk adds a nice shine to the hair making it look silky? When worn straight , products like silk and seal /smooth'n shine serum create a nice feeling to the hair.

I have been natural for about 2 years and 6 months.

Any pics?
check my sig. bellow
smile.gif

with the right products it can be very easy to comb through (ex. garnier deep cond. gives great slip) I'm also reffering the the hair when it's wet. When it has dried in its natural state you can forgetaboutit. But I usually section my hair after I wash in twists and towel dry, this way my hair is much more manageable and slightly damp.

I wash my hair 1nce a week (deep conditon every time)

when it is pressed , little to not time at all , just unwrapp and everything is in place. Flat ironing the hair from natural to pressed can take some time though (1 hour) and then you might also have to blow dry aswell (another 1/2 hour) In it's natural state the time varies: for small twists , apporx. 1 hr. low pony puff 2 min. also take in to consideration the drying time for defined curls but then again you can always use the diffuser.

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it?
it depends on what conditioner you are using. the few times that it did feel silky to me was when I use the Garnier Deep conditioner, nexxus emergency or sometimes tropical conditioners.

Somedays when I'm usually bored I think about what my hair would be like if it were relaxed again but then I realize that I already have a perfected regimen that's catered to the way my hair is now. If I were to relax it , I would have to build my regimen from scratch again and that could take sometime and I might not like the new regimen (rollersetting, minimal heat and protective styles) so the advantages with being natural out whey the advantages of being relaxed to me. HTH (45 min. later phew!!)

Guys thanks so much. I'm printing your responses. I'd love more responses too. I know theres a lot of naturals out there!
smile.gif

...most curl/definition to your hair? cold-pressed castor oil/ ORS carrot oil
...main style? twist outs baby!
...protective styles? two-strand twists
...products that soften hair? infusium 23 leave-in, allways oil moisturizer, carol's daughter healthy hair butter/hair milk
...supplements to soften hair? flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil makes my scalp less dry therefore softening my hair
...hair type? 4a/b
...how long is my hair? straight-shoulder length, natural- 3-4 inches (major shrinkage going on)
...products to create a silky feeling to hair? cold-pressed castor oil (make sure you get the cold pressed kind)
...how long natural? 1 year... i think
...any pics? not yet, soon though.
...how hard to comb? you crazy? but a comb through this hair? j/k ! I fingercomb hon, but if i must comb, i only do it when hair is wet and i make sure i use a LARGE tooth comb.
...how often i wash? twice a week, more if i work out (allways wash your hair after you work out, this is key!)
...ever straighten? I used to, but my stylist overprocessed my hair and i just had to cut like 3 inches or so a week ago to get rid of the overprocessed hair. A bit of advice, if you do decide to straighten, make sure your hot comb/ flat iron is no hotter than 150 degrees.
...long it takes to style? small two-strand twists- 4 hours, large two-strand twists 1.5 hours
...ever regret going natural? Going natural is the best thing I've ever done. I never thought I would look good with short hair. Well, now I know why Halle Berry seldom grows her hair out! I work in the film industry and my co-workers are predominantly white. Let me tell you, these people love my hair. They're always trying to touch it and pulling on my curls. But more importantly, I love my hair.
silky when conditioning or washing it? yes. but you have to use the right products.

-- Nothing I've tried yet! My hair has no natural curl definition, so it's hard to find a product that magically gives me some, but that doesn't bother me any. A lot of styles give the illusion of definition or curls, so that's what I stick to,
smile.gif

When it's out, I usally wear a twist-out, but I'm loving my 'fro now!

two-strand twists.

Creme of nature Moisturizing Detangling shampoo and Nature's Gate Herbal Jojoba conditioner. That conditioner is miraculous!

No.

What is your hair type?
I dunno. It's closest to 4b, but I don't think it qualifies as such. There aren't any Z-shapes throughout most of my hair.
ohwell.gif

How long is your hair?
I don't know that either. I think most of it is between 4-6 inches.

Not really. I just use Carrot Creme and water for moisture.

Since January 2003.

Any pics?
Plenty! My fotki album.

Well I don't try very hard to put a comb through it. Combs cause much breakage! But I have little to no trouble styling it with my fingers and with a hair pick. I do use a wide-toothed comb for detangling though.

Once or twice a week, depending on what styles I'm wearing and how busy I am.

It depends on the style. Smaller twists usually take me between an hour and a half to two hours. Those take the most time, but they last longest. Other styles like twist-outs, puffs, etc. take me less than 5 minutes! The there are in-between styles, like pony-puffs and bantu-knots, and larger twists, which range between 15 minutes and a half hour.

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?
No! My hair doesn't like heat. Plus I've heard horror stories about parts of the hair not reverting after straightening!
shocked.gif
Too scared, and I really don't have the desire.

Not me!
grin.gif

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it.

With that shampoo and conditioner I use, it feels close!
grin.gif

Thanks!!

One more question to add for anyone else who responds. For those with long natural hair, does your hair hang down? I don't mean swingy and straight down, but I mean lots of small curls with some length and weight to them? I wanna go natural, but I still need that length eventually.

Hey,check out my album below. I describe some of my techniques.

note on curl definition- a year ago i wouldve called myself a 4b+ with no curl definition at all. since daily washing, giving up grease and generally learning how to take care of my hair, the curl definition is definitely there, especially with the products i listed. thing is, its get most curly when wet/damp; im trying to learn how to keep the wet look when dry. looks like natures gate herbal as a leave-in will help that thus far. also, repeated braiding/ twisting can "train" your hair into a curl pattern. at least thats whats happened to me.

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
note on curl definition- a year ago i wouldve called myself a 4b+ with no curl definition at all. since daily washing, giving up grease and generally learning how to take care of my hair, the curl definition is definitely there, especially with the products i listed. thing is, its get most curly when wet/damp; im trying to learn how to keep the wet look when dry. looks like natures gate herbal as a leave-in will help that thus far. also, repeated braiding/ twisting can "train" your hair into a curl pattern. at least thats whats happened to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea how encouraging that is. I too think that I am starting to see 3c/4a curl definition whereas before I would have thought that I had none (4b). So where can I get the nature's gate herbal leave in? How much does it cost?

-s-curl, LUST as a leave in, pantene hydrating curls, lustrasilk cholesterol especially when mixed with honey and olive oil, and black and sassy creamy set mixed with a hair cream.

-everything...my hair is versatile right now since its cold out i mostly wear protective styles like buns and twists. i do more "out"styles when it gets warmer like wash and go's, puffs. twist and braid outs.

- buns, french twists, 2 strand twists, cornrows, box braids with no added hair

- any good cholesterol conditioners. shea butter pomade, s-curl.

i take biotin on and off in addition to a multi

What is your hair type?
4 a/b with some 3c

How long is your hair?
to shoulders when nappy, when pressed 1" passed bra strap

s-curl and my beloved shea butter pomade

-since 98

Any pics?
-as soon as i get a digital camera i'll put an album up

-Impossible to comb when dry. Easy to comb when wet with lots of conditioner preferably a thick "cholesterol conditioner"

-depending on my mood once a week or every 2 weeks with shampoo. i may do a few rinses or conditioner washes in between. i dont have a set schedule.

-twists take the longes a little over 1 hr to do but can last me 2 weeks or more. everything else less than 5 min.

havent straightened in a few months now but when i last did it i flat ironed which i now prefer over a hot comb. usually a straightening session takes me 2-3 hrs. from shampooing to the end.

never.

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it
yes especially with a good conditioning treatment

Thermasilk Condition and Control Cream
Afro puff
None yet, but I'm planning to experiment
Elasta QP Mango Butter and BB Oil Moisturizer
Nope
What is your hair type?
4a
How long is your hair?
4-6 inches. I'm just guessing, I've never formally measured
I don't know exactly what you mean. I don't think I do though.
13 months natural, 2 days short of 8 months 100% nappy
Any pics?
I got a Big Chop album at photos.yahoo.com/azure2903
Wet - Easy!
Damp - Alright (gotta be more careful)
Dry - damn near impossible!
Conditioner washes almost every day, shampooing once/week
'bout 5 minutes for a semi-picked out puff, longer for the perfect pick-out and less for a shake-and-go puff
err..uhh...I do blowouts erry once in a while, but that's just to make my fro bigger. I bought a flat iron and used it, but I just got a "straight fro" (does that make any sense?). I plan to try again after Thanksgiving (I refuse to straighten again just for a holiday, 'specially when I don't know exactly what I'm doing!)
Uh-uh. One of the best things I could have done for myself. Not by itself, but the momentum of the motivation to go natural is about to show itself in other areas of my life.

No, but it does feel nice and soft.

You ask many questions, Grasshoppa.
laugh.gif

<font color="red">1. </font> What products add the most curl definition to your hair?
Not a product but a method. Braiding my hair while it's wet creates really good definition for when I wear it in a curly puff.

<font color="red">2. </font> What is your main style when you wear it out?
High curly puff or a low "cotton tail" puff. When pressed, I wear braidouts. I alternate between natural and pressed but for the past month, I've been natural.

<font color="red">3. </font> What protective styles do you use?
Braidouts on straightened hair because it's a no-heat style

<font color="red">4.</font> What products have you found that soften your hair the most?
Herbal Essence Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm
Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner
Pantene Hydrating Curls/Pantene Smooth and Sleek Conditioner

<font color="red">5. </font> Do you use any supplements to soften your hair?
no

<font color="red">6.</font> What is your hair type?
Hmmm. It has a cottony look and feel when picked out into a fro. It's wavy when wet. It's nappy wavy when air dried and not combed. 3c/4a?

<font color="red">7.</font> How long is your hair?
Natural hair hits my shoulders, some clumps are slightly past shoulders. Pressed hair is a couple of inches away from midback. I need to take pics. I promised EgyptianSands16 that I would.
crazy.gif

<font color="red">8.</font> Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair?
I use conditioners to make my hair soft.

<font color="red">9.</font> How long have you been natural?
My last touchup was in early 2001. Before that, I was off and on natural.

<font color="red">10.</font> Any pics?
Not yet. Maybe I can get one our DFW members to take some good pics of my hair?
scratchchin.gif

<font color="red">11.</font> How hard is your hair to comb?
Very easy when wet and conditioned. Difficult but not impossible when dry.

<font color="red">12.</font> How often do you wash it?
Conditioner wash almost daily. Shampoo or alternative cleansers as needed.

<font color="red">13.</font> How long does it take to style?
Curly puff requires conditioner wash, braid while wet, wait a while, then unbraid. I've been doing this every morning for a week before going work and it takes me almost an hour. Waiting for the braids to "set" my style is what takes the most time. I just iron my clothes, eat breakfast, etc while I'm waiting. Sometimes I'm running behind and have to undo the braids while driving.
look.gif

The curly definition lasts all day!
weird.gif

<font color="red">14.</font> Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb?
I flatiron with a narrow plated Jilbere ceramic iron I bought from Sally's. I apply avocado oil on wet hair then air dry or blow dry on cold before straightening. My hair is usually still damp after drying but that hasn't caused any major problems while flatironing.

<font color="red">15.</font> Does anyone regret going natural?
Not in the least! My hair looks and feels sooo much healthier without the relaxer.
smile.gif

<font color="red">16.</font> Ok now this may be a really silly question but...
laugh.gif

Yes it does, especially with the Pantene conditioners.
up.gif

wow..where do I begin, lol

1. For more curl definition I do a condition wash or I use a little care free instant moisturizer.

2. My main styles are either press, puffy buns, or cornrows right now.

3. My Protective styles are buns or plaits.

4. Products that soften my hair: hot 8 oil/hot six oil/ or vos/suave conditioners.

5. No supplements except a multi-vitamin.

6. Type 3c/4a,Kinky/Curly

7. Last time I measured it was 18 inches from start of hairline to ends and since then, I trimmed my hair a little, so I'm not too sure how long it is now.

8. Condition washes help to give my hair a silky feeling.

9. I've been natural for almost 6 years.

10. No pics yet.

11. My hair's easy to comb with the right conditioner. Suave conditioner really helps out.

12. I wash once a week, sometimes twice.

13. When I press, all I have to do is keep it wrapped at night so the next day it looks neat. Cornrolls take about 15-20 mins, without extensions.

14. I straighten using a hot comb.

15. No regrets going natural. It's more easier on me

16. My hair does feel silky when I wash and condition it.

No particular product. On some days, it looks curly &amp; other days it’s all frizzy.

Usually a high puff.

French braids, cornrows, various head coverings.

Sta-Sof-Fro has made my hair feel soft, but I’m not currently using any softening products.

No.

What is your hair type?
Mostly 4a – pen springs in the back, pen-sized curls at the crown, and some hairs that stick straight out like kinky wires.

How long is your hair?
Shoulder-length when straightened, but with layers.

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feeling to your hair?
No.

Big-chopped January 2003.

Any pics?
Yes, but no online album.

It’s easy to comb. I always use the same technique whether wet or dry, combing from ends to scalp &amp; taking my time.

Once or twice a week.

Thirty minutes to an hour for a style that I’ll keep for a few days.

Sometimes I’ll straighten it using a curling iron or straightening comb.

No. Although, I do regret that awkward stage where the hair is too long for a TWA &amp; too short for a nice puff. I think I should have worn a nice protective hairstyle to get through it faster.

No. It feels like wet thread.

Ok, here goes...

Water! hehe, jus kidding...
Gel
ohwell.gif

Curly hair Solutions leave-in/curl keeper
Care free curl (when applied carefully to each potential curl)

Curly head (somewhat)

Buns, braids

Care Free Curl Moisturizer
Leave-ins/setting lotions (even when not setting)
Conditioners

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? NO

What is your hair type? 3c/4a/b (What I'm calling 3c is actually hair at the crown that refuses to stand up and just lays down in a lazy s pattern)

How long is your hair? 8-12 inches is a safe guess

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? Ummm...I guess:
Setting lotions
Conditioners

How long have you been natural? 2 years

Any pics? sure (just add http://) f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thepanther07/lst?.dir=/My+Hair+Journey&amp;.view=t

Impossible when dry
Fine when wet! (Usually start the process in the shower)

How often do you wash it? Once a week

Not long if in a simple style (such as ponytail)
But when I do some "curls out" syle...goodness, I have to make sure hair is moisturized, curls are defined etc.
I wouldn't even talk about when I straighten it...

Ok since you insist- yes, by washing/conditioning etc first, roller-setting, letting it dry over night, then using a flat-iron to straighten it and a hot comb here and there for the stubborn parts...

Does anyone regret going natural? Heck no!!! One of the best things I've ever done!!

Absolutely! When using like Pantene and other good product lines...

Here are my answers:

I don't know, my hair just curls when wet. I used to use black and sassy moisturizing milk for curl definition but now just water.

What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? Curly head

What protective styles do you use? I don't use protective styles

What products have you found that soften your hair the most? Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, CD Hair Butter &amp; Hair Milk, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? MSM, Evening Primrose

What is your hair type? 3c/4a

How long is your hair? Betweem 6 &amp; 7 inches

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? Not really

How long have you been natural? 1 year &amp; 2 months

Any pics? No, not yet. Need a digital camera.

How hard is your hair to comb? Very difficult to comb the 4a parts, Easy to comb the 3c parts when they are dry or wet.

How often do you wash it? It depends on how much products I am using at the time &amp; when it begins to itch. So sometimes, once a week or once every 2 weeks or once every 4 days.

How long does it take to style? 5 minutes

Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? I only blowdry when I need to trim it.

Does anyone regret going natural? No

does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. I have no idea why but this is kinda important to me Yes.

I am a long-haired natural (mid-back length stretched). My hair has major shrinkage, but I accept that that is what it does, so showing off my length is not an issue for me. My hair shrinks to my shoulders.

Pantene Hydrating-Curls Frizz Control Treatment

Twist-out

two-stranded twists (either small or medium sized)

Pantene Hydrating Curls products

I take supplements for overall health. My vitamins:
Powernutrient (multivitamin in drink form)
MSM
Vitamin B6
Flex-a-min (combination of MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin)
Flaxseed Oil

What is your hair type?
I am between 4a and 4b

How long is your hair?
My hair stretches to mid-back length, but shrinks to shoulder length.
No.

How long have you been natural? I got my last relaxer in July 1997 and transitioned for two and a half years.

Any pics?
Yes, check out my album.

Not hard at all. I only detangle my hair when wet.

I use shampoo every three weeks or so. During the other weeks, I wash with conditioner.

It takes a while, but that is because my hair is very long.
It ranges from between 2 hours to 4 hours (including shampooing/conditioning time).

I have not straightened my hair since June 2001. Since then, my hair really started growing. Plus, I have come to love my hair in its natural state, so straightening is no longer an option for me.

Not at all, in fact I should have done it much sooner.

What products add the most curl definition to your hair? I find that some kind of moisterizing haircreme and some clear gel gives me shine and definition.
What is your main style when you wear it out? A fro, curly head, pressed? I ususally wear a natural curly or braid out or pressed.
What protective styles do you use? Buns, french twists, phonypony baggie method, braided weave my style 90% of the time I've been on the longhair quest.
What products have you found that soften your hair the most? Cholesterol conditioner I use tons of it,and african shea butter, WGO and other oils.
Do you use any supplements to soften your hair? MSM but I used it for speeding up growth, then i found out it may soften hair.
What is your hair type? I have a real problem defining my hair since it "fits" into different categories (2,3,4) according to Mr. know-it-all Andre, but I just call it 3c/Ciiii(Fia).
How long is your hair? My hair is mid-lower BS Straightened (from last official measurement 8/03), and shoulder length natural(shrinkage and puffyness included).
smile.gif

Do you use any products to create a "silky" feelin to your hair? cholesterol and oils, henna (I love henna).
love.gif

How long have you been natural? I was a natrual for most of my life except for like 4 years relaxing, coloring, hightlights, and hair abuse, then I cut it all off and started fresh, that was 5 years ago, I found this board about 2 years ago.
Any pics? No, pic's.
How hard is your hair to comb? Not hard at all, I just need a wide tooth comb that's sturdy, I detangle with my hands then from ends up holding my length.
How often do you wash it? When it's braided 2 weeks when it's down 1x or 2x a week depending on it's cold outside or not.
How long does it take to style? 5 mins-bun or twist, fluff the braidout and go if natural. If straight same.
Do you ever straighten it? If so how? Blow drying and/or flat ironing and/or hot comb? I ususally blow dry with revo styler medium heat 2"x2" sections of hair and smooth frizz eaze extra strength on. It's pretty much straight but if I want the super flat straight look, I flat iron, I don't use pressing combs on my hair anymore.
Does anyone regret going natural? No, I love the versatiliy, that I can color and highlight my hair without it possibly falling out, and I love the fact that I am not a slave to getting a touch up every 2-3months.(no offense to the relaxed sisters)
Does your hair feel silky when you're washing and conditioning it. Yes, it's great, it feels thick but silky and soft.
love.gif

hth

My contribution:

Cold water rinses do it for me.

What is you main style when you wear it out
A stretched out fro with curly ends (airdried in pony puff)

A ponytail/puff with the tail flipped up and fastened to my head with a hair comb or barrette

What products have you used that soften your hair the most?
Conditioners

Not internally, but I add Castor oil to my leave in conditioner which provides added softness

What is your hair type?
Not sure. I describe it as soft, kinky,fluffy, afro hair. 3C or 4A is my best guess by typing system. It's fine and VERY soft &amp; lightweight.

How long is your hair?
About 9-10"

2-1/2 years

Do you use any products to create a "silky feeling to your hair"?
I don't use any products for this purpose. The natural texture of my hair is soft like really soft yarn. It feels silky when I straighten it but not in it's natural state.

Any pics?
rightyair': http://lake.smugmug.com/Portfolio

I only comb when wet with conditioner in and it's very easy to detangle that way. If I need to style it dry, I spritz it with a combination of water, conditioner, &amp; castor oil that I keep in a spray bottle and brush it with a boar bristle brush.

As needed. Usually that is about 2x a week. I rinse it every day and conditioner wash.

I wear simple styles and it takes me about 5 minutes.

Do you ever straighten it?
With a blowdryer/comb attachment and only to trim. It's easier for me to assess the condtion of the ends when it's straightened but I'm all thumbs at styling straight hair now. It's much easier for me to style it natural.

Nooooooooo WAY!! Smartest hair move I ever made.

Does your hair feel silky when you're washing &amp; conditining it?
It feels kind of silky when it's wet just after I've rinsed the conditioner. "Silky" doesn't really track too well with my hair goals though.

To finish of I'd say that going natural takes a bit of commitment. It took me about 8 months to a year to really get a handle on how to best handle it and what products to use. If you're used to seeing and feeling your hair straight it might take a while to be able to detect the condition &amp; needs of your naturally textured hair, as well as what products are working and what isn't. As for me, I've never had so much fun playing in my hair before.

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
Babyblue, I was wondering...what is shea butter pomade?

[/ QUOTE ]

its the kemi oyl shea butter pomade i discovered it this summer and its probably one of the best products i've found for making my hair soft, shiny and silk feeling.

you can make shea butter pomade- i do and nothing gets my hair softer. im sure there must be some recipes on the hair recipes board. lbell has a recipe on
hairfoodforthought.com

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
Thanks babyblue. Where did you find it?

[/ QUOTE ]]

unfortunatly i've only been able to find it at "National wholesale liquidators" in NY where they have the full kemi oil line. i havent had luck finding it at the BSS in my neighborhood. Maybe you'll have better luck in your area. it cost me $4.99. HTH
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
you can make shea butter pomade- i do and nothing gets my hair softer. im sure there must be some recipes on the hair recipes board. lbell has a recipe on
hairfoodforthought.com

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you make it hotshot?

Back