My fiancé’s mom told me not to marry her son

I did not expect that ending at all. I'm so sorry for your friend and hope she's getting help for her mental health. To think you've lived with someone, they've done that and are still out there must be a total head... spinner
If she had broken up with him when the MIL warned her this could have happened anyway so I hope she's not berating herself too much.
Did the MIL say anything after?

*It’s not my scenario by the way! It happened to a friend of mine years ago.*

anyway, you found the love of your life and you are deeply in love with him. He treats you very well, is attentive and very attractive. He’s everything you ever wanted in a man. You get along great with his parents. You feel so lucky. One day, his mom tells you not to marry him. You’re too good for him. There’s something not right in the head with this boy she says but doesn’t elaborate. She changes the subject and doesn’t wanna talk about it anymore. Anyway, What would you do?

*I’ll come back in a few days to say how the story ends. I wanna hear your opinions about it first*

That's quite ominous, her words. Maybe she was trying to sound ominous but in reality she just doesn' t like the girl?

Regardless, I would end it.

In the first scenario, I'd have saved myself issues down the line (possibly). Especially as she refused to explain her words - that in itself is wrong, shows she doesn't trust me enough to disclose something that may be IMPORTANT for me to know.

In the second, I'd have saved myself from a manipulative,
secretly resentful mother-in-law, which can break a marriage.

I think men are unnecessary (ETA: to cling to at your own expense) if you are born into a family and culture where you can be independent, have fun, and have an education with which you can be financially independent, though. Not everyone is so lucky. Down the line you can withdraw and heartache will be there but at least you have everything else, and real hope of surviving in the world.
Not everyone has that.

Last edited:
I had a dude's mom tell me something wasn't right with her son. She was NOT lying. It's crazy though how many mothers will look you dead in the face and smile knowing their son is no good, but still want you to be with him.
It is crazy! The moms who give fake hope for the relationship are just as bad as those who give no warnings.

They basically do it so their son becomes the responsibility of whomever they marry. The mom may not have the heart to kick out her son with abusive behaviour, next best option is to encourage his relationship. Pretty selfish in my opinion.

Back